Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

THE BROKEN WARFRAME WON...

3 minutes ago, TheGodofWiFi said:

Its stupid to give one small group of nobodies the power to choose things like this because they usually choose stupid stuff when the vast majority of people would have voted for the concepts that were genuine and had effort behind them.

Then blame DE for making the DC in the first place, not the DC for making this decision!

You think I asked to be a Councillor? You think I paid for this spot like some of the Founders did? I was PICKED at RANDOM, and as a Councillor, literally nothing changed! I play the game like you guys, I buy plat like you guys, and the DC barely got touched in between this and that one time we designed custom Alerts back when Alerts were a thing, but when people started hating on them, DE threw us under the bus, "cut ties" with us, and we barely got talked to again.

I'm not a "nobody", I'm just like any other guy who plays this game. We were given a poll out of TEN choices. TEN out of hundreds of other, probably better, Warframe themes. DE decided to pick the "Broken Warframe" theme, and I voted for it because it was THERE. Fast forward a few weeks, and suddenly we're the bad guys for being the people DE listen to instead of everyone else. You wanna be mad? Fine. Just don't be mad at us, because as far as I'm concerned, we were involved in like 5% of this. The artist still has to make art, DE still has to give the WF a name, a passive, abilities, etc. And none of that is going through the DC. Only the theme. And y'all still wanna get mad. 

• Like 7

11 hours ago, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

It's preferential treatment to a group of players, something DE already had done with that Lotus group they got heat for. Decisions should be made by all players or just by DE, not some pre selected group. 

With respect to you....That is bullcrap.

The DC wields no power at all and the simple fact of the matter is that your random Twitter follower to Steve's account or a Random Big-Name Youtuber wields vastly more power than the entire DC combined.

You are so strapped for relevant examples that you now compare a group that clearly and regularly power-tripped to a group that every few years gets to make the final decision on which item in the game gets made first (sometimes).

You, as a regular forum goer, leverage vastly more power in the game's direction than a DC member on that forum ever could tbh.

12 hours ago, (PS4)DoctorWho_90250 said:

Again, because of you guys we won't get the other frames players have spent time designing. 

Personally, I read the things you say and it sounds to me like, "The idea I liked/supported/made didn't win...It's the Design Council's fault."

FWIW, If DE likes an idea they will make it regardless of whether it wins a competition or not. We have a number of frames and weapons that support that fact.

Likewise, It could be that whatever idea you liked/supported/put forward was either derivative or just absolutely sucked...You ever stop to consider that? You'd have gotten further, imo, by posting whatever idea you had or supported and asked for constructive feedback from the players on it instead as that is how you better submissions in the future happen.

Ultimately, there's jack you can do about it as it's the natural result of contests...1 Winner and a Bunch of Not-Winners.

Write a letter and post it to the devs instead if you are that up-in-arms about it.  

• Like 2

23 hours ago, LascarCapable said:

A lot of you are missing the hidden potential a "broken" theme can get.

Instead of imagining a walking meme, imagine a grotesque looking warframe with somehow an even greater killing potential, barely able to walk yet somehow insanely powerful. Something that sees its flaws as perfection. One of the most dangerous thing in the warframe universe because it literally affects the fabric of reality. And could have to fight and seal that bloody thing as a quest.

Thinking memes is the only way you can go for "broken warframe" concept is a fallacy. That theme has potential. It just has to be done well.

Maybe the theme matches the timing. To add a quest for Duviri Paradox, which I believe is set in the Void since we saw the Zariman Ten-Zero adrift there.

22 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Most themes are 'meh' when you get down to it.

I mean, Wisp is literally 'Frame that uses portals and teleportation to pretend to be a ghost'. That's about the same caliber as a lot of the themes presented. We have two 'illusionist' frames, many of our frames have the most generic 'elemental' themes, Gauss's is literally just 'fast boi'...

Themes without context are always bland.

This is true

But in ghe context of warframe what could a broken warframe even be?

Cant be an umbra because they said they arent doing more umbras as of yet

The only possible in universe context for a broken warframe is the transformation went wrong

But if that's the theme they go with then isnt that basically just nidus?

