Jade Shadows: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Taking A Look At Auras

DaWolv

When it comes to Auras, the game can be improved in a lot of fields, so I’d like not to waste any time and get right into it:

The first problem deals with usage.

I have played all Frames (except Mag Prime, she’s being built as we speak), I have deleted some, most of them I kept. The ones that I enjoyed playing, I enjoyed playing for their Abilities, not their stats or looks. If a Frame’s abilities don’t fit my play style or are boring to me, I won’t keep the Frame.

This in turn means that the frequent use of abilities is of the highest priority to me, and therefore I have spent most of my Formas to give all my Frames a tactical polarity in the Aura slot, so I can bring Energy Siphon which each and every one of them without the penalty in Mod Capacity.

The issue with the Energy I have also brought up in a different post regarding the Nightmare missions. I find the concept interesting, yet Nightmare is either to easy, or too frustrating. While being challenged, I still want to be able to play the game by the rules it has taught me from day 1, so while stripping me of all my Shields sounds like an interesting perspective of the gameplay – forcing me to use my Abilities intelligently to make up for the lack of defense – I cannot do so, because it also removes all my Energy.

This turns Warframe from a game about magic-wielding space ninjas to yet another cover shooter, where you get ripped to shreds when you prance about in the open for too long. Forget close combat, forget charging into the fray. … but back to topic.

The problem with the polarity is not just that the (in the majorities opinion) “best” Aura has a tactical polarity, but it’s that MOST Auras have a tactical polarity.

Thus, when you start off fresh, having a Frame with a tactical polarity gives you a broader array of mods to choose from to boost your Mod Capacity to the maximum. (Provided you manage to get one.)

Not only that, but out of the 3 Auras that I would call “worth-while”, 2 are tactical.

They are of course:
Energy Siphon,

Corrosive Projection

and Rejuvenation, being the sole defensive Aura that I would consider bringing.

All other mods are simply not up to snuff!

While Rejuvenation certainly is useful in certain missions, I can still balance the trade-off in my mod points when I need to bring it, regardless of my polarity (chances are, if we really need the Rejuvenation someone could just switch to Trinity). For the majority of times, I prefer to bring Energy Siphon.

This issue is not that I’d like Energy Siphon to be less powerful or impactful; I just think there is a dire need for Auras that bring more variety and more valid choices for those who play a Frame with the “wrong” polarity.

No one is using the Scavenger Mods, they are by far the most useless, right above them being mods like Enemy Radar, Physique and Steel Charge, with Infested Impedance and Rifle Amp taking slots 4 and 5 on the ranking, but still with a wide, deep trench between them and the top 3.

Issues with…
…Rifle Amp: In the higher end missions, shooting your guns is more used to finish off the last few enemies in the room. The main damage output comes through the Frames Abilities. On a high end defense you’re not going to mow down 400 enemies with your gun. Everyone in your team pressing “4” once will suffice to get most of the enemies out of the way; the guns only clean up after the smoke has settled.

In this scenario an Aura other than these top 3 is simply a waste of resources (provided the player has one of those 3).

Although I don’t see Rifle Amp as a really useless Aura, I think that it pales in comparison with the Top 3.

…Steel Charge:

It has come to my attention that the damage increase only works for non-charge attacks. Even if it would benefit both, this is only of use when you are specifically leveling your melee weapons.

…Physique: In most scenarios, having slightly lower health, but either Rejuvenation to make up for it, or more Energy to more frequently access defensive Abilities is much more valuable.

..Enemy Radar: Useless in Exterminate, Survival and Defense, i.e. the most played missions types. If it would be just “Radar” and would include a Loot Radar as well, it would be slightly more useful, if not by much.

This is also the only Aura that brings you no benefits when you have it twice in any given team setup. Also, much like Blessing can make up for Rejuvenation, Banshee’s Sonar makes Enemy Radar redundant.

…Scavengers: I don’t think I even have to comment on those. They only have gotten more redundant since the Ammo Conversion Mods came out… not that they were worth-while before.

…Infested Impedance: Useful, but very limited due to its name-sake. I’d love to see alternatives for the other factions, like: Robot Malfunction (Robotic Units have less shields/Shield drones generate less) or Veil (Grineer have limited vision and hearing – AI nerf)

This leads us to look at variety.

