Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Fake choice on single login rewards, wasted boosters

XorUnison

Whenever the daily login reward has multiple choices, you also really get to make the choice yourself of what to take, and more importantly when. If there's a good booster in there but it's not a good time to activate it, you can close the game, come back later, grab it and play. So far so good, like it should be.

Whenever the daily login has a single choice though, whatever it is actually gets instantly credited to your account, and you clicking on the reward is just a fake front. Sometimes that single "choice" is a booster. And since the login time is fixed, while peoples daily schedules are not, depending on your schedule it might be at the end of your day and playing time, or before work or other mandatory stuff. So the game might effectively put you in front of the choice between sleeping while your booster time wastes away, or playing while your sleep time wastes away. Either way it leaves a nastily bitter aftertaste and turns what would be a nice login reward into just plain griefing the player.

The solution is really fairly simple. Make single login rewards a proper choice too. If now isn't a good time to credit that 6h booster to my account, then let me back out of the game so I still have it later when I can play in peace, instead of forcefully triggering it. Or make the login boosters consumables. Or have single choices only be with resources so it doesn't matter in this way in the first place. Or make login boosters a different, (then possibly shorter) type that only ticks down its time while playing. There's a bunch of ways to do this better.

Just not "here's a booster, right now, so you better be having time to play, right now".

• Like 6

5 minutes ago, XorUnison said:

The solution is really fairly simple. Make single login rewards a proper choice too. If now isn't a good time to credit that 6h booster to my account, then let me back out of the game so I still have it later when I can play in peace, instead of forcefully triggering it.

You need to login for more days. I get 40+ hour boosters. This feature would be fairly useless to me, and quite possibly many other people. If you want to use a booster just buy it. DE needs to encourage people to spend some money in their game, making it really easy to use your low duration booster for a beneficial period isn't exactly beneficial to DE. 

• Why are you loging in to 'play' a game when you know full well you have to leave soon for mandatory things? Yes, DE could change their system. But isn't it far easier for you just to login when you are ready to play the game?
  • Like 7

3 hours ago, Berzerkules said:

Daily rewards are always at the same time. If you know You are not going to be able to play for long after that time it might be a good idea to log off right before then. Not really a fix but might be your only option.

No, not a fix at all. When daily reset happens about 3 hours before I usually go to bed (given my time zone and sleep schedule), there's no good solution there. Go to bed early and just cut my day short, or waste a booster? Neither is a good option. And yes, I know I could just go to my Dojo and run missions from there, but that's also not a good solution. Frankly, just send the boosters to us in an e-mail that expires in 24 hours. That way I can get a booster tonight, but trip it tomorrow morning when I'll have time to play.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-13 at 7:33 AM, krc473 said:

You need to login for more days. I get 40+ hour boosters. This feature would be fairly useless to me, and quite possibly many other people. If you want to use a booster just buy it. DE needs to encourage people to spend some money in their game, making it really easy to use your low duration booster for a beneficial period isn't exactly beneficial to DE. 

• Why are you loging in to 'play' a game when you know full well you have to leave soon for mandatory things? Yes, DE could change their system. But isn't it far easier for you just to login when you are ready to play the game?

1. That'd be many, many, many more days then it seems, and along with that of course many more months. If it's affecting everyone that didn't play the game for a year or longer that's not exactly a few players. Also annoying players with griefing gifts definitely does not raise the average players willingness of buying platinum. I sure as hell know that stuff like this wants me to shut my wallet very tightly.

2. The "login" bonus happens not just when you login, but also the next time you enter your orbiter (and maybe some other triggers). Like after a mission. Or in other words I could've been playing for 23h already for all the game cares, but if it's login bonus time then I get the "login" bonus even if my actual login was literally yesterday. As Steel_Rook now correctly said, that means if you have a few hours before to play before the login bonus, and only like 1 or 2 afterwards you really can only cut your playing time short or risk wasting a booster. Since rewards, baring milestones, are random you don't even have that path.

So the only things you can do are stop playing before the daily tribute, or risk it, which isn't really a useful choice. Buying a booster to add the time obviously doesn't add up either.

Sending the boosters in an expiring e-mail would be just fine.

Edited by XorUnison
  • Like 1

32 minutes ago, XorUnison said:

Also annoying players with griefing gifts definitely does not raise the average players willingness of buying platinum. I sure as hell know that stuff like this wants me to shut my wallet very tightly.

And who said you had to buy platinum? You can sell a few things and buy whatever booster you want. Someone has spent the money already.

34 minutes ago, XorUnison said:

As Steel_Rook now correctly said, that means if you have a few hours before to play before the login bonus, and only like 1 or 2 afterwards you really can only cut your playing time short or risk wasting a booster.

It is easy to stop playing before the daily reset. Personally, I don’t see the issue with stopping playing a little earlier to ensure you keep the booster. No one is forcing you to play for that last ‘short amount of time’.

Yeah, and I got myself a booster for this weekend that way. I also wouldn't call 2h short.

Either way, it's a game design flaw, this is the place to point it out so that's what this thread is about. Not some workarounds I'm well aware of already, which don't really work properly either.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, XorUnison said:

Yeah, and I got myself a booster for this weekend that way. I also wouldn't call 2h short.

