Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma Rework

AlphaRyuuxx

With the removal of self damage and the introduction of shield gating for all warframes, Chroma takes front in center as a one of the only frames that's going to suffer immensely from this. But this is actually good for him as then it'll be the perfect time for a rework. 

Passive: Upon being damaged by a elemental attack, Chroma begins to heal (weaker arcane grace that's only for elements)

Spectral Scream: Tap to cycle through all elements. Hold to fire an elemental blast that explodes at maximum range or on first enemy hit and leaves elemental impact zone. 100% status chance and scales off vex armor. (works akin to Ivara's 1.) Lower energy cost

Heat: Scorches the ground dealing x damage and applying heat to all enemies that walk across it

Cold: Creates a frozen impact zone that deals x damage and slows all enemies that walk across it, freezing them if they are to stand in it for too long 

Toxin: Creates toxin impact zone that deals x damage and applies toxin to all enemies that walk across it

Electricity: Creates electric impact zone that stuns enemies that walk across it and can chain to nearby enemies up to x meters away

Giving Chroma's 1 more utility along with the elemental cycling that everyone wants on him

Elemental Ward: Ability is now refreshable. Same as it is now but allies will no longer have to stand inside his aoe at all times to receive the buff. Just walking into his aoe will give you the buff for X seconds and you will have to walk into Chroma again in order to refresh the buff. Can now activate two buffs at the same time, they will share timers and activating a different buff will replace the first and push the second element into the 'first' slot

Heat: No change, increase values

Cold: No change, increase values

Toxin: Still gives holster speed and reload speed but now gives fire rate along with a primed/charged chamber effect

Electricity: Still gives bonus shields, decreases the time needed for shields to start regenerating and increases the rate of the recharge

This ability is one of two of Chroma's abilities that are currently worth even casting. But these changes should not only allow for the other two elements to be viable to run but also helps Chroma's supportive capabilities by turning him essentially into a walking Wisp mote.

Vex Armor: Now charges scorn and fury at the same time regardless of whether Chroma's shields or health are being damaged. Scorn and Fury's buildup rate scales off power strength. Scorn and Fury values still scale off power strength up to a cap. Has the wisp mote effect like  Elemental Ward but allies receive only 50% of his buff values. Should no longer cancel upon entering archwing in open world

Scorn: Need X power strength to cap out its value at 1200% (number susceptible to change)

Fury: Need X power strength to cap out its value at 900%  (number susceptible to change)

Giving Vex Armor flat values allows for more diversity in his build as players won't be so hyper focused on min maxing strength but they will still need to opt into power strength to get the most they can out of the ability. Could possibly lower the Fury value more as the only time you really need that much damage is for big fights like eidolons and orb mothers and the toxin changes could alleviate that problem with suggested primed/charged chamber effect

Effigy: Tap to use effigy the same way it works now but changed to work more similar to Wuclone and is health based, no longer reduces armor. Can interact with Effigy to make it stay (like interacting with syndicate members in missions). Scales off of vex armor, and it taking damage adds into vex armor. Also acts as another 'mote' for teammates to gain elemental ward and vex armor from. 

Hold to channel Effigy's power into Chroma, giving him wings, triple jump, increased bullet jump distance and speed, complete control over aimglide, small elemental blast on jump and landing. Small increase to vex armor values. Duration based or a channeled ability

or

Hold to channel Effigy's power into Chroma, taking flight. (Whether it'd work akin to titania's flight or hildryn's flight would be up to the devs). Left clicking fires a stream of whatever Chroma's elemental alignment is and alt firing shoots Spectral Scream (costs less energy in this form). Duration base. Chroma also begins to store the damage his takes and when the duration of the ability is over Chroma crashes into the ground and 'explodes' dealing X damage along with the stored damage, (scales with vex armor?)

Enemies killed in either form (whether by Chroma or the pelt) will add X% to scorn and fury. 

Augment: Killing enemies also grants X seconds back into effigy(hold) or X health back into effigy (tap)

This change will give Chroma players the best of both worlds with each form giving their own unique advantages. Tapping allows Chroma to divide and conquer and is able to spread out his buffs and damage more effectively while holding turns Chroma into more of a one man army with more mobility and a more personalized set of tools and buffs. And the ability to build up Vex Armor through killing enemies will be a further incentive to use this ability and will give Chroma a way to reliably build vex armor without just having to stand there and let himself be hit. 

