Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Warframe Revised: Deferred Rendering Megathread

SilverBones

Just a general sentiment - Please make sure your post-processing effects are efficient as opposed to graphics hogs. Honestly, Ambient Occlusion does a lot for shadows - it's a hog, but less of a hog than pixel density. I hope there are a few LOD shifts in those effects (with respect to distance).

25 minutes ago, White_Matter said:

Any detailed info on what deferred rendering specifically does ?

I noticed some surfaces looking more metallic but that's about it.

Seems to impact FPS significantly in Orb Vallis. Haven't tested POE yet. 

Base game seems more or less the same.

It improves the lighting and makes shadows much better and realistic. It's really noticeable with direct sunlight in PoE, Cetus, Orb Vallis and Railjack. It seems like almost no other light sources actually cast shadows with deferred rendering so it's harder to notice almost anywhere else in the game.

• Like 2

This is kinda hard to describe with the bug thread's layout, so I'm just going to leave a comment here since it's specific to Deferred Rendering.

If you have a 144 fps setup (and are hitting that framerate consistently), then reflections are drawn violently, jittering about constantly in the orbiter. I don't have a video because my framerate drops too much, thus I can't showcase the bug.

EDIT: I was able to capture some video by recording a small portion of my screen to show what i'm talking about (I'm holding perfectly still here)

https://gfycat.com/DesertedInnocentCutworm

Everything looks more jagged too, but that might be because all of the motion caused by this bug. I have SMAA on for example, and this light looks incredibly jagged

https://gfycat.com/WarmDampApisdorsatalaboriosa

EDIT 2: This seems fine in some areas, but violent in others. More examples:

Calm (as it should be):https://gfycat.com/ElementarySmoggyAmericanalligator

Violent: https://gfycat.com/scrawnyhopefulcurlew

Edited by SgtFlex

I think the jagginess @SgtFlex mentions is coming from all the light reflecting. It's the only thing I can think of, I can see it too at 60 Hz.

Warframes and materials all look wetty EXCEPT the newest ones (Wukong Prime onwards). Atlas Prime looks rather on point, same as Ivara Prime. Gauss is super metallic so it's a bad one to judge from (shiny!), but since Grendel looks on point too I take only these new ones (plus related items such as Syandanas and weapons) are properly adapted and their materials behave properly.

The rest of items need some sort of tweak.

EDIT: Just to showcase pics:

Chroma (wet looking) vs Grendel (proper looking):

Spoiler

oXR3DTh.jpg

bZIqpkw.jpg

Vauban Prime (wet looking) VS Wukong Prime (proper looking):

Spoiler

BWRFxlS.jpg

EGf6EMD.jpg

Edited by NightmareT12

Alright, tried it and I have to report quite a few things. 

First, shadows don't seem to work very well (or at all) in the Orbiter. Not worse than before but they don't reflect on the actual surroundings.
Before walking into the shadow:
EDIT: HDR is not on.

20200305215049_1.jpg

After walking into the shadow:
20200305215051_1.jpg

Other than that the lighting doesn't do well with the textures in missions. Specifically, the effects from slamming with melee weapons. I think this applies to most effects that act as light sources; they don't cast light on surfaces uniformly and they appear kinda tessellated (?). In these pictures the slam effects create particles that act as tiny light sources.
20200305214504_1.jpg

20200305214532_1.jpg

20200305214425_1.jpg

As you can see, this looks a bit disorienting and as the light is reflected on those surfaces they also blink (or maybe increase and decrease in luminosity rapidly instead of "turning off"). I don't think it's enough to cause an issue with epilepsy but this doesn't look good either way.

EDIT: After some testing this is because of the SMAA. If you turn it to TAA this looks much better.

Edited by Nemesis
  • Like 1

Weapons and warframes are now super-shiny / glossy and seem to ignore PBR. Easy way to check would be in the Leverian - check Atlas, Ivara and the Aksomati. Ember Prime, Frost Prime, Khora's diorama, etc.

This occurs with HDR on/off but is more noticeable with HDR on.

Edited by blackgu4rd

Everything in the dojo that isn't decorations is shiny. Even leaves. Wood. Sand.

Also, all the decorations in the temple of honor moved. They all shifted in the same direction. A number of them into a wall, even.

Effects like some ephemeras have reflections on surfaces that are not really near by. I am using the Vengeful Charge ephemera in my video and you can see the reflections on surfaces quite far away. I think this should be turned down a bit as it is a bit obnoxious.

