Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Nerfs in Warframe is getting absurd

Awazx

this is not a leap, this is not a anything.

this is just poor reuse of existing content. this event isn't anything groundbreaking, if it was many of us would be willing to accept what is basically a complete garbage fire of a release. what we got is basically 2 kinds of reskinned excavation missions and that doesn't warrant the amount of bugs and poor design decisions it brought with it.

people often forget that we players are not alpha-/beta testers but potentially paying customers. for some reason having your customers test your product seems to have become normal in the gaming industry. would you be satisfied with a broken car at purchase with the promise it would be fixed later for free? i doubt it.

De is not taking any leaps, they are not doing anything revolutionary, they are simply creating content for this game which does mostly lack in quality. And no amount of yes-saying and whiteknighting is going to sweep the issue under the rug that nearly all their releases in the last few years have been so broken, so borderline unplayable at release, that i wonder if there is any sort of QA involved ANYWHERE in the process.

On 2020-03-27 at 10:50 PM, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

DE has always involved the players as "creative directors" in order to fine tune an update.

and by "creative directors" you mean "unpaid QA testers" .... what a joke.

Edited by grindbert
  • Like 2

You really want the truth i feel like they should just remove rivens from the game or turn them into fixed mods rather than random rolls.

It's time people stopped using rivens as an excuse to pretend that trash weapons can somehow be great if you find the right riven. These are innate failures of the weapon and if anything rivens prevent them from being able to meaningfully correct the weapons failures because someones riven will make it overpowered.

Fix the weapons. Rivens have only ever been a bandaid to try and avoid having to do work because they're lazy. They easily make as much money as any AAA company, at least when adjusted for their staff, they can do a little work now and again. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, grindbert said:

this is not a leap, this is not a anything.

this is just poor reuse of existing content. this event isn't anything groundbreaking, if it was many of us would be willing to accept what is basically a complete garbage fire of a release. what we got is basically 2 kinds of reskinned excavation missions and that doesn't warrant the amount of bugs and poor design decisions it brought with it.

people often forget that we players are not alpha-/beta testers but potentially paying customers. for some reason having your customers test your product seems to have become normal in the gaming industry. would you be satisfied with a broken car at purchase with the promise it would be fixed later for free? i doubt it.

De is not taking any leaps, they are not doing anything revolutionary, they are simply creating content for this game which does mostly lack in quality. And no amount of yes-saying and whiteknighting is going to sweep the issue under the rug that nearly all their releases in the last few years have been so broken, so borderline unplayable at release, that i wonder if there is any sort of QA involved ANYWHERE in the process.

and by "creative directors" you mean "unpaid QA testers" .... what a joke.

A zero cost compromise for a free to play game. I'd take that. 

3 minutes ago, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

A zero cost compromise for a free to play game. I'd take that. 

and once again i have to remind people that even a f2p game is not an f2p game for everybody. somebody has to cough up the bucks, otherwise nobody can play.

in the end DE is a company like any other and needs to make profit. so somebody has to pay which makes the game a product and selling an untested product (voluntary payment or not) is a $&*^ move.

even freeware has QA testing.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, grindbert said:

and once again i have to remind people that even a f2p game is not an f2p game for everybody. somebody has to cough up the bucks, otherwise nobody can play.

in the end DE is a company like any other and needs to make profit. so somebody has to pay which makes the game a product and selling an untested product (voluntary payment or not) is a $&*^ move.

I remember freeware back in the day. Most of it was garbage. Occasionally you'd find a gem, but that was the exception not the rule.

I agree that DE is a for profit company and somebody has to pay. I know I do occasionally. I still enjoy the content right now. Yes it's a little buggy, but it will eventually get fixed. We play, find bugs, submit a report, and eventually it will get fixed. That's the cycle.

DE has been ambitious in what they want to do with Warframe. For the most part I like where it's going. What's annoying is they spend months and years working on a release and we devour it in hours and demand more. Often times we don't take the time to admire the environment around us. Environment that took someone a long time to create, but we just quickly bullet jump past it and don't give it a second's though. Thank you Art department for all your hard work.

