Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

New war early disappointment?

Vit0Corleone

DE does have a problem of teasing content and then taking far too long to release it.
The Sacrifice was teased at TennoCon 2017, and not released until a year later, just before TennoCon 2018.
Railjack/Empyean was teased at TennoCon 2018 and did not release until 18 months later in late November 2019, and did not get it's first playable patch for another 2 weeks after that.
Plains of Duviri was teased at Tennocon 2019, so based on DE's track record we're not going to get that until at least July 2020, if not later now due to the pandemic.

I would suggest that they not publicize upcoming content at all unless they expect to release it within the next 2 months. 2 months should be enough time to finish the polish and squash the last major bugs. If not, adjust the timeframe as required. Because time and again they have shown new content and then taken a very long time to finally release it, and the whole time the community was ginning themselves up for what it was going to be, and were inevitably let down because the content was never as grand as the community's imagination, nor can it be. So, to mitigate the disappointment they need to learn to just Not Talk about things until they're nearly ready for release. They set themselves up for failure otherwise.

That said, I'm not saying they should stop devstreams or stop talking about the game in general. I like knowing the state of the game, what's being looked at, balance changes, etc. Keep that coming, please.

The fact that this pandemic has delayed things obviously does not seem to matter to some within the community. The sentiment seems to be:

DE said "Early March", and now early March has come and gone with no Scarlet Spear. Therefore, DE has failed again, just like always.

In a vacuum, that's fair criticism given DE's track record for delaying content. On the other hand it's lacking a fair bit of grace given that DE can't exactly predict a pandemic or magically flex around it without disruption. I think, however, that if DE would keep quiet about things until they're closer to shipping, that might give them the ability to manage expectations and in turn the community might be a bit more forgiving when timelines need to shift.

The community is never satisfied, and won't ever be.
If we demand DE make hard deadlines and then meet them, we'll complain if the content is buggy and broken because they rushed it to meet the deadline instead of making sure it worked. Railjack suffered this fate.
If we demand content not be released until it is (relatively) bug-free, we'll gripe and complain that new content is taking too long.

All said, I think this is one advantage of being behind the curve in game progress: I don't care that Scarlet Spear got delayed, pandemic or not. I just dont care.

I've never hunted Gary or Harry. I still haven't finished the bounties to fight Profit Taker. Never fought Exploiter either.

Been working on getting my Railjack upgraded because I enjoy the game mode (despite it's flaws), not so much in preparation for Scarlet Spear.
Still farming various frames and playing with them. Spending lots of time with a single frame to really learn how it works instead of staying pigeon-holed on my 'mains'.
Experimenting with new builds to better compliment a friend when we play together...

I'm all caught up on the story and quests but there's still a lot of content I have not done. So if the new stuff is delayed... oh well. I have other things to occupy my time.

I understand that's just me though. Other people might feel they have nothing else to do while they're waiting. For those, may I suggest finding another game to play in the mean time? Not something to take the place of Warframe, just something to do while you're waiting. With so many people being confined to their homes you're going to need something to do anyway.

• Like 4

Too early to say as, yes, we're just starting to enter the New War. I confident enough that DE will make scenery changes as the war progress, I mean they went through the trouble of remastering the Corpus ships.

I'm hoping they go the route with what they did with relays; having potential and meaningful loss will definitely help with the New War.

As for whether or not the New War experience will be integrated into what we have and not just be content island is hard to say. I mean there's a reason why participating in Lich missions are optional and not straight up mandatory when they occupy a location. Sometimes you want to do something without an "event" being an interference, but you know you'll come back to it later.

Edited by NekroArts

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

I dont think they ever said squad link would be added everywhere either

They didn't say that. But they did say it would be something you could use while doing some random mission. E.g. remember the fishing team?

Instead, you will get a specific mission where you have to use it. That is very different from the original concept.

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

also not entirely sure where you got the idea from that your first sentence describes, since what you mention in your second has been the plan since they changed the setup from a single cinematic to a long spanning story

Because that's what I assumed when they said it would be a "full scale war".

