Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

jjpdn

Abilities With Select Defeat Their Own Point

2 hours ago, Thrymm said:

I do disagree with this, however---I think the nature of the system we have is why we only have one useful ability.

Thats more to do with not overloading kits, thus each part of a multi-ability ability is weaker in contrast to its equivalent solo versions with at best only 1/x being truly strong. Wisp being the only notable outlier with both hp and speed mote without her 2 and/or 3 being below power curve unlike e.g. Equis.

I don't know and cannot quickly find out how on earth powers are controlled with consoles, but for keyboard, the thing I'd suggest is a lag-less 'drop down menu' style. For Vauban: Press 2 to swap all of his abilities to his minelayer abilities, then the moment you choose one, it reverts back to his normal abilities. This would allow a quick two-tap combo to cast precisely what you want to cast. 2-1: Tether, 2-2: Flechette, etc. Overall, I don't think quicktapping 2 is going to be any more of a hassle than holding it down.

But, as said, I don't know how this would interact with consoles since the information on how abilities are fired on consoles seems to be the kind of highly classified info that's not on a page 1 result on a duckduckgo search.

A select wheel could certainly make those abilities less clunky, though personally I'm simply not a fan of quiver-style abilities. Every single one of the abilities listed has maybe one or two effects that are genuinely useful (though generally weaker than fully-fledged abilities), whereas the rest are dead or extremely niche. In all of those cases, I'd much rather have a single good ability than four mediocre ones, and I feel in each case the resulting ability could either be a combination of the good ones (e.g. an arrow that would cloak an area and put enemies within to sleep for Ivara), or a new effect entirely that would stand out more from the rest (e.g. a sentry or other deployable defense for Vauban).