Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Baruuk the Space "Paci-Fist"

TheShadeKing

A review of one of the most interesting and unique frames to ever join Warframe, by a Baruuk Main.

Since Baruuk's release there have been many players that don't quite understand how he plays, and claiming him to be meh, or terrible, but that is not true at all and I am here to tell you why. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of the time Baruuk is misunderstood.  Those testing him for their first time think about building him around his 1st ability Elude130xDark Elude, to dodge all damage. This usually ends with the player saying that Baruuk is garbage, and then they give up on him.

This typically results in range mods to get his dodge ability from 180 degrees to 360 degrees. The problem with this is that I would argue, his 1st ability Elude130xDark Elude is the worst ability to ever exist in Warframe, and here is the reason why. 

Warframe is all about looting and shooting/meleeing, the most important part is that players still need to be able
    to do something, and his 1st ability Elude130xDark Elude does not allow attacking if you want to dodge damage.

• This ability requires that the player do absolutely nothing (except move around) so as to "dodge" attacks. 

The problem with this ability is that this "dodge" only works when you aren't attacking. 
        Now lets talk about what can be dodged with Elude130xDark Elude

•         All projectiles including explosives from bombards can be dodged... however, explosive area of effects will still damage you if you are within the radius of the explosive when it detonates. 
  •         All melee attacks. (Which is actually kind of weird as Elude130xDark Eludes description does not state this).

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------    
So then since his 1st ability Elude130xDark Elude will almost never be usable as you will always be attacking enemies, let's discuss his other abilities, and his passive. 

•     Baruuk's biggest strength is Damage reduction with out a doubt...
    • His Passive can give up to 50% damage reduction based on the amount of restraint he is missing (in other words keep restraint as low as possible). 
    • His 3rd ability DesolateHands130xDark Desolate Hands gives up to 90% when you have 9 daggers spiraling Baruuk (the damage reduction from his 3rd ability can also be shared with his allies). 
    • His 4th ability SereneStorm130xDark Serene Storm gives him (and only him) 40% damage reduction no matter how much restraint you have. 

Since all Damage reduction is multiplicative this means that Baruuk can get some crazy damage reduction values, in comparison to other frames. Lets compare the "Lazy tank Inaros" as an example. 

Inaros mains will have about 7k+ health on average and about 500 armor which is very impressive. Baruuk on the other hand will have about 300 shields, 600 Health, and 150 armor which at first glance look very weak. 

So lets discuss armor damage reduction calculation. 

• Damage reduction is based on (your warframes Armor) / (Your Warframes Armor +300) = Damage Reduction x100= %
  • This means that with Inaros you would have (500)/(800)= 0.625x100 = 62.5% Damage Reduction, Based solely on Armor Values.
  • With Baruuk this would be (150)/(450)= 0.333x100 = 33.3% Damage Reduction, again based solely on Armor Values. 

Now lets take into consideration Effective Health of both characters. 

• Effective health is calulated based on the (Health your character has after mods)/(1-Damage Reduction)=Effective Health.
  • With Inaros this would be (7000)/(1-0.625)=18,666 Effective Health.
  • With Baruuk this would be (600)/(1-0.333)=899 Effective Health. 

This is where it gets interesting though. 

• Damage reduction was not taken into account for baruuk yet (only armor). 
  • So lets calculate all of his damage reduction values into this for his "Actual Effective Health Value". 
    • 50% for passive, 90% for his DesolateHands130xDark Desolate Hands, 40% for his SereneStorm130xDark Serene Storm, and 90% for the Adaptation mod (which is a must have for tank frames), (I will not add his 33.3% armor this time). 
    • This means that his total damage reduction would be 1-(1-0.5)*(1-0.9)*(1-0.4)*(1-0.9)= 0.997 damage reduction value (without armor) in comparison to his 0.333 armor only damage reduction. 
      • So lets use that damage reduction in the Effective Health equation. (600)/(1-0.997)=200,000 Effective health
    • Lets not forget though that Baruuk's Damage reduction also applies to his shields as well as his health, so lets add both of them together. 
      • This calculation would be... (900)/(1-0.997)=100,000 Effective Shields, and 200,000 Effective health
    • But what about armor damage reduction as well?... Lets add his armor damage reduction to the Total damage reduction equation.
      • This final damage reduction equation would only fully work on HP, as armor only effects Health and not Shields, at least as of this post. 
      • 1-(1-0.5)*(1-0.9)*(1-0.4)*(1-0.9)*(1-0.333)=0.997999 damage reduction value (with armor)
        • (600)/(1-0.997999)= 299,850 Effective Health. + 100,000 Effective Shields = an INSANE!!! 399,850 Effective Life Pool
    • That is some Crazy Damage Reduction values for a warframe most people consider Meh or terrible. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After talking about the Effecitve Health Pool of Baruuk, lets talk about his limitations and issues. 

