Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A rather unique Warframe Fanart

loosec4nnon16

I wanted those warframe figures, but they were sold out, so i had an idea: "Why not try to make one?"

Having a 3D printer at my disposal, i looked upon a 3D model, then I downloaded the 3D model from Steam Workshop for tennogen development.

But that's not enough. A cool figure must have a cool pose to print, but which one? Well...that´s tough, what should i do?

Although i have little expertise in CAD software, I tried Fusion 360 to tinker with the 3D model, since i knew Blender wasn´t going to cut it. 

About those figure thing, I had inspiration from my small collection of 1:6 scale Hot Toys figures, non-scale Amazing Yamaguchi Revoltech figures, and some old Master Grade Gundams i assembled back in 2006. With that in mind, i leaned towards the idea of making an articulated figure.

In Fusion, i started drawing, joints and tools, blew the dust off my Wacom, and started drawing the cuts to the mesh.

Little by little, Nyx started to take shape. After some trial and error i managed to get a standing figure:

yHFmDsi.jpg

But something was off, so I did it again.

Some days later, I got another prototype standing. Then more trial and error, and a handy dremel, i finished the first version:

MWeiOYh.jpg

L5VVZjc.jpg

And now some pose test

qgF3KQ4.jpg

C8X5yIh.jpg

T1BOnBg.jpg

Now we slap in a nikana for extra coolness factor

425zROG.jpg

9LYoziF.jpg

ffThld0.jpg

FknCZdX.jpg

ARLYOeG.jpg

Agf7Pmv.jpg

LTQRJFW.jpg

boBAJCU.jpg

And there we have it, a Nyx Figure, next step is the surface refining and painting.

qzc6LJ7.jpg

This prototype is approx. 11 inches tall, i have to test if this print is scalable to smaller formats, so far its on par with 1:6 scale figures.

So, what are your thoughts on this "Fanart"? 

• Like 28

Absolutely freaking epic!  Well done!  Can’t wait to see the final painted version!!  I’m curious how exactly you approached the poseable joints.  Did you 3d print those separately and attach pieces to them after?  Boolean processes etc?  I need all the info!  So cool!  🙂

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 2020-03-06 at 11:58 PM, (PS4)Crackle2012 said:

Absolutely freaking epic!  Well done!  Can’t wait to see the final painted version!!  I’m curious how exactly you approached the poseable joints.  Did you 3d print those separately and attach pieces to them after?  Boolean processes etc?  I need all the info!  So cool!  🙂

This version i 3D printed everything separated and assembled with some slight adjustements. I used several resources from Fusion 360, i can help you out if you are interested.

On 2020-03-11 at 1:09 AM, spartanB237 said:

I would very willingly pay for one of those!

That's what motivated me to do those things, since i was 7 actually, there were not much action figures back in the day, and those who existed were pricy as f. My first "action figures were made of paper, clay or "frankensteined" from several broken toys. 

On 2020-03-14 at 4:54 AM, Cortanis said:

Looks like sanding and finishing are going to be a real task on that. Question is, how are you going to paint it? Fashion frame is the true end game after all.

Well, i did not take fashion frame into account, if only i could make the basic warframes, i would be satisfied. About sanding, yes, it is a chore right now, but dremel is our friend on those artisan crafts. After sanding and applying some putty, i am going to paint it using her default paint scheme.

I am thankful for your responses, consider this figure my "alpha build", next step will be addressing some posing issues i found in this first iteration, also, i ramped up the poly count, smoothed the overall appearance. Although I am quarantined and have some time to do it, i am running low on filaments and i got a nasty flu (thankfully it is not C19).