Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Shield-gating and where to go from here.

sanghije

On 2020-03-08 at 3:45 PM, sanghije said:

How shield-gating should be handled: 

• After breaking shields there is no invulnerability phase.
  • Damage should only bleed through shield gating when dealt with by a headshot.
  • Shield gating does not reactivate until shields are 100% recharged.
  • Abilities are still able to bypass shield gating/bleed over the damage. 

I'm super on-board with this. It seems like a fair compromise between preventing insta-gib madness in the old system and the immortal coward with the current system.

The HP invulnerability is more or less effective immortality unless the player fails to notice their shields broke or intends to press on with their attack anyway. I can't possibly see how high-mobility frames aren't just going to walk all over low-mobility frames since the low-mobility frame likely won't be able to chase fast enough to close out the kill after the invul period ends and before shields start regenerating. Similarly, veterans that have a good handle on the mobility system will never be killed in a duel with a newbie that doesn't know how to bullet jump/wall jump after the veteran. Chasing is much more difficult than running. To be fair, the veteran will usually beat the newbie no matter what the mechanics are but the HP invulnerability really benefits the player that knows the system better and can track their shields/hp while in a duel. I believe this HP invulnerability system can only exacerbate that skill gap. It just moves the frustration from "ugh, how did they kill me?" to "ugh, why can't I kill them?"

I do believe insta-gibs should be a thing but only on headshot seems fine to me. They were fairly rare before shieldgating, though. I think Zarr Barrage/SLB Daikyu were the only real contenders if you don't count the Tigris family duplex trigger as an insta-gib. Some snipers could one-shot on headshots with enough zoom but I just can't possibly see that being reliable enough to classify them as insta-gib weapons given how difficult it is to click heads in this mobility based game with (apparently) precisely defined hitboxes/headboxes. at least you can headshot most frames from behind unlike the damn grineer lmao

I will not repeat myself, instead i will post whatever i posted elsewhere, since i keep my decision about the shieldgate:

shieldgate thread:

Spoiler

Hotfix thread:

Spoiler

"Mainline 24-hours" thread:

Spoiler

Reminder: In 2 of those, once i say .3 seconds of shieldgate in conclave is enough, in other i beg for it's removal. I am strongly against keeping it in conclave, but if there was an only single option, that is option for it's tweak, i would go with .3 seconds as it is with partial shield restore gate

Edited by Neuroszima

On 2020-03-08 at 8:57 PM, Tachmag said:

This change would make every warframe take an extra shot from every single weapon in order to die. It would increase the ttk of Conclave by quite a bit, which is not what Conclave needs right now.

I disagree.  I think that's exactly what it needs.

• Like 3

It's been a blast playing with shield gating. My only complaint is that there needs to be better indication of it, so you can see when someone's invulnerable, preferably through some effect that covers the body, except for the head. Even on console, I'm finding the headshot bypass to be reasonably easy, although I heard that some people have issues with seeing people's heads.

2 hours ago, (PS4)Darth-Escar said:

It's been a blast playing with shield gating. My only complaint is that there needs to be better indication of it, so you can see when someone's invulnerable, preferably through some effect that covers the body, except for the head. Even on console, I'm finding the headshot bypass to be reasonably easy, although I heard that some people have issues with seeing people's heads.

Maybe something like a aggressive red pulsing highlight to indicate when shields get knocked out/invulnerable phase. More visible information and cues for players to recognize and make decisions on.

• Like 1