I wanted a plant based frame so its not like im salty the one i wanted dodnt get picked because it wasnt even a choice

But there were other themes that were far more workable imo

I mean calligraphy frame literally could have been writing in orokin and he could have been and orokin battle field messenger

Wasp frame could have been taking advantage of some of the fact that planets were terraformed and some new insect symbiote evolved and took over a soldier that was being used during the warframe experiments

Like the other frames had options with story telling

Broken frame seems like it kinda is just ganna be gimmicky and out of lore

Using your example, wisp is using in lore syfy to be the way she is

I dont see it with broken warframe

11 hours ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

Then blame DE for making the DC in the first place, not the DC for making this decision!

You think I asked to be a Councillor? You think I paid for this spot like some of the Founders did? I was PICKED at RANDOM, and as a Councillor, literally nothing changed! I play the game like you guys, I buy plat like you guys, and the DC barely got touched in between this and that one time we designed custom Alerts back when Alerts were a thing, but when people started hating on them, DE threw us under the bus, "cut ties" with us, and we barely got talked to again.

I'm not a "nobody", I'm just like any other guy who plays this game. We were given a poll out of TEN choices. TEN out of hundreds of other, probably better, Warframe themes. DE decided to pick the "Broken Warframe" theme, and I voted for it because it was THERE. Fast forward a few weeks, and suddenly we're the bad guys for being the people DE listen to instead of everyone else. You wanna be mad? Fine. Just don't be mad at us, because as far as I'm concerned, we were involved in like 5% of this. The artist still has to make art, DE still has to give the WF a name, a passive, abilities, etc. And none of that is going through the DC. Only the theme. And y'all still wanna get mad. 

"I voted for it because it was there"

Im not trying to be rude

But why specifically did you vote for broken warframe

If the only reason is that it existed as a choice

Then there were also 9 other choices that were there

Were there any other specific reasons you picked broken warframe?

• Like 2

12 hours ago, (PS4)LeBlingKing said:

Same here, I'm part of the DC and mostly I ignored it, cuz it's filled with a bunch of meta-only players or memers. (not saying you are king). But no one  took this thing seriously and all they cared about was making a "wow funny meme". I mean, really, an frame based on "epitome of making a bug a feature". Christ people.

I voted and wanted the hacking frame myself, but nope, gotta go with the memes and people say this game still stands high. Hell I feel sorry for the guy who MADE THE IDEA. Heck, I can props try find him and share my ideas to go with his

Edited by Circle_of_Psi
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, (XB1)WhiteKnightBlsm said:

This is true

But in ghe context of warframe what could a broken warframe even be?

Cant be an umbra because they said they arent doing more umbras as of yet

The only possible in universe context for a broken warframe is the transformation went wrong

But if that's the theme they go with then isnt that basically just nidus?

I wanted a plant based frame so its not like im salty the one i wanted dodnt get picked because it wasnt even a choice

But there were other themes that were far more workable imo

I mean calligraphy frame literally could have been writing in orokin and he could have been and orokin battle field messenger

Wasp frame could have been taking advantage of some of the fact that planets were terraformed and some new insect symbiote evolved and took over a soldier that was being used during the warframe experiments

Like the other frames had options with story telling

Broken frame seems like it kinda is just ganna be gimmicky and out of lore

Using your example, wisp is using in lore syfy to be the way she is

I dont see it with broken warframe

Thought 1: Ordan Karris frame. Rebecca mentioned him in the impromptu devstream, mentioning that many of the most powerful beings in the Warframe universe are broken like he is. That doesn't really go into the 'making a bug a feature' angle, granted, but it's one possibility.

Thought 2: physics manipulator frame. Leaning more into the 'glitch' side of the equation, imagine a frame who's powerset was the video game glitch version of the mask comics (not the film, the way darker and gorier comics where the cartoon physics only apply to the mask wearer and everyone else reacts exactly how you would expect when an anvil falls on them). He can bend, twist and distort himself to make impossible movements, clipping in on himself and enemies, and because he's somewhat exempt from the laws of physics, he's fine. His victims? Not so much.