I think the light has finally come on at DE and they have finally realized that these bigger projects (Raljack and Scarlet Spear) need a larger testing pool for stress testing et. al. I'm curious how they will deal with that problem now that it's sunk in. I also know that working from home is NOT the same as working in an office. There's that social aspect that sparks creativity and problem solving that just can't be reproduced with IM and email. That's going to slow things down. In the end if making a game was so easy, everyone would do it and all titles would be blockbusters.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sgt.Tau said:

I remember freeware back in the day. Most of it was garbage. Occasionally you'd find a gem, but that was the exception not the rule.

I agree that DE is a for profit company and somebody has to pay. I know I do occasionally. I still enjoy the content right now. Yes it's a little buggy, but it will eventually get fixed. We play, find bugs, submit a report, and eventually it will get fixed. That's the cycle.

Well, that might have been true in the past, but is mostly not the case today. every freeware has some paid option so the product is tested.

What you describe is the cycle of a QA team. Yes, i am well aware of the fact that the gaming industry has been using their customers as unpaid testers but i refuse to stop criticising a bad thing just because it has become common.

Well, developers have to develop towards their customer base. Maybe if we bulletjump past 3 months of work and not look at it it's time to scale back that work and focus on things that we actually care about. I reiterate: this is a commercial product, not the platform for fulfilling someones artistic vision. If DE keeps focusing on things they deem important but are irrelevant to their customer base that is just a moronic business choice.

I don't care about environments, for all i care it could all look like the simulacrum. I care about functioning game mechanics. And given the S#&$storm the last releases have stirred up it's safe to say at least a significant portion of people agree with me on that at least to some degree (as in: not many would go to the extremes as i do, but i doubt many care about every single tiny tentacle moving perfectly while they're bulletjumping past it, ignoring it completely).

Finally, after so many years watching De stumble over the same pothole again and again i highly doubt ANYTHING has sunk in.

PS: I work in software development myself. Despite home office i am expected to deliver the same work (quantity+quality) as in the office. Different standards i guess.

Edited by grindbert
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, grindbert said:

True, which is completely up to players, not DE. I've played this game for over 5 years now and, compared to any other game that's f2p, p2p or AAA, the money invested versus return is simply unmatched. 

Second, you're not truthful about no testing. They don't have enough testers to cover the game within their release windows.  As a business owner, I completely understand how low their employee count plus very high customer demand can create qc (quality control) problems. The game is huge, one of the largest in gaming history, with absolutely no guaranteed revenue stream. Not a single thing in this game is a forced buy to progress or win. Therefore, I don't expect a bug free release at one to two month content intervals but I would expect nearly bug free content at four to six month intervals. Of course, pitchforks would come out with that low progression of content so DE choose to maintain the monthly intervals. 

"Somebody has to pay". No, they don't. People WANT to buy things. You don't have to do a single thing you don't want to do and I wish people would stop that weak lie. It unjustly places good companies and people in categories they don't deserve to be in...and it's simply because people don't get their way. 

6 minutes ago, grindbert said:

Well, that might have been true in the past, but is mostly not the case today. every freeware has some paid option so the product is tested.

What you describe is the cycle of a QA team. Yes, i am well aware of the fact that the gaming industry has been using their customers as unpaid testers but i refuse to stop criticising a bad thing just because it has become common.

I agree here but the business model has to be taken into account. In DE's case, we're asking a free to play model to behave exactly like a pay to play model. DE should get crap for major bugs resulting from rush releases like railjack. They should've ignored the "content drought" whiners and completed the project. Scarlet Spear is a game changer that needed to be released in order to monitor as much client server variety as possible. The gameplay loop and rewards reflect that vividly (seems to me that they were testing long runs especially). Three servers linking up (Warframe and two client servers) is an interesting feature but needs to be done right and tested heavily.

23 minutes ago, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

True, which is completely up to players, not DE. I've played this game for over 5 years now and, compared to any other game that's f2p, p2p or AAA, the money invested versus return is simply unmatched. 

