Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum Reactions Simplified

[DE]Drew

5 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

The system we're using now is actually the original system. The five different reactions are a relatively new thing, only about a year old

Came to say this in response to that post, but it's likely older than a year now. Feels that way.

In the old days, we had a single heart, right?

If there's no changing this decision, the thread could've been a pinned announcement with no discussion.

If our opinions are being taken into consideration, I will miss the varied reactions a little but I'm mostly indifferent. I don't care enough to want them back.

3 minutes ago, 0_The_F00l said:

You are free to have your own opinions. 

Alright, but I'm going to add one thought to this before we respectfully part ways:

Keep in mind, when Roland Barthes created the very concept of "The intention of the author is not necessarily the interpretation of the masses that read it" in his famous "Death of the author" essay, he immediately copyrighted it, thus (be it through satire or hypocrisy, there's evidence for both) attempting to hold the intention of the author as more powerful than the interpretation of the masses

4 minutes ago, TARINunit9 said:

Alright, but I'm going to add one thought to this before we respectfully part ways:

Keep in mind, when Roland Barthes created the very concept of "The intention of the author is not necessarily the interpretation of the masses that read it" in his famous "Death of the author" essay, he immediately copyrighted it, thus (be it through satire or hypocrisy, there's evidence for both) attempting to hold the intention of the author as more powerful than the interpretation of the masses

Haha. That is indeed funny. 

29 minutes ago, Dark_Chroma_Prime said:

Why should we discuss something which can be pretty obsolete with a huge amount of comments, if we just react with a downvote/dislike. 

It's a win win situation, forums wont be filled with unneeded discussions, DE can notice way faster what players want especially 

Just want to point out that DE does not believe in downvotes/dislikes. They never have and never added a downvote/dislike to the forum for this reason. Other discussion forums and comment sections of major outlets also use this. It's a really common system. Is it a perfect one? No, but it is super-common and normal.

Edit: Rainbow Six Siege, Overwatch, World of Warcraft, New York Times comments section--just a random smattering of official forums off the top of my head that have no downvotes. They either have likes, hearts, or recommends only.

Disagreements in these forums have to be made in an actual response, too.

31 minutes ago, XaoGarrent said:

Translation: Despite our attempts at baby proofing the forums, players had all agreed upon using some, specific emojis as a way of expressing dislike or laughter at bad ideas/posts/etc. So we just removed everything but the most basic like option.

I'm calling it now: Eventually the posting of embedded gifs, jpegs and youtube videos will also be removed, because clearly someone might get hurt by all the bender laughing gifs and assorted facepalm reactions. Nobody's fragile ego can handle that much Picard, clearly.

The thing is I'm new to the forum and never even knew this was a thing, which says quite a bit. When you go so far as to remove content and features to solve a problem that wasn't really there, at that point its just being used as an excuse.

I would equate how useless and unimportant forum rep is to Reddit's karma system, but at least Reddit accounts with high karma can actually be sold to astroturfers. lmao

I don't know, just seems like an escalation to something that wasn't even a problem... like fully reactionary. I don't think DE has thought this through, especially since Haha got removed based on a single post from this very thread.

Like its one person making so many drastic changes to the official site for Warframe discussion. DE should talk this through with others at the company first, if they haven't already. Don't just keep the one "Like" if you're going to gut the rest, just remake "Like" to an up arrow vs a down arrow. Heck, do something else. Anything else.

Again it's not a big deal to me. I'm new to the forum, I have like 30 rep or whatever, so I'm not really invested in it. Just seems like a bad change or escalation to a small issue.

Awww mannnnnn, I used the different colored emotes in order to communicate with the more time strapped and/or shy members of my audience, now with those gone, it gets even quieter in me ol Pit.

Ah well, so much for those good-ol days. Wonder how i'll do it now. 

What an unnecessary and downright detrimental change. The forums were always a place for discussion. If people saw a thread with something they disagree with, they would hop in the thread and argue anyway.

Why would anybody sound of mind argue with a person intentionally, and obviously, baiting? "Abuse" wasn't a thing, people are naturally going to respond however they can, and removing the equivalent of "I don't like this/find this funny" will do nothing but decrease the number of player interacting with a post. So now, instead of threads with ridiculous ideas having a bunch of various reacts, you'll have threads with nearly no reacts.