6 hours ago, Monsieur_Fromage said:

Sorry if this is off topic, but does the new deferred rendering increase performance at all? (I run a 1060 6gb, and am hoping to be able to bump my resolution up to 1440p)

Not really, it'll either be the same or it'll be worse. With the new shadows it can lower yer performance when there is a lot of them (IE open world areas).

I have a 1050 3gb that is over clocked and on all max settings at 1920x1080 (minus motion-blur and anti-aliasing because I don't like either) and I get 75 fps (max fps lock) everywhere with normal rendering
With deferred rendering and the same settings I still get 75 fps, except in cetus, the plains, and the orb, where I get an average of 45 fps.

Edited by GentlePuppet

2 minutes ago, aspeedninja said:

Why are dynamic shadows and environment shadows only working in the plains and fortuna 

Only sunlight casts shadows in PoE or Vallus. The Railjack actually seems like it has a number of lights casting dynamic shadows, the Orbiter seems too as well. I haven't seen it working anywhere else in the game.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Giggily said:

Only sunlight casts shadows in PoE or Vallus. The Railjack actually seems like it has a number of lights casting dynamic shadows, the Orbiter seems too as well. I haven't seen it working anywhere else in the game.

I think its cause they need to update the lighting in the rest of the game to some new to idk but it annoys me when the show this awesome looking S#&$ at tennocon and then we only get like half of would it looked like

• Like 1

1 час назад, Monsieur_Fromage сказал:

Sorry if this is off topic, but does the new deferred rendering increase performance at all? (I run a 1060 6gb, and am hoping to be able to bump my resolution up to 1440p)

1 час назад, GentlePuppet сказал:

No it's either the same or worse. With the new shadows it can lower yer performance when there is a lot of them (open world areas)

Actually, deferred rendering REALLY increasing the performance. Mostly, it increases lightning and shadows performance. But the problem is that this option in launcher doesn't enables only deferred rendering. It enables deferred rendering AND improved shadows. Result - performance falls down a bit. But you should understand that the same shadows WITHOUT deferred rendering will DRAMATICALLY lower the performance, and this is the reason why there was no such shadows before.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Xionema said:

Spent several seconds at 30fps after loading into the orbiter for the first time. Besides that, posters only show when viewed from a certain angle, the rest of the time they look like this: L6BsLzE.png

7 hours ago, Cmdr-A said:

Same, it killed my operator room door mega poster I I have set up.

GuKeSNo.jpg

Same is happening for me. Although I have to agree that the door looks cool like this.

2 hours ago, GentlePuppet said:

No it's either the same or worse. With the new shadows it can lower yer performance when there is a lot of them (open world areas)

For me it got way worse (in PoE). Went from constant 60 fps (2880x1620/ Vsync on*/TAA 8x, all other settings on max on GTX 1660 - 6GB) to 30 fps with some drops to 20 fps.

* yes, I know can reach 4k with Vsync off, but the constant tearing gives me a huge headache after some minutes of gameplay.

6 hours ago, blackgu4rd said:

Weapons and warframes are now super-shiny / glossy and seem to ignore PBR. Easy way to check would be in the Leverian - check Atlas, Ivara and the Aksomati. Ember Prime, Frost Prime, Khora's diorama, etc.

This occurs with HDR on/off but is more noticeable with HDR on.

I was about to say, it kind of reminds me of old Warframe where everything is a little too shiny and wet-looking. Metallics look great with this setting on, but everything that's supposed to be matte or rough material just reflects way too much light to look right.

DR on:
unknown.png

DR off:
unknown.png

Edit: This may be kind of a bad example because the "slimy, wet" appearance fits this operator suit well. But it demonstrates well how a previously rough, dry, porous surface now looks like its the body of a slug.

Edited by Almighty_Jado
  • Like 2

Spoiler

unknown.png

This Birb has transparent ghost feathers.

Spoiler

unknown.png

These ropes on the cooking hut aren't ropes anymore and are weird void strings that delete shadows and make everything orange when you look through them.

Spoiler

unknown.png

I don't know if it's intentional but putting reflections on nearly every surface in cetus makes stuff look unnaturally shiny. (The rugs look like plastic instead of... cloth. A lot of stuff looks like plastic now :c)
I knew there would be a performance decrease with all the shadows but I didn't expect to go from 75fps(max frame lock) to avg 45fps. This is only in cetus, the plains, and the orb. Everywhere else is fine.

It would be wonderful if there was an option(s) to turn off dynamic shadows from grass/foliage while letting us keep shadows from props/rocks/characters/etc and such.
I think that would let us choose to have some pretty stuff while giving us the ability to save on performance.
Or just an option to turn off dynamic shadows from open world area's. Because, while I love the new shadows and lighting and such, it kills fps in huge open area's like the plains or the orb. But I don't want to turn it off for normal missions cause there isn't really a noticeable hit there.

