Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Melee Mode

-IX-

We love warframe.  We love shooting the space herpes, pulling/miasmaing/stomping/burning/freezing them with abilities.

We also love to melee the crap out of them.  Especially since we have a whole buckload of melee weapons in game.

The issue?  Melee is very simple and limited.  It's basically an animation, range and damage.  There is no depth to it. 

Depending on the animation, it can feel awkward and clumsy (hello ether daggers).

But we love the ninja and melee side of things.

So why not add some serious depth to this?  What you say?  Melee Mode

What is Melee Mode you ask?  It's simple, but quite complex.  Ok ok i'm getting to it.  It doesn't replace the current melee function at all.  It adds to it.

So you press this assigned melee mode button, and your warframe goes into... well duh... melee mode.

It puts it's guns away, takes out it's melee weapon.  Now until you put your melee weapon away, you are in melee mode.

Aim button and aiming direction now blocks in that direction, and your fire button swings your weapon depending on walking/strafing/crouching etc direction.  If you've played games like Jedi Outcast, you can imagine how sweet it can be to combine walking direction and fire button actions to adjust swing direction or to adjust swing speed and strength.

Currently there is more or less one basic melee animation, and sometimes it completely missed the low crawling enemies or the ones hovering above.  All it is really is a quick slash.

In melee mode you can add more complexities to the melee fighting, such as adding grapples, human or infested human shields, combos, riposte, bullet deflection (already a mod, getting to that) etc etc.  

Imagine if you had an extra set of mod slots just for melee mode.  All those nice melee/block/reflect focused mods could go into that area and you can actually deck out your frame to be fun and deadly in melee.

The current, fast slash with your melee weapon while in guns mode should stay.  It has it's uses, for that quick strike o the old faithful while keeping pew-pew-pewing.  But when you really want to go ninja on that  toxic ancient (bad choice man) you go into melee mode and truly go space ninja on his butt.

Melee Mode, you know you want it.  :D

How long do DE have to make it worse and worse before people realise that you're supposed to use Guns.

Yes, you're a space ninja, but running blindly into the fray swinging away isn't the way to go about things.

It just gets you killed.

Can't believe some people are actually opposed to this. If the game was designed in a way where melee wasn't complete garbage then why would it matter what methods the Tenno use to dispatch enemies? 

It's a third person shooter because adding a competent shooting component is likely much easier than creating a competent melee component. 

This is similar to what I think of when I think of a Skana wielding Tenno. We do wall runs, front flips over ledges, acrobatic rolls and side-flips. Deflecting bullets as we charge at an ugly Grineer seems like the ESSENCE of Warframe. 

It's not like it would damage the shooting aspect at all. It would just open more possibilities.

We do wall runs, front flips over ledges, acrobatic rolls and side-flips. Deflecting bullets as we charge at an ugly Grineer seems like the ESSENCE of Warframe. 

Yeah, we are lying sometimes, so killing each other with a bare hands seems like the ESSENCE of us.

Viable melee is plain sick. Who brings sticks to a gunfight?

Yeah, we are lying sometimes, so killing each other with a bare hands seems like the ESSENCE of us.

Viable melee is plain sick. Who brings sticks to a gunfight?

You trying to force logic onto a video game that all ready has established lore that blatantly disagrees with and disproves you is sick. And because of this I'm adding you to my ignore list. 

Video games =/= real life. 

blah blah blah, old news. This is the future, we use guns. This is a third person shooter. No matter how much you people want it to be a hack and slash. No. Just no.

Why the hell not? I am playing this game for the sole reason that's it melee is prominent, I currently love cutting people in half and all that jazz. Any improvements or added depth to melee is exciting to me. If I wanted a simple third person shooter I would play gears of war. But Im here for a game that provides both hack and slash and guns. Its to bad the melee is currently so limited.

You trying to force logic onto a video game that all ready has established lore that blatantly disagrees with and disproves you is sick. And because of this I'm adding you to my ignore list. 

Video games =/= real life. 

But it does not meant that it should NOT have a common sense even in small parts. I wouldn't care about suggestion if this game was a bloody co-op, making you watching circus around you. But it is.

Even more than this, sooner or later game will have some mechanic to force players use it. Simply to not waste efforts into nothing. And if YOU are OK with it, somebody is NOT.

How long do DE have to make it worse and worse before people realise that you're supposed to use Guns.

Yes, you're a space ninja, but running blindly into the fray swinging away isn't the way to go about things.

It just gets you killed.

blah blah blah, old news. This is the future, we use guns. This is a third person shooter. No matter how much you people want it to be a hack and slash. No. Just no.

But it does not meant that it should NOT have a common sense even in small parts. I wouldn't care about suggestion if this game was a bloody co-op, making you watching circus around you. But it is.

Even more than this, sooner or later game will have some mechanic to force players use it. Simply to not waste efforts into nothing. And if YOU are OK with it, somebody is NOT.

Just because you guys might want to view warframe as limited to being mostly a third person shooter that doesn't mean it is.

DE (the developers of the game) were asked if warframe is supposed to be a shooter, a melee game or a powers game.

They said that ideally we are supposed to all three aspects, gun, blade and powers more equally.

One aspect is not the focus of the game. It is more than a third person shooter.

The goal is to use each one at the right time with the right tactics.

This is only truly feasible when all three aspects are equally effective.

If not the weakest element will always lag behind.

"Common sense" in a video game is the understanding that a game should play the way the developers intend it to.

Beta feedback is largely supposed to be about helping a developer achieve the intended vision. 

Then using it to our advantage in game.

In this case: Trying to relegate melee to a secondary place behind gunplay is not the intended design of warframe.

Right now melee is less than its meant to be. Helping DE realize their vision of having the three aspects of warframe all be equally effective would be the proper application of common sense.

OR..well...you could tell DE that their vision isn't what you want and that they should change it.

No one game will please everybody, truth is one vision or another is going to have to be followed to completion.

Feedback certainly has room for those who feel the intent of the game is off.

But you'd have to acknowledge the current design first and not pretend it isn't what it is.

FYI-this same kind of conversation was had in relation to power usage many months ago.

Some people asked to use powers more often, others responded by saying that warframe is a shooter and powers are supposed to take a back seat. DE responded by saying that powers are supposed to be one of the three core things in warframe...and raised energy collection so we could use them a lot more often.

Balance is an ongoing pursuit. There was a time when melee builds could be made to be extremely competitive with gun based builds. That is not the case right now but its likely to become so again in time. Why? Because that is DE's vision.

Edited by Ronyn