Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

How to add Mag's cinematic trailer ability, but keep the same kit

Scruffel

Before I continue talking about the topic at hand, I'm simply going to add some pretense for people who may be confused on what I'm talking about, in case you didn't know or forgot. Basically at TennoCon 2019, we had a view at the "New Player Experience" (whenever that is happening) through a pretty well animated Cinematic Trailer tied to it. At one point, we could see Mag seem to hold bullets in her hand using her magnetic powers and release them onto the enemies in front of her. Lots of people noticed this and thought either Mag was getting a new ability or a rework, when neither was the case and was just the animators of the trailer not exactly knowing what Mag usually does (similar to Volt's continuous Lightning Bolts). This sprung up a bunch of threads and requests for Mag to gain this as a new ability.

I wouldn't have much of an issue if Mag were to somehow get the, I'm just gonna call it "Bullet Magnet" from now on, as something she can do, but I don't think it's necessarily for her to get a new ability for it. I think Mag's ability kit is fine, and feels pretty complete and, I don't think it would be worth trying to squeeze it into another ability, as it could probably be recreated by adding some new functions to her current abilities; specifically Pull and Magnetize.

The first thing to do with Pull, is adding a new part to the ability called Push. Pretty simply, this is meant to be the opposite version of Pull, as you send enemies flying away from Mag. It would probably make sense, in order to differentiate it from Pull as it would be the same damage and shield gain, for it to have a much less range. It would just make sense for the part of the ability that's meant to get rid of enemies in a close range, would have less in comparison to the one that's meant to bring in enemies from a farther range. Plus it would be fun to be able to juggle enemies with the two parts. Also, just to clarify, it would be a hold to cast in order to perform Push instead. The ability name could also be changed to "Attraction", to fit the new inclusion of Push better, but it would probably wouldn't be necessary.

The second thing, with Magnetize, is allow Mag to use a different version that spawns in front of her instead of on an enemy. It acts differently as it doesn't pull enemies towards it, rather any sort of projectile instead. It will still eventually expire and explode, but it will then send out all of the collected projectiles within a shrapnel-like spread, with some increased damage. This is meant to be more of a defense tool, and meant to reflect Bullet Sponge's "holding in front of" Mag idea. And again, the new Magnetize bubble would be hold to cast and probably require to be aesthetically different compared to the other version of it (perhaps being a much smaller bubble).

And now basically, combine the two new parts of these abilities, and its basically just like having Bullet Magnet. Push would simply cause the projectiles from the new Magnetize to be sent out to every enemy in front of Mag, with a greater increase of damage. I honestly think this would be a better way of implementing the "new" ability, without having to retool Mag's abilities to make room for it.

• Like 3

A couple of you guys keep on saying for this to be an Augment, but for what reason? Mag already has one for each of her abilities, and her receiving more on top of that would be unnecessary. I've shown that it would be possible with only having to add new functions to the abilities, so I don't understand the Augment perspective.

17 hours ago, (NSW)CoolD2108 said:

Why not add a hold mechanic to pull in generall? Essencially push the button -> pull. Hold the button -> bullet shield with a push on release. That would adress all the elephants in the room

The thing is that Magnetize already has the bullet shield aspect within it, just to a lesser degree as it's main focus is pulling in enemies closer for greater damage for your shots. Being able to summon a different version that only absorbs enemy projectiles, would serve a similar purpose to the Bullet Magnet shown in the Trailer. Then, you could allow it to explode into a shrapnel-like attack or use Push to direct a more focused attack at enemies, again similar to the Trailer.

I think the whole idea within Pull could maybe work, but I feel like it would be strange to have two different abilities have similar functions that almost overlap each other. I just find it to be more cohesive to separate it. Plus, you would have to commit to the bullet shield with them both being in Pull, rather being able to freely place it down within Magnetize.

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Scruffel:

The thing is that Magnetize already has the bullet shield aspect within it, just to a lesser degree as it's main focus is pulling in enemies closer for greater damage for your shots. 

And that's the thing. Not only is it to a lesser degree but it is in fact the only way for her to control bullets at all and thus also her only relyable line of defense, a kinda line that's not enough for a frame that's a glass cannon to begin with...

I mean think a step further, a channeled pull would not only stop bullet but also drag enemies with it, a part of the collected bullets would hit them first and it could be an excellent way to feed magnetize, pushed enemies would then be pushed inside it as well. It would give her a line of defense outside of her bubbles and at the same time add a scaling damage aspect to her kit. Releasing it would also deal quite some damage to melee attackers and nullifiers wouldn't be that much of an issue anymore...

I mean don't get me wrong, i frickin love magnetize... i even pushed this idea in the forums way before it was implemented into her kit. It's good the way it is but right now, she's a bit too focused onto it and her remaining kit still suffers from a lack of synergy. Imo, it's about time for her to step away from the bubbles.... if it's only for a bit. And making pull fill the spot she's shown in the cinematic might just be the way to acchieve this.

Edited by (NSW)CoolD2108