Or instead of OFF/ON having it be OFF/LOW/MEDIUM/HIGH/ULTRA with LOW being something like only big objects/characters have dynamic shadows but only render when they're close, MEDIUM everything has shadows but only render when it's close, HIGH same as medium but farther render distance, and ULTRA being the current if not farther than current render distance.
Or something like that, I don't know.

All that aside I absolutely adore how metallic objects appear, my railjack is so god damn golden, I love it.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, SgtFlex said:

This is kinda hard to describe with the bug thread's layout, so I'm just going to leave a comment here since it's specific to Deferred Rendering.

If you have a 144 fps setup (and are hitting that framerate consistently), then reflections are drawn violently, jittering about constantly in the orbiter. I don't have a video because my framerate drops too much, thus I can't showcase the bug.

8 hours ago, NightmareT12 said:

I think the jagginess @SgtFlex mentions is coming from all the light reflecting. It's the only thing I can think of, I can see it too at 60 Hz.

8 hours ago, Nemesis said:

Alright, tried it and I have to report quite a few things. 

First, shadows don't seem to work very well (or at all) in the Orbiter. Not worse than before but they don't reflect on the actual surroundings.

[...snip...]

EDIT: After some testing this is because of the SMAA. If you turn it to TAA this looks much better.

I am a fairly novice graphics programmer, but I believe all of the above are due to the below:

6 hours ago, frenchiestfry3 said:

Effects like some ephemeras have reflections on surfaces that are not really near by. I am using the Vengeful Charge ephemera in my video and you can see the reflections on surfaces quite far away. I think this should be turned down a bit as it is a bit obnoxious.

And I believe what's causing it all is a weird interaction with the screen-space particles. Not sure why TAA fixes some of it but I can confirm that it does. Unfortunate, as I really don't like TAA.

• Like 1

I considered this a bug and already reported it in the "Warframe Revised bug report megathread", but I think it's also worth mentioning here.

When using deferred rendering, Character Shadows currently only work in areas with real-time lighting (Orbiter, Plains of Eidolon, Orb Vallis), so it sort of begs the question of: what does DE plan to do with every other area/map/tileset that has pre-baked lighting? Because all those light shafts beaming in through Galleon windows, Corpus lasers and fluorescent lights, spotlights in the Kuva Fortress, lamps in the Void and Lua, they all do nothing at the moment due to the lack of real-time lighting.

Will all the tiles need to get a complete lighting overhaul in order to actually make use of deferred rendering or are y'all just gonna slap some generic top-down shadows under all character models and call it a day? And, I don't mean that in a snarky way, I'm genuinely curious because I quite like this new lighting technique and would love to see it reach its full potential.

12 minutes ago, Ailith said:
  • TYPE: In-game, Deferred rendering
  • DESCRIPTION: Character Shadows ARE present when using Warframe's standard rendering, but do NOT always appear with deferred rendering enabled. Deferred character shadows ONLY appear in areas with dynamic/real-time lighting (Orbiter, Plains of Eidolon, and Orb Vallis). Additionally, light sources such as PoE's spotlights and Cetus's lanterns do NOT cast character shadows, despite lighting up and casting real-time shadows on environmental objects (rocks, wood, etc.). I assume the core issue behind all of this is Warframe's usage of pre-baked lighting in most gameplay areas.
  • VISUAL: These screenshots were taken in two different areas/lighting conditions, but character shadows were missing in ALL rooms while using deffered rendering.
  Reveal hidden contents

Standard rendering (Grineer Galleon):

kDcww4L.jpg

Deferred rendering (Grineer Galleon):

kq1pBrp.jpg

• REPRODUCTION: Turn on deferred rendering, go to any area/map/tile that is not the Orbiter, Plains of Eidolon, or Orb Vallis, observe the lack of character shadows.
  • EXPECTED RESULT: All characters should have Character Shadows with deferred rendering enabled
  • OBSERVED RESULT: All characters do NOT have Character Shadows with deferred rendering enabled, EXCEPT in the Orbiter, Plains of Eidolon, and Orb Vallis
  • REPRODUCTION RATE: 100%
  • Like 1

Deferred rendering on and using SMAA instead of TAA and every metal with light on it looks super grainy or super sharp like its been using a sharpening tool in photoshop 3-5x. Using TAA lowers the "grainy" effect to some extent.

Also is it normal for the GPU to be a bit more hot than usual?

Edited by Razhion
  • Like 1