Edited by AlphaRyuuxx
  • Like 3

I like some of the proposed changes, but before I give my feedback I have a few things I'd like to share. I also think chroma should be able to switch elements on the fly, but when he switches elements will that change the current elemental bonus for himself and his teammates? For instance if I cast the heat ward, then switch to elements to cold does that mean that my allies' wards will now become cold or do they keep the heat effect?

For a passive I think a small adaptation like effect would be in order concerning elemental damages. Something like up to a 20% damage resistance for 5 seconds to any of the elemental damage types.

The other proposed change to spectral scream is a bit underwhelming. I'll tell you that I never use Ember's fireball or Frost's freeze for their lingering crowd control effects. The aoes are too small to be considered worthwhile imo, instead I think that treating it like an exalted weapon, a beam weapon, might be better hear me out.

Taping the button unequips your weapon and chroma gets into his elemental breathing stance, energy is only consumed when he releases his breath. Holding the ability key changes the elements, using the right click releases a steady stream of your chosen element that spreads the longer the button is held and also ramps up in damage, until it reaches its limit. Alternatively using the alt fire launches a more concentrated, long range energy burst. The idea is do I want to decimate this crowd of enemies standing in front of me or do I want to snipe that heavy unit from over here. For added synergy when elemental ward is active it could increase the range and or damage of spectral scream, also your effigy copies whatever firemode you use.

For the most part I think that elemental ward is a decent ability, heat, cold and toxin have been worthwhile, but electricity has been a bit lacking. Tbh I'm not quite sure what changes should be made to this component until after the shield and armor changes have been made so I'll wait until then.

My biggest gripe with vex armor is that having to rely on enemies to be able to take full advantage of it has always been tedious. I would very much like an additional mechanic that allows us to increases his scorn or fury buffs without having to wait for enemies to hit you so you can kill them.

I really like your idea of having allies be able to refresh their buffs by going to a nearby chroma effigy, personally I think that it has always been a better tool for crowd control than damage. Maybe shedding your effigy could give you some scorn and the damage it receives could increase your fury when it returns.

13 hours ago, BlueSabre said:

I like some of the proposed changes, but before I give my feedback I have a few things I'd like to share. I also think chroma should be able to switch elements on the fly, but when he switches elements will that change the current elemental bonus for himself and his teammates? For instance if I cast the heat ward, then switch to elements to cold does that mean that my allies' wards will now become cold or do they keep the heat effect?

They'd keep the heat effect and would have to walk into chroma/effigy to gain a new elemental effect/buff

The other proposed change to spectral scream is a bit underwhelming. I'll tell you that I never use Ember's fireball or Frost's freeze for their lingering crowd control effects. The aoes are too small to be considered worthwhile imo, instead I think that treating it like an exalted weapon, a beam weapon, might be better hear me out.

Taping the button unequips your weapon and chroma gets into his elemental breathing stance, energy is only consumed when he releases his breath. Holding the ability key changes the elements, using the right click releases a steady stream of your chosen element that spreads the longer the button is held and also ramps up in damage, until it reaches its limit. Alternatively using the alt fire launches a more concentrated, long range energy burst. The idea is do I want to decimate this crowd of enemies standing in front of me or do I want to snipe that heavy unit from over here. For added synergy when elemental ward is active it could increase the range and or damage of spectral scream, also your effigy copies whatever firemode you use.

Yeah, personally I don't think people would really use the ability and would only really care for the elemental swap, unless said ability does a good amount of damage

For the most part I think that elemental ward is a decent ability, heat, cold and toxin have been worthwhile, but electricity has been a bit lacking. Tbh I'm not quite sure what changes should be made to this component until after the shield and armor changes have been made so I'll wait until then.

Another idea i had for the electric ward would be aside from increasing the shields, it would double the shields dr. Since it was stated in the devstream that shields would have innate 25% dr, maybe electric ward would buff it to 50% seeing as the armor from vex doesn't apply to shields.

My biggest gripe with vex armor is that having to rely on enemies to be able to take full advantage of it has always been tedious. I would very much like an additional mechanic that allows us to increases his scorn or fury buffs without having to wait for enemies to hit you so you can kill them.

That was the biggest problem with chroma game play wise, aside from having 2 awful abilities. Being forced to let yourself be hit in order to get your buffs. It's like if only Baruuk's 1 could lower restraint

On 2020-03-02 at 9:09 AM, AlphaRyuuxx said:

With the removal of self damage and the introduction of shield gating for all warframes, Chroma takes front in center as a one of the only frames that's going to suffer immensely from this. But this is actually good for him as then it'll be the perfect time for a rework. 

