Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Conquering the Tomb Guardian (Sands of Inaros)

Galoain

Question

I've been struggling for months now on beating the final mission of the Sands of Inaros quest.  I honestly have needed to resort to incredible amounts of cheese to survive the first two legs of the mission:

The first time, with the kavats, I spent a lot of time hiding behind the raised platform in the chamber, as I was attempting to scan the kavats for genetic codes, and had some close shaves because to thin them out, I had to jump up and take potshots at them or swing my Galatine around a few times before retreating to the water encircling the platform to lick my wounds (and use Renewal, as I was using Oberon at the time). This took a pretty long time as I had not yet learned how efficient mod setups worked and had not bothered to upgrade any of them, and I used a lot of my squad energy restores (small) to keep my energy up for Renewal's use.

The second fight, against the dividing rock monsters, I initially attempted it with a poorly modded Rhino and Galatine, and was quickly stomped into paste.  Then, after learning more about how to mod, I was stomped into paste again.  Then I was recommended the use of Nyx, whom I'd thankfully just built, along with a Torid heavily modded for Viral, joining the clan of the player who recommended it to me for the research.  The Nyx advice turned out to be not as solid as I thought, as it seems Chaos didn't really work on the rock monsters, but the Torid advice was spot on.  I just had to bullet jump around the room so the rock monsters' agro reset and I could then take another potshot at them, slowly whittling them down one by one.  There were a few close calls as I got cocky and thought I could fire off more shots at once and opened myself up to a thrown boulder, but I survived.

With this final fight, I collected as many tips and tricks as I could from friends, clanmates and the wiki, not bringing a strong primary weapon to the fight so the specter of me the Guardian summons doesn't have a god-tier gun to shoot me with, having a fully-upgraded Corrosive Projection in the Aura slot, but I was surprised by the amount of damage the enemy's Mutualist Cernos did to me over time, killing me quickly to the point where I was burning through all my revives within the first round of the boss battle.

So I decided to give it a rest and do other stuff while I got a better grip on mechanics I hadn't really paid attention to.  By now, I know what procs and status do, so I know a frame with some status immunity will be able to tank more efficiently.  There's two frames I have that can do this:

Rhino, now that I know more about how mods work and because I now have the Iron Shrapnel mod.  The idea here would be to use Iron Skin to tank the Guardian's toxic procs and such.

Oberon Prime, currently one of my favorites, using Hallowed Ground and Renewal for the status immunity and health regen.

The issue I'm concerned with is running out of energy to keep these abilities going.  I have a fully upgraded Energy Siphon aura, allowing me to retreat from the Guardian when things get dicey, wait for my energy to top off, reactivate my abilities and return to the fight, but I worry that Corrosive Projection might be essential for this fight.  As far as just spamming restores goes, I only have the ability to craft individual small ones.  I have the blueprints for large squad ammo and health restores, but lack access to Nano Spores as a resource to build them as I'm currently working through Jupiter and Europa, and wanted to complete this quest first before starting The New Strange. In addition, to get large squad energy restores, I'd have to work my way up a Syndicate that offers it, most of whom are opposed to Steel Meridian and the Red Veil, whom I've built the most relationship with.  I've also been recommended the use of the Vaykor Marelok, but I'm not at the highest tier with Steel Meridian yet, and my luck with the RNG to get the blueprint for the Equinox Prime Neuroptics they require hasn't been great.

So, what would you fine folks recommend? Are there options I haven't considered yet?  What cheese can I grate to finally stop this quest hanging over my head once and for all? Thanks in advance for your kind advice. 🙂

Edited by Galoain

15 answers to this question

12 minutes ago, Galoain said:

I've completed my new Valkyr and am in the process of ranking her up!

What's a good build for her to allow her to succeed against the Tomb Guardian?  I have the blueprint for a regular Ignis, but I lack the Nano Spores to build it...

I mod my Valkitty for Duration, Strength and Efficiency so she can activate Hysteria and keep in its effect for as long as possible. Corrosive Projection was a great Aura but I have given her Energy Siphon for those missions as it fills her Energy faster or Steel Charge Aura to give her Venka more damage (If you are a user of Zenurik with Energising Dash then skip Energy Siphon as you switch to Operator, Void Dash, switch back to Valkitty and it charges her Energy. My Valkyr Prime has 563 Energy which with Continuity, Streamline, Transient Fortitude (Rank 4) a full Umbra set and almost max Primed Flow (2 ranks off) is more than enough to take down Tomb Guardian and any clones as Hysteria makes Valkitty immortal bar very very select sources (running out of life support in Survival say). My Venka Prime is set for Viral damage as it was before the new PC status changes and I've put Corrosive on her talons.

Either way you arm her, the Ignis is great for ranged killing but having Hysteria switches her to melee as ranged attacks cancel it - giving two methods to take him on

• Like 1

The first missions were so easy that I went in to the final mission with an Ash with a Baza and Orthos. Not Good. I completed, but just - it is important not to get hit in the face with bolders - I figured that out all by myself.

