Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

About Nova wormhole and bullet traversal changes

0_The_F00l

So in the recent stream it was mentioned that nova wormhole will now also transport bullets out of it, 

I am curious about how it will be, will they get some bonus damage? (radiation or magnetic would make most sense I guess?) will they travel with the same direction or will it be perpendicular? 

How will we be able to aim if it maintains momentum? Will the portal be an actual portal you can see through? 

I am looking forward to these changes more for the fun factor than any significant utility, but I would like to discuss what it could probably work for. 

• Like 1

It's probably going to do the same thing it does for players, simply move the projectile to a different place while maintaining its momentum. Likely not going to do anything for hitscan bullets, since those arrive at their destination instantly anyway.

11 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

How will we be able to aim if it maintains momentum?

Poorly, which is why this is just a cool gimmick rather than something actually usable in practice.

11 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Will the portal be an actual portal you can see through?

Lol, no.

Edited by SordidDreams
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, SordidDreams said:

It's probably going to do the same thing it does for players, simply move the projectile to a different place while maintaining its momentum. Likely not going to do anything for hitscan bullets, since those arrive at their destination instantly anyway.

Poorly, which is why this is just a cool gimmick rather than something actually usable in practice.

Lol, no.

Kill joy -_-

3 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Kill joy -_-

I GUESS you could use it to eliminate a portion of travel time... while most like obscuring your own view with the portal because making it a portal you can see through is... realistically speaking, probably more effort the DE thinks it's worth. I mean this game isn't Portal and there's a lot of warframes people can bring other than Nova.

Edited by AXCrusnik

2 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

I GUESS you could use it to eliminate a portion of travel time... while most like obscuring your own view with the portal because making it a portal you can see through is... realistically speaking, probably more effort the DE thinks it's worth. I mean this game isn't Portal and there's a lot of warframes people can bring other than Nova.

They already employ portal mechanics in railjack, rendering the missions and the ship internals to be viewed from the windows. 

16 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I am curious about how it will be, will they get some bonus damage?

I don't think so and possibly another augment

16 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

How will we be able to aim if it maintains momentum?

With difficulty

23 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Will the portal be an actual portal you can see through? 

No, spray and pray trick shot

7 minutes ago, AXCrusnik said:

Not sure what you're talking about. The exact same method from portal is how they do the viewports in Railjack. Steve's talked about it several times.

Your railjacks/crewships/bases are just tilesets loading in around the outside of the space area. They use "portals" to render areas inside the open world space area on the viewports.

Taking that mechanism that already exists in their rendering code and applying it elsewhere would be trivial. It's the original implementation that was hard.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

I would like to discuss what it could probably work for. 

you could cast a Wormhole in a doorway to a room full of enemies, and then even if you back off and the door closes, you could shoot explosives like Ogris rockets at the wormhole and have the rocket travel through and hit enemies through the door. a good way to maybe take out a few enemies at higher levels before running in, at least if you use a Launcher.

I think this example will be especially valid since the removal of self damage means that there will be more players than ever using explosives.

4 hours ago, (NSW)Sniperfox47 said:

Not sure what you're talking about. The exact same method from portal is how they do the viewports in Railjack. Steve's talked about it several times.

Your railjacks/crewships/bases are just tilesets loading in around the outside of the space area. They use "portals" to render areas inside the open world space area on the viewports.

Taking that mechanism that already exists in their rendering code and applying it elsewhere would be trivial. It's the original implementation that was hard.

Love the idea of seeing through portals, but the implementation would be pretty graphically-intensive. As far as I know looking through portals in most any game involves rendering everything all over again.

Tricks using occlusion would and have been used, but it can still easily be a hefty cost. Then do that for potentially 4 Novas 😛

Edited by (NSW)Greybones

11 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Kill joy -_-

Realist...

Probably won't work reliably when you aren't the host anyway, just like Nova often ignores her own wormholes unless she stands around for a few seconds before trying to use them. 🙂

I would love an update to the wormhole visuals though...even if you can't see through it...

4 hours ago, (NSW)Quarky said:

DUDE, I CAN'T WAIT TO SHOOT AROUND EVERY CORNER. I ABSOLUTELY AM STOKED ON THIS CHANGE. WORMHOLE IS NO LONGER AN AMAZINGLY FUN USELESS ABILITY! IT'LL JUST BE AMAZINGLY FUN, NOW! YAY!

Wormhole was never useless, it's fantastic for traversal and bypassing hazards like spy vault lasers/forcefields. My main issue with it is its anti-synergy with the rest of Nova's kit. High-level content especially forces the tank build, which results in an almost uselessly short wormhole.

Edited by SordidDreams