Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Limited Time Items

Mavelock

I've been hugely invested into the fashion side of Warframe. It's not quite my endgame, but it enhances my playing experience and I love to piece together a unique look that turns a few heads.

I noticed somewhat of an excitement when I saw someone wielding Pennant in-game. (I know, it's still attainable), but it's frankly quite rare, and you have to have progressed pretty far along in the game to get access to it. It made me realize how desirable things that are hard to attain are, and even more so, things that are hard to attain and no longer available.

One thing I've noticed is there are essentially no limited edition items (with the exception of Excalibur Prime, Tennocon items, and a few emblems). There are no armor pieces, syandanas, or helmets that symbolize your commitment during an exclusive past event, and it bums me out. I was hoping to see this through Nightwave, and I would've loved to have been able to flex my Saturn Six armor to a player a few years down the line, but it's just a commendation for pouring a few too many hours into grinding.

I get it. It can suck not getting something and feeling like you missed out because RNGesus wasn't in your favor, but I don't think that warrants the sort of all-inclusive mentality that Warframe pushes for. It would be awesome if there were items that were sprinkled throughout the game that are notably rare and only attainable for a period of time. Items that maybe only a few hundred players get.

In a game with a sea of items that are just as likely to make you look badass, there needs to be items that you can proudly flaunt. I want to make people jealous (and even get jealous myself).

Edited by Mavelock
I totally forgot to include Tennocon items and other trinkets of accomplishment!
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Mavelock said:

I've been hugely invested into the fashion side of Warframe. It's not quite my endgame, but it enhances my playing experience and I love to piece together a unique look that turns a few heads.

I noticed somewhat of an excitement when I saw someone wielding Pennant in-game. (I know, it's still attainable), but it's frankly quite rare, and you have to have progressed pretty far along in the game to get access to it. It made me realize how desirable things that are hard to attain are, and even more so, things that are hard to attain and no longer available.

One thing I've noticed is there are essentially no limited edition items (with the exception of Excalibur Prime and his weapon kit). There are no armor pieces, syandanas, or helmets that symbolize your commitment during an exclusive past event, and it bums me out. I was hoping to see this through Nightwave, and I would've loved to have been able to flex my Saturn Six armor to a player a few years down the line, but it's just a commendation for pouring a few too many hours into grinding.

I get it. It can suck not getting something and feeling like you missed out because RNGesus wasn't in your favor, but I don't think that warrants the sort of all-inclusive mentality that Warframe pushes for. It would be awesome if there were items that were sprinkled throughout the game that are notably rare and only attainable for a period of time. Items that maybe only a few hundred players get.

In a game with a sea of items that are just as likely to make you look badass, there needs to be items that you can proudly flaunt. I want to make people jealous (and even get jealous myself).

With the nightwave items they really should have just not returned until maybe a year later.

• Like 2

There are actually plenty of past cosmetics that are both cool and exclusive. All TennoCon cosmetics for example, all TennoLive and TennoVIP sigils, Tethra's Doom Quantum Emblem, Gold Skull Kill Event Emblem (only a few people have this), and more exist as cool items no longer obtainable to the majority of players.

• Like 4

8 minutes ago, Voltage said:

There are actually plenty of past cosmetics that are both cool and exclusive. All TennoCon cosmetics for example, all TennoLive and TennoVIP sigils, Tethra's Doom Quantum Emblem, Gold Skull Kill Event Emblem (only a few people have this), and more exist as cool items no longer obtainable to the majority of players.

I have no idea how TennoCon cosmetics slipped my mind! Absolutely. Alongside those other exclusives, they definitely have that impact & uniqueness that I love, but I don't think there are enough (and frankly, emblems on your shoulder are hardly noticed). Exclusives shouldn't stop there, though they were definitely good additions.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)AMONGTHEWEAK said:

DE knows players want these items, and will gladly open them back up to the public after some time in hopes to churn some more cash from players. There are very few legacy items as explained in previous posts. I was the same way, until I realized there was no point. 

Trinkets and armor pieces awarded for commitment don't need to be monetized.

Trinkets and armor pieces awarded for commitment don't need to be monetized.

Oh yea for the items like the saturn armor and what not ofc, they're not monetized, but they will still more than likely bring those items back as a means to churn the player base to keep people playing who may not have acquired the items from past events.  

