Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

2 small changes to improve lich hunting

rstripn

1) Randomize their dialogue

Personality quirks are a good start but it still seems like I've faced only two liches: one male, one female. After 30-40 liches I can recite the lines in my sleep. Anything that makes them more distinct would be awesome. I don't have any great ideas, but maybe to start just have a large bank of random voice lines and have each lich choose a subset of them randomly at spawn.

2) Unique mission start transmissions

In theory every lich-node sabotage mission is sabotaging something particularly important to your lich. Every spy node is giving you lich-specific knowledge. You're not just killing things to make the lich angry, you're actively opposing their influence. Make that clear in the transmission at the start of mission, instead of the generic Lotus transmission for the mission type.

56 minutes ago, Baterial said:

copsmetic changes are not improvments

I mean, in this case they are.

One of the things that make liches so dull is that each one is the exact same thing, not just in mechanics, but in flavour. My latest lich was the first one with a quirk and was considerably brighter to fight against because she was that teensiest bit different. She said different things sometimes in a fight, and she behaved the same. 99% of that lich was identical to everything else, but that tiny extra wrinkle made a big difference. Same reason why Sonic, and other speedrun-focused games have good music. You're going to be listening to it a lot, so it's going to grate if it's not good.

They should change in size also. Just because you are big doesn't mean you're stronger. Sometimes smaller equal quickness and if you cannot hit them while they can hit you, you're as good as dead meat. Make some of the Liches quick moving all over the map or they keep charging you. They should feel like a challenge not like every other enemy who is without a brain.

5 hours ago, kwlingo said:

They should change in size also. Just because you are big doesn't mean you're stronger. Sometimes smaller equal quickness and if you cannot hit them while they can hit you, you're as good as dead meat. Make some of the Liches quick moving all over the map or they keep charging you. They should feel like a challenge not like every other enemy who is without a brain.

I focused on changes I figured would be relatively easy to code. DE is constantly launching serious new content on a timetable most (all) other game companies would consider insane; they can't do that and institute a lot of major changes in existing systems even when they really like those ideas. The simpler a change is, the more likely it is to make it.

13 hours ago, Loza03 said:

I mean, in this case they are.

One of the things that make liches so dull is that each one is the exact same thing, not just in mechanics, but in flavour. My latest lich was the first one with a quirk and was considerably brighter to fight against because she was that teensiest bit different. She said different things sometimes in a fight, and she behaved the same. 99% of that lich was identical to everything else, but that tiny extra wrinkle made a big difference. Same reason why Sonic, and other speedrun-focused games have good music. You're going to be listening to it a lot, so it's going to grate if it's not good.

Exactly. :)

The first quirk i ran into was vanity and omg it made it so much more fun. I've seen most of the quirks at this point and that one's still my favorite.