Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Does the new status system affect the dot dmg of status heavy shotguns?

Xapheneon

Take two weapons, one is a single-shot, one is a pellet based. If they both have equal damage, the same statuses and 100% status then the dot dmg of the procs should be equal

The calculation was something similar to this

(weapon's dmg) / (pellet count) = dmg of the pellet

(pellet dmg) * (status effect dmg multiplier) = proc dmg / pellet

So if every pellet causes proc, then the dot dmg of a single-shot weapon and the dot dmg of the shotgun is equal. 

BUT, if the pellets have less, than 100% chance of causing a proc then you lose dot damage. In the new system if you have a 300% status chance pellet based shotgun then you will cause 3 procs on average. If the weapon has more than 3 pellets this means, that the damage of the pellets that caused no status won't be calculated in the dot dmg of the status effect. This means that for a 10 pelleted shotgun instead of 10 small procs ( witch had the same combined value as the single-shot weapon's one bigger proc) you only get 3 small procs, resulting for a 70% loss in dot dmg

P.s.: I am probably just an idiot rambling unintelligibly, but please reply and tell me where am I wrong

Scott stated plainly there will be different mechanics for DoT versus state changing versus permanent effect statuses and yes, shotguns with less than 100% status are getting a "nerf" but it's actually a higher range of effects and procs now that 99% means 99% and not 37-45%, so the nerf will not be as hard as a hit as you think, especially for permanent procs like fire and corrosive.

1 hour ago, Xapheneon said:

I am probably just an idiot rambling unintelligibly, but please reply and tell me where am I wrong

As far as I can tell you are right. The damage of, for example, a slash proc from a shotgun was calculated per pellet - in other words: A single slash proc from a shotgun does very little damage, you need several.

If this part of the calculation is not changed (and there was no mention of it in the devstream), damaging status effects from shotguns may become pointlessly weak.

2 hours ago, -Kittens- said:

Scott stated plainly there will be different mechanics for DoT versus state changing versus permanent effect statuses and yes, shotguns with less than 100% status are getting a "nerf" but it's actually a higher range of effects and procs now that 99% means 99% and not 37-45%, so the nerf will not be as hard as a hit as you think, especially for permanent procs like fire and corrosive.

I by status shotguns I meant 100% status, pellet based shotguns. If a shotgun couldn't reach 100%, it was pointless to build them for status. 

This is a nice buff for shotguns, like the Hek, but a very serious nerf for shotguns like the Tigris prime or the Redeemer.

I believe this could be unintentional, because they called it a buff like six times. They are tripling the status chanches, but in my opinion that is symply way too low. For example the Redeemer on 100% status caused 10 status procs per shot (4 gas, 4 magnetic, 2 slash is the most common in my opinion), and a blast. That triggers condition overload 5 or 6 times. Doing just 3 statuses per shot wouldn't make CO less potent (gas counts twice and the blast is still there), but it would cause the gas to be useless AF. You still would want to run gas, because it counts twice for condition overload, but it would get rid of the DoT dmg. Making it a just a tad weaker, but a very generic feeling shotgun

Edited by Xapheneon
Typo

The only thing that's ever mattered for DoT is per-pellet status chance, because per-pellet chance is a raw percentage of your damage that's going to get dropped onto your status procs. If a shotgun in the new system can't be modded to reach 100% chance per pellet, then whatever % you end up with is how much of your damage translates. (And now, if the per-pellet chance was 150, you'd be dropping 150% of your damage into those procs.)

However, the scale is entirely linear now, and there's a new big status chance mod. The reason that anything under 100% was trash in the old system is that as -Kittens- was saying, old-system 98% was 50% per pellet on just six pellets (I.e. before bringing multishot mods into this and making it look even worse.) If you only get to 75%, you're still at least getting 75% of the damage through, rather than 20%.

Edited by CopperBezel

Being able to inflict meaningful damage that is no longer halved or more at 70% status is a buff, period. Being able to inflict another effect on damage instance >>>per instance<<< is a gigantic buff, on par with current red crit melee. Shotguns having ALL base status increased by 300% is a buff, period. What remains to be seen are:

How hard the ceiling nerf effects these buffs.

If getting multiproc with ______ is actually useful. Impact proc is garbage now, and it's gonna be real interesting to see what double impact does, cause at this point making clown noises would be a straight upgrade to the Boar, for example.

The Tigris being absurd relies on proccing corrosive or viral to go with the slash, not slash alone. If you use harrow and hunter munitions to generate a single slash proc, you'll find a 30000K single slash proc just fine for evaporating everything but bosses, and you have no clue what double slash proccing does yet, so it's simply too soon to declare the tigris dead.

Aside: The redeemer A is still broken and is still nerfed already and maybe it should be cause while "infinte range melee" is a neat concept, it's also spammy and cheesy as hell. You'll remember Scott said flatly as well "balance does not mean fun"

Other aside: The phage already out DPS's the tigris on sustained damage by quite a wide margin, so calling for pitchforks like what happened with sparring is premature.