Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Chroma must come back as truly Draconic Master of Elements

PanMatter

So I start this thread with my backstory (this is purely optional, you may just skip it to actual rework)

Spoiler

When I started my journey with Warframe (if you are curious I started it in December), I made a overview of Frames with my friend (who get me into this game) to find which one would fit me the best. Many of them caught my eye but particularly in one I had an interest. It was Chroma. Friend of mine presented him as Dragon/Dragon Slayer Warframe and I absolutely love dragons, they are so cool. Another cool thing about him was being the master of elements, which give me “Avatar: The Last Airbender” vibes and I loved this show. So I was determined to get him as fast as possible and when I finally got him I was really happy. His whole motive gave me so much fun when I was playing him. But I quickly realized that Chroma is neither the master of elements, nor Dragon/Dragon Slayer Frame, but a rumba with damage and armor buffs. I couldn't understand how DE menaged to downgrade such concept. I knew that Chroma needed a new kit and removal of self-damage only showed this. So there is my rework concept for him.

Rework of Chroma

Passive

“Chroma hoards elemental energy from status occuring on enemy to gain various pickups.”

Depending on elemental alignment Chroma gains for every 10 elemental statuses occurring on enemies:

• Heat: give 10 (modified by Ability Strength) health.
  • Electric: give 5 (modified by Ability Strength) energy.
  • Toxin: give 20 (modified by Ability Strength) ammunition.
  • Cold: give 15 (modified by Ability Strength) shield.

Note: If element is changed, accumulation of statuses is terminated. For combined elements gained pickups are merger of their “parent” elements but halved. To gain pickups from elemental statuses, it must occurred by using Chroma’s ability - it also apply to his weaponry affected by Elemental Overload and Elemental Reflection augmentation.

1. Elemental Overload 

“Overload Chroma with align element, unleashing destructive potential of elemental energy through his weaponry.”

Cost: 25 energy | Energy Drain: 10 s-1

When pressed ability: Chroma increase his weapons elemental damage (based on current align element) by 100%/125%/175%/200% (modified by Ability Strength) and status chance by 5%/10%/20%/25% (modified by Ability Strength). To terminate ability you must press it again.

When holded down ability: Chroma can select his (basic) element with interface similar to “Gear loadout”, which is represented by a wheel with four individual slots instead of twelve. To choose element you must click it with LMB. Cooldown of ability is 12/9/6/3 seconds.

Augmentation: Lord of Elements

Allows Chroma to select combined elements, by choosing two basic elements. To choose combined element you must click first element with RMB and second with LMB.

Note: If element is changed, ability isn’t terminated. Elemental Overload is additive multiplier, working like “Elemental Damage Mods”, which mean it does combine with elemental damage on the weapon.

2. Elemental Hoard

“Imbue battlefield with elemental energy and ensure buffs for Chroma and his nearby allies.”

Cost: 50 energy

When pressed ability: Chroma emits 6/8/10/12 (modified by Ability Range) meters long aura that infuse him and his allies, as long as they remain within range, with buffs based on elemental alignment. Also aura deals 50/100/200/250 (modified by Ability Strength, Menace) elemental damage per second to enemies, with a 25%/40%/60%/75% (modified by Ability Strength) status chance. Chroma gains immunity to status of his selected element.

Buffs based on on elemental alignment:

• Heat: increases base health by 100%/125%/175%/200% (modified by Ability Strength). When ability expires, extra health points are on top of the maximum health, similar to "Overshield".
  • Electric: increases base attack speed and fire rate by  5%/10%/15%/20% (modified by Ability Strength).
  • Toxin: increases base reload speed and ammo maximum by 20%/25%/35%/40% (modified by Ability Strength)
  • Cold: increases base shield by 25%/75%/100%/150% (modified by Ability Strength). Extra shield points on top of the maximum shielding are counted as "Overshield".

Duration: 10/15/20/25 (modified by Ability Duration) seconds.

Augmentation: Everlasting Wealth

Allows allies to retain Elemental Hoard effects upon moving out of its range, lasting for 40%/60%/80%/100% of Elemental Hoard remaining duration.

Note: If element is changed, ability is terminated. For combined elements buffs are merger of their “parent” elements but halved. Everlasting Wealth doesn’t apply to Effigy’s version of Elemental Hoard.

3. Ruinous Retaliation

“Wounds caused by enemies only arouse scorn in Chroma, but damage dealt to foes by him increase his menacing presence.”

Cost: 75 energy

When pressed ability: Chroma enters a state of battle trance, gaining Scorn when his shields or health are hit and Menace when he dealt damage. 