Thought 3: corrosion and decay. Everything breaks down over time - Warframes are no exception. This frame has the ability to share that reality through with his victims, be they muscular degeneration, shattered gears, broken bones, or simply running out of lifespan. A frame that manifests the destructive power of time as it wears down and 'breaks' everything.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-26 at 6:43 PM, Blexander said:

So, the design counsel is also incredibly uncreative. Good to know. Well, see you guys in 7 years when "lighbulb frame" becomes the next "community made" frame.

Desingn council created nova. Design council created many augments. 

I wouldnt say they're not creative. 

But, dc is region prime. 

They dont actually give us the chance very often. AND you forget someone from de reada through the suggestions and picks some out. They did say the warframe team voted on their ten favorites so while yes there were some great suggestions, if there are any you think are lackluster you can put that blame on the de people that put them in the vote or voted for them to be in the poll we got to choose from .

Kthnxbye 

1 hour ago, PookieNumnums said:

Desingn council created nova.

7 years ago. How many of them have stopped playing the game since?

1 hour ago, PookieNumnums said:

They dont actually give us the chance very often. AND you forget someone from de reada through the suggestions and picks some out. They did say the warframe team voted on their ten favorites so while yes there were some great suggestions, if there are any you think are lackluster you can put that blame on the de people that put them in the vote or voted for them to be in the poll we got to choose from .

On 2020-03-27 at 12:43 AM, Blexander said:

So, the design counsel is also incredibly uncreative.

Keyword: also. I'm putting the blame on both parties. DE is to blame for cherry-picking themes, while being very disingenuous by calling it a "community-made frame". The design council is to blame for not protesting the horribly lackluster themes, and still picking the broadest and least concrete theme, all because it's a meme. I honestly don't want another, potential, thematic disaster like Revenant.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Thought 1: Ordan Karris frame. Rebecca mentioned him in the impromptu devstream, mentioning that many of the most powerful beings in the Warframe universe are broken like he is. That doesn't really go into the 'making a bug a feature' angle, granted, but it's one possibility.

I've been thinking a lot about this side of concept lately. In such a screwed up place as the Origin System, becoming powerful often comes at the cost of breaking oneself in some way. We can make a curious list characters, involving breaking in different approaches.

Spoiler

Suda - got her memory damaged which pushed her to become a powerful cephalon

Karris - basically got his personality ripped off and turned into a cephalon

Twin Queens - got their trust in Orokin broken and led the Grineer rebellion

Limbo - physically broke (i.e. exploded) in search of ways to become stronger

Revenant - got his resolve broken and succumbed to his curiosity which led to his transformation

Valkyr Gersemy - was broken mentally from torture becoming vanilla Valkyr

Umbra - got broken mentally as a part of becoming a warframe

Rhino Prime - broke out of his cage, kickstarting Transference project as a result

Harrow - got his operator physically and mentally destroyed and turned into ash in the process

Gara - sacrificed herself to achieve victory

So what should the history of a broken warframe be, to make it even more broken?

Perhaps we could combine most of the above in one to make it ultimately screwed up? Maybe it was just like Umbra and was left with a singular memory to fuel its agression as a warfame, but something went wrong somewhere in the process of it becoming a warframe, resulting in it breaking physically. Maybe the Void energy from a Tenno controlling it took its part, making it glitch in and out of material plane.

Besides, what was left in Umbra that prevented his sanity from completely breaking? Why didn't he become mindless like other frames? Well my thought on this is that Ballas made a mistake during his creation, by involving himself and his personal revenge into it. So the singular memory of Umbra included also his only goal - kill Ballas. That what made him remain in control over himself. Same thing with Stalker, he remains sentient because he has a goal to achieve - kill the Tenno.

But what if there wasn't such goal? What if the only thing that was put inside the persons mind is despair and thought of how wrong they are? That would break them for good, if they are left face to face with their regrets. Maybe that would be a good background for a broken warframe?

A completely and utterly twisted thing, fractured, assymetrical, uncontrollably switching planes, barely able to walk and with it - totally insane and morally destroyed; and what we would have to do is kill this thing for good and make a warframe from what remained of it.

• Like 1

On 2020-03-27 at 1:12 AM, Redfeather75 said:

I'm actually shocked it was chosen, because it was suggested as something to represent how broken (bugged) warframe (the game) is.

