Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma rework

Shadew.exe

So now that self damage is gone, Chroma is about to fall back into the semi-irrelevant state he was in before the eidolon meta. With this in mind I wanna propose the ideas for an almost full rework of his kit including passive ability. As a Chroma main I love Chroma as he is, but still think he needs work done.

1st ability: You can change the selected element, cycle and hold to change. When you change you get a buff depending on the element (like equinox when she changes form), only 1 buff max. The buff has a duration based on powed duration, the strength of the buff is based on power strength and is in %.
Electricity: Small buf to melee, movement, reload and holster speed.
Cold: Small buff to armor and shields.
Heat: Small buff to health and passive health regen.
Toxin: Small buff to weapon damage.

2nd ability: Apply the status effect of current element to a group based on power range and duration. this should work like Frost's 2, as in it's a forward cone shaped wave instead of an 360 degrees nuke. Combine 2 elements to make a dualstat (corrosive, viral, etc) you cannot add more than one dual combined stat. The strength of the debuff scales on power strength. Only after the status effect is gone, can you cast other elements. You can keep casting the same ones to prolong the status effect.

3rd ability: Elemental Ward and Vex Armor combined, recastable and they work the same as before. The elemental ward part should give the same buff as the 1, but bigger quantities and also still have the aura of status around Chroma. You will need to recast if you wanna change element.

4th ability: toggle, chroma goes into overdrive and his power strength and range are increased (buff also applies to those who are in proximity of his 3), this should be locked behind a sort of gauge like baruuk's that will fill when you hit people with you 2 or get hit while in your 3. The overdriver multiplier values are based off of power strength. When the ability turns off, Chroma's energy is reset back to 100. This won't make it an easy press 4 to win ability.

Passive: Chroma gains x% resistance against selected element. I was thinking 20% for the value of resistance.

I came up with these changes to make Chroma more of the elemental focussed frame that he was supposed to be. I hope the rework gods see this and take this in consideration.

• Like 2

I think there are two factors at play here:

1. Chroma is a frame that needs to be damaged to come online, yet has no way of achieving that, which is why he's so reliant on self-damage outside of bosses like Eidolons or Profit-Taker that have damage coming out of literally every orifice. The most direct solution to this could be to simply attach a taunt to one of his abilities, or make him charge his Vex Armor himself.
  2. Chroma in general is a dysfunctional frame that is only picked because he has this one insanely strong steroid, and is otherwise not generally recognized to have successfully captured the fantasy of an elemental dragon. For this, he definitely needs a rework.

With this in mind, several suggestions in the OP I think look really good: allowing Chroma to choose which element to align himself with on the fly is something players have been asking for years now, and would allow him to have a proper passive that wouldn't mess with his cosmetics. Combining Elemental Ward and Vex Armor also sounds fine, given that the two abilities are duration-based steroids with aura components. The rest I think leaves more room for debate (the new 2 might as well be Spectral Scream, but with buffs to its damage and status so that it can be genuinely usable), but otherwise the general direction is something I'd support.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, Teridax68 said:

I think there are two factors at play here:

1. Chroma is a frame that needs to be damaged to come online, yet has no way of achieving that, which is why he's so reliant on self-damage outside of bosses like Eidolons or Profit-Taker that have damage coming out of literally every orifice. The most direct solution to this could be to simply attach a taunt to one of his abilities, or make him charge his Vex Armor himself.
  2. Chroma in general is a dysfunctional frame that is only picked because he has this one insanely strong steroid, and is otherwise not generally recognized to have successfully captured the fantasy of an elemental dragon. For this, he definitely needs a rework.

With this in mind, several suggestions in the OP I think look really good: allowing Chroma to choose which element to align himself with on the fly is something players have been asking for years now, and would allow him to have a proper passive that wouldn't mess with his cosmetics. Combining Elemental Ward and Vex Armor also sounds fine, given that the two abilities are duration-based steroids with aura components. The rest I think leaves more room for debate (the new 2 might as well be Spectral Scream, but with buffs to its damage and status so that it can be genuinely usable), but otherwise the general direction is something I'd support.

Thanks for the feedback, I went into this rework with more of a dragon slayer kind of approach (think fairy tail). I also want for him to be more of an elemental master since that is basically his theme, you even need parts from all the other elemental frames to build him, so I thought this would be a good way to make him more interesting and fun to play.

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

I honestly wanted him to become the dragon himself with his 4th ability. Similar to Titanias transformation, chroma turns into a dragon since his 4 is pretty uselss and have him attack in this state  using his first ability which would be a buffed up spectral scream. This would work similar to ivaras first ability where she could cycle through different arrows yet in his case would be the different status effects but way more buffed than how his first ability is rn