Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Make heavy attack work properly

Nerf_SupYo

Let's make this happen already, needing to do a quick melee or equip to do a heavy attack after using either of your primary/secondary weapons is awkward slow and completely out of line with the (excellent) goal of fluid weapon switching.

This problem isn't melee heavy attack only - alt fire on many guns requires the same action and on small magazine weapons with slow reload it can be incredibly lame.

Example: Euphona Prime - 5 shot magazine - the alt fire is really good and an excellent choice in close up combat where hitting multiple enemies comes in very handy. Fire 1 2 3 4 shots melee a few times and want to use that alt fire up close for a quick finale? No dice, you have to switch (slow) or fire a regular round which would use the last shot in the magazine forcing a slow reload.

I know these don't seem like huge problems, but hopefully at some point one of the QoL updates gets around to this..

• Like 7

8 hours ago, DutchDillon said:

I have thought of this ever since they added the heavy attack key. It makes no sense that u can use the secondary fire on ur guns when u have ur melee out but not do a heavy attack when u have ur gun out. 

Agreed

4 hours ago, Iamabearlulz said:

What about people like me, who use the same button for Heavy Attack as they do for Alt-fire?

Good question, I'm sure there's a solution that can work for everyone. A option in the settings to allow the same key to bind for both could work, on for you off for me - as long as it triggers without having to switch with a regular shot or quick melee first.

On 2020-03-17 at 1:29 AM, Nerf_SupYo said:

Let's make this happen already, needing to do a quick melee or equip to do a heavy attack after using either of your primary/secondary weapons is awkward slow and completely out of line with the (excellent) goal of fluid weapon switching.

This problem isn't melee heavy attack only - alt fire on many guns requires the same action and on small magazine weapons with slow reload it can be incredibly lame.

Example: Euphona Prime - 5 shot magazine - the alt fire is really good and an excellent choice in close up combat where hitting multiple enemies comes in very handy. Fire 1 2 3 4 shots melee a few times and want to use that alt fire up close for a quick finale? No dice, you have to switch (slow) or fire a regular round which would use the last shot in the magazine forcing a slow reload.

I know these don't seem like huge problems, but hopefully at some point one of the QoL updates gets around to this..

THIS. I'm glad i'm not the only one who thinks of this. for some it may be very trivial. not for me. 

Currently the fluid switching that we are able to have between gun and melee is pretty nice, but this is impaired by the inability to use Melee Heavy Attack while we are using Primary/Secondary weapon. It is so Combat breaking for me.

Ash enters a Hallway, marks several enemies in the distance, Fatal Teleport to the Bombard, order the Blade Storm execution, kills a few Grineers with a Fulmin, switch to secondary, headshot a Grineer with Tombfinger and triggers Pax Seeker that kills 3 more Grineers, THEN MELEE HEAVY ATTACK on 3 nearby Grineers to stack on Exodia Brave ... Ooopss!

I can't! cuz you just switched to your Kitgun sucker! ... it is so annoying.   

DE please fix this. tq. 

• Like 2

I've also started this topic a few times since melee 3.0 launch.

I also promote a quick-hip-fire from full melee without aiming (manual block) when you press fire key. (Right now it does nothing unless you pick an option to use it as a second button for normal melee attacks - in that case it can stay as it is now).

P.S:"inability to bind heavy attack to work properly from firearms is the ONLY reason I ever switch to full-melee mode".

Edited by Scar.brother.help.me
  • Like 2

I was about to make a topic about the exact same issue. I got a Destreza Prime built for heavy attacks with no attack speed in the build (because one poke really drops anything I come across, so don't need to be able to quickly stab a second time), but having to use a regular attack before I can use my heavy REALLY slows the flow down. If I hit the heavy attack button, it should automatically swap to melee and perform the heavy.

And on another melee 3.0 note: Make it so if you equip your melee (by holding F), using M1 will swing the weapon, even with "melee with fire weapon input" disabled. If I use quick melee, I want M1 to bring my gun out and start shooting. If manually equip my melee, I want M1 to swing it.

These would be massive QoL changes for melee 3.0, and I really hope they'll be added ASAP.

