Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Why no one plays Octavia despite being very strong?

-Vahagn-

15 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

- Her base design is just pure eye candy.

XD
...aah I get it, one of those poison candies, right?

Too answer your question short - the game with her becomes way easier, also with revenant and a couple of other frames.

Edited by vegetosayajin

16 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

However despite all these reasons I almost never see a player using Octavia. I believe I only see an Octavia player once a month or non at all. 

From what I understand I hear it is mostly from these reasons:

- Very hard to acquire, requires puzzle solving, RNG, and a quest.

- While very pleasing to the eye people don't like her marching band look. Nor do they like her fairy-like deluxe skin, or her Hatsune Miku Tennogen skin. 

- The mandachord does require plat investment to get the perfect song.

- While I find her a lot of fun, many people do consider her very boring to play.

Interesting take on Octavia. I like her quite a bit, but she is pretty rare out in the wild. 

Why others don't play her is debatable, but she is rare. 

What I've noticed is that the base Octavia is both exceptionally weird looking and difficult to color. So, if you want to really change her up, you have to spend plat. Many won't. I'm waiting with bated breath for Octavia Prime, though I suspect it won't change her rarity once past the initial surge of PA purchases--and the fact sinks in that she's still Octavia. 

She is very strong, but she's also mission dependent when it comes to getting the most out of her. She's best when the enemy has to come to her. She's the mistress of the set piece battle. She can slum as well as any warframe, but she's not particularly fun if she's just kind of...there. 

She's not that hard to acquire, but it does require a time investment and the boss fight is a bit impenetrable. She isn't for the unmotivated. 

The mandachord plays into lack of motivation as well. You have to want to do this to learn how to use it. Making songs is more of the same. You can bypass some of the messy bits with plat or a little help from the community. However, it does require preparation to do well. If you won't do that, you're not going to do well with her. 

Octavia isn't particularly dynamic to play. Energy management is a goodly bit of what you do when you play her. She's not as immediate as a Valkyr, a Khora, or an Excaliber. Much of what she does happens remotely from the warframe. She doesn't have to run her guns to succeed, so if you're not shooting you have a very passive playstyle.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, WH1735S0W said:

The mandachord does require plat investment to get the perfect song.

It doesn't. It only affects her sounds, not the way abilities proc. You can have a constant tune to easily proc buffs with base instruments. It might sound bad, sure, but it works.
Obviously the perfect scenario would be having sounds separated from her abilities usage, but it's not the end of the world, and saying she requires plat investment is false, sorry.

• Like 1

Her abilities are quite clunky and not intuitive at all. Metronome especially. Crouching in time with whatever beat, shooting in time with the beat, jumping, etc is extremely cumbersome and annoying. Not only that, everyone in your group has to do it separately when they can barely see your rings and aren't accustomed to the song you are. This makes it so people with toggle crouch are screwed, people with low fire rate weapons without a slow song are annoyed, and the jumping one is just a huge pain reguardless.

Then you have her 4th which is very hard to try and figure out on your own. You basically need to look up how to get the sound level up for the bonus. Also her 2nd ability in my experience constantly prepositions the mallet in ways I don't want it as well as sometimes getting enemies to stop shooting at it and chase it around. It's kind of the opposite effect I want personally.

Really not fun in any way to me.

Edited by Annnoth

because her abilities are not reactive, you dont use them whenever you need them, you are kind of encouraged to use all 4 of them 100% of the time, and to do that all 4 just do not really last long enough even with respectably mid>high duration.  it gets boring just pressing 1.2.3.4 every 40 seconds or do.

To be honest I would prefer it if all 4 of her abilities were toggle abilities like desecrate or 3 and 4 on equinox.

Edited by Methanoid
  • Like 1

Personally i like her play style and ise her pretty often.  My buddy mains her.

The thing about octi i notice though is if you build her for max power, duration, and efficiency.  She becomes very squishy and you need a good trinity/harrow to be an energy battery to keep your songs up.

Visually i use her hatsune miku helm with her deluxe body.  They combine well to create a cute/sexy balorina.  But not a fan of her other skins/helms.

