Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield Gating and 'Skill'

V0LK

On 2020-02-28 at 6:21 PM, [DE]Rebecca said:

Foe: Enemies - Corpus in particular - also have received a bit of a Shield Gating, but with skillful gameplay you can overcome this.

Oh, come on! Warframe is one of the least skill based games! Everybody runs with Ignis and nukes whole rooms with a press of a 4! What skill are you talking about? So these players will not even notice any changes, but players who want to use sniper rifle or a bow sure as hell will! Bows and slow weapon have been already overshadowed by full-autos and it'll be harder to use. At least now it is possible to line up a shot and kill multiple enemies thanks to Punch Through but not for long it is.

While I'm aiming for that perfect headshot with my bow, Mr. Shadowstalker_666 will bullet jump into a room, hit 4 and will be gone. 

Solution is quite simple: make sniper rifles and bows ignore shield gating. That way there will be a niche for these weapon. Low rate of fire and long reload will not make it OP, just not completely useless.

Pardon my English!

5% of damage dealt to the shields bypasses the shield gate. Which means if you're talking about low levels, you will still be able to bodyshot everything with a bow; and if the levels are high, your hypothetical ally by the name Shadowstalker_666 won't be able to kill rooms by pressing 4.

Hell, even now there's no reason to not aim for the head with a bow or a sniper since Argon Scope exists.

• Like 1

I'm thinking, the reason DE said " but with skillful gameplay you can overcome this " is because they are really aware that adding just a little difficulty into the game would make a lot of people lose their mind. Lots of people prefer challenge but lots of people do not.

Everyone is a critic.

• Like 1

22 hours ago, V0LK said:

Solution is quite simple: make sniper rifles and bows ignore shield gating.

They already will ignore shield gating if you aim for the head (skillful gameplay).  Something you should already be doing with these weapon types anyway. 

• Like 2

5% bleedthrough might not sound like much, but remember these weapons are dealing 5-figure sums of damage when properly modded. at regular starchart levels bows and snipers will still be able to oneshot most things, and you still have punchthrough. if you're struggling for headshots, guess what? you have CC powers: use them to lock an enemy in place, then you have more than enough time to shoot them in the face. only enemies that are a struggle to headshot are infested and Sentients, but infested have neither armour nor shields, so are easily killed through most means anyway, and it's much easier to just overwhelm a sentient with multiple elements and use operator to strip resistances when they get them. 

• Like 1