Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Goodbye Corrosive, Hello Viral!

Zekkii

This is from my own testing against lvl 150 enemies.

Alloy armor - Corrupted Bombard - Viral and Corrosive are very, very equal here. At 10 stacks, both Viral and Corrosive pretty much multiply my damage by 4.5-ish.

Ferrite armor - Corrupted Gunnter - At 10 stacks, Viral build damage got boosted to 4x while Corrosive is already doing 3x damage without any proc and boosted to 10.2x at 10 Corrosive stacks.

Pure health - Why should I test this? Viral all the way!

I was running around with a Heat Kuva Kohm built for Viral and was using Saryn and holy cow it was melting level 120 enemies. Corrosive still seems viable but Viral got a big boost. I always test weapons and builds in solo Arbitrations and Viral is my go to now with fire at the end of the build for the panic animation. 

Can confirm that Viral is pretty much the best element vs corpus and infested. For grineer you would need to completely remove their armor so Viral can do the most damage possible. Tested Kuva Bramma with corrosive build against armored heavy gunners, and it dealt with em quickly, so corrosive is still pretty damn strong. Swapped to viral to see a DPS loss, but the tides turned when i used my frost Avalanche to strip 100% of armor, viral was a one shot kill on most enemies.

Now, the Bramma is pretty strong on its own, so i swapped to a gun with lower damage output, did the same tests, and while viral is still good vs grineer, is nowhere as good as corrosive. but for corpus and infested? yeah those die really quick, specially since corpus shields are kinda weak unless you are in a sortie with shields condition.

100% armor strip warframes will benefit the most from viral.

It depends on weapon. Over lvl 100, especially corrupted, corrosive is still safest choice. Although on some weapons like nukor ... beam or high crit +hunter's ammo, viral is very comparable.

I guess they had wanted to make corrosive non mandatory ... which they suceeded. Kinda.  

Edited by ThorienKELL

Need to do more testing, but Viral/Heat seems to be the best choice now.

Corrosive may beat out pure Viral vs Grineer, but going with Viral/Heat for the slight armor debuff proc seems to give it the advantage again.

Against Corpus or Infested the damage on Corrosive drops off. It seemed to drop off heavily vs some Corpus.

So, Corrosive now appears to be a Grineer-specific use at best. Viral/Heat is the new general-use meta.

Haven't tested how Viral/Slash compares to Viral/Heat but suspect that's also very strong.

Edited by CoreWolf
  • Like 2

With the 80% cap on Corrosive's armor strip. Alone, it's strictly worse than Raw Radiation against Alloy armor at all levels.

Things change when you add Heat to the mix (an extra mod slot), but you can pair Radiation with Viral (another mod slot). 

Then there are the Kuva weapons where you can get Corrosive and Radiation all on the same weapon.

Edited by DealerOfAbsolutes
error

• 1 month later...

That is why I use Vaykor Sydon with 95% puncture so I get the 80% to reduce armour and enemies do less dmg to me. Then I do not need to use corrosive and I can do viral instead. Then how do I get slash? Since Vaykor Sydon only have impact/puncture? I use my Kuva Kohm and I also main Inaros so I get that nice bonus dmg from my 1st ability. Easy and simple.

Edited by Vintergatan