I think they misunderstood the theme. The original post was a meme entry related to bugs and glitches, but when Rebecca talked about it on stream, they seemed to interpret it broken as in shattered, broken inside, not broken op/glitched/bugged.

broken warframe???

i would imagine a regular frame being totally glitchy looking (maybe let him use all warframe skins)

he could be looking like any warframe you want but with his own skill set and that glitchy look in the video

Edited by Tsoe

2 hours ago, Blexander said:

7 years ago. How many of them have stopped playing the game since?

Emails aren't sent out to DC members to urge them to vote...So the answer would be: None.

Likewise, the DC is also the group that voted to have Equinox created although everyone and their mother seems eager to forget that fact.

2 hours ago, Blexander said:

Keyword: also. I'm putting the blame on both parties. DE is to blame for cherry-picking themes, while being very disingenuous by calling it a "community-made frame". The design council is to blame for not protesting the horribly lackluster themes, and still picking the broadest and least concrete theme, all because it's a meme. I honestly don't want another, potential, thematic disaster like Revenant.

And that blame would still be misplaced...Blame the person who put the idea up to begin with. 

You've been here long enough to know that stray commentary has a strange habit of getting acted on here.

One would imagine that players going the better part of a year with the clunkiness of forced auto-blocking would be lesson enough.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Padre_Akais said:

And that blame would still be misplaced...Blame the person who put the idea up to begin with. 

You've been here long enough to know that stray commentary has a strange habit of getting acted on here.

One would imagine that players going the better part of a year with the clunkiness of forced auto-blocking would be lesson enough.

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you saying? Are you telling me I should blame the person who put out the idea for the Broken frame during the Open Call for their lackluster idea being picked? Because that's a fallacy and it's incredibly dumb. Or are you telling me that I should blame just the person who came up with the idea to do the Open Call, which is also incredibly dumb, because the entire staff (or just the higher-ups at least) has to agree to greenlight the event?

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Blexander said:

I'm sorry, but what the hell are you saying? Are you telling me I should blame the person who put out the idea for the Broken frame during the Open Call for their lackluster idea being picked? Because that's a fallacy and it's incredibly dumb. Or are you telling me that I should blame just the person who came up with the idea to do the Open Call, which is also incredibly dumb, because the entire staff (or just the higher-ups at least) has to agree to greenlight the event?

Maybe...

Please understand though that I think blaming others for not protecting you from someone else's stupidity to be the height of foolishness here though.

It's should be common knowledge by now that DE is reading and there is no guarantee what they will act on...as it's been that way for years now.

There isn't a soul that saw that Broken Warframe was added in the contest that didn't know it would likely win. Because it is precisely the kind of thing that would win in a contest here.

That said, DE may have an outrageous idea for it which is why they included it... who knows?

All I'm telling you is that if you are going to point fingers then you need to be prepared to point all of them.

Don't be so picky.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Blexander said:

Nah, you should blame DE.  We only got 1 vote session for 10 items.  

You're made that Broken won?  Out of all 682 votes, there were 536 against the idea.  The majority of votes didn't want the damn thing either.

In previous voting sessions, the options were narrowed by and we would have up to 4 rounds of votes before settling on one.  We weren't given that option this time.

• Like 6

I have to admit, even though it might encroach on nidus and I have no doubt this is NOT what they were thinking

because the warframes are bioweapons, I was kind of hoping to see one that mutated uncontrollably and became "broken" like G-virus berkin or nemesis.

just overly mutated strains causing what would have been rejected frames ( iirc there is room for this in the lore ) 

like I said, I doubt this is what anyone would have thought of, but when I was trying to think of how to make this concept actually badass, I thought of the T-virus and G-virus when they get into overly mutated states. 

7 hours ago, MagPrime said:

Nah, you should blame DE.  We only got 1 vote session for 10 items.  

You're made that Broken won?  Out of all 682 votes, there were 536 against the idea.  The majority of votes didn't want the damn thing either.

In previous voting sessions, the options were narrowed by and we would have up to 4 rounds of votes before settling on one.  We weren't given that option this time.

You could've lead with that to begin with.