Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why doesn't Ordis notice the man in the wall

(XBOX)Leafrider8

This is actually something that's addressed in Railjack story.

EDIT: Addressed may not be the right word, but it is something that's acknowledged and expanded on.

Spoiler

Though not necessarily 'explained'

Edited by Zsword

Perhsps the being is cloaking its existence from everyone but us.  Maybe its in our heads.

Cy seemed to acknowledge something was in the railjack reactor.

As far as i know we have limited information on the void. In time we may get more.

Hoping for amazing reveals with duviri paradox.

Edited by (PS4)Kakurine2
  • Like 1

47 minutes ago, Lokidus_Prime said:

Funfact: prior to the new orbiter interior update, Wally was literally hidden in the wall of your orbiter behind your mod station as a T-posed default operator.  After the update however, he's no longer there.

I'm sure he's still hidden somewhere, likely much further from the ship where you can't see him. It's a frequent performance optimization since loading in a model has quite a hit, and keeping it loaded when it's occluded by other geometry is pretty cheap.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Probably because it's merely in their head. The player character's wally hasn't been acknowledged by anyone other than the Tenno themselves.

I think Natah/Lotus acknowledges the Void’s presence as an entity at one point, but I’m with you, Aurora.  

I think once the Margulis safety protocols (like a virus protect/firewall/Windows safe mode) were turned off (Remember, they made the nightmares stop), our Operator had a jump in Void Powers, but I think the clock began ticking on an impending “man vs self” conflict because the Void (as Wally) was no longer suppressed (if he was already a part of us) or he was able to infiltrate our mind to slowly try to drive us mad and take over (like Rell) our very identity.

The choice with the Kuva on the Mountain wasn’t about the Kuva, it was a choice that was symbolic of how the Void would attack our sanity (Seduction through power, arrogance of false pretense at control, or flat out denial/ignorance that being a star child is a packaged deal).

Edited by (PS4)Silverback73
  • Like 1

Because it is a manifestation in the mind of one single tenno. The storyline only happens once, it is really only our own tenno that is special and has a connection to him. All other tenno are just "normal" tenno that havent experienced what we have during the story and have no personal connection to Wally. Just as there is only 1 Lotus helm in 1 single orbiter. Just as there would logically only be 1 of each frame that are obtained through story quests etc.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Probably because it's merely in their head. The player character's wally hasn't been acknowledged by anyone other than the Tenno themselves.

"A voice, a void lurks inside you, its purpose not yet shown"

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

"A voice, a void lurks inside you, its purpose not yet shown"

Acknowledged, not merely mentioned. And Natah is unique in the sense that for all intents and purposes chances are she might actually suffer from the same condition(brought on by Ballas) as the Tenno do naturally.

Edited by AuroraSonicBoom

7 minutes ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Acknowledged, not merely mentioned. And Natah is unique in the sense that for all intents and purposes chances are she might actually suffer from the same condition(brought on by Ballas) as the Tenno do naturally.

"I have seen the walls other face too" she outright acknowledges that she's seen the entity.

Is there any evidence that she's directly experiencing the same condition as the Tenno? I mean, the symptoms of uncontrolled void exposure are known - a second, intensely violent personality manifesting in control over the original, impaired or altered speech and impaired motor functions. Lotus doesn't demonstrate this as far as we've seen - if anything, her more recent state is passive, overly verbose, and she seems as graceful and delicate as ever, which is the precise opposite. It's possible that it doesn't affect her in the same way because she's a sentient, but there's no linking symptoms at all so that's a fairly weak connection.

It's also inferred that Sentients are doing what they are to her. She says she was saved by family and Erra is named after an ancient god who's job it was to manipulate world leaders and destroy humanity.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, (PS4)Nighthawk2060 said:

only our operator can see the man in the wall, because the man in the wall is a void entity, only ones touched by the void can see him.

15 hours ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:

Problem with this theory is, Cy can sense it just fine

5 hours ago, Loza03 said:

"I have seen the walls other face too" she outright acknowledges that she's seen the entity.

This could easily be symbolic language stating that she knows the Man-in-the-wall's hidden intentions. While he ostensibly helps us, it is very much possible that he's doing so for his own immediate gain.

13 hours ago, (PS4)Silverback73 said:

I think once the Margulis safety protocols (like a virus protect/firewall/Windows safe mode) were turned off (Remember, they made the nightmares stop), our Operator had a jump in Void Powers, but I think the clock began ticking on an impending “man vs self” conflict because the Void (as Wally) was no longer suppressed (if he was already a part of us) or he was able to infiltrate our mind to slowly try to drive us mad and take over (like Rell) our very identity.

It wasn't anything to do with the waking of the second dream. Rather, in the Chains of Harrow questline, if I recall correctly...

