Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Should DE just do story stuff in future?

Now console has yet to receive the Scarlet Spear event but from the looks of things its not that good, so with that said should DE just go back to doing story quests, open worlds and the occasional group events?

It just seemed like a few years ago when they were doing this everyone loved them for it, but with Railjack not being well received (honestly I love it as its the best space combat I have played in a long time, reminded me of the Star Wars Battlefront 2 days) and Scarlet Spear being shat on, maybe they should make the game a more story focused game from here on out. 

• Like 1

More lore is always appreciated. It fills the game with more life than yet onther grind mini-game. There are so many underused ways to provide lore. I am stunned by the lack of imagination because story doesnt have to be another second dream quest. Collectibles, short videos, comic style 2-3 images or something nice to read would also be a great addition. 

Some weekly backstory told by Ordis or any other NPC like you get when you farm Gara or Limbo would be a start. Or another Kuria-like collectible providing some backstory about any NPC. 

Why not use Baro to randomly sell Baro lore items with a short videos about his adventures in the void. Why not use the weekly Clem missions to tell stories about his time with the Grineer. Or give us a weekly dialog with Darvo where he can boost about all his great deals.

Endless rather cheap options.

I absolutely love the story, so I'd be glad with more content on that front!

But I wouldn't press it. If they feel like they have a good story perfected to a point where it's ready to be shown, it turns out awesome 100% of the time. Leverian stories are boring though. Maybe it's just me, or maybe I haven't listened to the good ones - only tried a few, and they were boring. And we know Leverian is just a filler to give us stories in a way that won't take too much resources from DE to do other stuff instead.

Lore is essential as is story (but they are very different), they are almost 100% of what I'm here for... but... they have a very poor ROI. Writing is hard, takes many revision and eats up core time from important people (Like Steve) and yet story-based content is some of the quickest to consume for the effort required.

Even plain text-on a page required a lot of work, let alone new VO, Animation for that VO, Character modelling for new characters. There's also the oppertunity cost, ever item of lre locks down the world why is used to be mysterious and flexible, if someone has a brilliant idea for new content with a story that would normally fit they can only do it if some peice of ancillary lore hasnt already been revealed that lockd down the behaviour of that concept/character/time

Take Scarlet Spear, for example. We get a lot of information before and in the new cutscene and those were a hell of a lot of work, yet nobody here seems to consider them. Just goes to show how much we already expect as a baseline.

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, JackHargreav said:

It would be nice but quests usually don't make money. That's why they had to stop with them. 

Quests would be worth it if they were dlcs that you have to buy.

This may be true, and makes me sad...

I mean I think it does make money, only passively. For example, if it wasn't for the story, I would have gotten bored of this game a long time ago. I'm here and continue buying plats (whatever small amount nowadays) because of the story. I know not everyone is found of it, but for me, story seems to be essential in the long run.

Edited by (PS4)Viveeeh
Wow that was a lot of typos and grammar problems in one comment
  • Like 1

The last few updates have been pretty ambitious, and all of them have had things that DE didn't get right the first try. But not getting something right the first time doesn't mean you shouldn't try to innovate or do anything ambitious. They should've taught you that in school. Keep creating, keep trying, keep improving.

Definitely not everyone loved the updates a few years ago. The negative feedback is a lot more acidic nowadays, but even back then you couldn't please everyone.

Personally, I feel like it'd help if they injected the story into more existing stuff, like Character chatter.

Little Duck is the best character IMO, not because she's some avant garde amazing new feat of writing, but she actually acknowledges people outside her bubble. She mentions trading with Maroo for Disruption locations, obviously has connections to Teshin, contacts in the Quills, she calls up Konzu and Eudico during her Scarlet Spear idle dialogue. She actually exists in this world.

• Like 4

it definitely wouldn't hurt for them to polish up the Lore a bit. the Leverian in particular has a lot of potential, and it seems DE intends to keep updating it as often as they can. making it accessible from the Codex was also a welcome addition, and shows they are serious about continuing to improve upon it.