Point in time isolated events isn't what I expected from a "full scale war".

2 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

They didn't say that. But they did say it would be something you could use while doing some random mission. E.g. remember the fishing team?

Instead, you will get a specific mission where you have to use it. That is very different from the original concept.

So, perhaps, your assuptions are the problem?

57 minutes ago, Sentinel-14 said:

The community is never satisfied, and won't ever be.
If we demand DE make hard deadlines and then meet them, we'll complain if the content is buggy and broken because they rushed it to meet the deadline instead of making sure it worked. Railjack suffered this fate.
If we demand content not be released until it is (relatively) bug-free, we'll gripe and complain that new content is taking too long.

Except it's late, underwhelming and buggy too. It's not option A or option B as many people thinks.

For example, they advertised railjack for november, which turned out to be only the dry dock. It took 3 weeks, almost until mid december to fly with raijlacks into the unplayable broken mess.

Edited by sitfesz
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, Vit0Corleone said:

"full scale war" that would go on throughout the year. DE's words, not mine.

If you payed attention to the trailer, you didn't, little duck said that the sentients are not here yet only in the veil. Scarlet spear is the start of the invasion with some sentients reaching us.

People hype things up so much

• Like 1

1 hour ago, SneakyErvin said:

Nowhere on the whole info site does it state it is based on a friends list or clan. No idea where you've seen that info. I couldnt even find any indication of it in the latest devstream where they showcased the thing.

Tennocon AND a few other devstreams and prime times as they showed of new things and works in progress is where i got my info from. As for the earliest it was shown aside from tennocon that i can remember, it was on a devstream where they showed railjacks in combination with the lich system. You got to the ship of the lich, it had a shield, the ground squad had to destroy the thing on the planet so that the shields got removed and then you would go on with beating the lich inside of the ship.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Methanoid said:

and yet, if there is no incentive or reason for people to be semi-afk on earth then it will be just as barren/empty/unused as railjack is today.

And? Posting random obvious glass half-empty philosophies serves exactly what purpose? I dont think anyone here implied it would be a surefire success. I kinda just pointed out how it will work. There will be alot of incentives for many many players that arent interested in either railjack or eidolons, since they can ignore RJ and get arcanes by doing simple endless ground missions, you know the reason why most people play WF.

1 hour ago, Vit0Corleone said:

Maybe both concepts will come go live eventually. The first shown link just would fit for an operation, it would however fit with the general RJ concept when it spans to more planets. I wouldnt be surprised if we get a squad link system tied to earth and venus proxima (when it releases), where the ground missions take place on the PoE and in OV while being tied to specific nodes in those proximas. I prefer it to not be everywhere and part of everything, it makes it less tiresome, repetative and overdone.

Well I guess this first operation is part of that war. As in all wars things come in stages. It also ensures that the community is focused and not spread out everywhere. It also gives DE more options to make different types of events over time that arent all about squad links and railjacks (hopefully).

1 hour ago, ArturiaFayth said:

Tennocon AND a few other devstreams and prime times as they showed of new things and works in progress is where i got my info from. As for the earliest it was shown aside from tennocon that i can remember, it was on a devstream where they showed railjacks in combination with the lich system. You got to the ship of the lich, it had a shield, the ground squad had to destroy the thing on the planet so that the shields got removed and then you would go on with beating the lich inside of the ship.

I think that was just because it was WIP and they had to show it off somehow. Everything in the latest devstream was done independent of a friends list or clan, it was all done through the different consoles in the relay, both when it came to grouping up and when it came to being the "commander" handing out provisions to different space or ground teams.

6 hours ago, sitfesz said:

This event will be spamming 1 mission out of 2 over and over again until we burn out/get the currencies needed.

Isn't it wonderful that we can then just proceed to do the other 50 activities the game has to offer?

If you prefer to grind your arcanes differently, Eidolons are that-a-way. Isn't choice the most amazing concept?

