Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Tridolon AFKers?

Steel_Rook

Now, I'm generally not the kind of person to snob my team-mates for how good they are or how quickly they play. However, I've run into a persistent problem trying to do Tridolons on Public teams - players will not pick up or not deposit their Eidolon Shards into the altar to spawn the next Eidolon in the chain. Since Eidolon hunts are heavily time-gated by the Cetus day/night cycle (and because I suck, so it takes me all night for one Tridolon), people taking 5-10 minutes to insert their Shards can really trip up the hunt. Sometimes it's newer players who don't know how the system works (one one occasion, a pubby couldn't make the jump across the water to the altar), sometimes it's players who forget to pick up their Shards (I always drop a waypoint on those), sometimes it's just people asleep at the wheel who zone out and stop reading chat. I don't know - there are reasons.

Do you figure there's anything that can be done about this? And I'm not saying "let me kick them" or "remove their rewards." I mean, those ARE options but pretty heavy-handed ones. Do you guys figure there's anything that can be done to the system itself where summoning the next Eidolon isn't the make-or-break point in so many hunts and doesn't inspire so much bad blood. Realistically speaking, do we still need the Shard sacrifice in the first place? I understand that that was a thing back when Eidolons came out to give fighting them a cost, because "something something Dark Souls," but they already have a cost - the day/night cycle. Moreover, the Profit-Taker (Fortuna's counterpart to Cetus' Eidolons) doesn't have any such cost. You don't need to wager part of your reward to try that boss.

Do you figure it's time to get rid of the Eidolon Shard sacrifice for summoning the next Eidolon at this point? I would speed up the process as a single player can trigger the next spawn while the rest fly off looking for lures, it avoids the issue of new, inexperienced or AFK players completely sabotaging the entire run and it makes it less likely for veterans to pull their own Shards and bail. What do you think?

Imo heavy punishments will teach them good manners about coop actions faster.

A real anti afk system should be implemented removing anyone who went afk for over 3 minutes from the match. No matter the reason, if you joined, do your part and contribute. And to prevent automatic imputs in the game, dismiss those who are not helping with damage.

Just now, DarkSkysz said:

A real anti afk system should be implemented removing anyone who went afk for over 3 minutes from the match. No matter the reason, if you joined, do your part and contribute. And to prevent automatic imputs in the game, dismiss those who are not helping with damage.

The problem is that players who sabotage Tridolon hunts aren't always AFK. As I said - one time we had a player who simply could not make the jump across Gara Toht Lake to the altar. We tried talking him through it but he apparently sucked at bullet jumping and wouldn't go to a shorter distance. He didn't have an Archwing Launcher, I don't know that he had a K-Drive, we spent a lot of time trying to explain this worked to this player, to the point where other players started dropping and we ran out of daylight. In a lot of cases, we've had players who just don't pick up their Shards, like I said. On a number of occasions, people have had to go back and search for them. It's why I always waypoint them but that doesn't help. Oftentimes players don't know about the Altar so they have to be instructed over text chat... Which is great when players don't read chat. Just the other night, we had a player who came to the Altar, didn't put in his Shard and then... I don't know - fell asleep, had a stroke, got the S#&$s. For whatever reason, that person stopped responding to chat for a full five minutes, but they'd been active and helping before.

I'm not necessarily against penalties for actual AFK. I'm just wondering if the Altar interaction in Tridolon hunts really serves a legitimate gameplay purpose any more. It's a major source of issues without seemingly offering much in the way of actual design justification.

This was said many times about public matches, if you want a good run, you pretty much MUST form/join a group in recruit chat. Most public runs are total trash, eidolons, arbitrations, you name it.

But back to the main topic, yes, DE must do something about leeching. A vote kick system would most likely be one of the better solutions, but people are too sensitive to apprehend this system, and will start to cry how it will be "abused". Yet are completely fine, when they are being the ones abused by leeches.

Yes

Sacrificing a shard is pointless.  They are only worth 1200 rep anyway, it's not like DE will be breaking the bank letting us keep them.  In addition, they just added 11 more Arcanes to each set so throwing us a bone is just that, a bone with no meat on it.  

Kill the edilon and the next spawns without anymore interaction by players.  Why not?  

It is a stupid mechanic that only slows down play.  No one (ok a few) is doing bounties and decides, hey, let's kill an edilon.  Then the next one spawns, so what!

This would help both public and premade squads.  It's a good thing for players.  Although I'm not sure it would help against afk, maybe they would be more of a problem knowing they call Leach all 3.

Edited by Educated_Beast

1 hour ago, Educated_Beast said:

Sacrificing a shard is pointless.  They are only worth 1200 rep anyway, it's not like DE will be breaking the bank letting us keep them.  In addition, they just added 11 more Arcanes to each set so throwing us a bone is just that, a bone with no meat on it.

Kill the edilon and the next spawns without anymore interaction by players.  Why not?  It is a stupid mechanic that only slows down play.  No one (ok a few) is doing bounties and decides, hey, let's kill an edilon.  Then the next one spawns, so what!

I thought we were sacrificing the Eidolon Shards - the ones we can trade in for 35K Focus, and which drop only from captured but not killed Eidolons? The ones we trade for Standing at the Quills are Sentient Cores. Unless I miss my terminology, that is. That's besides the point, though. There's fairly little value in wagering our rewards just to progress through a bounty. In fact, I like your proposal more than mine. See, I was thinking of just letting one player interact with the altar and spawn the next Eidolon that way, but triggering the next Eidolon automatically might introduce at least a bit of a "searching" element. I had an argument the other day about automatically waypointing Eidolons with a person who believed searching for the Teralyst was a legitimate gameplay element. Well, if the rest of them spawn randomly around the map, I might just agree.

And yeah - what's the worst that can happen? People a Terralyst and spawn a bigger Eidolon. So what? Fight it if you want to, avoid it if you don't, exactly the same as with the Teralyst. In fact, the higher-level Eidolons don't seem as aggressive, so leaving them alone might be even easier. I too see this as a pointless mechanic which exists as little more than a de-facto "friendship door" which heavily time-gated events don't really need or benefit from.

1 hour ago, Educated_Beast said:

This would help both public and premade squads.  It's a good thing for players.  Although I'm not sure it would help against afk, maybe they would be more of a problem knowing they call Leach all 3.

Granted, though that's a somewhat separate issue. Warframe, as far as I'm aware, already has fallbacks to ward against AFK players, denying rewards and such. Presumably those systems work in Eidolon hunts, as well. However, consider the alternative. An AFK player right now will straight-up tank the entire encounter by not placing their Shard, roadblocking the entire team. Without the altar, yes, the AFK player might get more rewards (if the anti-AFK system doesn't catch them), but at least the rest of the team can finish the event for themselves.