Either way, it's a game design flaw, this is the place to point it out so that's what this thread is about. Not some workarounds I'm well aware of already, which don't really work properly either.

So are you saying that every other mmo that has a daily login system is a "design flaw"? It isn't a design flaw, just don't play near the reset if you feel like a booster might come your way.

On 2020-03-13 at 7:33 AM, TotalEnigma85 said:

just add a booster type to market that will last as long as you are ingame

example 24h  affinity booster , you play only 4h and log out for 3 days , you come back and you still have 20h left , i say it is fair play

Except no game does this, like ever.

On 2020-03-14 at 8:14 PM, (XB1)Rez090 said:

So are you saying that every other mmo that has a daily login system is a "design flaw"? It isn't a design flaw, just don't play near the reset if you feel like a booster might come your way.

No. Of course not. Didn't think this would have to be stated like this but let me try to put it as clearly as possible.

Warframe employs a daily login mechanic, called daily tribute. Such daily login mechanics are fairly common in all sorts of MMOs. They're all nice and dandy too, so far so good, no issues here. Sometimes Warframe gives you flat resources. They might not always be useful to you, or not much, but the point of such a daily login also isn't to be a blast of wonders every time. It's a nice extra. Honestly I could even do without boosters in daily rewards, since just farming and selling stuff for platinum to get boosters is very well viable. So that's not the point here.

But it has boosters and they're always nice and useful to get. So far so good. And only now we come to the issue. If you get a booster it gets used instantly, and that happens at a specific point per day, for that day forward, potentially leading to the booster being wasted for some players, and not for others. Flat resources meanwhile are never wasted for any players. Everyone should be on a level playing field, but they're not. People for whom the daily tribute is in the middle or towards the end of their possible playing time are notably worse off than those who have the daily tribute at the beginning or outside of their playing time. That's flawed design.

And "just don't play near the reset" when boosters might always be coming my way is 100% off-topic and useless to say. I could find something to say like that to each and every feedback thread. Just restart the mission, just do this, just do that. It's still useless baggage for according threads in a feedback subforum.

Also if the booster is actually not alone but together with other rewards you do actually get the choice when to take it because the game doesn't grant you a reward until you pick it. So the game also behaves inconsistent, and behavior that is inconsistent with what the game shows is, by definition, flawed. For multiple rewards it actually waits for your choice, for a single reward it merely pretends to wait. So if you get a 3h booster, and you wait 3h+ on the login screen, then claim the booster, you don't even get the booster after these 3h, rather it's actually already going to be expired the moment you claim it. If you get a 3h booster mixed in with other rewards and claim the booster 3h+ later, it starts right then and there and you can use it just fine.

Please don't bother telling me inconsistency isn't flawed design.

Edited by XorUnison
Typo
  • Like 1

Every time I see someone posting complaining about login goodies, I want to take back every login reward they've ever gotten and turn theirs off. It's a freebie that's designed to encourage you to play. Sure it's egging you on a bit, but you could get nothing ever. Stop being so entitled.

17 minutes ago, Hobie-wan said:

Every time I see someone posting complaining about login goodies, I want to take back every login reward they've ever gotten and turn theirs off. It's a freebie that's designed to encourage you to play. Sure it's egging you on a bit, but you could get nothing ever. Stop being so entitled.

You have, at least, 650 logins. Your boosters last at least 22 hours. It's easy to have no problem with free boosters when they last that long. Compared to when I used to work a lot more, I would log in between getting home from closing, get a booster I couldn't use, and then sleep to open in the morning.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Grey_Star_Rival_Defender said:

You have, at least, 650 logins. Your boosters last at least 22 hours. It's easy to have no problem with free boosters when they last that long. Compared to when I used to work a lot more, I would log in between getting home from closing, get a booster I couldn't use, and then sleep to open in the morning.

get more logins then...

Edited by (PS4)Spider_Enigma

5 minutes ago, Grey_Star_Rival_Defender said:

Yes, I have been playing a long time so that means my boosters last far longer than that. It also means that the rewards that are a handful of resources are basically useless to me to even it out. But putting aside the fact that the rewards are meant to encourage one to play, there could be none at all. No resources that are useful to a new player, no random BPs, no milestones, and so on. Instead of people looking at the cool and useful things you occasionally get, many people complain about the things that don't help them at this particular moment.

On 2020-03-16 at 8:36 PM, Hobie-wan said:

Me: "I could totally to without login rewards. But they're here, there's some inconsistencies in the game design, there's a feedback forum so let me use that forum for what its made for and point that out."

You: "Stop being so entitled."

Alright Sherlock. Have you considered actually reading before posting?

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, XorUnison said:

Me: "I could totally to without login rewards. But they're here, there's some inconsistencies in the game design, there's a feedback forum so let me use that forum for what its made for and point that out."

You: "Stop being so entitled."

Alright Sherlock. Have you considered actually reading before posting?

