Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Feedback on shield gating in conclave

ShrewdyCrow

Just a fast post on how I feel about shield gating in conclave.

Honestly I almost had more fun fighting against 1 shot melee cheesers than playing conclave with shield gating. From what I experienced it slows the gameplay destroying the flow. It also rewards immensely people with great aim that can hit headshot consistently, but new players and people with bad aim (that maybe can't hit the enemy in that 3 seconds gap between the end of shield gating and the shield regen)? Well, sad times for them. In my opinion it increases the skill gap unnecessarily. I would get rid of it or make it a 0.1-0.2 invincibility because 1 sec really is too much for how fast paced conclave is.

P.S. Shotguns are bugged: if just 1 pellet hits the head all the pellets will ignore shield gating

• Like 10

Yes i totally agree

Battlefield 5 had the same problem. In one of the patches, seemingly aiming at lower skilled players, they increased TTK by decreasing damage of weapons across all of the classes.

Results were tremendously bad. People with already godlike aim had only 1 or 2 shots more to deal, which was no problem for them. But for new people, instead of 2 or 3 lucky shots, that ends up with kill. It became 5, which already prolonged the series of misses, and noobs died even more due to lack of skill.

Also this update rewards precision, while not rewarding precision. Bodyshots doesn't matter, you are forced to "tap heads" which before the update seemed like a joke, but now seems like a bad irony.

What is also mindbending is that i can't see other solution than removing this mechanic. Or introducing proper matchmaking with balancing weapons, which has never been that crucial propably, looking at history of this mode. Now most Pros will still tap heads, while noobs like me will not get any benefit from shooting seemingly correct body shots.

• Like 3

If shield gating is gonna be kept in conclave it should at most last 0.3 seconds (0.1 seconds would be ideal since it prevents cheap instakills without disrupting the player on the offense for too long)

2 hours ago, Okami_Shiranui said:

It's technically a nerf to my opticor..

Yeah, as a heavy hitting slow charge weapon that automatically shoots upon reaching max charge opticor should be able to bypass gating in order to not be rendered useless like it currently is. 

Spring Loaded Broadhead should also be tweaked to make daikyu able to bypass gating on hits to enemies 15m away or further, but should also provide a fire rate reduction to stop it from being the heavy damage spammable weapon that rewards luck it became with its pve charge rate buff.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Neuroszima said:

Or introducing proper matchmaking with balancing weapons, which has never been that crucial propably, looking at history of this mode. Now most Pros will still tap heads, while noobs like me will not get any benefit from shooting seemingly correct body shots.

Making modes more visible would definitely help, so we could get more info on what works a bit quicker. Gating seems to block most unbalance that comes through pvp for now... I do like strategic and high paced play, however this doesn't seem like the way it should be done. Reducing the gate time does seem the best, based off of observation. 

2 hours ago, Tachmag said:

If a weapon is one-shotting in a cheap manner, then that weapon should be balanced accordingly. A terrible system is not the answer.

Definitely agree. Removal of gating is a different story. Granted, I might think differently once I experience it for myself. All of pve changes did not transfer over either, and some of those will hopefully assist in making a better system

4 hours ago, Stormdragon said:

If shield gating is gonna be kept in conclave it should at most last 0.3 seconds (0.1 seconds would be ideal since it prevents cheap instakills without disrupting the player on the offense for too long)

Yeah, as a heavy hitting slow charge weapon that automatically shoots upon reaching max charge opticor should be able to bypass gating in order to not be rendered useless like it currently is. 

Spring Loaded Broadhead should also be tweaked to make daikyu able to bypass gating on hits to enemies 15m away or further, but should also provide a fire rate reduction to stop it from being the heavy damage spammable weapon that rewards luck it became with its pve charge rate buff.

YEA IT FREAKING PIERCES THROUGH YOU OF COURSE

8 hours ago, (PS4)TheThymeLord said:

Gating seems to block most unbalance that comes through pvp for now...

This is kind of the tricky other side of shield gating. I am, without a doubt, complete trash at Conclave, but the shield gating gives that little bit of time to figure out where in the heck I'm being shot from and (in lieu of something like a kill-cam) makes encounters feel a little more fair. Enough that my biggest complaint was that I suck, not "what the f^$% killed me".

They really need to work on game feedback and telling players what's going on...

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PS4)TheThymeLord said:

Gating seems to block most unbalance that comes through pvp for now...

To be fair, that's the only reason why i used an "if" at the start of my previous post here since in an ideal world DE would rebalance conclave stats either before releasing patches that affect them or shortly after any of these change bleeds into conclave and proves to be negative for it, all of it in order to prevent weapons fron feeling cheap.

The issue is that we're not in an ideal world and because of that we get things like stormpath not being fixed in nearly 4 months, which turns a lack of commitment to PvP balance into the only reason for gating to ever be kept.

Btw, even tough the quoted sentence wasn't a directed to me, i wanted to use it to elaborate on my stance towards gating and how it could be made less of an annoyance IF it gets to be kept.

• Like 1

All I'm seeing here is a bunch of PC players ranting about this and trying to have Shield Gating removed so badly. But what of the opinions and testing from the console side? We don't even have the update yet, and I'll guarantee if this is all changed before us over here get a chance to even see it for ourselves, it'll anger more players than it pleases.

Now let me give my piece on why I'm fine with the 1 second IP. As I said in another post, here on console Nidus is a highly used Warframe, and gets to have up to 3 Invulnerability Phases. And we're complaining about normal Warframes having 1 for a single second? If anything it gives us a chance to defend. Just simply limit the IP the way Hildryn's passive works, plain and simple. IP only on full shields. Plus the existemce of this new system gives mods like Quick Charge and Vital Systems Bypass more use. So much to think about with this. But bottom line, let EVERYONE get a chance to weigh in on it PC, because the way you guys experience Conclave is far different from that of the console environment. Factual statement.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, (PS4)CorruptAegis said:

All I'm seeing here is a bunch of PC players ranting about this and trying to have Shield Gating removed so badly. But what of the opinions and testing from the console side? We don't even have the update yet, and I'll guarantee if this is all changed before us over here get a chance to even see it for ourselves, it'll anger more players than it pleases.

^this

I personally love the idea of the 1 shot meta being shifted in conclave. Gone are the days of daikyu players.

9 hours ago, (PS4)CorruptAegis said:

Now let me give my piece on why I'm fine with the 1 second IP. As I said in another post, here on console Nidus is a highly used Warframe, and gets to have up to 3 Invulnerability Phases. And we're complaining about normal Warframes having 1 for a single second? 

Here you are comparing passive invulnerablity given to a player just by being around to a frame that needs to earn the stacks by using a 40 energy ability thats floor based in a gamemode filled with players who are constantly in the air? Thats not accurate at all and definitely shouldn't need explaining to anyone.