Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Forum Reactions Simplified

[DE]Drew

3 hours ago, XaoGarrent said:

Translation: Despite our attempts at baby proofing the forums, players had all agreed upon using some, specific emojis as a way of expressing dislike or laughter at bad ideas/posts/etc. So we just removed everything but the most basic like option.

I'm calling it now: Eventually the posting of embedded gifs, jpegs and youtube videos will also be removed, because clearly someone might get hurt by all the bender laughing gifs and assorted facepalm reactions. Nobody's fragile ego can handle that much Picard, clearly.

DON'T GIVE THEM IDEAS!

6 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

Tenno, 

We have simplified the forum reactions to include only 'Like' (+1 Reputation). The previous reactions were essentially doing the same thing as a 'Like' by providing 1 Reputation. If you have a response that cannot be conveyed by an emoji, we encourage you to make a post explaining your opinion. Reactions are a good way to quickly show support, but posting your constructive thoughts is always appreciated. 

Thanks!

:thumbdown:

Wait, what? This isn't a bug? This is stupid. Here's why:

DE: Let's not provide a dislike reaction.

Players: Let's use Haha as a dislike.

DE: Let's remove all reactions other than a basic Like button.

Players: Let's just post a gif that shows disagreement and then Like that.

You can't stop people from expressing their disagreement and disapproval, and you shouldn't stop them from expressing it quickly and concisely. This change is only going to exacerbate the obnoxious gif spam problem that already exists. And when you inevitably remove the ability to post embedded gifs, it's going to be ASCII art. The more restrictions you put in place, the more effort enforcing them is going to require, and the less able you are going to be to do so. This is a pointless, futile exercise. Revert this change, or better yet give us actual upvote and downvote buttons.

Ah yes... I love the bit about if you have a response post it... is that so it can be deleted easier than a smiley? 

Posts often get magically removed without any notification to the authors, the same can't be said about reactions on the OP....

7 minutes ago, SordidDreams said:

Wait, what? This isn't a bug? This is stupid. Here's why:

DE: Let's not provide a dislike reaction.

Players: Let's use Haha as a dislike.

DE: Let's remove all reactions other than a basic Like button.

Players: Let's just post a gif that shows disagreement and then Like that.

You can't stop people from expressing their disagreement and disapproval, and you shouldn't stop them from expressing it quickly and concisely. This change is only going to exacerbate the obnoxious gif spam problem that already exist. And when you inevitably remove the ability to post embedded gifs, it's going to be ASCII art. The more restrictions you put in place, the more effort enforcing them is going to require, and the less able you are going to be to do so. This is a pointless, futile exercise. Revert this change, or better yet give us actual upvote and downvote buttons.

I'm in agreement here. The answer wasn't over limiting, you just need two options for both sides of a discussion.

Or here's a crazy idea, if you want players to actually discuss things then remove the entire rep system altogether instead of making it look like you only want positive feedback to everything. The problem is only going to get worse from here, and you'll be back at square one. 

Seriously, what's next, having you get one like automatically just for posting? Is that how we solve problems with the forums?

Edit: I get the irony of agreeing with a post about disagreement. I've been on a hiatus, give me time to get back into things.

Removing emote responses is only going to get a lot of negative spam post instead (with either a GIF, or a verrry few words, etc), because the more streamlined option is removed.

Not sure how this is "simplified" when its just going to create a lot more post spam to scroll past with the same substance as the prior emotes...

8 hours ago, [DE]Drew said:

Fair point. To avoid abuse, we'll simply have the 'Like' reaction. Any disagreement or contention should be discussed in a post.

Expressing disagreement is fundamental in a discussion and the removal of a dislike reaction, with the invitation to write each time a dedicated answer, is exaggerated imo.

There are cases were a simple dislike is truly needed (purely rude/non-constructive/toxic comments), and cases where an elaborated answer is needed. Replying with a new post in both cases would clutter the forum and obscure with noise the relevant discussions. Is a dislike abuse really worst than a spam abuse?

Actually "haha" was sometimes used because the post was indeed funny, like when someone posted a warframe meme as a reaction, it didn't have negative conotation all the time.

It was context based, players using the like/dislike sometimes actually liked the post because it was so well placed, the only way to know was to read the post itself.

17 minutes ago, KIREEK said:

Actually "haha" was sometimes used because the post was indeed funny, like when someone posted a warframe meme as a reaction, it didn't have negative conotation all the time.

It was context based, players using the like/dislike sometimes actually liked the post because it was so well placed, the only way to know was be reading the post itself.

That sounds really prone to misinterpretation when using it for both a laugh and a dislike, subjective as most things are.

I think I’d stop using the Haha, knowing this now.

What a pointless thing to change. Like... why? This wasn't even in people's minds at all. All you've done is to force people to posts gifs and when you inevitably ban gifs, people will move onto images and then ASCII art. 
There was a good selection of reactions and everyone was ok with them. Trying to control how people react will only make said people find other ways to do it.

It doesn't work and it's pointless.

Let the forums burn I say.

If you needed a little yellow haha to show you don't agree with something then surely you can explain WHY you don't agree with it right?

Or are we just supposed to infer the exact reason why somebody doesn't agree with something from vague non-answers and emojis?

Does ANYONE know how to actually talk anymore or is it just acronyms and images now?

7 minutes ago, Aldain said:

Let the forums burn I say.

If you needed a little yellow haha to show you don't agree with something then surely you can explain WHY you don't agree with it right?

Or are we just supposed to infer the exact reason why somebody doesn't agree with something from vague non-answers and emojis?

Does ANYONE know how to actually talk anymore or is it just acronyms and images now?

drag race alaska GIF by RuPaul's Drag Race

Ok seriously, this is what I was getting at. People don't use words anymore.

vor 11 Stunden schrieb [DE]Drew:

Tenno, 

We have simplified the forum reactions to include only 'Like' (+1 Reputation). The previous reactions were essentially doing the same thing as a 'Like' by providing 1 Reputation. If you have a response that cannot be conveyed by an emoji, we encourage you to make a post explaining your opinion. Reactions are a good way to quickly show support, but posting your constructive thoughts is always appreciated. 

Thanks!

:thumbdown:

7 hours ago, LSG501 said:

Ah yes... I love the bit about if you have a response post it... is that so it can be deleted easier than a smiley? 

Posts often get magically removed without any notification to the authors, the same can't be said about reactions on the OP....

Just quoting this incase it magically disappears.

I will notice it being gone.

Archived