Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So... You do a bunch of reworks yet forget to rework focus trees

Kashtan

Realistically there are two viable schools: Vazarin and Zenurik. Rest of the focus trees are next to useless or there's a single node that gives you anything worthwhile (Naramon's inner-might or whatever the combo decay mechanic was called) Why only Vazarin and Zenurik schools are viable? Because they help to refill two of the most important resources in the game that is health and energy and in case of Vazarin school you also get some additional stuff like instant revives, can heal objectives making defense missions a piece of cake and some other stuff while Zenurik school focuses almost entirely on energy and some random-ass cc sprinkled in.

But muh Eidolons!

Oh yes the other schools may find some use in a very specialized squad setup for Eidolon hunting but is it really that important? It only gives a little more damage which is baerly noticeable with how low damage the amps deal and with how ridiculous damage the rivens give to the weapons used in the hunts.

It's time for Focus 3.0 and honestly I have no idea how would you fix the current trees without overhauling them completely.

51 minutes ago, adek183 said:

Realistically there are two viable schools: Vazarin and Zenurik. Rest of the focus trees are next to useless or there's a single node that gives you anything worthwhile (Naramon's inner-might or whatever the combo decay mechanic was called) Why only Vazarin and Zenurik schools are viable? Because they help to refill two of the most important resources in the game that is health and energy and in case of Vazarin school you also get some additional stuff like instant revives, can heal objectives making defense missions a piece of cake and some other stuff while Zenurik school focuses almost entirely on energy and some random-ass cc sprinkled in.

But muh Eidolons!

Oh yes the other schools may find some use in a very specialized squad setup for Eidolon hunting but is it really that important? It only gives a little more damage which is baerly noticeable with how low damage the amps deal and with how ridiculous damage the rivens give to the weapons used in the hunts.

It's time for Focus 3.0 and honestly I have no idea how would you fix the current trees without overhauling them completely.

“Forget” is such a strong word.

For the record, I run Unairu 😛 Hadn’t considered how it’d help me with Eidolons, though.

Would you like to know why I run Unairu?

Edited by (NSW)Greybones
Indicating willingness to answer why I use Unairu

So to start, I feel the OP is needlessly confrontational and kind of setting itself up to fail: do Focus trees need a rework? Most likely, as there's not much diversity or interesting gameplay to the system. Did DE not include Focus trees as part of their massive set of gameplay changes? Indeed they did not. Should we fault them for not reworking Focus trees at the same time as all of those other systems? Probably not though, because the devs have a lot on their plate, and there are literal hundreds of issues one could easily accuse them of "forgetting", many of which are more pressing than Focus, even as they are making a legitimate effort to improve the game.

With that in mind, though, I do agree with the core assessment that Focus needs another rework. The ways to build Focus are rote to the point where there are basically only a small handful of setups that actually get used, and so because most nodes aren't worth picking. The increased Energy costs tacked onto upgrading certain nodes is particularly perverse in that it even discourages players from progressing past the first rank, because ranking the nodes up would be a pure downgrade. Despite one and a half reworks, the system still fails to justify itself beyond its Affinity grind, and to be honest I don't really know what it's even supposed to achieve. It doesn't make Operators that much more interesting to play or viable on their own, and to this day the whole Operator system as a piece of gameplay I think feels tacked on and lacking in purpose, despite the tremendous narrative implications.

Edited by Teridax68