Dante Unbound: Known Issues ×
Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Split Flights does not work on the Artemis bow or explosive bows [Dev Response]

TheFalseEclipse

Message added by Marcooose

Dear PC Tenno,

Today Baro Ki’Teer brought back the Split Flight Mod that was leaked a few months ago when it wasn’t quite ready yet. At that time, we were working on the Kuva Bramma concept internally and knew this Mod would cause some issues, so we held the Split Flight Mod back.
The Split Flights Mod, upon hit, drastically increases multishot while reducing accuracy for a short duration for bows. Making this Mod pretty powerful in the right moment!

Split Flights is not compatible with Crossbows, the Lenz, Ivara’s Artemis Bow or the Kuva Bramma. This is intentional and completely our bad for not exposing that truth beforehand.

While bows like the Lenz and the Kuva Bramma see plenty of use across the board, they already vastly outperform regular bows in terms of multishot and AOE damage. Split Flights give these regular bows a chance to still be viable options to fit your playstyle by increasing multishot. Extra multishot for the Kuva Bramma or the Lenz would remove any realm of choice for what bow to equip, as they already do an incredible amount of multishot! 

Sorry for any confusion this may have caused!

2 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

Today Baro Ki’Teer brought back the Split Flight Mod that was leaked a few months ago when it wasn’t quite ready yet. At that time, we were working on the Kuva Bramma concept internally and knew this Mod would cause some issues, so we held the Split Flight Mod back.

The Split Flights Mod, upon hit, drastically increases multishot while reducing accuracy for a short duration for bows. Making this Mod pretty powerful in the right moment!

Split Flights is not compatible with Crossbows, the Lenz, Ivara’s Artemis Bow or the Kuva Bramma. This is intentional and completely our bad for not exposing that truth beforehand.

While bows like the Lenz and the Kuva Bramma see plenty of use across the board, they already vastly outperform regular bows in terms of multishot and AOE damage. Split Flights give these regular bows a chance to still be viable options to fit your playstyle by increasing multishot. Extra multishot for the Kuva Bramma or the Lenz would remove any realm of choice for what bow to equip, as they already do an incredible amount of multishot! 

That explains the Lenz/Bramma, but not Artemis Bow. That bow relies entirely on putting as much multishot on it as possible, and comes with Ivara whether you want to use it or not, so it isn't competing for a weapon slot. I see nothing in your post that explains it not being allowed on the Artemis bow.

Also, given how severe the accuracy loss is when using Split Flights, what bow(s) was this intended to be usable on? Because the only bows that can equip this mod rely on pin-point accuracy to deal damage. 4 extra projectiles means nothing if every single one of those projectiles doesn't hit, though even getting to 4 stacks at anything farther than melee range is proving difficult. And even if they hit, 7 body shots is still often less damage than 3 headshots, given the interaction between headshot multipliers and crit multipliers.

Overall, this is a mod that had potential to be interesting, but you (speaking to DE/the design team, not you personally) decided that it would only apply to weapons that can't even use it effectively.

Now, if Thunderbolt was actually a good mod, and scaled with the weapon and build instead of doing a tiny amount of flat damage, then maybe Split Flight could have an interesting interaction with it on the few bows it works on.

But instead, we get a mod that isn't even worth the endo needed to rank it, let alone the 15 capacity needed to slot it in, and no justification for its existence.

So please, take this feedback back to the people who gave you (now speaking to you personally, not DE) this 'explanation' for what was done, and tell them they need to fix the problem.

To be perfectly clear, I actually feel sorry for you, the individual, because you have to be the public face of the current issue, even though you had no say in its creation. It's a tough job, one that I could never do. You have to bring BS explanations for bad decisions to passionate, angry fans who know that it's BS, and then deal with the fallout, all while making your bosses happy. That's tough.

So please understand that some of us, including myself, don't see you as the bad guy in all this. We just want a justification for releasing bad content, and we would like to get it 'straight from the horse's mouth', but that's not how PR works and that's not how the gaming industry as a whole works, so we have to go through you instead. And while I know there are many gamers out there that don't see that divide or don't understand it (I've seen some bad interactions some PR people have with angry fans), I hope that those of us who do differentiate between the company and its PR workers can make the job a little easier.

