Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum Reactions Simplified

[DE]Drew

1 hour ago, -AoN-CanoLathra- said:

:thumbdown:

Ahem, I think you mean :poop:

Seriously tho I kinda miss having a variety of upvotes because sometimes you want to upvote slightly harder than others or with slightly different connotation. 

35 minutes ago, Oreades said:

Ahem, I think you mean :poop:

Seriously tho I kinda miss having a variety of upvotes because sometimes you want to upvote slightly harder than others or with slightly different connotation. 

All it means now is that, instead of being able to express myself through a reaction, I will have to add a post just to hold a single emoji.

In their attempts to clean up the forums, they simply made it more bloated.

Typical DE.

Wait did this also just sort of retroactively remove all other positive reactions from existing posts instead of converting them to the single generic like? my reputation doesn't seem to have changed (not that I care about it), but I can see at a glance a bunch of my recent posts seem to have had their reactions wiped.

Anyhow. I'm pretty sure a few years ago there were both up and downvotes, and nothing else, and those got replaced with the varied reactions for... whatever reason. And now we're rolling back to only "like" existing, I guess? It's possible my memory of up/downvotes on posts existing way back are entirely false though.

3 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

If you have a response that cannot be conveyed by an emoji, we encourage you to make a post explaining your opinion.

Sometimes you want to leave a "reaction" without making a pointless spam post, having a small selection of "upvotes" allowed us to react a specific way without bloating the forums with pointless spam reaction gifs with no content.

Tenno, 

We have simplified the forum reactions to include only 'Like' (+1 Reputation). The previous reactions were essentially doing the same thing as a 'Like' by providing 1 Reputation. If you have a response that cannot be conveyed by an emoji, we encourage you to make a post explaining your opinion. Reactions are a good way to quickly show support, but posting your constructive thoughts is always appreciated. 

Thanks!

Could we have the up vote back please?

In feedback or ask threads it meant that someone else was interested in the problem reported or the question asked which was distinct of liking a well thought out post.

1 hour ago, DrBorris said:

So if someone agrees with a topic, they have a button to push that doesn't bump a thread.

But if they disagree with a topic the only option available is to explain their opinion and bump a thread.

I'm all for discussion, but I can't help but see a problem here. "Bad" ideas will nearly always be discussed more and thus be seen more whereas "good" ideas will just get a few reputation then die. What if "liking" a post bumped a thread? That way "good" ideas would have a way to compete with "bad" ones in the battle of the front page.

This is the exact problem I see.

Someone make a ludicrous  suggestion and then farms responses by trolling anyone who disagrees.

Result: Post skyrockets to the front page and stays there for weeks as long as the original poster keeps laying salt.

Before I could just up-vote the arguments I liked in the discussion without becoming part of the problem by replying and bumping the post. Now You are requesting we post a response thereby keeping a bad thread alive.

Someone makes a decent suggestion and many people stop by to agree that it would make a wonderful addition to the game.

Result: Post doesn't keep up and fails after 5 pages.

48971792698_860ff4c293_m.jpg

30 minutes ago, Aesthier said:

This is the exact problem I see.

Someone make a ludicrous  suggestion and then farms responses by trolling anyone who disagrees.

Result: Post skyrockets to the front page and stays there for weeks as long as the original poster keeps laying salt.

Before I could just up-vote the arguments I liked in the discussion without becoming part of the problem by replying and bumping the post. Now You are requesting we post a response thereby keeping a bad thread alive.

Someone makes a decent suggestion and many people stop by to agree that it would make a wonderful addition to the game.

Result: Post doesn't keep up and fails after 5 pages.

48971792698_860ff4c293_m.jpg

This is a pretty good point.

I’m guessing the trade-off is “How important is my opinion?” versus “Do I want to keep this alive?”

That’s been a head-scratcher for me

3 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

Oh wow, it's finally happened. 

One degree closer to 451. 