• Restraint passive meter 100% to 0%. 
  • Each attack evaded through Elude130xDark Elude erodes 0.6% from the meter.
  • Each enemy affected by Lull130xDark Lull erodes 0.81% from the meter.
  • Each enemy disarmed by DesolateHands130xDark Desolate Hands erodes 1.6% from the meter.

Since the only way to erode Baruuk's passive meter is from using his  Elude130xDark EludeLull130xDark Lull,  and DesolateHands130xDark Desolate Hands; it is important to understand that is is very slow to erode using any one of these abilities on their own. So, you have to synergize his abilities depending on the number of enemies nearby Baruuk.

• So what do you synergize together?
    • With Baruuk his DesolateHands130xDark Desolate Hands must always be applied so as to achieve that massive damage reduction and the multi enemy weapon disarm as often as possible. Without his 3 he would die from anything and everything. 
    • Next is his Lull130xDark Lull which I suggest should be used when there is 8+ enemies at the least so as to get the largest chunk of Restraint removed per cast with the least amount of energy used. 
    • Lastly his Elude130xDark Elude... Just don't use it, it costs too much Energy and barely does anything for you. If you want to use it make sure you are running Primed Flow for crazy amounts of energy, and this will require you also use Arcane energize... which means you are going to be reliant on it. If you do not use Elude130xDark Elude You will not need Arcane Energize at all, though it can still be useful in Sanctuary Onslaughts for more Energy generation, if you are having difficulty. 

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The only real issue with Baruuk is how slow it is to reduce his Restraint, this is Far too slow most of the time.

I personally love this mechanic, and it makes me think about when i can use my SereneStorm130xDark Serene Storm ability, instead of just spamming it all day long. That being said, since Elude130xDark Elude is absolutely useless right now... why not change this ability up a little bit. 

What I would purpose is that Elude130xDark Elude  gets patched (modified) so that Instead of dodging attacks (which is useless), when Baruuk takes damage while it is activated, reduce the restraint he has by a very small amount.

• Currently it is 0.6% per attack evaded, how about 0.6% per attack that hits Baruuk?
  • And if Baruuk is not being hit after a brief time period such as around 1 second how about applying Restraint back to the meter at a rate such as... 0.3% per second.

This way he is still restraint based, has some faster degeneration on his restraint and is able to make use of full ability synergy rather then just 3 of his 4 abilities.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I personally feel that Baruuk is in a very stable state right now he has good but not godly damage output with his SereneStorm130xDark Serene Storm ability , but I feel his first ability Elude130xDark Elude can be reworked to actually be useful, as restraint is very hard to degenerate with his current Elude130xDark Elude ability. 

I personally will never enjoy any character more then Baruuk as his current play-style is very engaging, entertaining, and unique to Warframe.

I just hope this post will enlighten others to Baruuks hidden talents and strengths, and not just be written off as a Meh. or Terrible warframe simply because they didn't quite fully understand his playstyle. I also hope that he never gets a full rework as he is such a blast to constantly play day in and day out. 

P.S. Nullifier bubble can make him die nearly instantly as he will lose his damage reduction from his abilities (except for his passive, so play smart). 

If anyone is interested... her is my build for Baruuk... I am putting in the final forma for now to remove the polarity on the Umbral vitality, that way I can slot in my Power Drift mod in the exilus slot. 

BjKpMuE.jpg

• Like 1

Gud to see Baruuk mains on the forums Ash main here and i enjoy how you basicly said how actual amazing this frame is xd many people sleep on him i don´t sue him becase i refer the non tanky or prefer having meteors (Ember) and Infested power (Nidus) but i recognize his terryfing dmg reduction skills.

I hope more people with this post might look him in a diferent way by the way do you use the heavy build or a normal attack build for your exalted?

• Like 1

Serene Storm needs to deal 3-5 times it’s current damage. Currently with its connection to restraint you cannot cast it immediately at the start of a mission or keep it active for a whole missions duration. It is designed to be a massive payoff damage ability, but instead we got a glorified leaf blower.

Now people are going to jump out of the woodwork and say “oh but Gears, I can hit a 20billion damage red crit heavy attack with Baruuk. How is that weak?” Simple, Serene Storm can only be used for a limited time if you intend to use it efficiently, so wasting restraint standing their blocking attacks to build up combo meter defeats the whole purpose of why you cast the ability to begin with. You needed enemies dead now, and you should be killing them now, not wait 10-20 seconds for them to shoot at you enough times.