Second, you're not truthful about no testing. They don't have enough testers to cover the game within their release windows.  As a business owner, I completely understand how low their employee count plus very high customer demand can create qc (quality control) problems. The game is huge, one of the largest in gaming history, with absolutely no guaranteed revenue stream. Not a single thing in this game is a forced buy to progress or win. Therefore, I don't expect a bug free release at one to two month content intervals but I would expect nearly bug free content at four to six month intervals. Of course, pitchforks would come out with that low progression of content so DE choose to maintain the monthly intervals. 

"Somebody has to pay". No, they don't. People WANT to buy things. You don't have to do a single thing you don't want to do and I wish people would stop that weak lie. It unjustly places good companies and people in categories they don't deserve to be in...and it's simply because people don't get their way. 

none of this is true. they do not lack employees, DE is not a small indie studio. this game is not huge, it's a cluster#*!% of individually really tiny modular parts that stack upon each other. there's much bigger games from much smaller studios out there. and very, very, extremely, very far away from "one of the largest in gaming history". so far, you couldn't see it with the hubble telescope.

not a single thing is forced to progress or win in many f2p games. yet somehow they are able to make profit predictions to investors. it's no different with warframe. it's a well established business model and not some revolutionary shot in the dark.

you say you are a business owner. imagine nobody paying for your product. would you still have a business? somebody has to pay for warframe, otherwise the company is not operational. imagine if nobody bought any prime access and no platinum. how the hell would they pay rent, their employees, their power bill, their servers, etc? how would they pay out dividends to their investors? how would a business that has expenses but no income keep running? 

yes, on an individual micro level nobody has to pay. but on the macro level at least some portion of the player base has to otherwise there is no game.

so here we circle back to my first sentence and i want to stress the "none" as with all those questions in the room given your statement i seriously doubt you are a business owner. or at least i doubt you're running it yourself if you don't realize those very basic things.

Edited by grindbert
  • Like 1

15 minutes ago, (PS4)GEN-Son_17 said:

I agree here but the business model has to be taken into account. In DE's case, we're asking a free to play model to behave exactly like a pay to play model. DE should get crap for major bugs resulting from rush releases like railjack. They should've ignored the "content drought" whiners and completed the project. Scarlet Spear is a game changer that needed to be released in order to monitor as much client server variety as possible. The gameplay loop and rewards reflect that vividly (seems to me that they were testing long runs especially). Three servers linking up (Warframe and two client servers) is an interesting feature but needs to be done right and tested heavily.

are you 70 years old? do you run a software company on windows 3.11? this is a well established business model and has been for quite a while. monitoring client server variety? what world do you live in? those are automated things every first semester IT student can do in their sleep. there are prepackaged libraries for any supported interface in every commercial development platform. those things are a non-concern unless you massively #*!% up the network communication. 

interlinking 3 servers is interesting? have we traveled in time to the 1960s? what is going on here? those are the most basic, the most standard things for any company, not even in software development or tech. what the hell are you talking about?

what is a game changer about sending a variable from client (ground host) to server (kill code) and then sending it to another client (space host) in a localised sandbox (flotilla)? this wouldn't have been a game changer 50 years ago.

• Like 1

You "fixed" Venari being able to heal defense targets.

You are the ones that wrote the "Tips" section in the abilities screen.  5th tip from the right: "Venari's Heal posture can heal Defense objectives when marked!"  Verbatim.

You put it in the game.  You wrote the tip.  You left it in the game for nearly 2 years.

Then you come out with this half-baked, 2 mission event that you expect players to play for dozens of hours and people use the mechanics that YOU put in the game to make the "Mobile Defense Rehash 3.0 Extravaganza" just a little bit easier and suddenly it's "unintended" just like so many other things that you put in the game only became "unintended" after you decided you wanted to nerf them. 

Nerfing something because you decide that it's screwing up the delicate balance you think you've created (Which is a joke.  There is zero balance with anything in this game.) is not "fixing" something.  It's not a "bug" or an "exploit" that needs to be fixed like you so very often want to label it.  It's a nerf.  It's you removing something from the game because you can't be bothered to come up with more complex, dynamic, interesting content than "Don't let this thing take damage while you kill stuff."  