Not every login reward will please every single user every time. If it was always the best stuff you would stop paying attention to it and there would be no potential joy on good days. It would just be an annoying button you had to click on every day for the same old crap every day. The login rewards are freebies that only cost you a few seconds of your time and a minuscule amount of electricity to get. Be pleasantly surprised when you get something especially useful or something larger like a milestone reward.

And again, the login reward is there to entice you to play. Having you save something for later defeats that purpose. Have you read any of the responses to the thread before posting further?

On 2020-03-12 at 11:24 PM, XorUnison said:

Whenever the daily login reward has multiple choices, you also really get to make the choice yourself of what to take, and more importantly when. If there's a good booster in there but it's not a good time to activate it, you can close the game, come back later, grab it and play. So far so good, like it should be.

Whenever the daily login has a single choice though, whatever it is actually gets instantly credited to your account, and you clicking on the reward is just a fake front. Sometimes that single "choice" is a booster. And since the login time is fixed, while peoples daily schedules are not, depending on your schedule it might be at the end of your day and playing time, or before work or other mandatory stuff. So the game might effectively put you in front of the choice between sleeping while your booster time wastes away, or playing while your sleep time wastes away. Either way it leaves a nastily bitter aftertaste and turns what would be a nice login reward into just plain griefing the player.

The solution is really fairly simple. Make single login rewards a proper choice too. If now isn't a good time to credit that 6h booster to my account, then let me back out of the game so I still have it later when I can play in peace, instead of forcefully triggering it. Or make the login boosters consumables. Or have single choices only be with resources so it doesn't matter in this way in the first place. Or make login boosters a different, (then possibly shorter) type that only ticks down its time while playing. There's a bunch of ways to do this better.

Just not "here's a booster, right now, so you better be having time to play, right now".

I disagree here for one, simple reason: You logged in to play and you're rewarded with a temporary boost during the expected time you're going to play because you logged in to play!! Why should there ever be an expected extra, extra hook-up like what you're suggesting? This is next level spoiled my friend and yet another silly thing DE may read and have a conversation about...right along with the thousands of spoiled "why can't I" threads. Use it or lose it. That's the nature of bonus items like these. 

@Hobie-wan

1. My first and primary suggestion was to allow people to back out of the game to save it. Not to keep playing and save it. The other suggestions were additional for consideration by the devs.

2. My suggestion is about leveling the playing field and making it equally enticing to everyone. Not making it more enticing. I couldn't be miffed by the game having less enticing login rewards since they're overly sweet already in my opinion. You're grossly misrepresenting my position and I'd really appreciate if you could stop doing that.

3. This stuff here is meant to be read by the devs, and they have no benefit from reading banter and gas-lighting. I'd also appreciate if we could keep that to a minimum too.

@(PS4)GEN-Son_17

I'll only answer this (a third time) with a single sentence. I did not "login" at these times, I already was logged in for the one or the other hour prior, same with other players for who that's an issue.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

I disagree here for one, simple reason: You logged in to play and you're rewarded with a temporary boost during the expected time you're going to play because you logged in to play!!

The "Login reward" triggers the next time you return to your orbiter after a mission or visiting a relay, after the reward would normally trigger if you had just logged in for the first time that day.

For me, this happens at 7pm. This is generally very close to when I start making dinner, eating dinner, watching some TV and going to bed... but not so close that I would be entirely done playing for the day. When I first started playing Warframe, I'd get these short little boosters that went entirely unused. They were like annoying pokes that said "Haha, you would have gotten this, if you had more time to play."

Now, I get 24hrs boosters, and I can generally make use of at least 2hrs of that time. Yay. (since I won a prime access, with 3 months of booster time, and temp login boosters just add on to the end of that time, they're a whole lot more useful to get.)

I've posted in threads about boosters and the login rewards before, but there are improvements that could be made... like setting your own "login reward time" that best suits your schedule, at the very least.

• Like 2

the daily booster should end at the next day reset after X hours play.

so if it is for 5 hours ; that we obtain it at 1 am, play up to 2 am, and play again the next day at 6 pm, it will stay up to 10 pm. if the next day, we play again at 11pm, it will end at the end of the day, 2 hours later, at 1 am.

The old daily tribute shows added credit or booster, without "click to open".
/topic/1004455-daily-tribute-shows-booster-and-starts-3-hour-timer-without-click-to-open/
But a single box daily tribute still activate boosters immediately when loaded Orbiter.

How to delay a Daily Tribute while in game: Go to Relay or Dojo's Observatory and use navigation while in relay or Dojo. When mission end, returned to Relay or Dojo. Note, return to orbiter or log in to orbiter will show daily tribute that may activate boosters when shown.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-17 at 3:53 PM, Hobie-wan said:

It would just be an annoying button you had to click on every day for the same old crap every day.

That’s literally what they are lol. Gee DE, thanks for the 20% Plat coupon. Really do appreciate it. Gee, thanks for the gallium, it’ll be a nice artificial number to go with the rest.

Like you can have your position of “they’re freebies don’t be entitled,” but don’t pretend that they’re not annoying. I don’t get genuine joy or surprise from a good login in reward, I just start playing Warframe mildly more interested than before.

Hey you know what’s an annoying thing to click? A wasted booster lol.

• Like 1