Every time a player wants a specific aesthetic and can't get it, they just feel like what they have is a second rate.. which harms their financial and emotional investment in the items and game when there's no sure way to get to it that night or that week when it matters. That undermines how invested they feel they want to be a year later, at the time.

There's also an appeal to having exclusive stuff.. but the result is more often new players feeling excluded, rather than you paying off as the proud gate-keeper paragon of fashion. Do they as a company, monetize and communicate to new players that they're welcome, or prop up people who've already paid everything they need to pay? Which one is more sustainable, with less repercussion?

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Every time a player wants a specific aesthetic and can't get it, they just feel like what they have is a second rate.. which harms their financial and emotional investment in the items and game when there's no sure way to get to it that night or that week when it matters. That undermines how invested they feel they want to be a year later, at the time.

There's also an appeal to having exclusive stuff.. but the result is more often new players feeling excluded, rather than you paying off as the proud gate-keeper paragon of fashion. Do they as a company, monetize and communicate to new players that they're welcome, or prop up people who've already paid everything they need to pay? Which one is more sustainable, with less repercussion?

I certainly realize there would be negative connotations to this implementation. I'm not suggesting that every other item is exclusive, though. Being rewarded for participating (and participating well) in a limited time event, or maybe getting a lucky roll with RNG shouldn't be an end-all scenario. Out of hundreds of items, a spontaneous influx of small, unique items could easily be a welcome addition. Even if you miss out on a certain item, you can maybe achieve the next one.

4 minutes ago, Mavelock said:

I certainly realize there would be negative connotations to this implementation. I'm not suggesting that every other item is exclusive, though. Being rewarded for participating (and participating well) in a limited time event, or maybe getting a lucky roll with RNG shouldn't be an end-all scenario. Out of hundreds of items, a spontaneous influx of small, unique items could easily be a welcome addition. Even if you miss out on a certain item, you can maybe achieve the next one.

I would assume they're balancing it as well as they can, considering limited exclusives may have proven not to make back the cost of creating and animating them.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Mavelock said:

I would've loved to have been able to flex my Saturn Six armor to a player a few years down the line

this arrogance is exactly why I hate limited-time and exclusive items.

55 minutes ago, Mavelock said:

It would be awesome if there were items that were sprinkled throughout the game that are notably rare and only attainable for a period of time. Items that maybe only a few hundred players get.

terrible idea. absolutely terrible. Games should be inclusive, not exclusive.

56 minutes ago, Mavelock said:

I want to make people jealous (and even get jealous myself).

This is a horrible attitude to have.

Just look at the consistent flow of salt surrounding Excal Prime even though DE cannot legally make him available again. Exclusivity only alienates players. DE is doing well to avoid it.

• Like 8

ITT: That guy. Companies catering to people like the OP is what brought upon us an era of FOMO-driven live service game design. If your enjoyment of a game is only complete when you can satisfy some German Missgunst, then you frankly do not deserve the very things that you wish to deny others from having.

Edited by Mephane
  • Like 6

20 minutes ago, Corvid said:

Perhaps that should tell you something.

It certainly does. It does surprise me that people are so against this, though. Nightwave especially. For so many games that pursue battle passes and various other limited time exclusives (and for there to be very little opposition) I don’t think it would be in anyway game (or community) breaking.

27 minutes ago, Mavelock said:

For so many games that pursue battle passes and various other limited time exclusives (and for there to be very little opposition) I don’t think it would be in anyway game (or community) breaking.

Battle passes are a scam. To even cite them as a positive example is ludicrous.

• Like 1

As someone who plays a lot, and would easily get all "time limited exclusive items," I never want to see anything exclusive in this game other than the three things that DE can never bring back, namely the Founder items of Excal Prime, Lato Prime, and Skana Prime.  I would indeed want those to be available again if at all possible, but there are legal issues preventing that to my understanding, and if I am okay with anyone getting to have something unique that no one else can have, then it's the people who made the game viable back when it wasn't my cup of tea.

Beyond Founders, and really ONLY Founders, I am happy to see less exclusivity in this game.  Exclusivity alienates people, and it's already hard enough to get friends to pick up a game that's this much of a time investment starting out.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Mavelock said:

So, it seems I'm getting absolutely demolished for this idea.

