Dante Unbound: Share Bug Reports and Feedback Here! ×

Scarlet Spear Feedback

Obe-Ron-Kenobi

Well now that I have almost every one of my arcanes maxed and both the event weapons I feel I can finally give my two cents for what they're worth. As a disclaimer everyone, these are my opinions, so don't get THAT mad.

Honestly, I love the event. Yes, I am serious if you can believe it. While I don't really enjoy running ground missions all that much, space is one of the coolest things I have ever done in this game. To organize my thoughts somewhat, I will state my thoughts over ground missions first and then go into why space missions are so fun to me. 

To start I'll mention the things I like the most about ground. The different waves of grineer and sentients are a highlight for me. I really enjoy employing a lot of unique weapon and combos to deal with different factions in the same mission (plus its fun to just see how easy grineer are to wipe compared to sentients, feels fairly immersive as far as world building is concerned). I really like the way the condrix takes full use of the Earth tilesets awesome lighting, visually, the ground missions look awesome. I also like that ground missions are the sort of go to for credits as there is a lot less involved, so its much easier to just turn your brain off and grind which I can always appreciate. Downsides include the finger bird guys. Man they can slow down the pace deep in the mission. I also think it would be cool if some elements of the ground mission changed as you got deeper, just something to add some variation, but as I stated earlier the simplistic grind aspect kind of works in grounds favor so it might not be wise to add too much that might disrupt the flow.

As for space missions, oh man so much of it is just awesome to me. The towing of the satelite has actually pretty enjoyable as a pilot surprisingly enough. It tests my evasion skills and how well I am navigating a route. I can 100% say that my piloting skills have improved because of this event because I can tell how much smoother the ride is in between runs and I LOVE THAT. My favorite aspect of space is by far the sentient tileset. Holy cow. Like, that has got to be my favorite scenery in the game, there's just so much to look at, so many levels to parkour off of, its so creepy and intimidating, truly some of the coolest art and most fun play I have experienced in my 5 years of experience. Plus, I have finally gotten most all the shedu parts! 

I think the oplink system works particularly well with space because it allows a team to have a lot of freedom in what they do, but also allows for plenty of tactics and team comp. Once everyone puts down their oplink and you have a couple of defense oriented frames, you're free to do pretty much whatever you'd like. Somehow bored of the sentient tile set?  Go out and destroy those pesky cruisers and sentient ships. Heck get a teammate to join you and go wild with the space battles/position yourself for easy satelite pick up. Feel useless on ground and in space? No worries! You can go collect important resources in asteroid clusters or from drops from ships or heck, just explore the murrex some more! The oplink system just compliments team comp and coordination well in my opinion since it allows for a lot of freedom, but still rewards overall team strategy.  

On that note, as far as the limbo and khora nerfs I am somewhat indifferent to them. Limbo is still king of CC, and I honestly don't notice the stasis nerf much at all. Though I don't approve of a healing move being gutted, I do think that a cool aspect of the event is the fragility of oplinks so anything that can heal them is a no go in my opinion. Makes you a lot more cautious in keeping them safe (which I guess can lead to toxicity but I haven't encountered it much personally, and I've been on at very minimum 50 runs so I'd say its been surprisingly civil). To add to this, I have found a lot of very useful niches for frames I didn't expect to be there! Garuda is nuts in this mode which is super appreciated! More so than just that there are plenty of usefulness in practically the full cast of warframes which is so welcome. Sure there is a meta, which everyone usually employs, but so many of those who hate this event aren't experimenting much with it I feel like. Do too much of any build and its going to make you hate what you're playing.

This is seemingly a controversial take for some reason, but I find the flotilla concept to be pretty neat. I enjoy the leader bonuses (because I enjoy the event I run it a lot and its nice to get a big cash out whenever you do well.. makes me feel very rewarded for running it so much) and it makes it kind of a fun race within each flotilla to be the best. I get that people don't like this because those with the best gear and best strats get the bonuses more than anyone else but consider, isn't that kind of how its bound to happen? Might as well reward the dedicated community for being, well, dedicated. I also like how as a collective flotilla you have to shoo away 100 murrex as a total. Seems like a more imminent threat worth dealing with (and again getting a big bonus out of completing an objective as a collective is super great). Of course, sucks real bad when a flotilla doesn't get the bonus when we don't reach 100/100, but as long as you had fun for most of the runs it softens the blow a bit (which is why I say you should REALLY try out a bunch more builds during this time). I will say I've added a lot of people to my friends list because of this event because the space peeps seem a lot less salty when things may go wrong. As a side note, I LOVE the addition of flotilla chat. The yellow text can be a little annoying, and as a controller user swapping between chats is also rather obnoxious, but oh man I have never laughed so hard in this game before with some of the hilarious interactions I witness in flotilla chat. It goes a long way.

The rewards are great (to me at least). The weapons are cool, love the basmu, new test room is neat and I can finally get the arcanes I WANT instead of hoping for the best in eidolon. That has been the biggest plus so far, finally having max ranked arcanes that I used to have to shill out plat for is now just up to my choice. Also, for all those complaining about the market crash, well... I can be sympathetic to your loss, but also, its kinda whatever man.. I mean its literally just game currency, the prices were mostly scummy before anyway.

Biggest downside to this event has definitely been the bugs. The dead kill code bug really sucks in space, and occasionally railjack is prone to its jank, but I have to say in the massive amount of runs I've done I've only encountered only like 3 game breaking bugs where the only option is to abandon. Now that is with the disclaimer that I often host and I have a very stable internet connection so my experience may be a tad separate from others but so far I have been impressed with how little I've bugged out compared to how much I did when railjack first was introduced. The rest of the bugs have been manageable or just a slight nuisance really. Speaking of nuisance, the spawning in a new flotilla randomly is just awful, really just such a noticeable drag through loading screens... I THINK WE SHOULD HAVE THE OPTION TO SWAP FLOTILLA INSTANCES IN THE BACK OF THE FLOTILLA YOU'RE IN.  

Overall, for as much absolute vitriol this event has garnered I have REALLY enjoyed my time with it, and quite honestly find myself wanting to play it more. Can't really explain it any better than above, but I hope something similar (if not this very event) comes back in the future as I think the ideas are great, mostly well executed, and as always have so much more potential to go off of.

Tldr; I give the event an 7.5/10, only things need improving in my eyes are bugs and making ground missions more fun.

Edited by Obe-Ron-Kenobi
  • Like 1