Also, a shout-out to Sara from Gears for Breakfast, who was the one to help me understand the PR system more fully, and to the entire DE PR staff, for putting up with all the crap on both sides.

• Like 7

30 minutes ago, Psik0x said:

the mod clearly states it can be install in any bow [except crossbow], regardless i cant use it in the kuva bramma.

You can’t use it on kuva Bramma or the lenz or the Artemis bow/prime this was done on purpose and is not a bug.

3 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Like you ever "expose truths" about the game's mechanics, at any time whatsoever.

This mod is dead on arrival, like 95% of the mods you've released since the Acolytes first appeared in Shadow Debt, especially weapon augments. You spent all that time on a mod that would be stillborn the moment it released.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, fr4gb4ll said:

it does not work on the bramma, the lenz and not on the 3 crossbows either (even though they do sport all the bow mods and uses arrows too).

i sure hope that is a mistake or else i feel pretty much cheated by this mod... if some weapons are not viable to a mod sold by baro it should be clearly stated this way.

Nope this is on purpose.

1 minute ago, Cryssoberyl said:

Like you ever "expose truths" about the game's mechanics, at any time whatsoever.

This mod is dead on arrival, like 95% of the mods you've released since the Acolytes first appeared in Shadow Debt, especially weapon augments. You spent all that time on a mod that would be stillborn the moment it released.

Works really well on the Mutalist Cernos and while I haven't tested it myself it is OK on the Cernos Prime so it isn't so much DOA as it is super niche at the moment.It should definitely be allowed on crossbows and probably Artemis Bow as well though.

I suggest creating a new "Artillery Bow" and "Crossbow" classes of weapon to better differentiate normal bows, crossbows, and the Lenz and Bramma. Having all three share some mods and not others with no immediately obvious rhyme or reason to the player is a recipe for disaster in terms of players understanding the system!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

Are you planning on giving me my ducats back in place of the mod? I only bought it for my Ivara. If not, then why wasn't this revealed ahead of time? Nowhere on the mod does it explain if it doesn't work with certain weapons and such.

• Like 2

I gotta agree. I bought this specificaly for bramma, because neither the Lenz or Bramma are crossbows.

If it's not going to work on them, tell us.

That's the real bug then. Description should instead read "Does not apply to crossbows or Explodybows"

Edited by Moto42

4 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

Why is Split Flights so badly balanced then?

Currently it is mutually exclusive with Split Chamber. That means your first shot has 0% multishot, second shot has 100% multishot, and only your third+ shot are a real increase over Split Chamber. So Split Flights goes 0%/100%/200%-300%, while Split Chamber is always at 90%. Split Flights doesn't even see a actual damage increase until the third shot, which is major when bows all tend towards a "one shot one kill" approach.

A further problem is this ignores the crippling -180% accuracy debuff Split Flights is saddled with in combination with the 'buff' only lasting 2 seconds. Realistically most of the bonus multishot will be spent hitting the environment unless you are literally touching enemies, while the player is stuck rapid firing so they even have the multishot buff. Most of the multishot is wasted though, and the hamstrung buff duration means a player needs to be hectically constant firing (leading to lower damage due to less/no headshots and not fully charged shots).

This is even worse because the alternative of Split Chamber just always gives 90% with no debuff. Split Flights as it stands currently is a massive DPS and usability loss compared to Split Chamber, in return for letting the Mutalist Cernos tank performance with its 0 damage fart clouds.

Bows are already pretty mediocre in Warframe. Locking Split Flights to only work on the Paris series, Dread, Daikyu, Mutalist Cernos, and Cernos series is kind of silly (most crossbows are likewise mediocre), and saddling it with a 327% heavy caliber penalty per stack with only a 2s stack window kneecaps the mod.

As an aside, look at the Daikyu. At base it takes 1.6 seconds per arrow. Using this mod asks that a player either sacrifice 1-2 entire mod slots for reload speed + fire rate, or that a player never misses a single shot to be able to use this terrible mod. The stack window should not be so punishing.

