Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Can DE bring Long-Press-E back ???

Anos-Voldigoad

11 minutes ago, -Ror5chach- said:

Or make it an option for players to choose.

They seem unwilling to do this.  First people asked for the option to hold E and other people supported it since it would have been an option.  DE then added it... but not as an option but rather a complete switch.  Then people asked for the option to disconnect the heavy attack from the 'hold E' and other people supported this as well since.... well it would have been an option.  DE then changed it to how it is now and stated in their patch notes they can't (or since that sounds BS more like they won't) have it as a toggle option/secondary bind.  If DE remain stubborn (or arguably incompetent) then I would rather it stay as it is.  I don't want the game to go back to punishing me for having high attack speed and high FPS by taking away a significant amount of my melee combo.

• Like 3

Yeah, I find it highly dubious that DE 'can't' make more options. Can't make an auto-unequip option. Can't make a hold-for-heavy option.

DE please. Can you actually NOT do this, when you've jimmied like seven different forms of gameplay into Warframe, or do you just not want to? I mean you built a fighting game for kicks and giggles, how is a few toggles beyond you?

• Like 1

17 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Yeah, I find it highly dubious that DE 'can't' make more options. Can't make an auto-unequip option. Can't make a hold-for-heavy option.

DE please. Can you actually NOT do this, when you've jimmied like seven different forms of gameplay into Warframe, or do you just not want to? I mean you built a fighting game for kicks and giggles, how is a few toggles beyond you?

A fighting game with about as much depth as a bowl of soup. Slam attacks straight up don't work, your fighter can just decide to stop attacking sometimes, and the grab is pitiful.

There are some things within the game's infrastructure that are tied to the engine itself. Changing those things on a whim is not something you can easily do.

If DE says they can't do something, they mean it. Stop whining and realize that making an entire game, especially one as deep and complex as Warframe, is hard.

Hell, your account's been active since month 2 of open beta. You should know that anyway.

33 minutes ago, Skyward_Knight said:

Hell, your account's been active since month 2 of open beta. You should know that anyway.

Ahaha, thinking that being around for a while will make someone less dumb.

Seriously though, yes making a game is hard and I appreciate the things they do. But I still find it difficult to believe that a toggle for this kind of thing is beyond them in some fashion. Hell, actually what they COULD do is do it like Sprint/Roll. Have separate keybinds. Have a keybind that binds to both light and heavy. Light for taps, heavies for hold, like how we have rolls for tap and sprints for hold.

Yo, you getting this? Only taggin' you cuz I can't remember who else exists. I don't know y'alls code, but there's precedent there.

And can I please have my auto-melee-unequip, come on. Could even do it the same way, with a separate 'quick melee' keybind. Don't even need any toggle options.

Edited by DeltaPangaea
I'm a dummy and tagged the wrong person and I don't think edits actually tag.
  • Like 1

Just now, -VS-Cookie said:

Well. How about trying the new cool key, called Middle Mouse Button?

The point of all this kerfuffle is that some people preferred using the hold, and in satisfying one group, they dissatisfied another. People don't like control schemes they've gotten used to being hecked with, see also the entirety of melee 2.9

• Like 1

1 minute ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Ahaha, thinking that being around for a while will make someone less dumb.

Seriously though, yes making a game is hard and I appreciate the things they do. But I still find it difficult to believe that a toggle for this kind of thing is beyond them in some fashion. Hell, actually what they COULD do is do it like Sprint/Roll. Have separate keybinds. Have a keybind that binds to both light and heavy. Light for taps, heavies for hold, like how we have rolls for tap and sprints for hold.

And can I please have my auto-melee-unequip, come on. Could even do it the same way, with a separate 'quick melee' keybind. Don't even need any toggle options.

First, pretty sure you can re-bind the heavy attack button to something like q, and auto unequip does happen if you just use quick melee instead of holding the switch weapon button. all you have to do is aim or shoot and you pull your gun right back out, no extra effort required.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Skyward_Knight said:

First, pretty sure you can re-bind the heavy attack button to something like q, and auto unequip does happen if you just use quick melee instead of holding the switch weapon button. all you have to do is aim or shoot and you pull your gun right back out, no extra effort required.