All depends on what you need though.

because most people who have tried her think that the only option to is crouch spam and toss and mallet and afk. 

also most people don't want to bother attempting to make music on it. which for me as an octavia main and musically inclined person has the most fun with lol.

i have to admit i wish a 2nd octave was open in the mandachord  or had an option to have a melodic progression tho any more variation would make multiple octavias in a squad even more noise cancer then it currently is lol.

btw crouch spam music does not have to sound like crap. just takes some effort lol. also some people forget that u dont need to use crouch spam music .

she is OP in the sense that she CAN be used in all content (yes including tridolon) and not be useless. which pretty much only trinity is in that spot imo.

her augments are stupid fun. for sure not a requirement anywhere but still fun none the less. 

with that said. if someone is not having fun with a frame they won't play it.

saryn is OP af but i wouldn't touch her with a 10 foot pole cus i do not enjoy playing her.

the main reasons i see in my circle that people do not play her can be summed into this: too lazy/unwilling to maintain the buffs - crouch spam is enough for me. 

heck some people do not even realize that she has OTHER buffs besides invisibility lol. 

Btw. do not bother quoting as these are opinions and forums like to chew at people until their insides come out. hard pass.

• Like 2

In my time playing with her, she was insanely strong, only problem was 1) I was mostly invis standing still waiting for enemies to hit mallets or 2) teammates killed all the enemies so I couldn't use my mallets as well. Even then though, she still is an awesome buffer, but the problem for me is she's just boring to play with me just standing there invisible. (I use a build focused on mallets)

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Methanoid said:

because her abilities are not reactive, you dont use them whenever you need them, you are kind of encouraged to use all 4 of them 100% of the time, and to do that all 4 just do not really last long enough even with respectably mid>high duration.  it gets boring just pressing 1.2.3.4 every 40 seconds or do.

To be honest I would prefer it if all 4 of her abilities were toggle abilities like desecrate or 3 and 4 on equinox.

Lol 4 channeled powers on simultaneously....? Are you sure about that?

On 2020-03-29 at 5:02 PM, WH1735S0W said:

- While very pleasing to the eye people don't like her marching band look. Nor do they like her fairy-like deluxe skin, or her Hatsune Miku Tennogen skin. 

she's basically a bard Warframe. i think she was designed superbly.

Personally I just dislike bards. Her mechanics also don't interest me. Also, support frames are underutilized because the content doesn't require them at all (except for Eidolons). 

9 minutes ago, Ikyr0 said:

she's basically a bard Warframe. i think she was designed superbly.

Personally I just dislike bards. Her mechanics also don't interest me. Also, support frames are underutilized because the content doesn't require them at all (except for Eidolons). 

I don't know. Theres a lot of people dying in sorties and arbitrations.

1 minute ago, (PS4)CrazyBeaTzu said:

I don't know. Theres a lot of people dying in sorties and arbitrations.

I think it's generally newer players who either don't know how to mod, or don't have any. It's quite difficult to die with a decent setup on pretty much any frame 

• Like 1

On 2020-03-29 at 3:02 PM, WH1735S0W said:

I am not saying Octavia is bad or an awful Warframe, in fact she is quite the opposite. 

Octavia is generally considered to be one of the strongest Warframes in the game. As well as arguably being one of the best support Warframes too.

In addition to that, she also has other aspects that make her great:

- Her signature weapons are very solid guns. Thus you can use them on Octavia without being underpowered as well as still granting the bonuses.

- She can be played anywhere and still do great.

- Her base design is just pure eye candy.

- Her mandachord makes her one of the most unique and creative Warframes in the game.

However despite all these reasons I almost never see a player using Octavia. I believe I only see an Octavia player once a month or non at all. 

From what I understand I hear it is mostly from these reasons:

- Very hard to acquire, requires puzzle solving, RNG, and a quest.

- The mandachord does require plat investment to get the perfect song.

- While I find her a lot of fun, many people do consider her very boring to play.

Those are the reason I can think of. Let me know if you have some others, I am pretty much unable to find a solid answer.

Because the War components have a 0.5% drop rate (or less maybe, DE hates datamining) and I am forced to bring Nekros to this event because he is more consistent than Khora when I go with randos.

1 hour ago, Aesthier said:

^ This makes me suspect that you played EQ at one point.

EQ bards were annoying. Useful occasionally, but annoying. NPC bards were KoS. Just sayin'...

My animus to them goes back to AD&D (second edition). We had one friend that insisted on playing a bard and it simply drove everyone else up the wall. It sounded good in theory, but in practice was just a damned nuisance. 

I don't file Octavia in that particular mental drawer, but I can see where some might find her maybe too close for comfort.