Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma's current state on the eidolon hunting meta and why Chroma needs a rework.

LOKOUBA

After doing a few test hunts of my own, I came up with the conclusion that Chroma is not capped to 4 hydrolysts at night, if he's lucky.

Last test run I did, Terry could not do damage to Chroma AT ALL, so I did not have Vex Armor buff until garry. Self damage removal pretty much disabled Chroma's ability to do 5x3+. Because taking damage is too unreliable to be able to use Vex Armor for what seemed to be it's most useful application.

This made Chroma one of the most obsolete Warframes in the game, a lot of players are already swapping their main DPS frame for 5x3+ and even more comfortable frames for more casual runs.

So now we have a Chroma that has a pretty mediocre kit as:

1.  Spectral Scream is a bad DPS skill, it is genuinely a mini ignis that drains energy and has like half of ignis' range
  2.  Elemental Ward is an alright skill for tanking but compared to frames like Inaros and even Valkyr, Chroma as a tank frame doesn't bring too much to the table.
  3.  Vex Armor was the reason Chroma was utilized in eidolon hunting and while the skill itself hasn't changed, Chromas cant consistently use it at it's max potential anymore because again, taking damage is not reliable. This damage multiplier will still be good for high level missions, but again, there are a lot of better DPS/tanky frames for these missions that are simply superior to Chroma.
  4.  Effigy is another bad DPS skill, compared to Saryn's spores and Miasma Effigy's lack of damage and range is laughable, effigy's only use in gameplay is credit farming with effigy's extra credit drop chance (which is only effective to players who can speed run Orb Vallis Profit Taker, otherwise Index is superior)

That's.. all this Warframe has to offer, and all of it is already outclassed by other options in game.

At a previous thread, I requested deliberate self damage to be re-enabled in game via a new mod or changes to Vex Armor's augment but I realized that was just me refusing to adapt to meta changes on eidolon hunting rather than me presenting the real issue: Chroma is too obsolete.

So, I believe he requires a rework, even if it doesn't put him back to the eidolon meta he should be useful for something without getting outclassed, no? Discuss.

Edited by LOKOUBA
  • Like 4

Chroma is a wretched bad warframe. Has been since day 1.

Had a moment in the sun with Eidolons... which still wasn't enough to make him likable or fun, imo. I think people just like the arcane hustle, so he got used. Aside from his Vex, he's a waste. 2 Channel abilities, and 2 durations you can't recast.. His kit is abysmal.

• Like 9

6 hours ago, LOKOUBA said:

I believe he requires a rework

Chroma required a rework the moment he was released in 2015, because he has 2 useless abilities and 2 egg timer abilities. He is nothing more than a weapon platform.

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, ShortCat said:

Chroma required a rework the moment he was released in 2015, because he has 2 useless abilities and 2 egg timer abilities. He is nothing more than a weapon platform.

I prefer to call him the MOA warframe. Just so it fits better with the game. Maybe Bursa is more appropriated.

10 hours ago, ShortCat said:

there is nothing wrong with weapon platforms. DE could have done a better job of it.

I'm glad i'm not the only one that has thought he has been complete trash since day one. 

His mechanics suck, and his passive has never been anything more than a gimmick that switched with the meta instead of preference. Self damage has only prevented many people from seeing how bad he always was, now revealing him as a con artist like the curtain falling away from the Wizard in the Emerald City. 

• Like 2

The only time I ever played chroma was for double credits at profit-taker. That came to 16x credits before smeeta buffs on the first thermia fracture event and double credit weekend. One of my most memorable weekends of warframe, had such a solid squad of randoms and we went all day.

12 hours ago, EinheriarJudith said:

there is nothing wrong with weapon platforms. DE could have done a better job of it.

Agree, weapon platforms are not inherently bad. I see Banshee as a weapon platform, but she is more engaging to play, because her damage buff requires input from the player and her survivability depends on a short stun, mobility and awareness. Chroma is boring but effective compared to her.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ShortCat said:

Agree, weapon platforms are not inherently bad. I see Banshee as a weapon platform, but she is more engaging to play, because her damage buff requires input from the player and her survivability depends on a short stun, mobility and awareness. Chroma is boring but effective compared to her.

wouldnt mind seeing elemental ward being broken up into 4 parts and given in the form of a mode change for his 1-4. ive come to be very tired of maintaining buffs truthfully.

On 2020-03-08 at 8:28 PM, kapn655321 said:

Chroma is a wretched bad warframe. Has been since day 1.

Had a moment in the sun with Eidolons... which still wasn't enough to make him likable or fun, imo. I think people just like the arcane hustle, so he got used. Aside from his Vex, he's a waste. 2 Channel abilities, and 2 durations you can't recast.. His kit is abysmal.

I mean, you can recast Vex whenever you like to maintain it and have been able to for at least a year now.

Which was dumb, he was funner to play when you actually had to manage the cycle of buffing back up after the ability wore off.

His 2 is the one that should have been made maintainable.

His 1 wouldn't be so bad if it worked like current beam-type weapons and its status chance scaled with power strength while its range scaled with 100% of range mods values.

His 4 would be better if it could apply status effects and had a more reasonable energy cost to maintain. Would also like to see it no longer nuke your defenses when deployed, though retaining the speed buff and having it apply to melee attacks as well would be a nice buff.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheGrimCorsair said:

I mean, you can recast Vex whenever you like to maintain it and have been able to for at least a year now.

Wait, what? ...How friggin long has it been since I've owned that frame? lol I indeed did not know that. Back when I tried Chroma, I remember sinking 7 forma into him desperately trying to figure out a way to make him both survivable and efficient enough to use (whatsoever.) I would love to have a coffee with the devs like Pablo or anyone that's on the team for Warframes, and just find out why things are the way they are sometimes. Like in this case, there are so many little details I may miss from the way I experience the game.

Anyways, thanks for the info there. ...and you bring up an interesting point. Vex had more challenge and appeal to you before it was renewable. What might be a good inbetween? Just dropping off like Link does serves to give you an arbitrary window of dying while recasting in high levels (which shield gate helps prevent now), and recasting it feels a bit dull. So what's the middle ground? Curious what we could innovate for that.