• Scorn increases Chroma's and allies, within range of 6/8/10/12 (modified by Ability Range) meters, armor by 0%/0.25%/0.25%/0.5% (modified by Ability Strength) for every point of Chroma's shield lost and 0.75%/0.75%/1%/1% (modified by Ability Strength) for every point of Chroma's health lost, up to a maximum of 225%/300%/375%/450% (modified by Ability Strength). Aura infuse allies, as long as they remain within range, with buff. If ally stay beyond aura, buff is deleted.
  • Menace increases Chroma's and allies, within range of 6/8/10/12 (modified by Ability Range) meters, weapons' (also Chroma’s abilities) damage by 0.0005%/0.001%/0.0015%/0.002% (modified by Ability Strength) for every point of damage dealt to enemies, up to a maximum of 25%/50%/75%/100% (modified by Ability Strength). Aura infuse allies, as long as they remain within range, with buff. If ally stay beyond aura, buff is deleted.

Duration: 10/15/20/25 (modified by Ability Duration) seconds.

Augmentation: Elemental Reflection

When both Scorn and Menace reach cap, incoming fire is reflected back to their source. Reflected damage is changed to elemental damage (based on current align element) and increased by 150%/200%/250%/300% (modified by Ability Strength) and has a 0%/10%/15%/20% (modified by Ability Strength) status chance.

Note: Scorn and Menace are both multiplicative multiplier, overkill damage count towards Menace accumulation. When ability expires both buffs are deleted, however it can be recast while active, retaining the existing buffs.

4. Effigy

“Turn Chroma's pelt into a unyielding sentry that supports nearby allies and engulfs enemies in elemental attacks.”

Cost: 50 energy | Energy Drain: 10 s-1

When holded down ability: Effigy functions as an active "exalted" Companion for Chroma that is separately moddable with Warframe Mods and has special non-removable Aura mod, that allows Effigy to use its abilities. Also sentry follows Chroma and taunts enemies.

• Chroma sheds his outer pelt, imbuing it with elemental energy to sprout wings and converting it into a mobile floating sentry, who will follows Chroma, with 100/250/300/450 (modified by Increasing Health Mods) health and 350 (modified by Increasing Armor Mods) armor. By activating Effigy Chroma can't change his element but gains +20% movement speed.

When pressed ability: Allows Chroma to control his pelt, by aiming at a valid location to mark Effigy’s destination with a beacon. Where sentry is dashing to it, dealing 200/400/800/1000 impact damage per second to enemies in its path, as long as they remain in contact. If you want Effigy to follow Chrome again, you must aiming at it with a beacon.

Effigy’s abilities:

• Effigy’s Breath: Effigy exhales a stream of elemental energy (based on current align element) in a 10/15/20/25 (modified by Ability Range) meters long narrow cone. Inflicting 1000/1250/1750/2000 (modified by Ability Strength, Menace) elemental damage per second, with a 40%/50%/60%/80% (modified by Ability Strength) status chance.
  • Effigy’s Scream: Effigy unleashing a scream to temporarily stun enemies for 3 seconds within 20 (modified by Ability Range) meters and knockdown within (modified by Ability Range) meters. Cooldown of ability is 30/24/12/6 seconds.
  • Effigy’s Elemental Hoard: Effigy emits 3/4/5/6 (modified by Ability Range) meters long aura that infuse sentry and its allies, as long as they remain within range, with buffs based on elemental alignment.
  • Effigy’s Ruinous Retaliation: Within range of 3/4/5/6 (modified by Ability Range) meters both Scorn and Menace buffs are applied to allies. Effigy’s actions doesn’t count towards Scorn and Menace accumulation, nor Effigy’s mods affect them but it still benefits from both buffs.
  • Effigy’s Creed: Enemies killed by the Effigy have a 20% chance to drop additional loot.

Augmentation: Grafted Effigy 

Chroma imbues his outer pelt with elemental energy to sprout wings and float over battlefield (Effigy stays on him). Chroma has increased mobility and can use Effigy’s abilities. 

• Chroma gets additional mobility in form of additional +25% movement speed. Gains +100% Double Jump strength and +50% Bullet Jump speed and range, also Aim Glide duration is increased by +75%.
  • Chroma can use Effigy’s Breath (by pressing LMB) to deal damage to enemies or Scream (by clicking Mouse3) to stun them, however he doesn't have Effigy’s Creed. Effigy’s Breath and Scream are affected by mods applied on Effigy, not on Chroma.

Note: Effigy’s abilities are affected by mods applied on Effigy, not on Chroma. Effigy has got separate Exilus slot and Arcane slots are shared with Chroma. When Chroma use an emote, Effigy performs it too 😄

Thanks for reading my thoughts on Chroma rework and I would be greatful for your opinions fellow Tennos.

Inspiration:

The Dragon King Rework

Our favorite rainbow lizard Chroma Rework

Just now, Janek9025 said:

Chroma Build 2020 Guide Warframe - ProGameTalk
are you sure ?
he literally has draconic wings and breathes fire.

His pelt indicates hunter based, his switching between elements is more elemental based entity. His "wings" are just his effigy, which comes from his pelt. Nothing about him actually screams "DRAGON".

7 minutes ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

His pelt indicates hunter based, his switching between elements is more elemental based entity. His "wings" are just his effigy, which comes from his pelt. Nothing about him actually screams "DRAGON".

Well he might be more Dragon Slayer, Knight or Overlord but telling "Nothing about him actually screams "DRAGON"" is a bit of overstatement for me.

