Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How Chroma works?

OrSpeeder

Question

I looked on google but found only threads before he was reworked a bit.

So... how he works? I just got Chroma prime and so far no clue how to use it, his first skill seemly deals little  damage and is stupidly hard to aim (for example seemly he only hits his sides, not his front?), the second skill seemly doesn't do anything, not even an animation.

Third skill... no clue what it does, except that people relied on explosive weapons to activate it.

Fourth skill spawns some angel of sorts... that doesn't do anything either, there is nothing on the GUI about what is being buffed or damaged or whatever.

9 answers to this question

Vex Armor (3) buffs armor when your shields take damage and buffs damage when your health takes damage. People often use this with self damaging weapons to get the maximum buff immediately but self damage is going away.

Elemental ward (2) gives buffs depending on the element it is set to. The element depends on the energy color given to Chroma.

Heat deals constant heat damage to all nearby ememies and increases max health.

Electric increases shields and deals electric damage to enemies who attack you.

Toxin increases reload and holster speed and deals a percentage of nearby enemy health as toxin damage.

Cold increases armor and reflects projectile damage back to enemies.

Most people use cold.

Spectral Scream (1) and Effigy (4) are not very good.

Spectral Scream (1) makes Chroma deal damage infront of him. The type depends on energy color.

Effigy (4) Makes Chroma shed his pelt to create a sentry that deals damage that depends on energy color. It consumes energy constantly while being used and halves Chroma's armor.

Edited by (XB1)Androy518
Vex armor is 3 elemental ward is 2

24 minutes ago, EoR_UncleSC said:

Seriously tho, does anyone ever read the in-game ability descriptions?

I do! And then I play around with them for a while! And then I read the wiki to figure out how they *actually* work. And then I try modding for them now that I understand them. And then I give up and grab a build off youtube or overframe because I'm too lazy to futz around with A/B testing mods.

• Like 6

4 hours ago, (XB1)Androy518 said:

Vex Armor (2)

Elemental ward (3)

You have these backwards.

Anyway OP, let me try to help out

6 hours ago, OrSpeeder said:

So... how he works? I just got Chroma prime and so far no clue how to use it, his first skill seemly deals little  damage and is stupidly hard to aim (for example seemly he only hits his sides, not his front?), the second skill seemly doesn't do anything, not even an animation.

Chroma is a tanky, status-buffing Warframe built to take no flak and dish out plenty in return. The usual playstyle for Chroma is to cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armor to literally wade into enemy lines, killing them before they can ever hope to kill him. 

Vex armor is the bread and butter of Chroma's might. When Chroma suffers damage to his shields, Chroma's armor stat will shoot through the roof, giving him massive damage reduction. This will be boosted further with certain Elemental Wards. Once his shields are down, further damage to Chroma's health gives him an enormous damage bonus, letting him destroy any surviving enemies with ease before they can finish him off.

Elemental Ward: Ice can be used to skyrocket Chroma's armor even further, turning him into an unstoppable glacier of dragon might. Elemental Ward: Fire can regenerate his health -- much more than the 100 health loss he needs to reach max Vex Armor boost -- giving him long-term staying power instead of short-term tankiness. Elemental Ward: Toxin is all bout damage, boosting Chroma's reload speed and dealing a special scaling damage to nearby melee enemies -- they instantly lose 5% of their max health every second. Elemental Ward: Electricity turns Chroma into a capacitor, storing the damage he took to charge Vex Armor and shooting it back at enemies with a hefty 10x base multiplier

With his boosted stats, Chroma is no flashy warframe, but he doesn't need flashiness to tear his enemies asunder. A Chroma's ideal playstyle is to simply stand his ground, powering through enemies and felling the biggest of game with nary but a couple shots. You need to manage your energy and health, or you'll be stuck in a field of enemies without your best buffs, but play Chroma well and your enemies will see why they should never meddle in the affairs of dragons

Unfortunately not everything on Chroma's kit is good. Two of his abilities are just... garbage... Spectral Scream is one of the least useful First powers in the entire game, doing piddling damage and locking out your guns while draining your precious energy. Effigy (the "angel" as you called it, it's actually just his enchanted jacket) is at least theoretically useful -- if you can find a source of energy for it, it provides a distraction and crowd control to defend a point while giving you a run speed buff, and the loss of armor is easily negated by Vex Armor -- but as a Fourth skill it's incredibly underwhelming.

