Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Colyeses

Control scheme questions in regards to a concept I'm building

I'm trying to build a frame that's very dependent on ability usage, something with an aggressive kit that's focused on capturing a sort of 'mage' style play. To that end, I'm trying to cram multiple abilities into the kit, and I'm running into a bit of a control scheme trip-up. 

I do -not- want to use the Ivara/Vauban/Wisp thing of cycle-and-cast. Even though this system is serviceable for Ivara and Wisp, I do always feel like it's not doing Vauban any favours. I always just default to having it on Flechettes and use nothing else, even though there's no reason not to use Overdriver. I think the main reason for that is because I'm worried I'll fumble the skill selection process at a critical moment, and that that is going to slow me down. I don't want to deal with the hassle of skill selection, so I just avoid it altogether. Not to mention that the community isn't too keen on it either, from what I gather.

So my alternative right now, is to use a drop-down style. You have abilities 1-4, you press 1, all your abilities get replaced with a new subset. Then if you cast one, or wait too long, it reverts back to normal. To clarify, if this were to be used on Vauban, it'd look like this:

1: Tesla
2: Minelayer
3: Photon Strike
4: Bastille

Then you press 2, and your abilities change to:

1: Tether
2: Flechette
3: Vector
4: Overdriver

Then you press 4 to cast Overdriver, and your abilities change back to:

Now my questions are:

1) Would you like this control scheme?

and

2) Is this compatible with your preferred control method?

I'm trying to perfect this concept before I plop it on the forums and I'm a little iffy on the last details, so any assistance would be greatly appreciated.

So if i want to spam Minelayer's Tether, i will have to tap 2 buttons for each cast.....

It will also block other abilities for a brief moment.  And that is a no go for many people out there.

I suggest to add hold function to spam minelayer subs.

Also, Transference button can act as a cancel for subset menu.

1 hour ago, Kainosh said:

So if i want to spam Minelayer's Tether, i will have to tap 2 buttons for each cast.....

It will also block other abilities for a brief moment.  And that is a no go for many people out there.

Well, the exact duration would have to be pin-pointed to not be an obstruction to gameplay on either side of the fence, but in general, whenever you cast any ability, all other abilities are blocked anyway due to cast times. In that regard, it's not too far off. 

It IS true that it's an extra button press.

I suggest to add hold function to spam minelayer subs.

You mean hold button to multi-cast it? That's not a big improvement in any scenario I think, as it's the exact same as what we have now, with the exception of not having to let go of the button to initiate the next cast. This doesn't resolve the current issues with the cycle-and-cast system, I think.

Also, Transference button can act as a cancel for subset menu.

I'm a bit more hesitant about using that keybind, because Transference can be a split-second lifesaver, and I think it needs to be unobstructed at all times.

2 hours ago, Colyeses said:

of not having to let go of the button to initiate the next cast.

Ahem.... Choose the right one:

1. Press 2 to open Sub menu > Press 1/2/3/4 to cast and close menu > Press 2 to open menu again > Press 1/2/3/4 to cast.....
  2. Press 2 to open Sub menu for 1 second > Press 1/2/3/4 while menu is open to cast > menu closes even if you actively mashing buttons.
  3. Press 2 to open Sub menu for 1 second > Press 1/2/3/4 while menu is open to cast and refresh menu duration > Menu closes if you dont touch ability buttons for 1 second.

You didnt explain all that sht properly so i can only guess.

2 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Ahem.... Choose the right one:

1. Press 2 to open Sub menu > Press 1/2/3/4 to cast and close menu > Press 2 to open menu again > Press 1/2/3/4 to cast.....
  2. Press 2 to open Sub menu for 1 second > Press 1/2/3/4 while menu is open to cast > menu closes even if you actively mashing buttons.
  3. Press 2 to open Sub menu for 1 second > Press 1/2/3/4 while menu is open to cast and refresh menu duration > Menu closes if you dont touch ability buttons for 1 second.

You didnt explain all that sht properly so i can only guess.

It's 1. I thought that was evident from the example I gave with Vauban's kit.

To clarify, if this were to be used on Vauban, it'd look like this:

Then you press 2, and your abilities change to:

1: Tether
2: Flechette
3: Vector
4: Overdriver

Then you press 4 to cast Overdriver, and your abilities change back to:

1 minute ago, Colyeses said:

It's 1.

Then this

3 hours ago, Colyeses said:

as it's the exact same as what we have now

Is not true.

Because now you can select once, and spam nonstop.

What you suggest = press 2 > cast >press 2 > cast....

That is why Hold function can save lots of time.  You just press 2 > Hold 1/2/3/4 and cast cast cast cast....

That is a significant difference.

5 minutes ago, Kainosh said:

Because now you can select once, and spam nonstop.

What you suggest = press 2 > cast >press 2 > cast....

That is why Hold function can save lots of time.  You just press 2 > Hold 1/2/3/4 and cast cast cast cast....

That is a significant difference.

Oh NOW I get what you mean. I thought you were talking about cycle-and-cast (what we have now), instead of the drop-down control scheme. My bad!

I suppose adding a hold function could make repeated casting of one ability easier, but I don't think it'll be a very relevant feature for the abilities I've got lined up at the moment, since I don't think those are very suitable for bulk casting. It might help Minelayer, though, in quick deployment of tethers and overdrivers. 

6 minutes ago, Colyeses said:

abilities I've got lined up

If those do not benefit much from repeated casting, your control scheme is fine.

Better than cycling at least.