What we need is not only more Auras, but Auras that give Frames with non-tactical polarity a valid choice:

Why aren’t there (D) Auras that increase Shields, or Shield recharge? Maybe Speed? Sentinel Rebirths? Slower bleeding out when downed?

Why not include (V) Auras that increase Power Strength or Duration? Extra Elemental Damage to all outgoing damage? Higher overall Energy Pool?

You don’t need to come up with completely new ideas, just take existing mods and rebalance them around the idea of an area-of-effect mod for the entire team.

Fact is, there’s a huge amount of functionalities I could come up with off the top of my head that would, if correctly balanced, not become “the next overpowered thing”, but still force me to make an intelligent choice on what to bring in any given situation.

The next thing to take a look at is acquisition.
The Alert system is very cool, but most of them are locked away for new players. If you are unlucky, you can go many weeks without getting your first Aura, and chances are it’s going to be one of those lower tier ones, that bring nothing to the table other than the increase in Mod Capacity.

I think the Alert system should feature mods more frequently, and not just Auras, regular mods as well. Once you are doing Void missions you stop caring about credits anyhow, so the incentive to do a 6900c run is very little, compared to an 11000c Void run that yields a chance of Forma and other rare items.

I also addressed the Alert system before.
There are so many items you could potentially distribute with the Alerts, forcing players to play different mission types for a cool reward. You could just include the majority of mods and blueprints from the market as well. Instead of people being bored by simple credit rewards, they could go directly after the blueprints they wanted to buy anyway, especially with the trading system coming, this could re-incentivize players that literally have EVERYTHING to go and chase Blueprints again to build them with their leftover materials and trade them to other players, desperate to get their hands on them.

Making Auras drop with a very rare chance from other mission types would also be a way to go, as to incentivize players to break out of the Alert-Boss-Void-Defense-routine that is hanging like a storm cloud over the game. Maybe even utilize the Loot 2.0 and have specific Auras be given as rewards against specific Factions and/or on specific planets.

You could also use this to re-incentivize players to go back and do derelict missions, even after they have gotten Nekros and enough Mutagen Samples for their research.

You bring up some good points, in my opinion.

One thing to keep in mind, is that given the odd distribution of polarities with Auras, it is very likely they're making more to "even the score".

In regards to acquisition, I must admit I'm not overly fond of the Alert-only rewards. While I recognize and agree that there should be some items that are only easily obtainable by certain means, I do feel that it should be a case of simply increased chances, not exclusivity, with very rare exceptions such as Nightmare mods.

The reason Nightmare mods are "absolved", is simply because they subscribe to the same notion as any other standard loot, as opposed to Alert-only rewards: The player chooses how often the dice is rolled, not a hard-locked value that only rolls it X times within Y time unit.

Let's say, for example, that Auras had a drop chance of, oh, 5 - 10% - dependant on rarity - from Alert missions.

Comparatively, in normal missions, this chance drops to a measly <1%, and applies at greater difficulty levels.

In my opinion, Alerts should be the potential helping hand going "Fair enough, you haven't had any luck with the normal RNG. Here, try this". Making up for this by being timed events. Conversely, players who go on a gaming-binge and want to look for an Aura mod, can do so, and as previously mentioned, roll the dice themselves.

This notion also extends to other items, such as Forma and Orokin Catalysts/Reactors. Granted, given the power and central role of those items, they should, perhaps, be increasingly rare. The point, however, is that the inability for the player to actively roll the dice leaves him/her with a sensation of being powerless, already exacerbated by the RNG. If the system instead worked in conjunction, so Alerts were an extra, more likely chance on top of the usual drop-rates, players would feel less disillusioned in regards to the acquisition of certain items.

I know I'm getting a bit off-topic here, but as a final point; I recognize that this limitation on such items are in part due to help DE generate a revenue. However, and this is an old discussion I'm sure, cosmetics tend to generate just as much income, without vexing the player-base, and potentially scare away people who would otherwise invest in cosmetic improvements.

Just to get back on track; I agree that Aura mods are of limited use as it stands. My main motivator to find one are the added mod points more than anything. Simply because, as you point out, that they are very "meh" in terms of the type of bonus they add - not to be confused with the potential strength, as it is a squad-wide bonus, after all.

Ultimately, for me to actively hunt Aura mods, it's imperative there are interesting and worthwhile (not powerful) bonuses to be gained from them, and hopefully, DE are working on them.