2 hours ago, moostar95 said:

I don't care for event. Im playing other games until that new frame comes out. I suggest other burnout vets to do the same. I'm good on arcanes and anything railjack related is a good sign for me to take a break. 

Lmao, like grinding for a new frame will reduce your burnout. Just take a break while you're ahead. 

You people who grind yourselves into burnout are just fascinating to me.

4 hours ago, o0Despair0o said:

I expected nothing and I'm still let down.

Lmao. Your disillusionment is entertaining.

Edited by Ikyr0

bit soon to call it a disappointment when we haven't really gotten to experience anything of it yet. the Anomaly ship was just a small taster of what is to come, and after Scarlet Spear, the Sentients will react to their failed expedition into the solar system. right now Erra is confident, but we won't be able to see how he approaches the Tenno or how the narrative unfolds until after our first major clash with the Sentients.

2 minutes ago, Ikyr0 said:

Isn't it wonderful that we can then just proceed to do the other 50 activities the game has to offer?

If you prefer to grind your arcanes differently, Eidolons are that-a-way. Isn't choice the most amazing concept?

Indeed.

Plus there's the whole fact that each side of the event is very different from each other (at least from what we can see, this might age like milk) which means you can switch up how you're farming if you want to which in and of itself is a great improvement from, say, Thermia Fractures or even Hostile Mergers. Honestly, it's a big improvement from most events I can remember.

It's possible each individual side to the whole thing might have its own rewards, but even still, those will probably be baseline rewards like Dog Days.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

Indeed.

Plus there's the whole fact that each side of the event is very different from each other (at least from what we can see, this might age like milk) which means you can switch up how you're farming if you want to which in and of itself is a great improvement from, say, Thermia Fractures or even Hostile Mergers. Honestly, it's a big improvement from most events I can remember.

It's possible each individual side to the whole thing might have its own rewards, but even still, those will probably be baseline rewards like Dog Days.

Dude I'm pumped for this event. Screw ground assault, I'm going full Railjack on these mothertruckers. I'm JACKED on RAILJACK.

Edited by Ikyr0

13 minutes ago, Ikyr0 said:

Not wonderful and amazing, because I'm already done farming those activities and pub trilodon sucks ass.

It wasn't the point of my comment anyway.

Edited by sitfesz
  • Like 2

5 minutes ago, Ikyr0 said:

Dude I'm pumped for this event. Screw ground assault, I'm going full Railjack on these mothertruckers. I'm JACKED on RAILJACK.

I've freshened up my Railjack's look in anticipation. I was going for a somewhat banged-up, muted look before, and it was nice in its own way, but I gotta look my best when headlining an assault on a Sentient war... vessel? (Do Sentient ships count as vessels? I mean, they're alive in their own right, so would they be soldiers?)

3 hours ago, ArturiaFayth said:

Yeah, I really hope that eventually gets implemented, but only after they fix the kuva lich farmland slaughterhouse. 

Edited by (NSW)FlameDivinity

I'm hoping the New War continues on the story and isn't just a temporary mode with a repetitive cycle of missions. They've shown the potential to have some really cool cinematics as well as new fights and gameplay elements. Since nightwave changed alerts it would be cool to see the usual invasions be replaced by the Sentients. In general I learned a long time ago to not overhype things, it's good to be excited but realize it might not be the exact thing you wanted and expected. It's also worse when regular games do it since you have to pay up front just to be disappointed, at least in a free game you don't stand to lose anything but a bit of time. As a side note I hope the pandemic going around doesn't drastically affect the development of The New War or what it may bring. 

To everyone that seems to only want to bash DE, compared to some decisions I've seen made by other developers DE seems to be doing just fine. Even other free to play games will do things like sell something, then sell an improved version later with no way to trade up or not balancing the old thing so it's still able to hold it's own. Warframe has prime weapons and frames, but they're available to earn in game without spending anything. That's not the case in other games I've played, if you want something premium you're going to have to pay a premium price. And other games have removed things instead of fixing base issues. DE has at least tried to fix certain things and if people want to nitpick specific problems then they can. 