1 minute ago, (XB1)Rez090 said:

Yes that is exactly the case he sleyed a dragon and is useing it's remains as trophy that boosts his abilites and that is his effigy. That makes chroma a hunter that is wearing skin of his prey and that would be a (propably a sentient) dragon . Even if you like to argue that effigy is the only dragon part of him even then effigy is one of the core aspects of chroma design you litteraly see effigy before you can see true chroma if that doesn't make him a warframe with draconic theme or at least warframe with draconic pet then i don't know what can.
Also about switching elements https://forgottenrealms.fandom.com/wiki/Chromatic_dragon i think it isn't that far off.

1 minute ago, PanMatter said:

Well he might be more Dragon Slayer, Knight or Overlord but telling "Nothing about him actually screams "DRAGON"" is a bit of overstatement for me.

Chroma is based around an elemental, like in D&D, all four elements rolled into one body, except replacing toxin and electricity for air and earth.

Since he is colour based a rework should let his skills combine into elemental combos. His energy colour helps choose a base role, but combing his 1 and 3 would create a new skill. Like colour mixing theory. Blue + Red = Purple. I won't spend any more time exploring that though as it's not my thing. 😄

2 minutes ago, Redfeather75 said:

Since he is colour based a rework should let his skills combine into elemental combos. His energy colour helps choose a base role, but combing his 1 and 3 would create a new skill. Like colour mixing theory. Blue + Red = Purple. I won't spend any more time exploring that though as it's not my thing. 😄

I prefer more dynamic change of Chroma's current element and as can you see augmentation for 1 allows you to combine elements. I always think about strict elemental alignment based on colour as worthless passive. But thanks for reply

10 minutes ago, PanMatter said:

I prefer more dynamic change of Chroma's current element and as can you see augmentation for 1 allows you to combine elements. I always think about strict elemental alignment based on colour as worthless passive. But thanks for reply

What I meant was a fire breath plus a lightning effigy would create a radiation pulse explosion. I just didn't want to go into detail as I didn't want to design a warframe.

Just now, Redfeather75 said:

What I meant was a fire breath plus a lightning effigy would create a radiation pulse explosion. I just didn't want to go into detail as I didn't want to design a warframe.

Aaa, that kind of synergy. Well in my rework this could be kinda hard consider that Effigy must has the same element as Chroma, but still this is interesting idea.

• 2 weeks later...

525% Vex Armor multiplicative damage buff might be too overpowered, there is a reason why DE decided to change the math from multiplicative to additive.  I would say keep the multiplicative buff, but make it non moddable like Titania’s. Because it’s already outperforming rhino.

35 minutes ago, DrivaMain said:

525% Vex Armor multiplicative damage buff might be too overpowered, there is a reason why DE decided to change the math from multiplicative to additive.  I would say keep the multiplicative buff, but make it non moddable like Titania’s. Because it’s already outperforming rhino.

Yeah, but 525% is the armor, not the damage. 

Still, 400% multiplicative is VERY overpowered. I think it should be 100% multplicative, this would be already a lot.

The armor though, it can be multiplicative, Chroma doesn't really tank a lot nowadays, can barely reach 20k EHP (no Adaptation).

40 minutes ago, (XB1)XG1anBl4derX said:

Still, 400% multiplicative is VERY overpowered. I think it should be 100% multplicative, this would be already a lot.

I would prefer to make the value static (not affected by mods). 400% is like 100% with 300% STR build. STR can be used to increase the conversion amount to charge the buff faster. This would encourage players to build their Chroma with anything else instead of just MOAR STRENGTH. 

On 2020-03-31 at 3:52 PM, PanMatter said:

“Chroma as Master of Elements, reduces received elemental damage by 33% and is immune to its status, based on active element.”

Chroma should have some kind of energy related passive, because since he has high armor and low health, he doesn't benefit a lot from Hunter A./Rage, it gets worse because now there's shield gating.

Skills 1 and 2 are fine. 

The new Vex armor should have reduced values for Menace, and Scorn should be multiplicative, Chroma is based on a Dragon and he deserves to be the tankiest. A Dragon can't lose to a Rhino.

Effigy looks good, I personally never liked the idea of a sentry, but if it works then it's okay, as long as it is effective.

I think these changes are great and some might be overpowered. But, my concern is that he needs the abilities to use his energy wings more often.

He needs abilities to fly or a least have a passive to let him jump multiple times with his wings if not using effigy.

400% of multiplicative damage affect only elemental damage of Chroma's current elemental alignment. So if he activated heat element, only this element get 400% of damage. But yeah, maybe 400% is a bit too much. Thakns for feedback.

14 minutes ago, PanMatter said:

400% of multiplicative damage affect only elemental damage of Chroma's current elemental alignment. So if he activated heat element, only this element get 400% of damage. But yeah, maybe 400% is a bit too much. Thakns for feedback.

Well, if it only affects his elements I don't think so, maybe, just maybe. I thought it was weapon damage just like it is now.

Archived