His 4s augment also tried to fix his issues by addressing the problem of his 4 being strictly impact and having very low status. Well it got the status part down. The damage adaptation was a complete failure as you need to directly hit an enemy to adapt the damage type. And as I just went over. Casting a damage ability, only for it to demand that you faff about for a bit before you can actually start dealing damage is not good design. Honestly, I think someone at DE needs to remind everyone there that Serene Storm has energy waves.

1 hour ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Serene Storm needs to deal 3-5 times it’s current damage. Currently with its connection to restraint you cannot cast it immediately at the start of a mission or keep it active for a whole missions duration. It is designed to be a massive payoff damage ability, but instead we got a glorified leaf blower.

Now people are going to jump out of the woodwork and say “oh but Gears, I can hit a 20billion damage red crit heavy attack with Baruuk. How is that weak?” Simple, Serene Storm can only be used for a limited time if you intend to use it efficiently, so wasting restraint standing their blocking attacks to build up combo meter defeats the whole purpose of why you cast the ability to begin with. You needed enemies dead now, and you should be killing them now, not wait 10-20 seconds for them to shoot at you enough times.

His 4s augment also tried to fix his issues by addressing the problem of his 4 being strictly impact and having very low status. Well it got the status part down. The damage adaptation was a complete failure as you need to directly hit an enemy to adapt the damage type. And as I just went over. Casting a damage ability, only for it to demand that you faff about for a bit before you can actually start dealing damage is not good design. Honestly, I think someone at DE needs to remind everyone there that Serene Storm has energy waves.

Hello Gears, 

I agree that requiring an augment to make his Serene storm really good is a bit annoying, but there is always room to improve.

I personally feel that his innate damage in his Serene Storm hits decently hard,  though yes only impact can be a bit of a downside. I personally feel that the waves of the punch should count towards the augment damage weakness conversion, though my main reason to use it is the status chance, and with the new statuses rework coming soon, this will be awesome as you will be able to have over 100% status chance with just the augment. Not to mention, when you tack on melee status mods, that is going to have some serious status procs. 

• I personally wish that the damage weakness conversion from "Reactive Storm Augment" should add some bonus damage as well as, apply to the waves that your fist attack produces. 
  • Or, make it so that the waves from his punches count as actual melee attacks. The reason i say this is because of Healing return only working at 1.2m range with Serene Storm, while Serene Storm's waves work at 20m. 
    • The waves from Serene Storm do not proc this even though they still are affected by EVERY melee damage multiplier, so it is rather hard to find a decent Healing option for Baruuk, even with arcane Grace it only heals about 25 hp a second when Baruuk is fully modded.
Edited by TheShadeKing

1 hour ago, Baskalina said:

Gud to see Baruuk mains on the forums Ash main here and i enjoy how you basicly said how actual amazing this frame is xd many people sleep on him i don´t sue him becase i refer the non tanky or prefer having meteors (Ember) and Infested power (Nidus) but i recognize his terryfing dmg reduction skills.

I hope more people with this post might look him in a diferent way by the way do you use the heavy build or a normal attack build for your exalted?

As far as what i use for his Serene Storm and the Desert Wind build, I like to go a bit of both. 

Originally, I was under the impression that the "Healing Return" mod could work on his exalted weapon as it can be equipped, but that is not the case, it only works at 1.2m rather than the 20m that his exatled waves of punches reach to. It should be noted that his heavy attack can proc Life Strike and Healing Return though only the Life Strike is actually worthwhile, as healing return does not proc often enough to heal anything decently. 

So now i just build for attack speed to stack status fast on enemies.... 

Here is my build for that... Should be noted that the melee damage is not correct in the picture, as my warframe is only level 8 right now (just forma'd him again).

I6edOHs.jpg

Edited by TheShadeKing

2 hours ago, TheShadeKing said:

Hello Gears, 

I agree that requiring an augment to make his Serene storm really good is a bit annoying, but there is always room to improve.

I personally feel that his innate damage in his Serene Storm hits decently hard,  though yes only impact can be a bit of a downside. I personally feel that the waves of the punch should count towards the augment damage weakness conversion, though my main reason to use it is the status chance, and with the new statuses rework coming soon, this will be awesome as you will be able to have over 100% status chance with just the augment. Not to mention, when you tack on melee status mods, that is going to have some serious status procs. .

I’m actually ok with it needing an augment, I just hate how the augment is designed with what I can only guess is a “Balance mechanic” for an ability that already has a balance mechanic with restraint that it wasn’t justifying on its own.