This is the last time you're nerfing me.  I won't be logging in to the game again until you undo this, and you're not going to do that because you like to leave your failures in the game, like trophies that we have to deal with.  You know, like the one time you tried to make dynamic content by just randomly slapping extra exterminate objectives into missions and didn't understand why no one liked them, but also didn't take them back out?  Unless it's on a player-use statistic spreadsheet you don't understand it, so instead of trying to figure out the "why" of people hating something, or using something, like Venari's heal, you just break it, leave it and move on.  

• Like 7

First Rule of Warframe: Never Get Attached to Anything.

It's hard to follow at times' even I can feel the sting of a favored weapon seeming nerfed into the ground' just know that it may be nerfed but, in a few cycles a new weapon will take it's place and do its job even better.

It'll be king for a bit then get nerfed or reworked and then really nerfed...when it get's really nerfed that signals somewhere in the development pipe is a replacement waiting to be introduced into the game.

Edited by (PS4)FriendSharkey
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Miser_able said:

if DE brings all weapons up to endgame capacity, then people will complain that all the challenge is lost and then the enemies will have to be buffed again, and we'll be right back where we started.

Imagine thinking there is or ever was a challenge in warframe lmao.

• Like 1

New prime frames used to be 1,000+ plat in trade chat on day one.  I saw Titania Prime selling for 200p today.  Huge chunks of their playerbase are leaving and I know for me, it's the nerfs.  I'm so tired of being nerfed.  Every single little tiny nerf they put out is infuriating at this point because it's been one after another for months now.  They don't even base their nerfs on "balance" like the shills want to say.  They base them on two things and two things only:  Player use statistics and if it effects whatever mediocre crap they've just released.  They call them "fixes" and treat them like bugs and exploits, even if they're functioning exactly how they were intended to work, and they do not care one iota what the players think about it.  

I'm done being nerfed.  I'm done investing my time into something only to have it wasted.  That's disrespectful of player's time, and the rest of this game already does that enough.  

I just want to know who DE thinks is going to teach all their new players when all the old heads leave.  The game sure as hell doesn't do it.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, (XB1)Harbinger XK5 said:

I've been playing this game for a few years and one thing i can say is that i love this game although the extent of their nerfs is becoming absurd. Sure i may be the kind of person who despises nerfs to characters and weapons in general, but it's getting out of control.  Now the game which was my favorite game even with all the countless glitches, is now falling down the list. I'm always afraid of hotfixes, because the only thing i can think about when i see them is how are they going to weaken me now. i won't even write about about the riven disposition nerf due to the fact i could right a 5000 word essay on how i feel about it.

As it is now there are no weapons that i feel comfortable using that are strong enough after the nerfs. So rather than nerfing things bring all the weapons to endgame capability that way everyone can use the weapons they're comfortable with and aren't being forced to leave their comfort zones, games are supposd to be about escaping reality not going into a different version of the same thing, and leave the dispositions alone it's hard enough to get a good roll as.

Enough is enough anyone who is with me on this, join with me and lets try and cease all these ridiculous nerfs and brings us back to being the gods of the origin system if we put the work into what we love.

Just do what I did and quit. The game is in a downward spiral and losing alot of players so join the former tenno in the borderlands or where ever it is you decide to go. DE hates its veterans and endurance runners so if you are one of those two things just be done with it. Even animal crossing is more entertaining then S#&$frame as of now so don't give them the time of day!

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, (XB1)Zweimander said:

Just do what I did and quit. The game is in a downward spiral and losing alot of players so join the former tenno in the borderlands or where ever it is you decide to go. DE hates its veterans and endurance runners so if you are one of those two things just be done with it. Even animal crossing is more entertaining then S#&$frame as of now so don't give them the time of day!

Playing other games is what the devs are doing, so this is honestly the right answer.

10 hours ago, (XB1)TehChubbyDugan said:

They nerfed a thing because they say it was unintended and needed to be fixed, when they literally have a tip in the game that says that it's intended to function that way.  I called a lie, a lie, because it is one.

Let me guess, you're mad they took out the intrinsics farm method where you ignore all the enemies, save the ones on the commander's base, fly in, kill them, then abort to get the intrinsics?