Discussion isn't always necessary or possible, some people just want to laugh at the post and not get into further discussion. That's just how people are.

I don't want to argue wether it's a good change or a bad one (personally dislike it), I just wanted to point out how symptomatic the execution of this change is for DE's way of working or "fixing" things: Why does it look like you simply prevented the reaction bar to expand to the left?! Now if we hover over the like button, this dark quarter-moon rises as if the now suppressed reactions are rising from their digital graves again just to be cut off by a badly implemented, slapped-on patch of code.

It does work somehow, yes. But it could be so much better. Like Warframe as a whole.

18 minutes ago, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

The reason people gave the "haha" reactions were either because they found other people's dislike about the updates as humorous, or because people made posts that expressed their frustration but did it in a way that actually made people laugh. 

I’m pretty happy to have a chuckle to myself. I’m not too upset that someone else won’t know that I found a thing of theirs funny.

Personally I rarely used it. Maybe once. Many posts didn’t seem like they’d appreciate someone laughing at them, and I can respect that.

Just thought I’d chip in cause I’m a people too 😛

ryan reynolds hd GIF

It’s human nature that some people hate/dislike your ideas. An agree/disagree emote is better than just diluting the forum with non argumentative responses. Besides, people will just circumvent it by commenting “Yeah... no” to get their deny responses and will create spam comments in threads

8 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

it is clear if I have to show my dislike from a post, that is extra effort

Good. People can discuss something instead of leaving a sarcastic emote on the post. This does not "reduce discontent" and "paint a rosy picture" because leaving a haha or a wow on a comment means literally nothing. If people are discontent, they can say it.

11 minutes ago, (NSW)Greybones said:

I’m pretty happy to have a chuckle to myself. I’m not too upset that someone else won’t know that I found a thing of theirs funny.

Personally I rarely used it. Maybe once. Many posts didn’t seem like they’d appreciate someone laughing at them, and I can respect that.

Just thought I’d chip in cause I’m a people too 😛

I admittedly miss the upvote option actually. 

First the downvote was removed, now this.

I will have you know I gave people the ''satisfied'' as a show of my highest respect which I can convey through a mere upvote.
Having to reply to do that instead would just clutter up the thread at best, likely derail it at worst.

6 hours ago, 0_The_F00l said:

it is an attempt to reduce the discontent shown by people and paint a rosy picture , I personally will be posting more and showing where I dislike things with reasoning. 

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that is exactly what they want. I mean, just disliking a post in now way give them useful information. Since DE actually gives half a poop about what we actually think, the more input we give them the better. 

They want our CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. A little angry face or down vote does not tell them at all why we don't like something, or what part of a large update post (for example) is the issue.

And to all the comments I see about how this will just create spam, people already spam posts to bump them. That won't change.

To the people saying that this is suppressing our feelings or opinions, you actually proved yourself wrong by posting. You gave your opinion. Your opinion was not suppressed. You just had to actually present an opinion, instead of just hitting a little emoji that really said nothing at all.

6 hours ago, MaxSaga said:

Why don't you just do two reactions:

Positive: Lotus brand.
Negative: Stalker's brand.

After all, they're just reactions, Obviously it is best to leave the reaction and a comment on why the reaction is happening.

Because if they do it like that, people would pick Stalker because it's Stalker and not becaus it's ''negative''.

47 minutes ago, (PS4)BlightDragon89 said:

I think you hit the nail on the head. I think that is exactly what they want. I mean, just disliking a post in now way give them useful information. Since DE actually gives half a poop about what we actually think, the more input we give them the better. 

They want our CONSTRUCTIVE criticism. A little angry face or down vote does not tell them at all why we don't like something, or what part of a large update post (for example) is the issue.

And to all the comments I see about how this will just create spam, people already spam posts to bump them. That won't change.

To the people saying that this is suppressing our feelings or opinions, you actually proved yourself wrong by posting. You gave your opinion. Your opinion was not suppressed. You just had to actually present an opinion, instead of just hitting a little emoji that really said nothing at all.

Hey, these are some pretty cool points. You got my like for them. And the ability to clarify that I like points A, B, and C and to provide a reason for it instead of readers asking “Why did this person like this post...? Who liked this post?” is a good supplement.

Archived