On a final side-note; While I agree it is a shame that certain mission types are so much more lucrative than others, I tend to disagree with the right way to remedy that being forcing players into playing those mission to gain items exclusively available to those mission-types - granted a certain bonus to drop-rate in certain missions might be a good idea, but that should be a secondary motivator to play those missions, not the main; which should be for the fun of it.

Instead, I do think that it's the missions themselves that should be looked at and improved upon, bringing them in line with their current popular counterparts, both in terms of how lucrative they might be, and how fun they are.

What should be done exactly, is first of all going even more off topic than I already have, and secondly, something that would deserve its own discussion.

Either way, good points. :)

Edited by Santiak

On a final side-note; While I agree it is a shame that certain mission types are so much more lucrative than others, I tend to disagree with the right way to remedy that being forcing players into playing those mission to gain items exclusively available to those mission-types - granted a certain bonus to drop-rate in certain missions might be a good idea, but that should be a secondary motivator to play those missions, not the main; which should be for the fun of it.

Instead, I do think that it's the missions themselves that should be looked at and improved upon, bringing them in line with their current popular counterparts, both in terms of how lucrative they might be, and how fun they are.

Who ever said that the other missions weren't fun?

I tell you what isn't fun: Doing the same mission over and over again.

I do play Sabotage sometimes when I'm out for common materials, but other than that, nothing drives me towards these missions - not because I don't think they aren't fun, but because they don't offer me anything.

After a month of exclusively doing bosses, voids and defenses, at some point I could go for some other mission types...

Totally of topic of course, but there you go :)

Back to the Auras then...

Edited by DaWolv

much text but after read it i have to agree u in most parts.Only in the usefulness of some auras I have a different opinion, but well, its my view and everyone like other auras

auras rly need litle rework.. or maybe new dual auras which combine a rly good with an less cmon attribute , like energie with melee ,

or de gives every frame the abbility to weare/combine 2 auras (without point benefit)

Who ever said that the other missions weren't fun?

I tell you what isn't fun: Doing the same mission over and over again.

I do play Sabotage sometimes when I'm out for common materials, but other than that, nothing drives me towards these missions - not because I don't think they aren't fun, but because they don't offer me anything.

After a month of exclusively doing bosses, voids and defenses, at some point I could go for some other mission types...

Totally of topic of course, but there you go :)

Back to the Auras then...

I agree to some degree. Aye, all missions are fun, but some mission are more prone to becoming a chore. However, and I apologize for not stressing that part enough; "both in terms of how lucrative they might be, and [to a lesser extent] how fun they are."

But indeed, the main thing is making them lucrative, which I still think shouldn't be done by making most items mission-type specific. Increased chances, certainly. Exclusivity, not so much. But it should also be looked at in terms of the more base gain you'll get from a given mission.

Anywho, cheers for pointing that out - indeed, all missions are fun. ^^

*shaves off his dastardly moustache and conductors-cap and goes to the corner for nigh-derailing the thread.*

Auras, people! ;)

Edited by Santiak

auras rly need litle rework.. or maybe new dual auras which combine a rly good with an less cmon attribute , like energie with melee ,

or de gives every frame the abbility to weare/combine 2 auras (without point benefit)

I don't think that would solve anything.

This would only create another tier on top of the ones we have, making the lower tier mods even less useful and sought after.

This is how you fix the Aura issue.

New polarity: Aura "O"

All Aura polarities reset to 'none'

All Prime frames have Aura slot polarized

All players are refunded 1 Forma

Done

As for weaker vs. stronger Auras, they should combine like-minded Auras.

For instance Rifle Scavenger and Rifle Amp as one Aura.  Pistol Scavenger and Speed Holster as one Aura.  Energy Siphon and Rejuvination as one Aura.  Steel Charge and Physique as one Aura.  Sniper Scavenger and Enemy Radar as one Aura.  You get the idea.

Edited by Thaumatos

For instance Rifle Scavenger and Rifle Amp as one Aura.  Pistol Scavenger and Speed Holster as one Aura.  Energy Siphon and Rejuvination as one Aura.  Steel Charge and Physique as one Aura.  Sniper Scavenger and Enemy Radar as one Aura.  You get the idea.

So instead of everyone running around with Energy Siphon OR Rejuvination just combine the two, so noone has to choose anymore?

Not necessarily the option I'd go with.

Talk about rendering all other mods useless...