They never claimed intrinsics were the same as affinity, so no, it's not a lie.  And, accusing them of lying isn't going to help your case.  But, hey, you do you, and DE will be free to continue to ignore people who can't act in a mature and respectful way towards them.

15 hours ago, grindbert said:

this is not a leap, this is not a anything. this is just poor reuse of existing content. this event isn't anything groundbreaking, if it was many of us would be willing to accept what is basically a complete garbage fire of a release. what we got is basically 2 kinds of reskinned excavation missions and that doesn't warrant the amount of bugs and poor design decisions it brought with it.

If you're referring to Scarlet Spear, then I have to disagree. While the player-facing portion of the event IS fairly basic, the true purpose of the event is to test the back-end, the network architecture, the instancing system and so on. I've said it before - most of the issues with Scarlet Spear's design from the Flotilla breakdown to the timer to the rewards to the odd deferred sharing of rewards and more are a direct solution to logistics issues inherent in the core design of Squad Link. This is the primary reason over which I question whether Squad Link is even worth bothering with. It's a MASSIVE headache on the backend, yet it feels almost indistinguishable from a placebo to players actually engaging in it. Scarlet Spear would work just as well if the codes that ground teams generated were discarded and the game simply generated codes for space teams out of nothing, attaching a random player's name and Warframe to them.

I'd go one further and argue that Railjack itself is in the same boat. The level of technical innovation needed to put THAT game mode into THIS game is quite impressive, especially given how limiting Warframe's mission architecture is, but all players see is "one ship, one mission type, like three different enemies." DE have done this to themselves a lot in the past. Rather than build on systems they've designed and give us "more of the same," they consistently try to implement new systems. Free roam maps, gimmick bosses, space flight, etc. Each of these things is a massive investment in back-end infrastructure which players will never see, each of these things has $&*^-all for content. As such, most of what we see are buggy, undercooked tech demos paraded for a few weeks or a few months until the next tech demo comes along.

If you want to criticise DE for something, don't criticise them for lacking innovation. Criticise them for not capitalising on their existing innovation before moving on to the next one.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Steel_Rook said:

snip

sorry to disappoint you but such mechanics have been prepackaged in development environments for game design for a long time now. 

maybe it's time De stops patchworking together their own cluster#*!% of spaghetti code every time they try something "new" (as in new to them, those and way better mechanics exist in many other games since the dawn of time) and fork out those few bucks for a license to put their design on a commercial base that has been working for years if not decades.

i know the problem, ideally you want to do everything yourself but you're wasting months on making something that's ultimately worse than a premade platform that will cost you like 20k dollars license fees. 

This is not innovation, this isn't something new in the industry, this is just something DE hasn't had used before and #*!%ed it up instead of just forking out a few bucks for a tested and working platform that only needs to be tweaked a bit on their end.

It's feature creep in the worst sense possible.

PS: like i said before, i work in software development myself. i know what's happening in the background (in a general sense) and i see a lot of things happening on the user end that i'm familiar with dealing on the dev end. 

PSS: and no, squad link is not worth bothering with, since it's not a proper quad link either. at least not for now. it's a simple sandboxed client-server-client sync and there is nothing complicated about it, unless you mess it up of course. there are tested and stable tools for it which DE apparently chose to ignore for the sake their own homebrewed mess.

PSSS: i absolutely agree that railjack is quite an astonishing technical piece in this specific environment. My issue with railjack was never the thing itself but that it was released unfinished. not only technically unfinished but also lacking content. i wouldn't have minded waiting quite some while longer for a proper implementation but it seems DE feels the pressure of their declining player base (who would have thought after 7+ years, let's be realistic here) and just throws the stuff out there to keep people entertained without taking a step back and realizing that they are hurting themselves in the long run chasing after those concurrent player numbers.

I disagree however on how big the investment on the backend infrastructure is. it's big if you home brew everything yourself which nowadays is just completely insane. if you use tools and prepackaged architectures that were designed for exactly those things you mitigate not only a lot of backend work but also a lot of technical problems. as my old professor used to say: "if you ever have your own software company, and i know that's what most of you morons dream of, and want to implement something, go through this very easy process: google if somebody has done it before and if someone has, offer them money for a license, it will save you a heart attack at age 55."

