Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Could Warframe learn a thing or two from DOOM: eternal? (slight rant)

5 minutes ago, Hypernaut1 said:

Saying "hey this feature is cool" is different from "Warframe is basically trash and these games do it far better" rants I've been seeing. 

Do note that the OP did not in fact call Warframe "trash" or anything to that effect, or even really cast the game in an especially disparaging light. They are merely suggesting that the game could improve in certain ways by means of comparison, which is perfectly reasonable given that a) anything can improve, and b) the comparison is largely valid. More common than the comparison threads I think are the people overreacting to them, interpreting any comparison on any level with any other game as some kind of attack towards Warframe that needs to be valiantly defended against at all costs.

It is also worth noting that Warframe is uniquely positioned to improve as a live service game: whichever bugs or lacking features in Megaman were accepted because the game was sold as a finished product, and so was not expected to change through anything than the release of a new game. In return, though, that product went through significantly more degrees of design, balance, and testing, so that the finished product would be as stable and polished as possible. By contrast, Warframe has been in a constant state of change since its release, which is what's kept it running since, particularly as many of its rather rough features have been improved or build upon. If the developers were to decide the game doesn't ever need to improve, and chose to never add or change any content, it would die out. Thus, treating Warframe like some old-school physical copy game makes strictly no sense, and we should instead be harnessing its potential for change as best we can, in this case by asking ourselves how it can address some of its shortcomings by means of comparison.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, 844448 said:

This is the thing, with your medium and hard, how do you scale enemy level compared to ours? With enemy scales to match or higher, how high is it when we wipe out level 100 despite being only level 30?

Then, what kind of "amazing rewards" are you talking about? Try defining it first because my immense power to wipe level 100 is my amazing reward for my effort and your extreme mode is already here long time ago called nightmare mission if you don't know about it

At medium, the enemy scale is equal to ours in that they do require some strategy to take out, can deal a reasonable amount of damage that makes us want to keep moving in order to stay alive, but no where near one shot levels, and is somewhat challenging. This also allows for players to re-visit earlier planets that had low level enemies as they would be scaled to match our power. Basically, it would work like medium modes in other games. Hard mode would tip the balance to the enemies' favor and put more pressure on us. How it would be more challenging could go multiple ways. Maybe enemies spawn more often? Higher health pools? Requirement of quick reflexes and a strong understanding of the game's mechanics to take advantage of certain strategies? It could be one or a combination of many things. The point of difficulty settings would be to (a. provide challenge to players that have played for a long time. (b. reward player's skills by increasing rare drop chances, drop rates for resources, can provide more xp to help level things up faster and reduce grind. (c. provide more replay-ability to the solar system. Nightmare mode does still exist, but that would be for the classic mode (what I originally called easy mode but realized that was wrong and disrespectful to call the game that). Though, it still could be part of the difficulty setting as a higher level of difficulty.

As for the rewards, I don't really have a particular idea for high level rewards. However, I'm certain we as a community or DE themselves could come up with some good ideas. 

You don't mind with removing some mods? Are you sure you won't complain losing your mods and say DE doesn't respect player's investment and such later? Because if I ever see you complain about it, I can remind you that you are the one who didn't mind about it

Also, turning hit-scan weapons into projectile weapons? Try playing archwing on low level and try for yourself the feeling of it first where DE already changed all hit-scan archguns to projectile based and tell me how you like it

I would not mind removing some mods so long as afterwards the game is re-balanced to take that into consideration. It would also allow for different builds that don't have the same mods involved all the time and would allow DE to focus on making more augments that freshen up our guns or warframe kit. I am also COUNTING on the fact that you will call me out if I were to go back on what I said. 

In regards to what I said about hit-scan and projectile based weapons: 1) I was thinking of other games such as borderlands 3 that use high speed projectiles instead of hit-scan guns. Not sure using DE's version is the best example. 2) I am talking about ground missions. Archwing is not exactly the best comparison to make seeing as the enemies move extremely fast and can gun you down quite quickly. 

You want to be able to spot the difference? Then that means a massive nerf to our power to the ground to make us aren't any stronger than a grineer grunt to make you see the difference but is that what you want? From omnipotent tenno to a mainstream ground shooter with some movement and unique looking armor where a few bullet are enough to put you down to the ground? Even with different enemy types you won't see much of the difference if you wipe out enemies so fast

That is why I suggested classic mode for people who prefer that play-style. Also, would it be so bad to re-balance our damage output? We can still be stronger than a grineer grunt (which is mainly a trash mob enemy) but we would actually have to consider a plan of attack for different enemy types outside of gun down or spam abilities. We also don't have to be made to be easily taken down after a few shots but there needs to be a balance here. 

16 hours ago, 844448 said:

You see the kuva weapon complain about having to put 5 forma to reach level 40? You want that again on our warframes? Also, removing the ability to affect efficiency doesn't matter when you have squad energy restore, energizing dash and trinity with energy vampire and that would make it like before where trinity becomes a mandatory frame to bring

Currently forma is needed to allow for mods to fit in our mod slots. One of the main reasons I hate current forma is because every time you apply one, it resets all the progress you made back to zero. My version lets you keep your stats and continually increase them up to a certain point. Also, without an affinity booster, it takes a long time and usually results in players going to hydron. Difficulty settings can reward you with more affinity the harder it is to reduce the grind. Most importantly, forma right now just changes a polarity. Mine boosts stats and potentially can do more depending on how far someone wants to take it.

As for efficiency, there would need to be a re-balance in how one gets energy. Maybe removing some options and increasing drop chances for energy orbs or something. My idea is only a draft that didn't include what to do about the energy economy. But there would be big changes needed.

19 hours ago, Radiofloyd said:

I disagree with your base idea. What doom eternal proves is that you can design actual interesting enemies to fight, even while giving the level of power WF gives the player (with a bit of a difference because warframe abilities). Being a power fantasy does not exclude, imo, a game from being required to be interesting in gameplay, as much as in preparation. Warframe excelled (new status made it less interesting) in the preparation aspect, but the most efficient way to play it trivializes entirely all challenge and gameplay. In the meantime, DOOM Eternal makes you feel like a killing machine, without sacrificing the challenge fighting enemies efficiently brings. 

Slayer in Doom Eternal is as killing machine as a Graineer grunt fighting infested.