Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scarlet Spear is a reflection on the state of the game.

20 minutes ago, alchemi80 said:

This thread is only 1 page and there's a lot more being mentioned than just scarlet spear. My point still stands.

Literally neither of those points are relevant to the fact that it is impossible to wait six months to play an event that is set to end in four weeks.

• Like 9

2 hours ago, SneakyErvin said:

That to me is more than reasonable if you take into account where those arcanes usually come from in the game.

So the basis for this being fine is that the spot they usually come from is a worse grind, filled with RNG loot tables full of useless trash arcanes?  Oh, and it's time-gated so that only people who have time to sit on the game all day (and actually want to drop everything to go run tricaps during the limited time they're available) or people that get lucky and have their schedule sync up with the night rotation can even access it.  It's slightly better than that, so it must be fine.

"This turd sandwhich is fine because the bread is usually moldy."

• Like 9

Look. I'm normally pretty optimistic about things. I genuinely enjoy Railjack, and am patient through most bugs. Hell, when this event works properly, I even kind of enjoy it, if only for the sense of being a part of a larger whole. I like to role play, at least to a degree, and this kind of event really helps with that.

I GET that the game needs to be grindy. I accept that, and find the fun that I can.

… but even I get a little pee'd off when, despite doing four full runs, topping that flotilla's leaderboards, throwing out reinforcement beacons between missions, we get to 100 and I watch, with several others, as it hits 100, and we all share a round of 'GG', 'GJ' and generally share a job well done. I had a nice talk, some nice comradery, and it was a nice time, all things considered. Get the message that I've received my victory bonus... and there isn't any credit payout in it. 

Yes, it wasn't all for nothing. Yes I did get a payout from the actual runs themselves, but frankly? Knowing that I SHOULD be getting more, that I earned that bonus. I, and my team, carried a fourth of that flotilla and that because of some godforsaken bug that I already reported yesterday? DESPITE a hotfix happening earlier today? That strikes a nerve.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Teridax68 said:

Literally neither of those points are relevant to the fact that it is impossible to wait six months to play an event that is set to end in four weeks.

That is the dumbest part ever. The better arcanes are awaiting for a stress test, but the ending of the event is set on stone. Just amazing thinking.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Philogosten said:

Uh thats not actually hard at all. It would take me maybe 4 days total to do that. If you have easily adjustable ini files like Xcom 2 then it would take me 2 days.

Oh yea, because coding it's all about changing values on a INI file. LMFAO

• Like 4

20 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

You realize when using an engine (3rd party or in-house) you already have a lot of table sheets and text files where you usually fine tune values for convenience right? people at DE are most likely working with those kind of files and not adding another 3000 lines of code every time they prepare a content update or patch, hell, you can see how Evolution Engine resembles current UE4 by looking at some streams where Steve has shown his terminal even while messy you can see stuff like blueprints or nodes connected, coding is not all about changing values at the beginning but once you set up your constants and variables you don't set them up every time, you make callings and checks, Warframe is not Yandere Simulator.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

No but based on what it is and being they can set these values and Change them fairly easily they are just variables after all. And the only thing that could take long is Likely compile times and repacking  and even then it's a hot fix not a mainline were talking about so yes in this instance it's like changing values on an Ini file...

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

No but based on what it is and being they can set these values and Change them fairly easily they are just variables after all. And the only thing that could take long is Likely compile times and repacking  and even then it's a hot fix not a mainline were talking about so yes in this instance it's like changing values on an Ini file...

Have you coded a game? I'm making my own game since a few months by now.. Pretty sure isn't just changing values when you try to balance things who are interconected ina  really deep manner.

3 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

Have you coded a game? I'm making my own game since a few months by now.. Pretty sure isn't just changing values when you try to balance things who are interconected ina  really deep manner.

I have made 3 2 2d platformers in unity with my current team and I a. Working solo in unreal for my horror game called fraile. In terms of changing set variables such as a price or any other thing in such yes it's that easy. And even if your working in pure c++ or c# or whatever language you choose it's STILL that easy. It's all depends on how organized or optimized your code is our how near your setup is for node/visual scripting. So again the answer is yes. Changing a variable such as a price in terms of balance is that easy 

Edit these variables are probably setup very easily and I highly doubt it takes that much effort to rebalance the price for items 

Edited by (PS4)sweatshawp

26 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

You realize when using an engine (3rd party or in-house) you already have a lot of table sheets and text files where you usually fine tune values for convenience right? people at DE are most likely working with those kind of files and not adding another 3000 lines of code every time they prepare a content update or patch, hell, you can see how Evolution Engine resembles current UE4 by looking at some streams where Steve has shown his terminal even while messy you can see stuff like blueprints or nodes connected, coding is not all about changing values at the beginning but once you set up your constants and variables you don't set them up every time, you make callings and checks, Warframe is not Yandere Simulator.

Yeah, I know, but "just changing values" for over 300+ items (just weapons), 42 frames, arcanes (because arcanes are affected on that equation too), companions and also having in mind every type of enemy on every faction, things get a lot more complicated rather just chaning values and expecting nothing will mess up. Poeple need to understand how coding actually works instead comparing it to changing values on a INI file (a glorified .txt)

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

I have made 3 2 2d platformers in unity with my current team and I a. Working solo in unreal for my horror game called fraile. In terms of changing set variables such as a price or any other thing in such yes it's that easy. And even if your working in pure c++ or c# or whatever language you choose it's STILL that easy. It's all depends on how organized or optimized your code is our how near your setup is for node/visual scripting. So again the answer is yes. Changing a variable such as a price in terms of balance is that easy 

Edit these variables are probably setup very easily and I highly doubt it takes that much effort to rebalance the price for items 

cool, can i check your games?

