Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

So, there's a potential Hive-themed Warframe...

(PSN)LoisGordils

So, a few weeks ago, there was a call to the community to brainstorm the next Warframe theme. After the deadline, DE announced the top themes to be considered for the next phase. None of the Warframe themes suggested really interested me, except for the Hiveframe. I’ve always wanted an insect queen Warframe that commands her own swarm of insects (Titania is not this, she’s a fairy). Therefore, I will propose some potential ideas and concepts for Hiveframe’s abilities. I am aware that Design Council has not even voted on a theme, but I still want to express my ideas regardless. For convenience, the frame will be called Hiveframe and the insects Hornets.

The Swarm (Passive): At the start of a mission, Hiveframe always starts with Y number of hornets. The species she starts with can be selected from the arsenal. Each hornet constantly orbits Hiveframe, deterring melee attackers from coming too close and granting a bonus perk dependent on chosen subspecies. The number of hornets (capped at X amount) is shown as a special UI icon and their level scales accordingly to enemy levels.

Abilities:

1.     Vespa Hive: Selecting from several subspecies, Hiveframe injects an egg into an enemy, turning them into a makeshift hive that will spawn hornets. Enemies that have eggs inside them become immobilized and invulnerable. Once hatched, they will swarm around Hiveframe.

a)     There are three possible species to choose from:

·       Venusian: Hornets that thrive on the harsh Venusian ecosystem and use coolant to nurture their young. When orbiting Hiveframe, she gains bonus armor that scales with the number of hornets alive.

·       Ceresian: Adapted to the polluted and caustic environment of the Grineer-dominated planet, these toxic hornets sicken their prey before consuming them. Each Ceresian hornet grants Hiveframe a chance to ignore status effects capping to X% to ignore status effects

·       Martian: Acclimated to the searing deserts of Mars, Martian Hornets speed through the sands, utilizing their colorful wings to reflect sunlight and blind potential prey. When orbiting Hiveframe, Ceresian hornets grant disorient enemies, severely reducing their accuracy when targeting Hiveframe.

b)     With each hornet spawned, the enemy takes X% of their health as True damage, eventually killing them once enough hornets have spawned.

c)     Ability note: You can only have one type of hornet out at any given time. Switching and incubating a different species automatically kills the active hornets. Prompting you to make another hive.

2.     Vespa Strike: Command a hornet to attack an enemy. If the enemy is killed, two things happen: the hornet will move on to the closest enemy and, if the number of hornets has not reached the cap, a new one will spawn from the corpse.

a)     Damage is dependent on species type:

·       Venusian: They have thick armor plating and their stingers deal Puncture and Slash damage to enemies with guaranteed bleed procs. When a Venusian Hornet dies, it explodes, sending sharp pieces of its plating careening towards enemies, knocking them down and dealing damage based on a percentage of the hornet’s health.

·       Ceresian: These hornets deal Puncture and Toxin damage and leave a puddle of corrosive goo when they die that both eats away at armor and slows down enemies.

·       Martian: Their stingers deal Slash damage with a greatly increased chance at critical hits. Additionally, if Martian Hornets are killed, they release a burst of light that blinds enemies in a small area.

b)     Tap to launch individual hornets or Hold the ability to recall all of them back to the swarm. Commanding hornets to strike should not have a cast animation (similar to Molt), they simply home in (keeps the flow of combat). Recalling, however, does have a casting animation.

3.     Vespa Stingers: Hiveframe sheathes her current secondary weapon and begins launching the stingers on her palms as projectiles. These deal Puncture and Toxin damage, while proccing Corrosive and have innate punch-through against bodies. Alt-fire sends a pheromone-infused stinger the sends the swarm into a frenzy: bolstering attack speed, critical damage, movement speed and granting the hornets the ability to proc Corrosive with each attack, however, they become more sensible to damage.

4.     Vespa Swarm: Only usable once the maximum number of hornets is reached, Hiveframe blankets an area with a swarm of hornets for a duration. The ability can be charged to increase the area where the swarm will spawn.

a)     The swarm also deals constant damage to enemies entering the area, reduces their accuracy and has unique effects dependent on chosen hornet type:

·       Venusian: Because of the consumption of coolant and the fact that there are trace amounts in their armor, a Venusian hornet swarm will lower the temperature inside it. Enemies are slowed as there are being picked apart by their sharp stingers. Allies standing inside are fortified with bonus armor and are healed by X amount with each enemy death.

·       Ceresian: The noxious chemicals in their wings poison the air with a lethal gas. Ceresian hornet swarms will constantly eat away at enemy armor while emitting clouds of Gas damage (and proc) that gradually increases in lethality as enemies are inside. Allies standing in the cloud gain bonus Gas damage to their weapons each time an enemy dies.

·       Martian: A mesmerizing display of lights, Martian Swarms tend to confuse enemies into attacking each other when inside the swarm. Allies standing in the swarm are effectively cloaked from enemies. Each enemy killed grants bonus attack speed to allies.

And there it is, my take on a hive themed Warframe. I try to have synergy and also tried to make it as unique as possible. But with over 40 different Warframes, it is very hard to avoid overlapping with other frame kits. Thank you for reading😊

• Like 1

I like the idea of infesting enemies to spawn hornets. I feel you might be better served by allowing for multiple different types of Hornets at a time though. 

The overal lkit feels too reliant on having the hornets available and if they can die to enemies then I'm not sure how reliable the entire kit will be as a result if you might struggle to make your ultimate.