I think that a defensive mindset is needed, at least it worked for me, but it is a tough mission - G'Luck! :redveil:

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Galoain said:

So, what would you fine folks recommend? Are there options I haven't considered yet?  What cheese can I grate to finally stop this quest hanging over my head once and for all? Thanks in advance for your kind advice. 🙂

Hi, what I remember I made it with this setup Rhino+Dex Sibaris, ocassionaly casting Iron skin. It helps a lot to have long-range, ammo-efficient rifle/sniper + Ammo pizzas.

BUT the most important thing is MOBILITY. I was standing on one side of the cave and head-shooting only on 1 golem. When he gets close I bullet jump around him on opposite side of cave and shooting again (over and over). It also helps to stand on edge of some cave-corridor that you won't be harmed by their long range attacks. (I also used this tactics to beat ExcaliburUmbra with MoteAmp)

Also kill only 1 golem and then start killing his smaller-golem-spawns. If you kill all bigger golems at once then you could get swarmed by smaller ones..

Edited by (PS4)shann_cz
  • Like 1

Thank you, but I'm past that fight now.  That's the one I used the Torid with.  The one I'm talking about is the last one, where you fight what's basically an Inaros specter armed with the Lesion and Mutualist Cernos three or four times, with him retreating into his sarcophagus and making one of his statues come alive in-between rounds.

You're ABSOLUTELY right that mobility is the key to surviving the golem fight, though, speaking from my own experiences. 😉

Edited by Galoain

I remember that mission being very difficult at the time since i didnt have much stuff back then it took me a couple of times and me being me used the same loadout mesa prime hek and dex furis (no melee to get mesa passive although it didnt do much to be honest).

every single time i either run out of ammo cuz well pretty bad at shooting or got swarmed by those little rocks that run pretty fast tbh when they are really in a group

only way i got it to work was when one person joined and when we couldnt kill it after like 40 minutes into the mission he found a legde in the outer ring of the map and we just cheese it with him giving me energy by spoiler mode and me just spamming 4

Tl;dr just get carried bro 😛

man those times were fun with the challenge and the fustration of trying with no end in sight

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Galoain said:

Thank you, but I'm past that fight now.  That's the one I used the Torid with.  The one I'm talking about is the last one, where you fight what's basically an Inaros specter armed with the Lesion and Mutualist Cernos three or four times, with him retreating into his sarcophagus and making one of his statues come alive in-between rounds.

You're ABSOLUTELY right that mobility is the key to surviving the golem fight, though, speaking from my own experiences. 😉

Oh sry. I checked youtube how the final boss looked like.. I killed him the same way as golems - jumping/headshots.

But I saw guy taking Valkyr and used her 4th skill, you get almost-immortality and melee buff. Or Ash+Bladestorm.

Edited by (PS4)shann_cz
  • Like 1

Oh Sand of Inaros ,i remember it was hell for me back then..

I was using bad gear, Nyx Soma Staticor & Atterax, not really bad gear, but not the best options + not good mods. 

It took me about 1-2h to finish it bc i was bad (probably I'm still bad).

But I would say go for any tanky frame and crit weapons.

• Like 1

I used Khora w/ Corrosive Ignis Wraith and matching Force Specter. Also had my Smeeta Vaquaera. I found keeping my girls back and letting the three cats melee him worked a peach. Didn't see any clones as the girls did so much damage he spent more time in Sarcophagus form. The Ignis has such a range you can be behind a pillar and still burn his face off being he can only Shadow Clone you not Specter even then he needs Line of Sight to do it. So I was 75% covered by a pillar (strange how games work sometimes. I can see all the way around an object but invisible wall says I can't walk or fire through what appears to be empty space) and the girls can't be Shadow/ Sand Cloned either meaning he was stuck; can't shoot me as stuck melee'ing three Kavats but can't melee either as two Khora's are melting his face with flamethrowers

• Like 1

I've completed my new Valkyr and am in the process of ranking her up!

What's a good build for her to allow her to succeed against the Tomb Guardian?  I have the blueprint for a regular Ignis, but I lack the Nano Spores to build it...

I can't really use ANY of the Focus Schools or Operator Mode as a whole yet, as I haven't reached the Second Dream and War Within quests (after I'm done with Sands of Inaros I plan on doing The New Strange). 😬

1 minute ago, Galoain said:

I can't really use ANY of the Focus Schools or Operator Mode as a whole yet, as I haven't reached the Second Dream and War Within quests (after I'm done with Sands of Inaros I plan on doing The New Strange). 😬

ahh right. Then either store up her energy until the Tomb Guardian arrives or use Energy Siphon aura from Nightwave - whichever you have and whichever is more helpful

• Like 1

I DID IT!  I didn't even NEED Energy Siphon's benefits because one casting of Hysteria carried me through 75% of the fight and the recent update made the fight a lot less of a slog!  I'll definitely be using Valkyr in Junction fights in the future for the same reasons.  Thank you all for the advice! 😁

15 hours ago, Galoain said:

I DID IT!  I didn't even NEED Energy Siphon's benefits because one casting of Hysteria carried me through 75% of the fight and the recent update made the fight a lot less of a slog!  I'll definitely be using Valkyr in Junction fights in the future for the same reasons.  Thank you all for the advice! 😁

Awww you're most welcome hun 😋 just glad to be of any even little help heh