As a result, literally everyone will tell you "just pile everything into Power Strength to boost Elemental Ward and Vex Armor". And they're not wrong.

Edited by TARINunit9
  • Like 2

you Cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armor, and then play the game like a normal Shooter. repeat the Casting part until the Mission is over.
also use Fire as your Element unless you're in an Organized Squad where you're stacking lots of buffs and then use Toxin.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

You have these backwards.

Anyway OP, let me try to help out

Chroma is a tanky, status-buffing Warframe built to take no flak and dish out plenty in return. The usual playstyle for Chroma is to cast Elemental Ward and Vex Armor to literally wade into enemy lines, killing them before they can ever hope to kill him. 

Vex armor is the bread and butter of Chroma's might. When Chroma suffers damage to his shields, Chroma's armor stat will shoot through the roof, giving him massive damage reduction. This will be boosted further with certain Elemental Wards. Once his shields are down, further damage to Chroma's health gives him an enormous damage bonus, letting him destroy any surviving enemies with ease before they can finish him off.

Elemental Ward: Ice can be used to skyrocket Chroma's armor even further, turning him into an unstoppable glacier of dragon might. Elemental Ward: Fire can regenerate his health -- much more than the 100 health loss he needs to reach max Vex Armor boost -- giving him long-term staying power instead of short-term tankiness. Elemental Ward: Toxin is all bout damage, boosting Chroma's reload speed and dealing a special scaling damage to nearby melee enemies -- they instantly lose 5% of their max health every second. Elemental Ward: Electricity turns Chroma into a capacitor, storing the damage he took to charge Vex Armor and shooting it back at enemies with a hefty 10x base multiplier

With his boosted stats, Chroma is no flashy warframe, but he doesn't need flashiness to tear his enemies asunder. A Chroma's ideal playstyle is to simply stand his ground, powering through enemies and felling the biggest of game with nary but a couple shots. You need to manage your energy and health, or you'll be stuck in a field of enemies without your best buffs, but play Chroma well and your enemies will see why they should never meddle in the affairs of dragons

Unfortunately not everything on Chroma's kit is good. Two of his abilities are just... garbage... Spectral Scream is one of the least useful First powers in the entire game, doing piddling damage and locking out your guns while draining your precious energy. Effigy (the "angel" as you called it, it's actually just his enchanted jacket) is at least theoretically useful -- if you can find a source of energy for it, it provides a distraction and crowd control to defend a point while giving you a run speed buff, and the loss of armor is easily negated by Vex Armor -- but as a Fourth skill it's incredibly underwhelming.

As a result, literally everyone will tell you "just pile everything into Power Strength to boost Elemental Ward and Vex Armor". And they're not wrong.

This was incredible useful information. Like the OP I hadn't been able to figure out Chroma.  Thank You.

1 hour ago, OrSpeeder said:

If I got it right... electricity chroma outright doesn't match in-game description neither the wiki description for the ability 2?

Lemme take a look...

In-game:

Depending on Chroma's elemental alignment, an offensive area-of-effect is created. Chroma and his nearby allies are imbued with defensive energy.

Doesn't really describe Electricity, so let's look at the Wiki:

Infuses Chroma and affected allies with an electric current that increases base shields by 100% and converts incoming damage into arc discharges. An arc discharge inflicts 1000% incoming damage as Electricity damage to a single target within 10 meters with a 25% status chance. Arc discharges will inflict a minimum of 200 Electricity damage.

In other words: each time you take damage, one enemy within 10 meters suffers 10x that much damage