Joking, it's not that bad, but I dislike this change that is proposed,

and it is clear if I have to show my dislike from a post, that is extra effort,

as compared to a simple click,

it is an attempt to reduce the discontent shown by people and paint a rosy picture , I personally will be posting more and showing where I dislike things with reasoning. 

The justification of "rep farming" is such a load of bull pie, who the hell cares about it?

You're on the fence on this one. I get it. That said, as I am sure you well know, if you disagree with a post, and others agree with you, your discontent can be upvoted too to show a communal agreement of discontent. Who ever gets the most votes wins? Maybe this will help promote more dialogue and real arguments and not $hit slinging? *Laughs* Who are we kidding? Time will tell. This system could work, and might make for interesting reading in future. We shall see.

Translation: Despite our attempts at baby proofing the forums, players had all agreed upon using some, specific emojis as a way of expressing dislike or laughter at bad ideas/posts/etc. So we just removed everything but the most basic like option.

I'm calling it now: Eventually the posting of embedded gifs, jpegs and youtube videos will also be removed, because clearly someone might get hurt by all the bender laughing gifs and assorted facepalm reactions. Nobody's fragile ego can handle that much Picard, clearly.

1 minute ago, CuChulainnWD said:

You're on the fence on this one. I get it. That said, as I am sure you well know, if you disagree with a post, and others agree with you, your discontent can be upvoted too to show a communal agreement of discontent. Who ever gets the most votes wins? Maybe this will help promote more dialogue and real arguments and not $hit slinging? *Laughs* Who are we kidding? Time will tell. This system could work, and might make for interesting reading in future. We shall see.

That’s a tricky one. Even writing “That’s a tricky one” is implying a blanket statement 😛

Personally, being unable to speak for others, I’ve read comments that were so close to being on the same page as me, but there would be points that I’d have to seek clarification for, cause maybe they were coming from a different perspective, so I didn’t like or upvote them cause it’d be like “Did I like point A or point B?”

Just now, XaoGarrent said:

Translation: Despite our attempts at baby proofing the forums, players had all agreed upon using some, specific emojis as a way of expressing dislike or laughter at bad ideas/posts/etc. So we just removed everything but the most basic like option.

I'm calling it now: Eventually the posting of embedded gifs, jpegs and youtube videos will also be removed, because clearly someone might get hurt by all the bender laughing gifs and assorted facepalm reactions. Nobody's fragile ego can handle that much Picard, clearly.

Alas even Picard is face palming Picard at this point. It is a travesty.

2 minutes ago, CuChulainnWD said:

This could work, if my post (just an example) gets auto escalated to the beginning of the thread with more upvotes,

if I make a sensible reasonable argument but I am at the very end of the line there is a very high chance that no one will actually read my post and so not provide any inputs on it.

Earlier I could drop in my dislike at the very beginning. 

That's why the amount of reactions drop drastically after the second page in any thread. 

8 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

The intention of the author is not necessarily the interpretation of the masses that read it. 

"Death of the author" theory. Which I honestly don't believe in. Like at all. When Roland Barthes says "To give a text an author [assign a single, corresponding interpretation to it] is to impose a limit on that text" all I hear is "claiming I have removed the author's agenda from a text gives me free reign to assign my own agenda."

Fair point. To avoid abuse, we'll simply have the 'Like' reaction. Any disagreement or contention should be discussed in a post. 

Why should we discuss something which can be pretty obsolete with a huge amount of comments, if we just react with a downvote/dislike. 

It's a win win situation, forums wont be filled with unneeded discussions, DE can notice way faster what players want especially 

2 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

"Death of the author" theory. Which I honestly don't believe in. Like at all. When Roland Barthes says "To give a text an author [assign a single, corresponding interpretation to it] is to impose a limit on that text" all I hear is "claiming I have removed the author's agenda from a text gives me free reign to assign my own agenda."

You are free to have your own opinions. 

Archived