Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Garuda and her Talons

CrimsonBladeZeta

Currently, Garuda's Talons is a bit weaker when compared to other claws. I am not asking for a stat buff, rather it will be some interesting interactions if u use her Claws as melee weapons.

First Ability, Dread Mirror,

If Garuda is using her Claws as her melee, she is holstering it when she cast the charge part of this ability, she will do a wide Claw sweep that deals slash damage instead of a 'Blood Hadoken'.

If she is holstering her range weapon, there will be no change at all.

Second Ability, Blood Altar,

If she is holstering her Claws, she will not create an Altar, but absorb a portion of her target's current health (around 30%,scales with power), dealing the same damage as true damage, and keep it in her claws. If her health is not full she will spend 1% of the absorbed health per second and heal her self until she is full health.

Third Ability, Bloodletting,

No changes at all.

Fourth Ability, Seeking Talons,

If she is holstering her Claws, she will charge to unleash blades erupt through the ground and damage enemies around her, Radius scales with range and charge time. This will also mark them with Garuda's symbol. 

These changes are aimed to make Garuda a mobile fighter if she use her own claws in melee combat.

Tell me about your thoughts! Especially from the Developers!   

• Like 3

I'm not sure I love (or  maybe understand) the specific things you're proposing, but I like the approach a lot.  It's always felt to me like DE just ran out of time to incorporate the  talons into Garuda's kit before she was released.  And either gave up or forgot about the weapon after that.

The main thing I'd suggest is that  the talon-ability synergies be additional, smaller effects, rather than replacements.  (And maybe the altar synergy be something else entirely. since she doesn't particularly need more personal healing IMO.)

4 hours ago, Tiltskillet said:

I'm not sure I love (or  maybe understand) the specific things you're proposing, but I like the approach a lot.  It's always felt to me like DE just ran out of time to incorporate the  talons into Garuda's kit before she was released.  And either gave up or forgot about the weapon after that.

The main thing I'd suggest is that  the talon-ability synergies be additional, smaller effects, rather than replacements.  (And maybe the altar synergy be something else entirely. since she doesn't particularly need more personal healing IMO.)

Well, What i mean is, if she use ranged weapons, there will be no change, like seriously, front mirror shield, Altar, Seeking Talons all seems like superior in RANGED combat to me.

All the changes are only changed if she holsters her own Garuda's Claws actually. When using a melee weapon as a melee Warframe (she has her OWN CLAWS, that sounds so melee to me), it should be fast and agile. Her current ability set focus heavily on ranged combat, which it a bit weird in my opinion.

6 hours ago, (PS4)Ragology said:

Do her talons still lose all their installed mods when there's a host migration?

This sounds like a bug to me LOL

Edited by CrimsonBladeZeta

Her Talons are such a mess

To how they have an identity crisis between being an ability or a full fledged melee weapon

How the animation is basically wrong in every angle as it almost always slaps the enemies with it's side rather than clawing them like the other weapons

Then again, Garuda in general is kind of a mess too. She has potential, but just so clunky.

2 hours ago, Shaburanigud said:

Her Talons are such a mess

To how they have an identity crisis between being an ability or a full fledged melee weapon

How the animation is basically wrong in every angle as it almost always slaps the enemies with it's side rather than clawing them like the other weapons

Then again, Garuda in general is kind of a mess too. She has potential, but just so clunky.

Well, I kinda agree LOL. She is really clunky IMO too.

Played a bunch of Garuda yesterday.. She feels like she's missing something.. it's easier to spam her 4 but then you're pretty much relying on your team to bring AoE/Spam something because if you get surrounded your best option is a weapon (her 1 has low range usually *and* you'd have to first cast your 4 if the enemies weren't already affected - otherwise the damage can be somewhat low **and** must be aimed rather well because of the low range. Antimatter Drop e.g. has 5m more by default) or I guess go into her turtle mode defense and just start blood altar spam, but that is not as productive as it is not going to output damage until you start recasting her 4. Likely by this time you'll be taking damage which is great for some arcanes at least.

An interesting feature would be that enemies in her 2's radius take extra damage from her 4. Or perhaps for every status on an enemy, her 4 deals an extra 5-10 slash damage or perhaps both of these. Her 1, while kinda fun, is a bit clunky for the payoff.. A bit of extra range (radius) would help a lot, or maybe a small falloff (outside of the 10m it does 50% for 5m, for example - this would maybe help chain her 1 better). Perhaps Blood Altar could have a secondary effect on hold: Bladed Caltrops. While aiming at a blood altar you can hold your 2 to place caltops in the altar's area - these have a 40%/40%/20% chance to deal a viral/puncture/slash proc (no damage/1-7damage) that lasts a base proc amount of time - the goal here is adding extra statuses into the mix so you cast your 4. When stepped on, they also make a tiny stun. Now it's starting to sound like she might be able to actually kill some stuff and area deny a bit.. Still takes some setup but at least it's something.

Augment idea: Sunder Sacrifice (Blood Altar); Target is battered by nearby objects dealing up to 50% armor reduction when released from Blood Altar. Function: on releasing an enemy from a blood altar it would vacuum all of the caltrops towards him first (if any were laid), and any ammo pickups - each dealing their status as normal. This also strips 10% armor per object that hits the target up to 50% armor reduction possibly reducing a target to 0%, and stuns all targets in the radius for 2.0 seconds. If the target dies they burst into new caltrops. Casting on another enemy ends any blood altar currently active (so there's only 1 max instead of 3). This is essentially just a worse mag bubble with a heal, but also would allow Garuda to chain her 2 as a squad MOVES ala exterminate, capture, sabotage, rescue, spy.

Otherwise, I find that she feels very without a niche... she has survivability in a really awkward slow manner that lends itself for defense, but not really enough CC or damage to defend properly, not enough damage to be a DPS unless you count when you're squaded with people that NEED the buff desperately, not enough defense to not be completely ambushed (though I could see multiple Garuda being quite powerful.. it still doesn't compare to what some other combinations of frames can achieve). Well... my 2 cents, was going to start a new thread but decided I'd drop this here. There's some interesting stuff and I can see that they don't want to step on a bunch of other frames toes (equi/nova/nezha/trinity) but..... she needs some love somewhere. I don't even think I'd like the changes I'm recommending here btw, just throwing ideas out.

On 2020-04-04 at 8:14 PM, Tiltskillet said:

She was never intended to have the Talons in the first place. They literally were an afterthought because people complained and wanted to use them as melee weapons, like her kit didn't use them enough (even though every single one of her abilities use them in some manner).

13 hours ago, Atsia said:

She was never intended to have the Talons in the first place. They literally were an afterthought because people complained and wanted to use them as melee weapons, like her kit didn't use them enough (even though every single one of her abilities use them in some manner).

Deosn't mean it's okay. If DE eventually decided to go with the idea, they should perfect it.
Even if they decided to add a feature to their product at the very last moment, it doesn't give them an excuse to make the implement lazy and unfinished.