Passive: Upon being damaged by a elemental attack, Chroma begins to heal (weaker arcane grace that's only for elements)

Spectral Scream: Tap to cycle through all elements. Hold to fire an elemental blast that explodes at maximum range or on first enemy hit and leaves elemental impact zone. 100% status chance and scales off vex armor. (works akin to Ivara's 1.) Lower energy cost

Heat: Scorches the ground dealing x damage and applying heat to all enemies that walk across it

Cold: Creates a frozen impact zone that deals x damage and slows all enemies that walk across it, freezing them if they are to stand in it for too long 

Toxin: Creates toxin impact zone that deals x damage and applies toxin to all enemies that walk across it

Electricity: Creates electric impact zone that stuns enemies that walk across it and can chain to nearby enemies up to x meters away

Giving Chroma's 1 more utility along with the elemental cycling that everyone wants on him

Elemental Ward: Ability is now refreshable. Same as it is now but allies will no longer have to stand inside his aoe at all times to receive the buff. Just walking into his aoe will give you the buff for X seconds and you will have to walk into Chroma again in order to refresh the buff. Can now activate two buffs at the same time, they will share timers and activating a different buff will replace the first and push the second element into the 'first' slot

Heat: No change, increase values

Cold: No change, increase values

Toxin: Still gives holster speed and reload speed but now gives fire rate along with a primed/charged chamber effect

Electricity: Still gives bonus shields, decreases the time needed for shields to start regenerating and increases the rate of the recharge

This ability is one of two of Chroma's abilities that are currently worth even casting. But these changes should not only allow for the other two elements to be viable to run but also helps Chroma's supportive capabilities by turning him essentially into a walking Wisp mote.

Vex Armor: Now charges scorn and fury at the same time regardless of whether Chroma's shields or health are being damaged. Scorn and Fury's buildup rate scales off power strength. Scorn and Fury values still scale off power strength up to a cap. Has the wisp mote effect like  Elemental Ward but allies receive only 50% of his buff values. Should no longer cancel upon entering archwing in open world

Scorn: Need X power strength to cap out its value at 1200% (number susceptible to change)

Fury: Need X power strength to cap out its value at 900%  (number susceptible to change)

Giving Vex Armor flat values allows for more diversity in his build as players won't be so hyper focused on min maxing strength but they will still need to opt into power strength to get the most they can out of the ability. Could possibly lower the Fury value more as the only time you really need that much damage is for big fights like eidolons and orb mothers and the toxin changes could alleviate that problem with suggested primed/charged chamber effect

Effigy: Tap to use effigy the same way it works now but changed to work more similar to Wuclone and is health based, no longer reduces armor. Can interact with Effigy to make it stay (like interacting with syndicate members in missions). Scales off of vex armor, and it taking damage adds into vex armor. Also acts as another 'mote' for teammates to gain elemental ward and vex armor from. 

Hold to channel Effigy's power into Chroma, giving him wings, triple jump, increased bullet jump distance and speed, complete control over aimglide, small elemental blast on jump and landing. Small increase to vex armor values. Duration based or a channeled ability

or

Hold to channel Effigy's power into Chroma, taking flight. (Whether it'd work akin to titania's flight or hildryn's flight would be up to the devs). Left clicking fires a stream of whatever Chroma's elemental alignment is and alt firing shoots Spectral Scream (costs less energy in this form). Duration base. Chroma also begins to store the damage his takes and when the duration of the ability is over Chroma crashes into the ground and 'explodes' dealing X damage along with the stored damage, (scales with vex armor?)

Enemies killed in either form (whether by Chroma or the pelt) will add X% to scorn and fury. 

Augment: Killing enemies also grants X seconds back into effigy(hold) or X health back into effigy (tap)

This change will give Chroma players the best of both worlds with each form giving their own unique advantages. Tapping allows Chroma to divide and conquer and is able to spread out his buffs and damage more effectively while holding turns Chroma into more of a one man army with more mobility and a more personalized set of tools and buffs. And the ability to build up Vex Armor through killing enemies will be a further incentive to use this ability and will give Chroma a way to reliably build vex armor without just having to stand there and let himself be hit. 