Gameplay wise Warframe has some of my favorite combat for this genre. Other games like Destiny feel too much like they just made a shooter, then tacked on powers as after thoughts. This you can rely on powers and melee weapons more than guns, so comparing it to other looter shooters doesn't really hold up. There's not the same loop as other looter shooters where you use a weapon for a few levels, that weapon is then bad because you've leveled up so you have to get a new one. Destiny is another example of overhyping something then having it fall short on release. "It's a good game, if you buy all the dlc," doesn't make it a good game. One thing I will always give Warframe is that it's free so we don't have to pay for anything extra, unlike other games that will nickel and dime for add ons that don't do enough. People seem to want it all, wanting this free game to have AAA story telling while also not paying for the extra content added. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, Loza03 said:

I've freshened up my Railjack's look in anticipation. I was going for a somewhat banged-up, muted look before, and it was nice in its own way, but I gotta look my best when headlining an assault on a Sentient war... vessel? (Do Sentient ships count as vessels? I mean, they're alive in their own right, so would they be soldiers?)

😂

21 minutes ago, moostar95 said:

I'll rather grind for a new frame that has the potential to be played for hours by me. I barely touched railjack since I've returned from my six month "break" from the game. I've only came back due to DE'S amazing mainline update. Who are you to decide on how I play this game?

But you're the one complaining. So I get to comment on how you play.

8 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

That demo was tossed together the day before the showing, it wasnt even planned to be shown at tennocon 2018, they didnt even know it was ready to show until the second they actually showed it. They even told it to the audience from the stage. That was a very early idea of the whole thing they wanted RJ to be.

They shouldn't have shown them anything if they didn't know what it was going to be or what they had the capability to make it be. Anthem was completely roasted by the media and all news outlet for doing a LOT less than that and showing stuff in an E3 demo that turned out to not be in the game. That's false advertisement, doesn't matter if the game if b2p or f2p. 2019 Tennocon wasn't any different. DE really need to tone down their promises and hype machine on Tennocon. I know it's what gives them the most money and new subscribers (they said as much in an interview a year or two ago), but I mean... what this year's Tennocon will be like? We still didn't get stuff that was shown in 2018's Tennocon, then 2019 showed it again, we barely got the first rough draft of it... this year they'll show stuff that will be in the game by 2023 or something? They need to slow down. 

7 hours ago, sitfesz said:

This event will be spamming 1 mission out of 2 over and over again until we burn out/get the currencies needed.
The changes will be the new objective with sentient enemies on Earth, and new objective with sentient enemies in railjack.

Will be buggy as hell, prices will be insane, but will be reduced halfway due to community outrage. Just ordinary stuff.

The releasing process is already started, because they already made the first step of releasing underwhelming content: Delayed it.

LOL. It will 100% be this. I'll probably have fun with it though. I'm one of those that actually really enjoyed Plague Star the first couple times. 

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, --END--Rikutatis said:

Anthem was completely roasted by the media and all news outlet for doing a LOT less than that and showing stuff in an E3 demo that turned out to not be in the game. That's false advertisement, doesn't matter if the game if b2p or f2p. 2019 Tennocon wasn't any different. DE really need to tone down their promises and hype machine on Tennocon.

Exactly. I'd rather get a simple update that has lots of replayability than something that is.. ambitious like railjack, but greatly underperforms if it's even functional at launch.  Players will understand if something simply isn't ready, but releasing it in a raw state like that isn't acceptable, nor is it to be in a semi-baked state months later...

• Like 2

14 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

That demo was tossed together the day before the showing, it wasnt even planned to be shown at tennocon 2018, they didnt even know it was ready to show until the second they actually showed it. They even told it to the audience from the stage. That was a very early idea of the whole thing they wanted RJ to be.

Even more of a reason to not have shown it if they had to rush to put together a demo for it being that they've been talking about it for such a long time 

• Like 2