Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Mainline Part 2 Review: Puncture may still have the Weakest Physical Status Effect

OrangeKing64

This is before we test the update, but looking at Puncture, I would not be surprised if it remained the worst status option.

Just comparing it to Impact, its worst too. Puncture reduces enemy damage output, impact stops enemy damage output entirely. Which is better than simply reducing it.

Puncture needs a unique Proc, and considering that Puncture is strong against armor in the game, here's an idea:

The first Puncture proc has the target have 25% percent of all incoming damage now bypass armor, with each stack increasing the armor bypass by 5% to a max of 50% (capped)

If I'm wrong with the status effect being bad, then that's good to because no more work for DE. But again, I would not be surprised if remained the worst.

Edited by OrangeKing64
Typo's
  • Like 2

In a game about fighting fewer, stronger enemies at a time, or only being engaged by them in sequence if they're a group, Puncture procs would be strong. Incredibly so with the current changes.

Warframe, though, is a game of multitudes, and the proc simply can't be applied fast enough to a large enough number of enemies to matter all that much. Doubly so when it competes with procs that completely shutdown the ability of enemies to fight back (such as Heat, Impact, and Electric procs, with the latter shutting down entire clusters of enemies).

Edited by TheGrimCorsair
  • Like 1

I personally don't understand why the Puncture proc wasn't changed to a chance to punch through the target, given that that's the general expectation of what a puncturing projectile should be good at. All in all, though, will have to see how the new proc shapes up after the rework hits.

• Like 1

Puncture would theoretically be good if warframe had long, drawn out fights against single targets that are statusable and not just invincible most of the time. It... doesn't really have those.

Though they suggested that they might stop doing status immunity if these status changes work out, so maybe one day this form of puncture COULD have a use exclusively for slugfest bossfights or something.

Edited by OvisCaedo
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

I personally don't understand why the Puncture proc wasn't changed to a chance to punch through the target, given that that's the general expectation of what a puncturing projectile should be good at. All in all, though, will have to see how the new proc shapes up after the rework hits.

I suspect there's probably code issues as to how that would work which prevented that as the original implementation and this was just what we got for... some reason.

I do like the idea of puncture dealing damage to enemies behind the target somehow as an instant-application proc rather than a timed effect though, although I suspect to make it truly useful (because a lot of players use punchthrough weapons anyways) it would need an implementation that's a bit more forgiving than just a punchthrough effect (e.g. the enemy fires a hitscan targeted in a cone against a random other enemy 'behind' it from the source of the damage).

• Like 1