Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Viral Damage

Felkyrie

Question

I just got a quick question about The new Viral damage.  I understand it increases damage to health of the target but I was curious does it mean the base damage or the overall damage.  Some factions have those +/- damage factors for various damages and I can't figure out if the Viral proc overrides these or adds to them and in what way.  The way I see it no matter what kind of -damage% a faction has viral would always give you a +damage increase regardless +/- chart begging the question why would you us anything but viral element with the expection of heat/corrosive for armor reduction.

9 answers to this question

2 hours ago, taiiat said:

as aforementioned, it's simply an overall Multiplier.

When it says it applies to health, does that mean just red health, not shields or armored enemies? I've tried looking around but haven't found any good explanations of how exactly it works.

36 minutes ago, dormerXL said:

When it says it applies to health, does that mean just red health, not shields or armored enemies? I've tried looking around but haven't found any good explanations of how exactly it works.

Way i've understood armor is damage does still affect their red health bar but you can't see it directly so long as the target has armor (yellow bar).  as for shields while you can see the red health bar with the exception of damages like toxic or slash which go through shields the viral proc shouldn't give bonus damage to shields and will have no effect till you destroy the shield first.

Edited by Felkyrie

20 minutes ago, Felkyrie said:

Way i've understood armor is damage does still affect their red health bar but you can't see it directly so long as the target has armor (yellow bar).  as for shields while you can see the red health bar with the exception of damages like toxic or slash which go through shields the viral proc shouldn't give bonus damage to shields and will have no effect till you destroy the shield first.

not exactly - viral proc damage which affects health (red) under armour protection (yellow) still gets to damage the health, but the armour presence decreases that damage with its damage reduction. that means, that with heavy armoured targets (or scalable), the viral will fall off drastically compared to corrosive.

12 minutes ago, tzadquiel said:

not exactly - viral proc damage which affects health (red) under armour protection (yellow) still gets to damage the health, but the armour presence decreases that damage with its damage reduction. that means, that with heavy armoured targets (or scalable), the viral will fall off drastically compared to corrosive.

That is if you don't have slash on the weapon(or hunter munitions).If you do those slash procs are multiplied(and they ignore the armour completely) directly and viral does way more damage.

tl;dr for the op if you can do slash go viral now

but this is if you consider only levels from 100 to 300-400
above that I think health is pretty big and armour strip(from a warframe or shattering impact)+viral+heat+slash is mandatory
I don't want to go on hours of survival to check tho, is someone has done it, let him speak.

Edited by vegetosayajin

7 hours ago, dormerXL said:

When it says it applies to health, does that mean just red health, not shields or armored enemies?

anytime you are dealing Damage to an Enemy that its Shields have been depleted.
Armor is irrelevant(for this) because we're always Damaging Health, Armor is a make believe layer on top of it.

no matter what, applying a Viral Status means double of whatever Damage you were dealing already, when you're hitting not Shields.