• Like 3

I bought it thinking of the lenz and the brahma, since what other bow can stack 4 hits in under 2 seconds? then to find out after that even though it says doesn't apply to crossbows (though it'd be great for the zhuge and might make that fun to use) it also doesn't apply to the only bows that I can see justifying the 15 point cost of the mod? I would like my prime parts back that i traded for the ducats specifically to get this mod. Of course I didn't screen shot the before and after of the transaction so I'm screwed anyway. How about you take the mod back, refund the upgrade costs, and give me plat in place of a ducat refund as there was literally nothing else I was remotely interested in. Or, make it work on all bows instead of simply being an over-priced hunk of digital junk like covert lethality has become?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

Are you kidding me?! As a dedicated Ivara main with over 1,600+ hours played on Ivara alone, Artemis Bow still remains today as my most favourite "bow" weapon. And there's absolutely nothing in your post which gives a good valid reason for barring Artemis Bow for being in that special exclusions list.

Artemis Bow has never been considered a top tier exalted weapon compared to the other exalted weapons available. Artemis Bow is stuck as being the only primary exalted weapon to this date and primary weapons have always been falling behind the secondary pistol counterparts and can't realistically hope to compete with the power scale of melees (largely due to the mods). Artemis Bow has always been lacking behind the other exalted melees (it could never realistically compete with any exalted melee weapon users and the exalted secondary users usually perform better than the one exalted primary user, in terms of damage).

No one ever says "man Artemis Bow is top tier exalted weapon worth your time!". No, the more common viewpoint spoken about Artemis Bow has already been spoken about in this thread and I'll just quote it in bold below:

3 hours ago, Zsword said:

I'd appreciate some elaboration on why Artemis is excluded as well, it's already a fairly underutilized tool in Ivara's kit as by far the weakest exalted weapon, costing a ton of energy for very little gain, and is already a barely utilized tool in her kit as far as I've seen; most people play her exclusively for prowl and quiver to work in Spy vaults, or pickpocket extra loot from uncommon spawns. It's actually gotten to the point where I found myself low-key -judging- someone for using Artemis cause it's kinda trash.

I don't care about the user calling my favourite bow weapon trash anymore and this becoming the "common viewpoint on Artemis Bow" from most players. @[DE]Marcus I care more about the fact that you guys have done NOTHING to address Artemis Bow being power-crept to oblivion. in today's "current warframe" game setting Artemis Bow has been under-performing compared to other weapon options for a long while. Maybe a long time ago Artemis Bow used to be considered a "super bow" of a weapon, but that time has long passed on Artemis Bow. Artemis Bow can kill enemies between level 1 to 100, but so what? ANY WEAPON can kill enemies between level 1 to 100 without any real trouble given the new enemy scaling re-balance, and they do that job MUCH more efficiently than Artemis Bow (any "former trash melee" can out-perform Artemis Bow today with less forma investment. But none of the melee today are really trash anymore as well).

The only major "gimmick" that Artemis Bow had that might have attracted users to it, was that it used to be the only bow with innate multi-shot built into it... until the Cernos Prime came along, so Art-bow wasn't even a "super cool" bow for that long.

There's even been a bug that I've been trying to get your developers to look at and examine with Artemis Bow's status chance that was posted weeks ago during the Warframe revised update, and it still hasn't been addressed:

Also, apparently Artemis Bow's concentrated arrow augment was also trashed in the AOE explosion revised changes and you guys as usual, are ignoring it and sweeping it under the rug.

I honestly couldn't care less about the bloody Kuva Bramma, this weapon has single handily driven away one of my favourite Ivara main friends from playing the game in its current state. I miss that friend badly, but I can't blame them as well for being completely unhappy with the AOE spam, the power-creep and poor balancing going on in the game currently. Give Artemis Bow some slack, or its going to fall further behind its other exalted weapon users.

Sheesh, I feel like nobody on the balancing side of the dev-team even looked at some of the quality of life suggestions that one of the largest Ivara threads was bringing up when it was made months ago, ahead of her prime release:

• Like 3

5 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

Perhaps next time, make a sticky note or message yourself if this kind of change occurs so you remember to tell us. This isn't the first time you guys haven't communicated changes to stuff like this, and its starting to get incredibly tiresome.