You personally are not being demolished.. The idea isn't even demolished.. There are exclusive items, already. ..they just don't happen to fit as well in this game and studio as they do in others.

I'll give you an example.. What is the best thing about Exclusivity? It means you're in a class apart from anyone else. ..it plays into a superiority over other players. That works for a PVP game, because the gameplay and appeal is generated by lording your experience over others. That does not work the same in a cooperative game. Those divisive features aren't challenging one another to be the top of the pile like they would when opposing players and creating competition. There is no competition, thus they only serve to flaunt privilege over your peers, not competition. To the players who cannot obtain them, it feels like favoritism and smugness, both from players and the devs.

Though, I'll meet you half way with a concept I had to make PvP more robust, and allow for these sorts of things to have a place Within the PvE world.

• Lunaro be split into competing teams with leagues. Fortuna, Cetus, and Relays all get a team.. matches players are in put up points for their team's leaderboard.
  • Ranking up in league, winning a game that overtakes another team.. all these factors could give you aesthetics exclusive to those hub teams.
  • Not only can you be the best at Lunaro, but the best in your league, and/or the best in a hub. 
  • Get aesthetics like sponsorships similar to syndicates, that can level up your earnings for playing.
  • Let real players spectate games like we do in Dojo sparring. At any time in a hub, walk up to an NPC, and sign up to play or sit in the stands to watch and cheer.
  • Winning team points updated in real time on leaderboards that are shared in all instances of hubs.
  • When a team overtakes another (Cetus surpasses Fortuna on leaderboards for best hub, or whichever,) the players responsible for the win have their name on the boards.. replaced when another hub overtakes again.
  • Back room betting like, "Saltybets," with points that don't matter.
  • Team and seasonal hub logos made like Tennogen or Clan icons, so DE can profit and we can customize.

Sport can and should be both a social aspect, and a competitive one. For social, there needs to be a way to prop one another up positively and equally, and for competitive, there needs to be a way to tear eachother down. So you can have both by being a fan of a hub or player, or being a player in the games.

Edited by kapn655321
  • Like 2

17 minutes ago, GunRaptor9000 said:

As someone who plays a lot, and would easily get all "time limited exclusive items"

I think my point was missed. I'm probably shooting myself in the leg if this is received even more poorly, but I was more so implying that items would be exclusive even in the community of people who do play a lot. Competitively awarded items (through a PvE setting). Top 100 sort of deal. There's pride in that, but it's certainly not toxic. I'm not suggesting an environment where things are obnoxiously hard to get (RNG) stacked with being time-exclusive.

22 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

Though, I'll meet you half way with a concept I had to make PvP more robust, and allow for these sorts of things to have a place Within the PvE world.

I appreciate the positivity. My goal in sharing this wasn't to promote a exclusive community. Far from it. I've actually discussed with several friends the list you created (and I am and have been very much for it). Referring to my comment above, I would love to see that sort of competitiveness be rewarded -- and yes, boosters are probably the way to go, but without veering too far off topic: even being rewarded an exclusive trinket for your ranking would be neat. It doesn't need to be overly flashy, but more so a "hey, look! I put work into this." Ranking rewards aside, I suppose my mistake is trying to implement the Willy Wonka golden ticket mentality into a video game -- so, definitely a no to the RNG factor.

• Like 1

more so a "hey, look! I put work into this.

That is certainly a draw to a considerable portion of the playerbase.. the question is just how to implement it in a way that makes players say, "Hey! Good work, congrats," rather than, "Oh they think they're soooo special... DE is missing out not letting me buy that."

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, kapn655321 said:

That is certainly a draw to a considerable portion of the playerbase.. the question is just how to implement it in a way that makes players say, "Hey! Good work, congrats," rather than, "Oh they think they're soooo special... DE is missing out not letting me buy that."

Very much agreed -- this was the feedback I was more so aiming for! I should work on articulating myself better haha. 🙂

• Like 1

Just now, Mavelock said:

Very much agreed -- this was the feedback I was more so aiming for! I should work on articulating myself better haha. 🙂

That's why we bring these ideas to the forum; even when they're challenged, you can learn why. Most often, there's some innovative compromise that risks nothing on either side of the aisle.

• Like 1