Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How do you find/put together Builds?

Pienzor

Question

Hello everyone, returning player here from quite a long time ago, back when Archwing was still new. I did build some of the new stuff, have acquired some of the new mods.

I've made my way through main-quests and have just finished "The Sacrifice" using Saryn & Soma Prime mainly, using a build I found on overframe which kinda worked but I'm starting to have trouble (against lvl 40+ enemies especially). I'm a bit resourced starved as well, with hardly any forma/orokin reactors/etc left, which makes it hard to properly "test/try out" new stuff it seems.

How do I "progress" from here? How do I decide if a weapon is "worth using" and spending resources/forma on? How do I find out about proper builds? There's several pages with builds, but most of them seem rather... weird with comments talking about major flaws in the builds, while they are still the "most upvoted/popular" builds.

Thanks!

18 answers to this question

Generally you'd have somewhat of an idea what you want. Like a melee weapon that kills things and heals you, or something with massive damage against status immune enemies, or a weapon with rapid fire and many status effects to efficiently dispatch fodder.

Then you consider the options, for said melee weapon the options would be either something good at heavy attacks with Life Strike, or a very fast weapon with high status for Healing Return. If there are multiple valid options narrow down further by preference.

Lastly fine tuning, slap on some mods, see what works and what doesn't. Might take a while.

• Like 2

YouTube is your friend for builds most of the times. There are many build videos on pretty much every weapon and frame courtesy of the Warframe Community, partners, and a lot of warframe related channels.

To decide if a weapon is worth using, well, that decision is entirely up to you. with all of the changes so far, and most recently, changes to armor and shields, every weapon is worth trying out, it comes down to what you like the most. (except the regular Kraken, that thing is still bad)

You can gather the knowledge from build videos, and then, you can either replicate the build, or make your own since the video will provide you with the base.

• Like 1

This is a bit hard to answer since it varies from weapon to weapon, faction to faction and person to person. But a lot of builds have what people call "mandatory mods".
These type of mods make up the vast majority of weapon builds. Its your +damage, +multishot, +crit chance, +crit damage mods followed up by some status combination that works for the faction you are planning to fight against. This generally already takes up 6/8 (9 with weapon exilus) of your mod slots, which you can put some firerate/attack speed or whatever else you want honestly. If the weapon you want to try out has decent crit and low status, use crit mods. If it has decent status but low crit, use status. If it has both crit and status, a hybrid build.

This is very in general for making builds in warframe, if you want more specific builds you can check out youtube for specific weapon builds, but they'll mostly be very similar to what i have just said.

As for potatoes and other resources, that you kinda have to get on your own. Potatoes you either wait for dev streams for their alerts or other random alerts or start farming plat to buy with plat, most people just buy them with plat.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Yakhul said:

YouTube is your friend for builds most of the times. There are many build videos on pretty much every weapon and frame courtesy of the Warframe Community, partners, and a lot of warframe related channels.

To decide if a weapon is worth using, well, that decision is entirely up to you. with all of the changes so far, and most recently, changes to armor and shields, every weapon is worth trying out, it comes down to what you like the most. (except the regular Kraken, that thing is still bad)

You can gather the knowledge from build videos, and then, you can either replicate the build, or make your own since the video will provide you with the base.

Any certain youtubers you'd recommend to check out?

2 minutes ago, Datursa said:

As for potatoes and other resources, that you kinda have to get on your own. Potatoes you either wait for dev streams for their alerts or other random alerts or start farming plat to buy with plat, most people just buy them with plat.

I'm fine with farming them, I just don't want to "waste" them on weapons that aren't good or ones that I don't really enjoy playing - like, I've seen the Scourge which seems to be a good weapon, but it felt really weird playing and the damage wasn't great either (but then again, maybe it'd just need some optimization, formas, etc. to "feel good")...

Scourge is a weapon I don’t like since the last patch. Not due to what you mention. But due to the aoe/self damage change. Some weapons that didn’t have self damage but did have aoe bullets now flinch you if the projectile hits close to you. Scourge is one of them. That change ruined astilla  for me, nothing like a forced roll after every shot. At least scourge is just a flinch and not a roll. 