Not what I meant and again not what I meant.

Firstly, where your heavy attack is bound is irrelevant to what people are on about here. They want to be able to have both melee attacks on the same keybind rather than needing them separate. Given that we have the three keybinds for sprint and roll, one for each separate and one for combined picking between tap/hold, I don't see how this is unreasonable.

Secondly, I want to be able to just automatically switch back to my gun without having to fire off a random shot or lurch my screen and slow myself down with an aim. Even if I didn't use 'M1 to melee', I'd have to do this if I wanted to use a gun's secondary fire. It's flow-breaking. A keybind for 'melee attack but not equip afterwards' would be incredibly appreciated.

• Like 1

No, they can't. They have some kind of problem related to "held" melee attacks. Probably some spaghetti stuck in the code.

I suppose it has something to do with button states and how it links to combos, since that whole thing went to S#&$ right when melee 2.0 became a thing. At first they removed "charged" attacks completely. They managed to bring them back after some time has passed, but at that point said attacks were already crap since they required a quick melee strike to activate. There was that whole thing where some combos also had "hold" as a part of their moveset if I remember correctly so that S#&$ was ultra-#*!%ed and never really got fixed. Instead DE just replaced everything completely with melee 2.99 but even that system was broken and heavy attacks would activate at random(not on sword and board weapons tho). So they removed the "held" heavy attack variant and said that a toggle for that feature is not something they can do.

So yeah, maybe one day, when they decide to look at melee seriously instead of streamlining it to S#&$.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Lone_Dude said:

No, they can't. They have some kind of problem related to "held" melee attacks. Probably some spaghetti stuck in the code.

I suppose it has something to do with button states and how it links to combos, since that whole thing went to S#&$ right when melee 2.0 became a thing. At first they removed "charged" attacks completely. They managed to bring them back after some time has passed, but at that point said attacks were already crap since they required a quick melee strike to activate. There was that whole thing where some combos also had "hold" as a part of their moveset if I remember correctly so that S#&$ was ultra-#*!%ed and never really got fixed. Instead DE just replaced everything completely with melee 2.99 but even that system was broken and heavy attacks would activate at random(not on sword and board weapons tho). So they removed the "held" heavy attack variant and said that a toggle for that feature is not something they can do.

So yeah, maybe one day, when they decide to look at melee seriously instead of streamlining it to S#&$.

Pretty sure this is right.

Alot of us that wanted the hold key gone weren't after it because we disliked the gameplay of holding the button itself, rather we needed it gone because it was broken and screwing up gameplay.  An outright fix would have been just as satisfactory, unfortunately messing with the dynamics of held key actions virtually since game launch has shown them to be problematic for warframe.

So unfortunately, until someone has an epiphany and realizes there is a colon where a semi-colon should be somewhere, held key commands will continue to be more or less not able to be properly implemented for fast actions in warframe and will be relegated to clunky ability selectors on a couple of frames(which also don't work particularly well, but aren't subject to the frantic button smashing that melee is).

• Like 2

First off, no, if you want heavy spam rebind the melee attack to it.

On 2020-03-07 at 3:34 AM, DeltaPangaea said:

I have a doubt that its due to the engines recognition of keydown/keyup and tick timer vs fps recognition, which if fiddled with too much CAN actually funamentally break everything (tho i say CAN in caps since its not a guarantee as a few branches of unreal proven). OR it could just be extremely bad node implementation for attacks thus it would double the amount of work to make any melee stance which would be seen as equally "unreasonable".

Either way the reason hold to heavy sucks is the same reason why old hold and pause combos were dogS#&$ and dysfunctional and """scaling""" with attack speed thus never used unless it was both high enough in power and you could just reliably break it with regular lmb click spam like broken bull.

12 hours ago, DeltaPangaea said:

Firstly, where your heavy attack is bound is irrelevant to what people are on about here. They want to be able to have both melee attacks on the same keybind rather than needing them separate. 

That's exactly most of  us want .❤️ 

• Like 1