Edited by grindbert

1 hour ago, grindbert said:

This is not innovation, this isn't something new in the industry, this is just something DE hasn't had used before and #*!%ed it up instead of just forking out a few bucks for a tested and working platform that only needs to be tweaked a bit on their end.

What exactly kind of "off the shelf" implementation do you envision which will enable cross-team networking within a locally-hosted environment and work in what to the best of my knowledge is a proprietary engine? Serious question here, because I genuinely don't know where you'd find such a module. The majority of the technical issues being solved here don't appear to be generic networking, but rather unique to DE's specific networking and instancing implementation. Take, for instance, using the Dojo as the shared instance for Railjack. I don't know why they chose to do that rather than simply hosting each Railjack mission within its own instance, but I have to assume there were reasons. Scarlet Spear then appears to have attempted to further expand on that specific functionality - extending Warframe instancing to be shared with multiple teams - and as a result broke Dojo instances proper, putting a serious damper on player trades.

I mean, you work in Software development. You've handled issues like this on the back end. What off-the-shelf software would you recommend?

6 minutes ago, Steel_Rook said:

snip

as far as implementing a baseline platform that can handle csc-sync and has proven to work in all kinds of weird environments photon would be the first one that comes to mind. other tools could be a rigged NAT traversal by unity, afaik it's also sold seperately and can be used independent from UNet and works great with p2p. Unreal licensing is modular as well, i'm sure a company of DEs size could make a good deal for the standalone p2p netcode, given the games that run on that platform i'm nigh 100% sure csc sync is included in the package. I'm fairly confident even MS game stack has a full p2p networking module although with game stack i'm not sure it would run well without the entire environment so i guess we're counting that out.

those are just few, that immediately come to mind. i'm sure with a quick search i could find more.

3 hours ago, grindbert said:

Unreal licensing is modular as well, i'm sure a company of DEs size could make a good deal for the standalone p2p netcode, given the games that run on that platform i'm nigh 100% sure csc sync is included in the package.

Unreal Engine stuff is interesting. Given how Warframe looks (or used to) and behaves, I had a suspicion it's based in some way on Unreal, but none of the information I can find online supports this. I have often wondered if Unreal modules could be adapted to Warframe. Depends on how the game is set up. Unfortunately, it's often the case that these decade-old games end up with spaghetti code which makes new features difficult to implement due to lack of future-proofing and just bad coding habits. City of Heroes was notorious for being a mess internally, especially when it came to its UI code, and Payday 2 had persistent issues of developers misunderstanding how their Lua codebase worked.

If DE could grab off-the-shelf solutions, then I'm personally all for it. Not sure what licensing fees for software will do for the bottom line, but I'm definitely not insisting on reinventing the wheel. They've certainly sunk a LOT of time on the back-end pretty much all throughout 2019, with very little actual content on the front-end for users to enjoy. Even if they stick to purely in-house solutions, I'm of the opinion that we can do with a period of less innovation and "more of the same" so all those new systems they implemented can grow some meat on the bone. Railjack in particular is barely more than a tech demo. It needs more mission types, more locations, more enemy variety, more objective types, more girth to the progression system so we don't end up grinding for singular items, etc. One day, I would dearly love for Railjack to take over from Ground Missions entirely, but I'll settle for making it worth playing on face value for the time being.

10 hours ago, (XB1)R3d P01nt said:

Let me guess, you're mad they took out the intrinsics farm method where you ignore all the enemies, save the ones on the commander's base, fly in, kill them, then abort to get the intrinsics?

They never claimed intrinsics were the same as affinity, so no, it's not a lie.  And, accusing them of lying isn't going to help your case.  But, hey, you do you, and DE will be free to continue to ignore people who can't act in a mature and respectful way towards them.

I never used it, I'm sitting at 8887 on intrinsics because I gave up on railjack for the most part.  I didn't like how they framed it because it was dishonest, just like this is.  And knowing who you are, I'm not surprised you're defending them lol.

• Like 3