12 minutes ago, Datursa said:

Don't forget, you can also buy potatoes from Nightwave shop now.

I would say to just get any weapon, get it to level 30, see if you like it, maybe do some quick research to see if its good. Generally most newer weapons are the 'meta', a lot of older weapons have long been forgotten and not really viable anymore or vastly outperformed by the newer weapons.

Since the melee rework, most prime melee weapons are very good. My personal favorites are nami skyla prime, nikana prime and kronen prime. Nikana prime is probably the best melee weapon for most people. As for primaries its a bit more complicated because there are so many but generally the newer they are, they are probably the most worth using resources on. Acceltra, fulmin, rubico prime, tiberon prime, opticor vandal, kuva weapons etc etc.

22 minutes ago, Pienzor said:

I'm fine with farming them, I just don't want to "waste" them on weapons that aren't good or ones that I don't really enjoy playing - like, I've seen the Scourge which seems to be a good weapon, but it felt really weird playing and the damage wasn't great either (but then again, maybe it'd just need some optimization, formas, etc. to "feel good")...

Tactical Potato, AGayGuyPlays, Grindhard Squad. There are more out there, but that's a few of them.

26 minutes ago, Pienzor said:

Any Warframe Youtuber would do to be honest, but LeyzarGamingViews always have weapon builds with an approach towards new players, he does know how to explain well how the weapon works before getting into the modding section.

Next, if you are not really into min maxing and want just something cheap and comfortable to play with, MCGamerCZ can give you some fun and comfortable builds that also perform well.

GrindHardSquad would be where i would send people that are interested in the best of the best, the most suited build for the right job.

Also, like others are saying, rank up every weapon to 30, but my word of advice, would be to not instantly get rid of them once you get em to rank 30. Spend some time in the market to see what you can sell to buy weapon and warframe slots. There are this things called Rivens, that basically boost any weapon performance through the roof, well, not just any weapon, you will soon learn how rivens weapon disposition work.

Edited by Yakhul
  • Like 4

29 minutes ago, Pienzor said:

LeyzarGamingViews is my personal recommendation. He does build guilds for both new players (cheap-o builds that can take on level 120 enemies) as well as an "endgame" setup, with a riven.

EDIT: Mind you, since the status changes some builds are a bit out-dated. but are still for the most part, holds relevance. He is redoing the build guides atm. His older ones still fares quite well

Edited by Aadi880
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Pienzor said:

How do I "progress" from here? How do I decide if a weapon is "worth using" and spending resources/forma on? How do I find out about proper builds?

First I'd have to say is that you are going nowhere copying other people build, specially youtubers, people that keep watching them are the same ones that cry about Railjack troopers been too tank or claim that a Lvl 5 rank Lich is difficult.

If you have like 0 knowledge, yeah, go for it. But after you grab the basics (which is what most build are, basic, generic, same builds over and over again). You develop your own build with Wikia info, not saying to trust 100% on wikia too, some basic maths and tests.

If you don't mind putting the time into it, I'd suggest learning about the game's damage mechanics by just browsing the wiki at your own pace. Once you have a general idea of the mechanics that come up frequently (e.g. how modded weapon damage is calculated, how certain elements interaction with armor, armor-mitigation methods, armor-ignoring methods, headcrit bonuses, melee stealth bonuses, etc), it'll become easier to just make a build on your own, since you know what you want better than anyone. Being able to handpick weapons/builds that synergize with the rest of your loadout is a very nice skill to have in this game.

If you want to know more about how a specific weapon functions ingame (not just what its stats are), I find that Leyzar's videos are always nice for this. His videos always showcase the unmodded mechanics of the weapon before getting into the actual builds, and the fact that his weapon videos all follow the exact same structure (intro -> mechanics -> budget build -> advanced/endgame builds) makes it very easy to just skip to the part that you're interested in. Which is HELLA nice, considering that many other youtubers often just talk over 5-10mins of gameplay footage despite the viewer only needing like ~30sec worth of information.