I love your changes to Elemental-ward and vex armor it they  should just be fused into one ability with a toggle to choose his element instead of the toggle being on his first so that way he won’t still be a two trick pony, A good but controversial change would be straight damage reduction instead of an armor buff on the vex side of the ability since his ice ward already gives armor  and elemental damage similar to Saryns toxic lash (since he’s the master of elements lol)  or just a flat damage bonus instead of weapon Damage . That would make his buffs feel like less of a chore to keep up and make him more versatile 

I like your idea of the changes to his first ability as long as the damage scales and that crowd control would definitely open up build diversity and help with his survivability 

I like your changes to effigy but he’s a dragon and needs to fly lol they need to just get rid of the whole shed his pelt thing it doesn’t match his theme at all 

Guys let's be straight forward. 

Chroma 1st and 4th abiltiy are completely useless. IMO at least when i tested it on several missions - defense, excavation, disruption and in late game i did not find any useful way to use those abilities - feel free to disagree with me.

Lot's of people saying that chroma doesn't need rework due to eidolon hunt. I get it, its best dps in-game that can one-shot eidolon with proper setup but what about other utilization? and since I want to use this warframe not only for eidolon hunt, i think it would be very nice to have some touches on Chroma as well.

I see nice ideas how to rework chroma, maybe DE will take at least some look on this topic 🙂 I belive in you DE

13 hours ago, (PS4)DonHobboElusive said:

I love your changes to Elemental-ward and vex armor it they  should just be fused into one ability with a toggle to choose his element instead of the toggle being on his first so that way he won’t still be a two trick pony, A good but controversial change would be straight damage reduction instead of an armor buff on the vex side of the ability since his ice ward already gives armor  and elemental damage similar to Saryns toxic lash (since he’s the master of elements lol)  or just a flat damage bonus instead of weapon Damage . That would make his buffs feel like less of a chore to keep up and make him more versatile 

I like your idea of the changes to his first ability as long as the damage scales and that crowd control would definitely open up build diversity and help with his survivability 

I like your changes to effigy but he’s a dragon and needs to fly lol they need to just get rid of the whole shed his pelt thing it doesn’t match his theme at all 

DR on vex armor would be interesting, perhaps have it build up similarly to the way the armor builds up, starts at 0 and builds up to like 80-90%. As for the elemental bonus damage, I feel as though the damage buff from vex armor is already extremely overkill for most content in the game, and the only time you'd need that kind of damage is for big boss fights. So unless u were to heavily lower vex armor's damage buff I don't think you could reasonably add a straight up damage buff, hence why I tried to keep elemental ward's buffs utility based. 

Yeah, I just know that some people do like the way effigy currently works, even though it's probably one of my most hated abilities in the game, hence why I wanted to keep it along with an alternative version for people that DO want him to fly with each form balanced to offer their own benefits. 

6 hours ago, lordpro_svk said:

Chroma 1st and 4th abiltiy are completely useless. IMO at least when i tested it on several missions - defense, excavation, disruption and in late game i did not find any useful way to use those abilities - feel free to disagree with me.

Lot's of people saying that chroma doesn't need rework due to eidolon hunt. I get it, its best dps in-game that can one-shot eidolon with proper setup but what about other utilization? and since I want to use this warframe not only for eidolon hunt, i think it would be very nice to have some touches on Chroma as well.

Yeah, it's pretty much the consensus that chroma's 1 and 4 are absolutely awful. Although there'll be some people who tried to argue that his 4 is good cc. 

Well you won't really have to worry about him being an eidolon hunter anymore, with the removal of self damage, chromas pretty much going to be completely dropped for eidolon hunts for other options that were already creeping their way into them, aka rhino. 

Edited by AlphaRyuuxx
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, superiouz said:

That huge buff right there..and as far as i remember. DE never buff that huge.

I don’t think that’s a huge buff. There are still far better frames than him that is better at Nuking/CC/Support and even better DPS In Eidolons and Orb Mothers once self damage is removed even if the rework matches OP’s proposal. Watch Rhino kicks him out of the 4x3/5x3/6x3 Eidolon Hunt Meta once this update hits tomorrow.

Wouldn't a normal Chroma that usually relied on self damage be able to swap in a nullifier with 102% resistance and activate Vex armor during Profit taker or the various Eidolon attacks and quickly be able to charge it up and, using Rage/Hunter Adrenaline keep energy up for doing the same blasting role they currently do?