Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Would you be okay if every planet was open world?

kwlingo

I'd be OK with each planet having a larger world map but what got me into the game was the procedural generated tile based level system. As long as they keep making new tiles and the "open world" is just gravy then everything is gravy. If however they abandon the core of their game for the larger maps.... not so much 

• Like 1

I am more than happy to see all planet has its open-world map.

Actually I was expecting Mars open-world before they announced that they didnt want to continue because personally I really enjoy red beds landscape of Mars tileset

I think depending on the planets environment then yes.
I was really hoping for Mars to have its own open world with a returning populace to rebel against the greneer.
But we will have to see.

Sedna maybe a difficult one as its like a greneer fortress. But if they did I could see it like giedi prime from dune.

But lets get those bug fixes done and expand some missions first eh. 😄

If they bring more to the open worlds I could see a use for it, but currently they are a bit too empty.

Toroid farming and the scaling of fortuna was a good step in the right direction since it brought some resemblance to MMORPG spot farming like in the good old days. With how RJ now works I wouldnt be surprised if they add "dungeons" on the different open worlds with their own objectives like possible bosses etc. and special loot. That would bring the zones more to life. Plus I'd kill for events in the zones, like different types of Orbs or other things that pop from time to time. Like domas but more fun and more rewarding.

21 minutes ago, SneakyErvin said:

If they bring more to the open worlds I could see a use for it, but currently they are a bit too empty.

Toroid farming and the scaling of fortuna was a good step in the right direction since it brought some resemblance to MMORPG spot farming like in the good old days. With how RJ now works I wouldnt be surprised if they add "dungeons" on the different open worlds with their own objectives like possible bosses etc. and special loot. That would bring the zones more to life. Plus I'd kill for events in the zones, like different types of Orbs or other things that pop from time to time. Like domas but more fun and more rewarding.

Would be interesting with dungeons. Im all for new ideas that may work.

I believe doing nodes are okay but the feeling of open world gameplay is more immersive vs single nodes. Never having to extact in open worlds means we can go from mission to mission and planet to planet never extracting until we go to Cetus or Fortuna. If they get ride of node and just place those mission types right into open world mission, they have a solid solution for a permanent Squad Link setup.

1 hour ago, kwlingo said:

Would be interesting with dungeons. Im all for new ideas that may work.

I believe doing nodes are okay but the feeling of open world gameplay is more immersive vs single nodes. Never having to extact in open worlds means we can go from mission to mission and planet to planet never extracting until we go to Cetus or Fortuna. If they get ride of node and just place those mission types right into open world mission, they have a solid solution for a permanent Squad Link setup.

Yep. I hope they add "endless" space aswell, so we do objectives on an RJ map and more pop up gradually as we complete others. Kinda wish something like that for normal missions to where it isnt always defense or survival but instead something that may start out as capture then turns into exterminate or sabotage and you can just keep going with solid rewards tied to it.

Not if each one is a island with syndicate standing grinds and repetitive bounties...let alone the issue of each base in Venus feeling devoid of life or purpose...Now if they went Monster Hunter or Attack On Titan where you walk out of a gate or elevator and you're not the top of the food chain then I might be interested in a excited capacity rather than the dreading of another ho-hum I gotta catch eighty fish to make a brace for my space teen blues while the boss I need to fight with it is locked behind six months of selling mcguffins to a vendor in order to access it...

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey

If by more "open world" you mean more of PoE/Orb, then no, it would really only make sense to have enough for each faction and just expand on them. If by open world you mean actual open world, where a good portion of a planet can actually be explored, and there would actually be content, and then you could just have the railjack used to travel between planets, then sure.

It could be fine if DE could do an open world with more than "wilderness plains area with some hills, and mountains, and also water that you're not allowed to touch" you know something varried, like literally anything other than that. Also if they were any good at coding, game testing, quality assurance and bug fixes.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

Yep. I hope they add "endless" space aswell, so we do objectives on an RJ map and more pop up gradually as we complete others. Kinda wish something like that for normal missions to where it isnt always defense or survival but instead something that may start out as capture then turns into exterminate or sabotage and you can just keep going with solid rewards tied to it.

This is a great idea in my opinion!

There is a reason why games like GrandTheftAuto 5/ Skyrim are still a top played game today. Open worlds allowing players to keep running around grinding and doing whatever they want, killing hundreds of hours and still be fun and entertaining.

If there was no Squad Link coming into the game then I'd say leave Plaines and Fortuna the way it is.

10 hours ago, Yamazuki said:

If by more "open world" you mean more of PoE/Orb, then no, it would really only make sense to have enough for each faction and just expand on them. If by open world you mean actual open world, where a good portion of a planet can actually be explored, and there would actually be content, and then you could just have the railjack used to travel between planets, then sure.

Back at TennoCon 2019 Steve stated they wanted to make the game feel as one. My interpretation is Open World and no more nodes, flying Railjack from planet to planet. Along the way encountering enemy ships. Park your ship anywhere on open world maps and go do your missions. As you are doing your mission enemies can spot your ship and invade your ship. If they take your ship you can have others in pubs to help chase down your ship to take it back from enemies. But none of that has happen.

Edited by kwlingo

I would be okay for the entire Origin System to be "open world", but only if it was truly dynamic. What I mean by that, is that I'd like to have Corpus boarding Grineer galeons whilst I am doing a mission, for example, without necessarily it being an "event"... just the universe that does its things while I do mine

I don't even consider Orb Vallis and PoE as a real open world.

A true open world should be filled with a lot of things to discover, which makes you feel like you are adventuring. There should be pieces of stories, lots of things and secrets to reveal, explore. We could gain something permanent such as small crit chance stats to all weapons, or a unique weapon, or a unique non-purchasable skin, or a unique modular part which can only be obtained in unique ways. We could make friend with NPC, decide to help resolving their problems or not, building your own stories, your own journeys, etc of etc.

Right now both current "open world" maps are just like an expansion of regular maps.

I'd love it if the whole game was open world, with the nodes functioning as dungeons, as long as you could still bounce to nodes you've beaten instantly.

That would, however, be such an insurmountable amount of work I don't see it happening.

On the one hand: I like the visual and lore design of the current open world zones, and would like to see a few more. At the very least one for Infestation. I'd also like to see one that's an inhabited city, rather than a wilderness.

But, on the other hand, the current open world zones do have a few problems. The main one, for me, is that they don't feel truly open; they're just really big mission maps. You're not getting to really explore the wilderness - you're just playing in the backyard. The other problem is that each open zone is a huge time investment both for the players and the developers, so I can't say I can really see a point in having a dozen different ones. Five or six is probably the maximum we would ever want.

What I would like (despite the obviously massive development cost) would be something that made the entire game feel more like an open world. As it is, the whole star chart is basically an elaborate menu screen. Which is fine, but it could be more, too. Being able to go down to the surface (or the equivalent of the surface) at a random location on any planet would be really interesting.