Spoiler

It is discovered that an ostracised Tenno, Rell, was plagued by the Man-in-the-wall and mistrusted it. With the support of the then nascent Red Veil, he built a Warframe, incarcerated the void entity inside his own mind, and then imprisoned himself inside his Warframe, thus condemning himself to eternal torture in order to enchain the Man-in-the-wall. 

When Rell was freed from his torment and allowed to pass on to the afterlife, the Man-in-the-wall was free to reach out to the other Tenno.

I don't think the connection with the Void entity is unique to the player Tenno, I think it is a binding aspect of ALL Tenno. He implies on some occasions that the power the Tenno have over the void originates from him, which puts him in a very interesting position as a participant in the New War. Considering he also led us to the Paracesis, it's safe to say that he is slanted against the Sentient.

Personally, I suspect that the Tenno are serving as his anchors to the material realm, and he is therefor keen on keeping them alive and connected to him. He could serve as a Faustian-deal type character later on, offering greater power in exchange for increasing his influence on the world outside the void, possibly culminating in a full-on breakthrough, allowing him to manifest without the help of the Tenno.

11 minutes ago, Colyeses said:

This could easily be symbolic language stating that she knows the Man-in-the-wall's hidden intentions. While he ostensibly helps us, it is very much possible that he's doing so for his own immediate gain.

For the former? Possible, but without further detail we can't know.

For the latter? I'd be disappointed if it was anything but.

8 hours ago, TARINunit9 said:

Problem with this theory is, Cy can sense it just fine

• Attempting to perceive: Cognition algorithms fail to prove a negative. Something touches me. Impossible.
  • Crew. A color you have never seen. Imagine it. That is where you are.
  • Paradox. You behold an absence. Describe it.

None of these imply that he senses the man in the wall on his own. He senses something, and only when you touch the drive. Don't get me wrong, wally exists as a real being, but the apparition we've seen so far is just in the tenno's mind. When we do touch the drive, which is part of the ship, Cy can sens the apparent paradox of the Tenno's existence.

8 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Is there any evidence that she's directly experiencing the same condition as the Tenno?

Totally. In fact, I speculate that Lotus existence is predicated on Natah having been exposed to kuva and molded by the orokin(likely Ballas) into what they needed her to be. Let's assume for a moment I'm right with the idea that the effect of void exposure splits a person's consciousness into two parts: Ego and id, reason and emotion, consciousness and subconsciousness. Let's also assume that Margulis' subconsciousness wasn't erased when she was executed, and that before her death she was exposed to kuva to prime her for a continuity/rebirth. We know that's possible as Ballas did something similar to Ordan. Finally, lets assume that when Natah was captured, Ballas took the opportunity to revive the part of Margulis that he managed to save into the mimic, mixing Natah's consciousness with Margulis' subconsciousness and hoping that she would suppress the sentient' mind in the same way the elder queen wanted to force the tenno's mind into submission to inhabit their body.

Finally, during Erra, there are many moments hinting at the fact that lotus, or Natah, was exposed to Kuva. She can link minds with the Tenno and control them(during which her eye light glowed red like the Tenno's), Erra mentions how her eye is in the void, Natah mixing up past and present memories, which Erra has to correct her on, the mere fact that the Tenno is able to eavesdrop, which Natah makes a remark on.

So yeah, evidence that Natah was given kuva is very strong, and from what we know about Kuva and how it was used by Orokin, the most likely reason she was given kuva is to revive margulis through her. Two personalities in one body.

In the end, Lotus might not have suffered from exactly the same condition as the Tenno, since her split personality was artificially induced, but there's a strong link between the process of continuity, the void, and the void exposure the Tenno suffered from. I always think of void exposure as the force that fragments consciousnesses and kuva having the opposite effect, acting like glue.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AuroraSonicBoom said:
  • Attempting to perceive: Cognition algorithms fail to prove a negative. Something touches me. Impossible.
  • Crew. A color you have never seen. Imagine it. That is where you are.
  • Paradox. You behold an absence. Describe it.

None of these imply that he senses the man in the wall on his own. He senses something, and only when you touch the drive. Don't get me wrong, wally exists as a real being, but the apparition we've seen so far is just in the tenno's mind. When we do touch the drive, which is part of the ship, Cy can sens the apparent paradox of the Tenno's existence.

Eh, I only half-agree. I mean look at those second and third quotes. He's not confused, he's in lecture mode

Yes he clearly can't see what it is, but he can sense that it's very real, almost routine with how consistent it is. In a sort of "and this is where we reload the starboard guns, and this is where we scrub the carbon filters, and this is where you can interface with the logic-eating abomination that should not be, and this is where you can recharge your Omni" kind of way

Edited by TARINunit9