Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

A nekros rework idea: the true nekromancer

(NSW)Mystc

The current problem with nekros is his playstyle is turn on 3, and that's it. His other abilities range from completely useless, to a big hinderence to the team (though that's more of a ui problem). So here's my idea on making him better, while still keeping his concept intact.

First his passive, the single most forgetable ability in the game. It restores health when enemies are close, but a good nekros won't even notice because desecrate is restoreing so much health to begin with, and there's never a reason to not have desecrate up. The change is simple: make desecrate his passive. 50% chance of extra loot from corpses, 75% chance corpses also drop health orb, 20m range, all stats unaffected by mods. Now his passive has an actual effect that's obvious instead of being overshadowed by an ability.

Before we talk about his first ability, let's talk about how his shadows work, because they're going to be central to his kit now. Any shadow created will have its level equal to the enemy it was made, multiplied by nekros's strength, and a duration of 60 seconds, affected by duration, maximum 12 shadows per nekros can be active at a time. They will also have a unique health bar color, something that really should be in the game to begin with, in order to reduce team frustration when nekros decides black, or other low saturation colors, is a good energy color.

Changes to soul punch are simple: up its damage to 750, if target is below 30% health, it's an instant kill, and if the target dies, they become a shadow. Augment also gets a change where if you use it on an ally when they aren't down, creates a shadow of them for 15 seconds (duration). Soul punch isn't necessarally bad, just why use it when a gun does the job faster. Well now there is a reason.

Next up is terify, and again, a simple change: if nekros kills an enemy affected by terify, they become a shadow. More or less just turn it from a panic button, into a way to build your army of shadows.

Now an ability to replace desecrate, and I may have just the one:

Feast of shadows: nekros consumes the souls controlling the shadows, restoring health, and can exceed max health (if not possible, excess health converts to sheild, and can give oversheild).

Energy: 25 (efficiency)

Health per shadow: 100 (strength)

Augment: bountiful feast - allies within 5/10/15/20 meters get 25/50/75/100% of the ability's effect.

Adds some survivability, so hopefully sheild of shadows isn't needed as much, and with the augment, nekros can be played as a support frame if you really want to.

Now for shadows of the dead, which might actually need a new name with the changes being made, but I can't really think of any. If you have less than 6 shadows active, generates from most recently killed enemies until you have 6. Refreshes the duration on active shadows, and increases their level by 2 (strength). With his 1st and 2nd abilities now able to create shadows, this needs a bit of an added function beyond creating shadows, and since it's currently impractical to keep refreshing shadows in long missions, it should be able to be making them stronger as its new use.

This wasn't meant as a complete revision with completely new abilities that drastically change his playstyle and role, just expanding on what he has, making everything useful in some way, and opening a new playstyle without sacrificing his current role as looter. Any thoughts on this would be nice though, and might make him even better should any tweaks actually happen to nekros.

1 hour ago, (NSW)Mystc said:

50% chance of extra loot from corpses, 75% chance corpses also drop health orb, 20m range,

Thats pretty big for a passive, maybe 25% each

up its damage to 750, if target is below 30% health, it's an instant kill, and if the target dies, they become a shadow. Augment also gets a change where if you use it on an ally when they aren't down, creates a shadow of them for 15 seconds (duration). Soul punch isn't necessarally bad, just why use it when a gun does the job faster. Well now there is a reason.

No, why use it when you can just use a charged slam attack! Its definitely a waste of energy at the moment in every single way

The damage and instant kill sound nice. I know Garuda can do it too but shes the only frame currently so im cool with another. Plus this is ranged where hers is melee ranged (basically)

For the augment, kinda cool but i think the current augment is better

if nekros kills an enemy affected by terify, they become a shadow. More or less just turn it from a panic button, into a way to build your army of shadows

Sorta better,

fear proc still needs a limit to how far enemies runaway imo. Its frustrating when they all hide in rooms on defense missions.

nekros consumes the souls controlling the shadows, restoring health, and can exceed max health

Kinda cool, And yes its possible, chroma and Wisp currently are able to do it.

I think his current 4th is cooler tho. Id rather Desecrate consume souls when the button is held and Terrify affected enemy kills give him his shadows for his 4th ability (for better control).

Nekros current state to me is a 7/10 and i think your rework would take him to an 8.5/10 for me. Fixed 2 of my problems with him, but missing the other 3 i have with Terrify and Shadows.

1.) Terrify makes headshots harder

2.) Terrify makes ememies run too far away

3.) Shadows block shots

Id rate 9.5/10 if a way was found to fix those problems, 10/10 of its something new/coolish

11 hours ago, (PS4)IIFrost_GhostII said:

Thats pretty big for a passive, maybe 25% each

No, why use it when you can just use a charged slam attack! Its definitely a waste of energy at the moment in every single way

The damage and instant kill sound nice. I know Garuda can do it too but shes the only frame currently so im cool with another. Plus this is ranged where hers is melee ranged (basically)

For the augment, kinda cool but i think the current augment is better

Sorta better,

fear proc still needs a limit to how far enemies runaway imo. Its frustrating when they all hide in rooms on defense missions.

Kinda cool, And yes its possible, chroma and Wisp currently are able to do it.

I think his current 4th is cooler tho. Id rather Desecrate consume souls when the button is held and Terrify affected enemy kills give him his shadows for his 4th ability (for better control).

Nekros current state to me is a 7/10 and i think your rework would take him to an 8.5/10 for me. Fixed 2 of my problems with him, but missing the other 3 i have with Terrify and Shadows.

1.) Terrify makes headshots harder

2.) Terrify makes ememies run too far away

3.) Shadows block shots

Id rate 9.5/10 if a way was found to fix those problems, 10/10 of its something new/coolish

I have an idea what if the shadows could be shot through and were transparent. And what if the passive could also work on the shadows as in. Once they turn into a shadow then the shadow dies they have a 25% chance of dropping loot? Then terrify also slows their movement speed as well.

Edited by weeaboopotato
  • Like 1