This is still an interesting kit though, I really like the overall idea. The direction you've taken in terms of infecting enemies inspires me to start a fresh kit along a vaguely similar direction.

28 minutes ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

I like the idea of infesting enemies to spawn hornets. I feel you might be better served by allowing for multiple different types of Hornets at a time though. 

The overal lkit feels too reliant on having the hornets available and if they can die to enemies then I'm not sure how reliable the entire kit will be as a result if you might struggle to make your ultimate.

This is still an interesting kit though, I really like the overall idea. The direction you've taken in terms of infecting enemies inspires me to start a fresh kit along a vaguely similar direction.

Hey! Thank you for your input! 🙂

I don't touch numbers, because DE always use their own values for everything, but by scaling with current enemy levels, the hornets should be quite durable. 

I thought of having multiple species be used at once, but then it felt overpowered. Not to mention it kinda beats the purpose of having different species for different purposes, would create conflict with passive attributes and wouldn't do well with the ultimate 😕

Just now, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Who wants to tell him that Broken won.

To be honest I was wondering if we were allowed to. Regardless it's fun to theorycraft concepts. It's not like any fan concepts were going to get in purely on their own even if Hive had won.

3 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Who wants to tell him that Broken won.

1 minute ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

To be honest I was wondering if we were allowed to. Regardless it's fun to theorycraft concepts. It's not like any fan concepts were going to get in purely on their own even if Hive had won.

So the worst theme won? Even the ballerina one was a better choice -_-

Oh well, hopefully someone at DE likes the idea of a hive/insect themed Warframe.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

Oh well, hopefully someone at DE likes the idea of a hive/insect themed Warframe.

Yeah, it's not like such an idea hasn't already been done to death aswell. Some themes you'd barely need to discuss with the community for all the ideas that have already beed put forward by us.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, (PS4)LoisGordils said:

They were all boring/lame choices. So naturally people chose the meme option because it’ll at the very least be interesting to see.

Edited by (XB1)GearsMatrix301
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

They were all boring/lame choices. So naturally people chose the meme option because it’ll at the very least be interesting to see.

Calligraphy, Kamiatachi, Hive and Ballerina weren't exactly terrible though. Hell, my Ballerina concept I posted a while back was really original in my opinion and would have been fun at least. But let's not hijack this post eh?

10 minutes ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

Calligraphy, Kamiatachi, Hive and Ballerina weren't exactly terrible though. Hell, my Ballerina concept I posted a while back was really original in my opinion and would have been fun at least. But let's not hijack this post eh?

He always hijacks posts while making zero creative contributions to the forums. I don't mind him hehe

37 minutes ago, (XB1)GearsMatrix301 said:

Personally I'm rooting for Gargoly , I want to see the reaction of the Comunity for " Gargoyle Frame , " being the winner of a desing context where a lot of people went up and created art or kits to hopefully increase their chances of winning. 

As far as the warframe is concerned as much as generaly dislike exalted weapons. I actively like this one because it does something that cannot be achieved by a standard weapons , namely commanding the swarm. 

As far as the rest kit is concerned it is fine. Personally it is precisely whar I don't want. I would prefer to have a first skill that summons small stuff , second skill flies around and spreads the small insects , 3 skill summons big insects , 4 skill command stick.

Edited by keikogi

50 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Personally I'm rooting for Gargoly , I want to see the reaction of the Comunity for " Gargoyle Frame , " being the winner of a desing context where a lot of people went up and created art or kits to hopefully increase their chances of winning. 

As far as the warframe is concerned as much as generaly dislike exalted weapons. I actively like this one because it does something that cannot be achieved by a standard weapons , namely commanding the swarm. 

As far as the rest kit is concerned it is fine. Personally it is precisely whar I don't want. I would prefer to have a first skill that summons small stuff , second skill flies around and spreads the small insects , 3 skill summons big insects , 4 skill command stick.

The poll was already finished yesterday. You might have noticed if you are on that thread but DE Helen has already confirmed publicly that Broken Warframe won. I also hate to brek it to you but Gargoyle had the second least amount of votes. Only Morpheus did worse.

Edited by (PS4)CrysJaL

1 hour ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

The poll was already finished yesterday. You might have noticed if you are on that thread but DE Helen has already confirmed publicly that Broken Warframe won. I also hate to brek it to you but Gargoyle had the second least amount of votes. Only Morpheus did worse.

Hadn't the faintest clue ot had finished. I usually fallow that kind of stuff trough reddit. But reddit was flooded yesterday with scarlet spear complaints so there was no way these results would make into the front page of the subreddit.

The broken theme will awards us at least a meme at most a something new and good. I have not the faintest clue of his abilities because broken is quite a broad umbrella.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, keikogi said:

Hadn't the faintest clue ot had finished. I usually fallow that kind of stuff trough reddit. But reddit was flooded yesterday with scarlet spear complaints so there was no way these results would make into the front page of the subreddit.

The broken theme will awards us at least a meme at most a something new and good. I have not the faintest clue of his abilities because broken is quite a broad umbrella.

Mr fodder

• Like 1

3 hours ago, (PS4)CrysJaL said:

How does fancy writing make an interesting Warframe? 

The flying weeb fox thing just sounded like it was going to be a knock off Garuda.

The hive theme has been suggested in the past and it’s always seemed meh. Controlling swarms of bugs doesn’t sound that engaging and given DEs history with AI companions it’s likely that they would’ve been awful.

Revenant has Danse Macabre. He’s already the games Ballerina.

• Like 1

• 2 years later...