Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

is Gauss worth it

CephalonBismarck

I'm not a vet, I've started playing last November, but I think it depends on your playstyle. Mine is more stealty, therefore all that time on disruption missions for a frame that moves like a bullet does not apeal at all. BUT, if you like running, might be perfect for you. (and of course, if you have plat to spare that'd save you the grinding time - being a father I totally understand someone don't having time to waste on grind, I skipped two myself and I'm not ashamed to admit).

Yes, he's fast, he is duration based so you dont need to build for strength like volt, hes decently tanky to everything but infested, orbs, and nox. And he has some of the highest attack speed gains possible. He's also really in that anyone who gives him some form of speed buff will send him soaring. His only real weakness is that he is very greedy frame and gives out nothing to other people.

He is very fun 

And effective and very strong 

I think some people read enough to know what I'm going to say next...

HE'S NOT FASTER THAN VOLT AT ALL

But he's easier to build, manage, and more efficient 

I managed to put all sprint speed mods on my gauss to get maximum speed while still having room for a perfect build for all of his abilities and all content

Heh, interesting question, but entirely the wrong framing.

What does Volt do? Move fast? Yes, but also has a wide area CC/Damage hybrid cast, an invulnerable directional shield that you can cast multiple of to protect locations and will also buff your damage for shooting through them, and a point-CC cast for cheap on his 1.

What does Gauss do? Move fast? Yes. But also a damage reduction ability that makes him discount Rhino, which will buff the damage on his 1 if you use it, has a bit of built-in Rage mechanic too, and can scale up to make him virtually immune to most basic enemies if Redlined. He has a wide area slow CC and a wide area Damage cast on the same button, which can combine to give armour reduction based on his Battery level, when Redlined that ability will either instant freeze or deal double damage, and then can 100% armour strip when the two parts are combined. And his 4 makes literally everything you do better, it makes you run faster, reload faster, attack faster, can scale up to make your damage cast not drain your battery and make your defense ability not drain your battery... And this is all just with Neutral Strength. His mechanical functions are just fantastic.

Volt has benefits over Gauss in both his damage buffing, damage prevention and wide-area effects. Gauss has benefits over Volt in his mechanical functions like armour strip, crowd control and synergy with any particular weapons playstyle you like.

If all you're concentrating on is 'which one is faster', then you're not getting anything out of either frame.

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

He is very fun 

And effective and very strong 

I think some people read enough to know what I'm going to say next...

HE'S NOT FASTER THAN VOLT AT ALL

But he's easier to build, manage, and more efficient 

I managed to put all sprint speed mods on my gauss to get maximum speed while still having room for a perfect build for all of his abilities and all content

agreed. he is has an enjoyable to use skillset that is strong.

Yeah, they're not much related.

Gauss is great fun. The weapon speed buffs of Redline are particularly great in that unlike Wisp, he even affects reload speed, which can significantly change how you use some weapons and how effective they are. He's mad with a Shedu. 

4 minutes ago, (PS4)Ozymandias-13- said:

If you want more directional mobility then I would say stick with Volt, otherwise, I personally think Gauss is just a better made frame.

Their play styles are very different and comes down to preference, but I just enjoy Gauss much more between these two.

Finally, a ps4 player...want to race?

3 minutes ago, CopperBezel said:

Yeah, they're not much related.

Gauss is great fun. The weapon speed buffs of Redline are particularly great in that unlike Wisp, he even affects reload speed, which can significantly change how you use some weapons and how effective they are. He's mad with a Shedu. 

Perma fire shedu is awesome!!!

25 minutes ago, (PS4)Hopper_Orouk said:

Finally, a ps4 player...want to race?

Lol No thank you. 

I don't have bets on which frame is physically faster. I don't min-max and I don't use either of those frames for their speed, it's just a gimmick to me. I use them for their other abilities and happen to enjoy playing Gauss a lot more.

6 hours ago, Evildetrution said:

I liked being speedy boi with volt but I heard that Gauss is even faster than Volt

question is: is he worth all the trouble just to move really fast

To move fast alone? No. He is the strongest melee frame, extremely survivable and can dish significant damage with any weapon.

I personally think he is the best endurance run frame. 

Have been maining Gauss for awhile. Pure speed alone Volt is better but i like gauss better because his mach rush has no build-up to reach top speed. Thermal sunder has good damage, you can easily kill lv70 enemies just by spamming heat+cold, even higher when redline. It also serve as a decent CC and complement to Condition overload.

Survivability wise, with the shield changes, volt can use capacitance to be extra tanky, while gauss still pretty much the same. Gauss suffer from nox, some of corpus units, toxic ancient, ospreys, and tar mutalist moa. He is  immune to staggers and knockdowns though.

14 hours ago, Evildetrution said:

I liked being speedy boi with volt but I heard that Gauss is even faster than Volt

question is: is he worth all the trouble just to move really fast

Lol, yeah not really though. I mean if you move fast all the time, you miss all the ayatan statues, stars etc and it's no fun being a race horse in mission types that do not need it at all. 

He is OP for speed running profit taker though, one of my clanmates does it all the time with him.