Edited by xHeretic
typo

4 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

Yeah, I know, but "just changing values" for over 300+ items (just weapons), 42 frames, arcanes (because arcanes are affected on that equation too), companions and also having in mind every type of enemy on every faction, things get a lot more complicated rather just chaning values and expecting nothing will mess up. Poeple need to understand how coding actually works instead comparing it to changing values on a INI file (a glorified .txt)

That's what calls and checks are for, again, as much as WF can have spaguetti code you can still do several searches and checks once you have them all set up, they use LUA scripting if I remember correctly, when I used to make Battlefront 2C mods I recall using Class Parents which are what it says, for example, you can have shotguns as class parent, those would have all required parameters for that weapon class, then you use a different file for Corinth for example, do a call for class parent and only input the necessary changes without having to specify all of them, you could basically make an ODF (object definition file) which may even be like 5 lines of code for changing the values which differ from its class parent.

17 hours ago, FLSH_BNG said:

The DEv's have fallen into a bit of a hole recently where they're trying to please as many players as possible at quickly as possible. so they've begun reaching further out instead of deeper in.

Since The Sacrifice, and perhaps even before; DE has tried to make efforts to both appeal to newer players while also pleasing veterans with each content update. While they could make it easier on themselves in the short and long terms by alternating such content releases and giving each one the dedicated attention it needs, they've grown accustomed too much to trying everything at once and their ambition is starting to bite back.

They haven't gotten the balance right, trying to find the right amount of time and effort needed for new players to still get cool things while also providing enough of a challenge for players that are already at the top of the game and won't be leaving anytime soon.

I'm not sad to say that I've avoided new content for the first few days or even weeks for the last while as I wait for things to get patched. But to know that this has become the norm really should be worrisome.

It's become most apparent since Railjack content was introduced, as a new game mode that was intended to be available in one sense or another to everyone, where before it was always intended for the more dedicated and experienced players. And while I personally see nothing wrong with trying to get more people into the game, it seemed to me like it was always the extant playerbase that helped bring in and keep new arrivals to Warframe. Trying to take the community's hand off that particular wheel and steer it themselves, I feel like DE has taken something away from themselves more than anything else, and that is a certain security in the knowledge that the players they have now intend to stay...
It just seems as though someone somewhere has decided to make a decision for themselves alone instead of in the best interest of the game and it's players and DEv's.

Last time they got anything right bar Eidolons(which are still full of bugs) was Second Dream.

• Like 9

47 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

I sent you a pm about it! 

I was replying you and the mesagge is gone, i was saying something like "ty very much, I was afraid you could think I was pulling your leg with that question, because I'm genuinelly interested on see your games even if we disagree", clicked "submit" and then error and the pm is gone 😞 I wasn't able to even copy the names, if you could reach me again i will be very grateful, since I'm trying to learn from  other indie devs experiences and projects (not ripping off tho, im'm nowhere near an horror game, i'm still on the early stages of a survival game)

54 minutes ago, VanFanel1980mx said:

That's what calls and checks are for, again, as much as WF can have spaguetti code you can still do several searches and checks once you have them all set up, they use LUA scripting if I remember correctly, when I used to make Battlefront 2C mods I recall using Class Parents which are what it says, for example, you can have shotguns as class parent, those would have all required parameters for that weapon class, then you use a different file for Corinth for example, do a call for class parent and only input the necessary changes without having to specify all of them, you could basically make an ODF (object definition file) which may even be like 5 lines of code for changing the values which differ from its class parent.

I know, but even with that i'm pretty sure they also has to test (basic test, then we as beta testers enter on the stage) all of the interactions of those changes, even if they are 5 lines, think about 5 lines * 500+ items (counting everything who needs balance, it's an app number pulled out of my ass since there are like 300+ weapons and so on). And we are doing a lot of speculation on that tho, even if we know the language we don't know how the code is handled at all (as it should be tho). But I understand more clearly now both points of view.

14 minutes ago, xHeretic said:

I know, but even with that i'm pretty sure they also has to test (basic test, then we as beta testers enter on the stage) all of the interactions of those changes, even if they are 5 lines, think about 5 lines * 500+ items (counting everything who needs balance, it's an app number pulled out of my ass since there are like 300+ weapons and so on). And we are doing a lot of speculation on that tho, even if we know the language we don't know how the code is handled at all (as it should be tho). But I understand more clearly now both points of view.

I think you are underestimating them a lot, I am not even praising them but this isn't even a brand new game, they have been doing this for years.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, (PS4)sweatshawp said:

No worries usually people try to ask me the same questions and then when I actually show them they block or ignore me so I usually just remove them from my messages. Dm me on Instagram @onecitgo and we can go from there 

I don't use isntagram but I'm gonna check out from there, since I can view it anyaway on the navigator. I was playing and left the navigator running and I was "wtf a lot of replies" but that were your pm. Ty!

EDIT: I sent you a PM.

Edited by xHeretic