I would love to get Warframes through the old-fashioned method of quests again, instead of another grind, and the quests don't even have to be that good: I don't expect Second Dream tier quality, just a small plot with a beginning and an end, and not too much repetition. it seems though that DE may never go back to those methods, since quests are usually just played the once, yet you could be spending hours trying to get frames like Khora who are behind an entire game mode.

8 hours ago, (PS4)zeratul____12 said:

...I love it as its the best space combat I have played in a long time, reminded me of the Star Wars Battlefront 2 days...

I’ll agree to this. The mechanics are definitely fun, but I just look at the grind and relearning a whole new system and it makes me feel like I can wait till I’ve finished other stuff like mastery and the Two operator factions. 

3 hours ago, Loza03 said:

Personally, I feel like it'd help if they injected the story into more existing stuff, like Character chatter.

Little Duck is the best character IMO, not because she's some avant garde amazing new feat of writing, but she actually acknowledges people outside her bubble. She mentions trading with Maroo for Disruption locations, obviously has connections to Teshin, contacts in the Quills, she calls up Konzu and Eudico during her Scarlet Spear idle dialogue. She actually exists in this world.

This is the best way for DE to “connect the worlds” in my opinion. 

I sort of wish they added star chart missions to the open worlds, similar to other faction missions.

the open worlds and factions would also have been a good place to add soloable training missions for railjack. All the railjack “positions” like pilot, support/repair, etc. would be discreet missions where you could earn faction rep  and intrinsics before you go do the bigger railjack missions.

Edited by (NSW)Sk0rp1on
Bad typing
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, JackHargreav said:

It would be nice but quests usually don't make money. That's why they had to stop with them. 

Quests would be worth it if they were dlcs that you have to buy.

Even if they were DLC's it wouldnt make enough money. FunCom had to quit releasing DLC quests for The Secret World because the profit wasnt big enough compared to the costs. And that was in a very story driven game where all quests were very memorable, deep and engaging. Imagine someone paying for WF quests, that are extremely short and most often quite shallow (compared to a story driven game), they would like not buy more than one quest and then say "#*!% it!". Would anyone honestly pay for any of the quests we currently have in WF?

What I think DE should do is make more things like they've planned with new war. Different parts over a longer time where some of it is made up of events and other parts are a quest to tie the story together. All taking place over different game systems, with options kinda like SS where you arent forced to do RJ if you dont fancy it.

29 minutes ago, (NSW)Sk0rp1on said:

the open worlds and factions would also have been a good place to add soloable training missions for railjack. All the railjack “positions” like pilot, support/repair, etc. would be discreet missions where you could earn faction rep  and intrinsics before you go do the bigger railjack missions.

This is so needed! The game doesn't teach you how to play railjack. I didn't know how to equip the Omni (why would I have looked in my gear wheel, I didn't put it there), what to do to refill it (even after a quick google search I thought I had to push "Refine"), just to mention the most basic stuff, but the list goes on. There's no tutorial whatsoever (or at least I've never found it). Having to watch YouTube videos to find out what to do in a game is not good 🙁

• Like 1

There was a point where they did story quests, and put out lore and actual content and what not.  Somewhere shortly after they got the majority shares of their company purchased by a Chinese Poultry and Gaming conglomerate (I'm not making that up, yes I'm aware of the date.) they started slowly down the path of more and more mobile gaming monetization strategies and started slowly increasing grind and it's been getting worse the entire time I've been playing.  Based on how large corporations tend to run smaller companies into the ground in a quest for short term profits, I don't think you can expect another Second Dream to be coming out any time soon, if ever again.  The New War was advertised as another epic story quest in the same vein as TSD and TWW, or at least that's what I felt the implications were.  Instead, it appears like it's going to end up being a smattering of lore locked behind time-limited grindfests that are just rehashes of existing content.  Go back and watch the trailers and demos for what they wanted Liches and Railjack to be and look at what we got and understand that they're going to leave it like it is for the most part.  We're not getting what was in those trailers and demos.  We're not getting a New War.  We're getting a New Grind, and while I have plenty of negative opinions about the things going on at DE in regards to balance changes and nerfs and what I believe is dishonesty on their part, I fully believe a lot of the blame for this recent batch of failed content falls on the conglomerate that owns them, because they're probably the ones pushing them to release half-finished, broken, time-sinks.