• Like 1

While I understand the concern about game balance if Split Flights could apply to certain bows, the decision to make this mod not apply to all Bows is a huge disappointment to me. Yes, I enjoy using my Bramma. Yes, I was massively looking forward to using Split Flights on my Ivara's Artemis Bow. I understand the need for game balance and how difficult it must be to strive for it with so many weapons available. I even understand that not all mods work on all weapons within their weapon category.

This mod was anticipated before the Bramma came out. A decision was made to move forward on the Bramma which seems to have a cause an effect interaction with Split Flights. If it was allowed on the Bramma it would so clearly outperform any other bow in the game hands down. Ivara's Artemis Bow already has a base arrow count of 7. At 400% multishot it would then have an arrow count of 35. Both cases call for legitimate examination of the mod and how it would interact with each and every bow.

So there are two categories of choices that DE has. While I'm certain they discussed and possibly even tested out potential alternatives, they released it under the choice of excluding which bows it can apply to. I believe there was a better choice. Apply a damage penalty depending on the weapon. If the code allows for a penalty to be applied to only specific arrows (the arrows generated by multishot), this becomes even better.

For all bows that it can currently be applied to, there is no damage reduction needed, but for the Kuva Bramma, if each stack of the buff came packaged with a negative 10% damage buff, then you're getting more damage but it is less for each arrow you fire. At 4 stacks, 4 of the 5 arrows fired are being shot at 60% damage. For the Bramma, this damage reduction paired with the AoE damage falloff would significantly mitigate it's overall damage potential. It would actually help bring the Bramma back a little by having the spread of arrows functionally create a small area of carpet-bombing and the damage falloff would be better distributed.

For the Artemis Bow, I believe this would work as well but with a higher damage reduction applied. If you had a 20% damage reduction per stack it'd look something like this:

With a total base damage of 1680, each arrow is doing 240 damage. Adding another set of arrows would make 14, but 7 of those arrows are doing 216 damage instead for a total of 3024 (1680+1344). If we get another stack then it becomes the base damage of 1680 plus the negative 40% applied to all other arrows which would be 2016 for a total damage of 3696. Four stacks would be 1680 + 1344 to make 3024. Wait... Why would be ever want a weapon that does less damage the more you shoot it? Status procs. It becomes a versitile bow that can get a lot of hits even if the per arrow damage isn't as good.

By adding a unique damage penalty to certain bows you can still control the damage output significantly without restricting its use completely while also opening up new build possibilities.

Split Flights still has a massive amount of potential if you examine alternate ways to balance across the bows. Hell, you could tie in, or completely use, each bow's Disposition to help inherently balance the effect of the mod on any given bow. The stronger the disposition, the less damage penalty it has, but with a weaker the disposition, the damage penalty grows substantially. This also would be dynamically applicable as balance passes happen and newer, potentially stronger, bows are released

DE, please re-examine this mod and look into methods of controlling the effect of the mod across all bows instead of simply removing it from being used on bows that aren't weak. We already have a disposition system in place to help weaker weapons perform better. We don't need another mod which functions as a riven that's not a riven.

EDIT: Forgot a word.

Edited by blindedTrickster

Il y a 6 heures, [DE]Marcus a dit :

Dear PC Tenno,

I can understand the reasoning for Bramma Lenz , but why the hell the already underused and mostly underpowered crossbows (Who can BE USED IN BOW Sorties ) arent getting it.. oh yeah because it could have 400MS.. but be so innacurate that you wouldnt be able to shoot. Why the hell also artemis BOW doesnt work. .oh yeah I forgot it is coded diffèrently, but does work like cernos prime (on which the mod works). Artemis bow is already underused

Your team need to consistent with all the systems in the game and stop putting more and more exceptions because New players would struggle understanding why it doesnt working

I feel really bad for everyone that bought the mod.. it is clearly lying and misinformatiom

Edited by MunsuLight
  • Like 5

6 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

So what's the reason for it not working on Artemis bow? As far as I can tell barely anyone uses it in any meta sense.

Also it does work on the Cernos Prime which has a similar multishot scheme, the only reason I can see it maybe not being able to be used on Artemis bow would be the augment, but even that only works with headshots, vs the other aoe weapons just having aoe on all their shots.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Madway7 said:

So what's the reason for it not working on Artemis bow? As far as I can tell barely anyone uses it in any meta sense.

