Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why not even one melodic and harmonic music?

Pertev

The question about the music in Warframe comes again, but this time a bit different by considering the culture aspect.

So I ask you. Is there someone else who thinks that the music of Warframe lacks of melody and harmony. There is no single tune in this game which have melodies with harmonic segues.
Especially the music in the sacrifice quest, where you finally synchronise with Excalibur Umbra, is a bit disappointing and sounds more like a commercial ad, when you consider that game is about ninjas, ninjas are Japanese shadow warriors and Japanese music often sounds melodic and harmonic.

Hints: This is a hard question only people with good feel of music and culture can understand, for people who play an instrument, composing music or are culture (self-)educated. No offend.

Edited by Pertev
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Pertev said:

So I ask you. Is there someone else who thinks that the music of Warframe lacks of melody and harmony.

No, not really.

The music in Warframe is very varied. You go from "We all lift together", which is a perfectly normal harmonic song with extremely strong melody, to "The Second Dream" and "This is what you are", which have a more atmospheric feel but are still perfectly melodic and harmonic, all the way to the in-mission soundtrack.

It is true that the in-mission soundtrack tends to be more atmospheric and, thus, is very light on melody. They remain however usually quite harmonic - think, for instance, of the arpeggios that characterize the Corpus soundtracks such as "March of the MOAs" or "Corpus Greed".

So... I don't know. You say that you find that the music lacks of harmony, OP. What piece are you thinking of? You mentioned The Sacrifice, but... I don't know... I just listened to "Take your Pain Away" and it is perfectly harmonic. Do you have any particularly non-harmonic piece of music in mind?

• Like 1

vor 9 Minuten schrieb Pr1A:

In my opinion music (and sound design in general) are one of the few things that DE consistently nails.

Sound design? Yes! 

But Music? 😦Oh my god what kind of boring life are you living? 😨 And what kind of people are liking your comment? 😱 What is wrong with you all?! 

I bet you lying to yourself

vor 2 Minuten schrieb Dhrekr:

No, not really.

The music in Warframe is very varied. You go from "We all lift together", which is a perfectly normal harmonic song with extremely strong melody, to "The Second Dream" and "This is what you are", which have a more atmospheric feel but are still perfectly melodic and harmonic, all the way to the in-mission soundtrack.

It is true that the in-mission soundtrack tends to be more atmospheric and, thus, is very light on melody. They remain however usually quite harmonic - think, for instance, of the arpeggios that characterize the Corpus soundtracks such as "March of the MOAs" or "Corpus Greed".

So... I don't know. You say that you find that the music lacks of harmony, OP. What piece are you thinking of? You mentioned The Sacrifice, but... I don't know... I just listened to "Take your Pain Away" and it is perfectly harmonic. Do you have any particularly non-harmonic piece of music in mind?

Oh my god. Warframe community is full of emotionless players. 😨😓😭

But I forgot the "We all lift together", which is pretty good. I give a point for that. But the rest? It isn't all about atmospheric. And yes I mean the tune "Take your Pain Away". It sounds like a commercial ad. No segue! 😢

13 minutes ago, Pertev said:

But Music? 😦Oh my god what kind of boring life are you living? 😨 And what kind of people are liking your comment? 😱 What is wrong with you all?!

I mean, a good soundtrack doesn't necessarily need to be "grand" and epic all the time. Soundtrack's primary purpose is to create mood and ambience. A lot of games get it wrong and resort into constant dramatic, orchestral swells even when there's not really anything super special going on. Dramatic is no longer dramatic when it becomes the default.

Edited by Guest

Gerade eben schrieb Pr1A:

I mean, a good soundtrack doesn't necessarily need to be "grand" and epic all the time. Soundtrack's primary purpose is to create mood. A lot of games get it wrong and resort into constant dramatic, orchestral swells even when there's not really anything super special going on.

No grand and epic scores. I'm speaking of long melodies with harmonic segues. Perfect for cut scenes and lobby areas.

Cetus for example had a very boring ambient music. It is now a bit better, but it can be better and should get better.

31 minutes ago, Pertev said:

No grand and epic scores. I'm speaking of long melodies with harmonic segues. Perfect for cut scenes and lobby areas.

Cetus for example had a very boring ambient music. It is now a bit better, but it can be better and should get better.

Well I guess it kinda also depends on how important you think the music is to the overall experience. I usually play WF as something of a chill, "semi-AFK" thing, dropping into a mission every now and then and often alt-tabbing to do something else, usually having Spotify or something running anyway so the in-game music doesn't really matter that much

However, I'd never do that when playing something like DOOM or Nier Automata (probably my favourite VG soundtracks ever even though they are pretty much the polar opposites of each other) since their music are such a big part of the experience.

Edited by Guest

Am 26.3.2020 um 16:29 schrieb Pr1A:

Well I guess it kinda also depends on how important you think the music is to the overall experience. I usually play WF as something of a "semi-AFK" thing, dropping into a mission every now and then and often alt-tabbing to do something else and so usually have Spotify on running anyway so the music doesn't need to be super amazing.

However, I'd never do that when playing something like DOOM or Nier Automata (probably my favourite VG soundtracks ever even though they are pretty much the polar opposites) since their music is such a big part of the experience.

music is very often a big part of the experience and Warframe did it just once with "We all lift together" and dropped that again. I can't here the best part of the music in the ambient tune

Edited by Pertev

• 2 weeks later...
Am 27.3.2020 um 09:01 schrieb Iamabearlulz:

You really don't appreciate the tracks like "This is What You Are" or "Red Broth"? I have to wonder what you want out of the music, if the current (and very thematically appropriate on all occasions) music isn't enough for you.

Well my response come late but at least I do. 

So I listen to "This is What you are" and Red Broth". "Red broth" is just to dark. There is no hope to feel in the melody. But "This is what you are" is good but not good enough, even worse is that this music appears almost nowhere expect for the Second "dream quest".

At least "Ghost of void" works at least pretty well for the Orokin Towers

But what I really want are music with melodic highlights and basslines. 

some brass or a contrabass would rounding the tension up