For building tools, I'd recommend sticking with overframe over warframe-builder, if only because overframe is updated much more frequently and provides interesting information in the build UI (e.g. total endo cost of the build). Not to mention that warframe-builder still hasn't added support for zaws/kitguns/arcanes, which I think is kinda laughable at this point.

Edited by SortaRandom

1 minute ago, Pienzor said:

Thank you all for your answers and tips. I'll check out some youtubers, and try learning about damage mechanics in general.

I wouldn't even bother with the youtubers.

Seriously, how are they going to know what feels right to you? You may get an impression of a frame that is wildly off from your experience as a result.. not to mention, there's nothing left to explore when you just look up the so-called optimized builds, and assume them as word of law.

a frame ability can scale with range duration str efficiency

read what your frame abilities does and which stats the ability scales with

you do that

then think of the qol your frame may need

see if can fit the build without ruining abilities

like most saryns go for 280 range i find that not necessary so  i have the exilus slot with a mod to make my bullet jump faster instead of the mod that gives 15 range and better sliding. yeah the room get nuked anyway

also to have every spore do a corr proc you need at least 200 strength i went with a bit less to use vitality + adaptation. saryn is more resilient and the room is nuked anyways

about guns

soma prime is crap, got powercreeped to the shadow realm but you should be able to eat lvl 40 enemies with 0 issues

your general build for any primary with decent status chance and crit: serration, split chamber, point strike, vital sense, 2 elemental mods, armaments/more elemental damage/bladed rounds/hunter munition, and whatever

on a soma you go serr split chamber point strike vital sense malignant force rime rounds hunter munition shred or heavy caliber

serration split chamber is mandatory obligatory on every weapon

there are people in jail right now because they refused to use serration on their tiberon p

crit mods on anything that can at least reach 50% crit then depends on the weapon, 50% crit on assault rifle = decent, 50%crit on single shot weapon = poo

elemental mods are mandatory at least 2 of em

never use impact, puncture, slash mods. there are 2 maybe 3 primaries when you can use the 90% slash mod

status shotguns are pretty much trash so if you need one for sortie get a vaykor hek or a corinth, exergis probably the only status shotgun that survived the nerfhammer. rest in pizza my beloved twin rogga. if you dont like any shottie you can get mk1 strun for 15k cred and use a frame with exalted weapons such as mesa, ivara, xcal

again read carefully stats and see if you can put a mod to enhance a stat and consider if enhancing that stat will give you an actual benefit. one example

loki benefits a lot from duration. he have 3 abilities that scales with duration 1 of them is the main defensive tool of loki which is invisibility.

so you stuff all the duration you want but loki has also an ability that disarm enemies around him. this ability is its 4th ability and scales with range there is a mod that gives a S#&$load of duration but reduces range(narrow minded)... so maybe you dont want to use it but there is a mod that gives a S#&$load of range at the cost of strength(overextend), now which loki abilty scales with strength...and the answer is not even one, so you slot both of those mods, then you slot in stretch and augur reach to have 75% more range, and primed continuity for 55% more  now you have nearly 200 range which is good for your 4th ability you can disarm a lot of people and still have a lot of duration for your invisibility after slotting a lot of duration and range you can decide what you want, loki 4th ability have a long ass cast time and there is a mod that shorten the cast time called natural talent which is gonna make all abilities faster, then you want more energy pool you can use primed flow, maybe you want more efficiency you use efficiency mods if you want to have really cheap abilities you can slot in fleeting expertise but keep in mind that fleeting reduces duration by 60% at max rank. most advanced players have some fleeting expertise with 1 or 2 rank from the top to gain efficiency without taking a big hit on their duration. also loki has a bunch of augments for his abilities, one of them is called irradiating disarm, this mod enhances your 4th ability in a way thats enemies get disarmed and then they start slapping each others for a duration of time and also this duration scales with the modded duration

his first ability scales both with range duration, teleport scales with duration. you can place a clone far away and then switch teleport to it. do not use switch teleport on a teammate unless you want to get yelled at

look at how much S#&$ i wrote lol

just read what your frame does and what mods make its abilities stronger

read wiki to have more detailed information about your frame abilities