Also it does work on the Cernos Prime which has a similar multishot scheme, the only reason I can see it maybe not being able to be used on Artemis bow would be the augment, but even that only works with headshots, vs the other aoe weapons just having aoe on all their shots.

Yeah, it works on Cernos Prime (was messing around with a bog standard viral/hunter muntions) - it spread viral status so well on Cernos Prime that I was crying on the inside when I used my "artemis bow" equivalent. Heck, I want my Artemis Bow to proc status like this more frequently, if DE would just simply fix Artemis Bow.

Spoiler
14 minutes ago, BlindStalker said:

Cernos Prime with new Split Flights mod (after a couple of hits) (look at that number of status procs occurring!)

PLdAC0Y.jpg

Meanwhile my own Artemis Bow using the roughly the equivalent mod set-up with hunter muntions (Split chamber in exchange for Split Flights) firing a couple of shots (HA, I didn't even get freaking viral to proc on the enemy, how sad!)

0hfHXZo.jpg

Builds used for this light testing:

Cernos Prime:

TzPsDyY.jpg

Art-Bow:

SGJWLDJ.jpg

Why do you hate Artemis Bow DE 😐 ? I'm so disappointed @[DE]Rebecca

Edited by BlindStalker
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, BlindStalker said:

I don't care about the user calling my favourite bow weapon trash anymore and this becoming the "common viewpoint on Artemis Bow" from most players. @[DE]Marcus I care more about the fact that you guys have done NOTHING to address Artemis Bow being power-crept to oblivion.

I just want to say my statement may of been a bit extreme and I was quoting myself in a moment of weakness, and I always support people playing a weapon cause it's fun. Just, when in the moment, that understanding can slip the mind. You did continue to fortify the point I was intending to address: The Artemis Bow under-performs for its grandeur. (IMO, not just compared to its competition of bows, but to other exalted weapons, no other exalts cost energy per swing/shot.)

When I made my post I had no idea the Cernos Prime had the same multishot dynamic as the Artemis, which makes my main thought of 'maybe it's a coding error' irrelevant. If Cernos P can have it, so should Artemis.

7 hours ago, [DE]Marcus said:

Dear PC Tenno,

If the Cernos Prime can use Split Flights, being an Artemis Bow with a lower base multishot available to everyone, there is NO reason to disallow Artemis Bow from using Split Flights.

If you're worried about Concentrated Arrow, don't.

Concentrated Arrow has always been a bad mod, AOE fallloff has made it even more awful, and having ludicrously reduced accuracy solves its own potential problem by making the absolute necessity of landing them all as headshots borderline impossible.

Also note the Mutalist Cernos permits this mod as well. Constant, hugely dense toxin clouds from the +400% multishot, not only stacking up DoTs so hard I could pretty easily take out a group of unarmoured level 170s in sim with it and Serration alone but those clouds's damage ticks constantly refresh the buff timer, so you're not dumped back at no-multishot whenever you want to switch targets like the rest of the bows are.

• Like 2

Marcus, sorry to say but if you actually think that "Split Flights give these regular bows a chance to still be viable options to fit your playstyle by increasing multishot" then you dont understand bows. Why would i use this instead of Split chamber since they are incompatible, Split chamber is vastly superior as it isnt going to eliminate any accuracy stat you have which is essential with non-AOE bows as you need to go for the headshots/long range shots ideally which will be almost impossible with Split flights especially considering how sensitive to heavy caliber high accuracy weapons are.

I will give you this the cernos prime does benefit allot from this mod, but that is far from being a normal bow (its just a worse artemis bow) and its the only one that benefits (other than mutalist cernos)

the benefit of +400 multishot (if i hit targets) does not out weigh the drawback of not being able to actually hit my shots, especially when i could just use +90 multishot without drawbacks or conditions

Additionally, while bramma WOULD benefit, it would lower your DPS on your first shot, which currently 1 shots any content on the starchart and usually the sortie too so +400 would only begin to matter at high levels at which people would run the BEST not their FAVOURITE so the mod made no impact on the meta (other than mutalist cernos being stupid)

Edited by CephalonLewd
  • Like 2