Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Enemy AI Rework

weeaboopotato

Honestly the enemy AI is quite clever, enemies throw grenades, hide behind cover and rush to trip alarms. However THIS ISN'T A COVER SHOOTER. Hiding behind cover is useless in a game like warframe. So here are my suggestions.

Elite Units

-Elite units in warframe seem to be just a slightly more tankier trash mob nowadays and they are even harder to distinct from one another. My suggestions is that elite units become more mobile or use extra mechanics to defend themselves like extra abilities. For example Grineer Gunners they should try kiting you as in they start strafing back as they focus you down with their gun; Bombards when they see you getting too close to them they smoke themselves or use what is known as a rocket jump to move out of harms way; The Corpus Tech using an energy shield or what is known as a hardlight shield the moment you try to melee strike them that sort of stuff. Give them elemental shields for all I care which significantly reduces th damage dealt to them that is not of the matching element type. This way it'll make the elite units feel more elite. The elite units need to feel elite rather than just another bullet sponge.

Support Units

-Shield ospreys, Nullifiers, Ancient Healers and the units that can create a frost globe around them fit into this category. What I want to see improved from their ai is that they'll actually try to protect their allies. For example the nullifiers running infront of their comrade and instantly send out a nullifier bubble to fvcc your day. Support units need to be more supportive to their comrads to make enemies even more of a *@##$ to kill. In that way it wont be warframe's bullshrimp armor scaling being the problem but now you failing to take care of those units before attacking the others. 

Sniper Units

-Make it so sniper units like the grineer ballistics and other units alike actually try to keep their distance. If they see you approaching they try to retreat to a further and safer position. This will make sniper units feel like actual snipers rather than just a backline trash mob.

And finally...

Trash mobs

-Trash mobs are honestly fine as is. They're trash mobs, they're meant to be killed. Trash mobs are just there to fill in the room and make the game more satisfying. In fact now that i think about it we should just make trash mobs even dumber. Maybe even make the elite units face palm at them from time to time. 

These ai changes will make enemies harder to kill not because of bullcrap armor scaling but because of them outsmarting you and that will be all for the ai rework suggestion. Although id also wish to rework enemy projectiles to be more slower and dodgeable but deal more damage.

• Like 2

42 minutes ago, weeaboopotato said:

Hiding behind cover is useless in a game like warframe

Not really but i think i know what you're trying to say. It *can* make enemies hard to get to with cover, especially *if* we had a powerful and accurate sniper from a distance. But most of the time its useless.

My suggestions is that elite units become more mobile or use extra mechanics to defend themselves like extra abilities. 

I seldomly agree. I think they need more High damaging attacks that are FAIR to dodge over more mobil abilities. Like a hitscan weapon with 100% accuracy, instantly killing my warframe the moment i run out of cover at all times, BIG No!!! UNFAIR

A heavy gunner being marked by an icon with a 3-4 second timer before the gunner unleashes a rain of bullets for 5 seconds that can down a warframe in 1 second, AND there is cover nearby? thats *More* FAIR (not completely cause we get attacked from all angles meaning at some point cover is useless and youre forced to die) and can be made to be difficult, depending on how long it took the player to react. Speaking from experience with playing games like Dauntless and Devil May Cry. Using players reaction times before delivering a deadly dose of damage is wonderful creating difficulty verses making them mash bullet jump button carelessly 24/7 to stay alive (Opinion again but id like to know who all agrees?)

Support units need to be more supportive to their comrads to make enemies even more of a *@##$ to kill. In that way it wont be warframe's bullshrimp armor scaling being the problem but now you failing to take care of those units before attacking the others. 

This i agree with but

After playing "Arbitration" the frequency of such support drones need to be limited. They can be fun, but when they spawn in like every second i get annoyed lol

Though arbitration is the funnest mission type in the game right now if you ask me. 

The rest of your post im 100% okay with

Edited by (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII

12 hours ago, weeaboopotato said:

You didnt exactly specify which part pf the post you werent okay with since you worded it as if you were okay with what you pointed out

Im using "Okay" as an adverb, talking about my satisfaction. 

First quote and my response to it, was me pointing out that i wasnt sure about what you were saying so it disrupted my satisfaction with the post. It wasnt clear as you just called it "useless" which isnt true. Its still a mechanic that should be used in game in some way, given my sniper example.

Second quote i disagreed with you about more mobile units, also dirupting satisfaction.

Third quote i wasnt sure if the frequency of enemy spawning had been thought about in what you were saying, so i brought it up as i felt it was important to add. Which also means it was messing with my satisfaction of the post

Then finally, the rest of your post causes me no dissatisfaction as everything was said in a way that i think is good enough. I have no questions, uncertainties, or feelings that more factors should be considered for the last things talked about in your post (a few requirements for satisfaction). Thus im okay with them

On 2020-03-13 at 10:46 PM, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Im using "Okay" as an adverb, talking about my satisfaction. 

First quote and my response to it, was me pointing out that i wasnt sure about what you were saying so it disrupted my satisfaction with the post. It wasnt clear as you just called it "useless" which isnt true. Its still a mechanic that should be used in game in some way, given my sniper example.

Second quote i disagreed with you about more mobile units, also dirupting satisfaction.

Third quote i wasnt sure if the frequency of enemy spawning had been thought about in what you were saying, so i brought it up as i felt it was important to add. Which also means it was messing with my satisfaction of the post

Then finally, the rest of your post causes me no dissatisfaction as everything was said in a way that i think is good enough. I have no questions, uncertainties, or feelings that more factors should be considered for the last things talked about in your post (a few requirements for satisfaction). Thus im okay with them

Oh. Btw the reason why i wanted units to be more mobile as in they dodge or move as fast as you. Since currently warframe doesn't really take skill to play other than knowing how to mod. So the incentive was what if you had to actually aim in warframe. Thus warframe would need more mechanical skill than usual. For the using cover being useless. It kind of is at this point due to all the frames that bypass walls with their aoe abilities and aoe weapons saying #*!%s all to walls. For your third suggestions its more of the satisfaction people get from demolishing a hoarde. Currently the hoards dont really come unless youre with a squad and well honestly numbers of enemies dont really matter anymore in a game where almost everything can slaughter groups of enemies however it adds in more to the power fantasy feel. But other than that its not really an ai change now that i think about it.

1 hour ago, weeaboopotato said:

Oh. Btw the reason why i wanted units to be more mobile as in they dodge or move as fast as you. Since currently warframe doesn't really take skill to play other than knowing how to mod. So the incentive was what if you had to actually aim in warframe. Thus warframe would need more mechanical skill than usual

i still feel like this would soon become just as boring as bullet sponge. I think we need more enemies bringing fear of death to the game rather than taking more of your ammo to put them down. Game is too grindy for that

For the using cover being useless. It kind of is at this point due to all the frames that bypass walls with their aoe abilities and aoe weapons saying #*!%s all to walls

Yea i know, that wasnt my point

honestly numbers of enemies dont really matter anymore in a game where almost everything can slaughter groups of enemies however it adds in more to the power fantasy feel.

And resources, lets not forget resources

But other than that its not really an ai change now that i think about it

I didnt present it as an AI change, i presented as an obstacle for AI change