• Like 2

On 2020-03-17 at 5:35 AM, Iamabearlulz said:

What about people like me, who use the same button for Heavy Attack as they do for Alt-fire?

This is easy enough to detect. This is mostly a pc only QoL change as it would only affects players who manually bind a key to this function.  

• Like 1

On 2020-03-19 at 1:50 AM, Scar.brother.help.me said:

I've also started this topic a few times since melee 3.0 launch.

I also promote a quick-hip-fire from full melee without aiming (manual block) when you press fire key. (Right now it does nothing unless you pick an option to use it as a second button for normal melee attacks - in that case it can stay as it is now).

P.S:"inability to bind heavy attack to work properly from firearms is the ONLY reason I ever switch to full-melee mode".

It really breaks the flow, right? So many of the changes are great but little touches like this can make a huge difference.

1 hour ago, Nerf_SupYo said:

It really breaks the flow, right? So many of the changes are great but little touches like this can make a huge difference.

Yep, these and also annoying forced movements during 99% of any melee combos. I want to control myself where I move during melee attacks for the Void's sake!

Some movements are just freaky, check out block-combo of gunblades (not sure which stance exactly, they all suck but one makes you actually jump left-right-back, and you find yourself somewhere in the back-left corner of the room. This is just stupid.

On 2020-03-19 at 6:50 AM, Scar.brother.help.me said:

Melee mode exists specifically for melee. Quick hip fire from melee is gun mode if you have the  LMB toggle set for guns instead of melee. Dont muddle/nerf melee even more than it was in terms of clean playstyle than it already was.

2 hours ago, Andele3025 said:

Melee mode exists specifically for melee. Quick hip fire from melee is gun mode if you have the  LMB toggle set for guns instead of melee. Dont muddle/nerf melee even more than it was in terms of clean playstyle than it already was.

As long as we can individually set it up the way that works for us I'm ok with it, even if it's a dozen toggles in the settings dialogs for how you want melee/weapon switching to behave that's fine with me. How we make it work is the question.

5 hours ago, Nerf_SupYo said:

As long as we can individually set it up the way that works for us I'm ok with it, even if it's a dozen toggles in the settings dialogs for how you want melee/weapon switching to behave that's fine with me. How we make it work is the question.

True, hell id go as far as asking for individual slot based keybinds and ability to rebind stances (especially since DE butchered them making most static stances animation lock you forward, most foward combos have animation locked roots, etc), tho in that persons specific request, what they are asking for is functionally already in game as the only difference between quickmelee and melee mode is to have manual instead of auto block thus have to press weapon swap to go back to guns/gun mode quick hip fires if you dont use LMB to melee.

Or in TLDR: not opposted to being able to heavy slam from gun, i just want to keep melee mode melee.

Edited by Andele3025

23 hours ago, Andele3025 said:

True, hell id go as far as asking for individual slot based keybinds and ability to rebind stances (especially since DE butchered them making most static stances animation lock you forward, most foward combos have animation locked roots, etc), tho in that persons specific request, what they are asking for is functionally already in game as the only difference between quickmelee and melee mode is to have manual instead of auto block thus have to press weapon swap to go back to guns/gun mode quick hip fires if you dont use LMB to melee.

Or in TLDR: not opposted to being able to heavy slam from gun, i just want to keep melee mode melee.

So many of the stances are ruined as is for now, you have a good point about setting a system like this up could take a little of the pain while we wait the 2yrs it will inevitably take to get them fixed.

• 1 month later...

It's still not too late...we could actually make this thing work if we just didn't forget to keep complaining and complaining and complaining about obvious things like this not being the way they should work.....

upvote me to fix

you know you wanna

mmk

• 5 weeks later...
16 hours ago, (PS4)jaggerwanderer said:

This can't happen because console exists. We don't have enough buttons to do most of the functions PC players can. Try to make everything work with only 12 buttons.

That is the selfish nonsense that has been holding PC gaming back for over a decade now. There is no reason to deny PC users quality, just because some people want to play on consoles. It's bad enough we have to live with clunky horrible console UI garbage. Give us a break!

• Like 1